Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home heating automation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Ethereal Cereal

Thanks a mill for this reply Deezell, very informative. Really spelled out whey the ecobee is not applicable to me. I'm going to have a look back over the last couple of pages, and see if I can glean enough information to plan my own setup. I appreciate the response!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭dam099

Thanks @deezell for the very helpful post, it seems running a wire is probably my best option although I had hoped to avoid that. So no way to do it with an additional receiver instead?

The Hive receiver firmware is actually still the stock firmware, my workaround didn't touch any of the Hive hardware it just used a software API to read status from the servers they use for app. All the additional control was then using the Z wave switch.

The location of the wall stat is actually probably more difficult to wire back to the boiler/receiver so if I do it will be to the hotpress.

Would I just use one strand of the wire from receiver CH On and use it to replace the switched live on my valve (leaving the existing live & neutral on the valve)?

Picture below of the hotpress valve, I cant see the wiring without opening up.

Post edited by dam099 on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,711 ✭✭✭deezell

Better to run a light three core flex, thenl valve could be off the RCD breaker, or vice versa, the Hive relay. Having an imbalance, Live through RCD but Neutral not would trip the RCD every time the valve opened. Its easy to check though. If they're both behind or not behind the RCD breaker, then a live core is enough.

If you can find a z wave sensor that will read the 220v at the Hive CH On output and close the switch you installed on the old stat wires, that would work too, without having to read the Hive itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭dam099

I am not aware of any Z wave device that would just read the presence of 220v on an input, I did consider that before but will try the google machine again.

I do have a spare Z Wave switch relay though so will power it up and see it how it shows up in Domoticz and Home Assistant when powered vs unpowered.

If there is a suitable attribute that allows me to distinguish between when it is powered and online vs unpowered and offline might be able to use that as a proxy for whether there is voltage on the CH On contact

i.e. wire its neutral input to neutral on the Hive and its live input to the Hive CH On. I presume then it would only power on when Hive is calling for heat? I would leave its switch outputs unconnected as would be using its status as online/offline to drive automation to turn on/off the switch on the old wall stat rather than On/Off.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Frostynight

Hi I've just got into the smart heating game and I have one or two questions. I have basically no electrical knowledge except, having installed one smart heating system correctly and I'm alive! :)

I got the wireless Tado starter kit. I did get radiator heating and hot water going but with a few hiccups: Tado says the wireless receiver and wireless thermostat can definitely replace a wired thermostat. That didn't work for me. Whenever I removed the old wired thermostat in the hall, the radiators would not heat. Why I wonder? I read someone on here mentioning that their wired thermostat seemed to turn a valve in the hot press? I wonder if that's the case? I might get a wired thermostat in my next kit just to get it going.

Would it be possible to heat just hot water? (I'm debating this now, as oil prices expensive vs. immersion heating). But, one year from now, who knows, maybe things will be settled in the east and oil prices will be down, so I would use it. If I can't get hot water going or even if I give it up, I should be able to wire up the next kit without installation, I don't see the extra benefit.

My set-up is: house with oil tank, new-ish Firebird burner, heating area has old manual heating controls, a separate on/off switch which turns radiator heating on/off during heating and a mains power switch on/off nearby. Tank in hot water press upstairs with immersion. Then I have an old manual wired thermostat in the hall.

I will be shopping for a new system. Tado was beyond useless, a massive headache. I got a refund from Amazon and I'm shopping for an alternative (preferably Apple HomeKit supported).

Cheers

• Advertisement

You say you correctly connected one smart system, ( the Tado?) but go on to describe the old manual stat in the hall which you didn't deal with. (Leaving it there turned up full is generally the simplest fix once your Tado wireless receiver takes over control of CH calls). If your system was capable of separate control of heating and hot water, using timers and manual switches, then the installation of the Tado with ext kit would replicate this, but only if the wiring was understood and correctly configured. Any alternative smart system to Tado will also be "next to useless" if not installed correctly. There are many flavours of CH/HW systems out there using at a minimum a single circulation pump for CH and gravity feed for HW, to various combinations of pump, or pumps, valves, single or S/Y plan, and various single or zoned mechanical or electronic timers, with or without a wall stat. How these are cobbled together is limited only to the imagination of whoever was handed the box of parts and the screwdriver during the build.

I'm guessing you probably have a single zone CH with a gravity HW system. This will heat CH with HW while the stat was open, or HW only when the stat is off, with the timer controlling heating periods for both. Moving this to a Tado or other two zone receiver requires a bit of wire tracing to get exactly right. Moreover, the two zone receiver needs to be capable of wiring into gravity mode, so that all calls to the boiler are a combination of CH or HW timer calls, but control of the valve or pump for CH is only operated by the CH timed/thermostat output. This can be achieved in the older Tado extension kit by setting a gravity mode in configuration. On the newer Tado or Nest HW/CH receivers which have volt free No and Nc contacts, these can be wired to emulate gravity mode. It's not immediately obvious to the diy installer if his system is a mixed bag of one timer, two zones, pump and/or valve, CH stat , possibly a HW cylinder stat also. Indeed, it seems to be beyond many of the 'trained' installers who rushed around installing the promotional 'free' stats which garnered huge grant credits for the utilities.

Post edited by deezell on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

Does anyone have any experience with Ideal Halo smart heating?

My neighbor gave this to me, I was going to get the google nest thermostat to integrate into my nest-aware account. I can't see any integration into Homeassisistant.

Not sure how well it will work for me in my smart home, I have the following smarthome devices

Google Home

Alexa

Home assistant (No intergration)

Does anyone know how well they work with Google and Alexa?

Thanks

BobbyT28

No is my short answer to your last question, but if you're getting an ideal combi boiler installed with the panel for the interface, you've nothing to lose by popping in the receiver unit into the front panel and trying it out. I assume you can set up schedules etc on the app, and I'd assume Google/aAlexa integration would permit requests to raise/lower temperature, either incrementally or to a specific temperature. If you require zoned heating with zone valves, an optional extra wiring receiver can be bought and paired to provide control directly to the zone valves. It's listed as a two zone add on, but appears to have terminals for mutiple CH and HW zone valves. Its not that expensive either for this kit which comes with an extra wireless stat for the second CH zone.

Suck it and see, its a doddle to add to the Ideal boiler when it's installed. If you're not going fir a combi with direct HW, I'd expect you need the add on valve control receiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭digiman

Can anyone recommend a thermostat for floor heating in a bathroom? I already have the Honeywell Evohome system with radiator controls, so preferably something that integrated with that would be good.

I already have google assistant so something that works with that either, I don't think it needs to integrate with Evohome once it integrates with Google Assistant though?

Is the bathroom the only UFH in the house. Is it plumbed or electric UFH? How is it turned on, as part of general zone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭del roy

Absolute IDIOT here but whats the difference in installation and running cost with this way of heating and the solar panels everyone is putting on their roofs

Thanks

It's an electric UFH, something similar to this one. https://tilestyle.ie/products/flexel-cable-mat-16-0?_pos=1&_sid=b9db0e419&_ss=r

This is the only room in the house that has UFH, I plan to turn it on via the thermostat which would treat it as an individual zone in the house.

@deezell Do you think something like this would do the trick?

Actually, never mind, it has some awful reviews.

So how is it currently turned on? Is it fitted with the 'digital thermostat ' mentioned in your link, or just wired up to a switch somewhere. Looking at the spec sheet for the one you linked, mains current requirement would be within the rating of a smart stat or it's relay receiver wired directly as the control. Most of these can handle 3a or more, even with 3m2 of UFH elements the current require is under 2 amps. If the wiring centre for this is in another room, or behind a switch just outside, you could wire an Evohome receiver to this location to turn it on, and locate the paired Evohome stat in the bathroom itself. If you're happy to have a separate app for the bathroom, you could choose any of the smart stats like Tado, Drayton wiser, Hive, and connect their receivers to the current switch point for this, then install their battery stats in the bathroom. I doubt if you have the 'digital stat' mentioned on the TileStyle link, its €690! Yikes. Descibe where the current switch is, on the wall outside? In the hotpress or up high in the bathroom ceiling on a pullcord?

"Absolute IDIOT here but whats the difference in installation and running cost with this way of heating ......"

Which way of heating? Do you mean UFH from the previous post?

"........ and the solar panels everyone is putting on their roofs".

The current solar panels explosion are PV panels, photo voltaic, which generate electricity when the sun shines, which is fed into your house mains, and optionally stored to battery. This solar power will reduce your electricity bill by partly or wholly powering your home appliances, which could include HW immersion elements, a mains powered heat pump, or even a fan heater. Unfortunately the highest electrical output is likely to coincide with warm weather, but it can be used to assist in powering an Air con unit, as well as keeping the beer cold in the fridge.

So they are two completely separate things, the "difference" between them is a bit like the old riddle;

Q: What's the difference between a Duck?

A: One of his legs is both the same.

It's a newly constructed ensuite in an attic conversion. So the UFH mat is already installed and the cable for it is pulled up to a point in the wall just outside the bathroom and there is electrical cable run to that point also. I "think" I just need to install the smart thermostat at that point in the wall and run a temp sensor cable to underneath the tile. Have you a link to the type of Evohome receiver you mean? I'm using 10 radiator thermostats at the moment, and I know the max thermostats you can use with the Evohome is 12. So, would this Evohome stat you mention take one of those last 2 spots? As I still need to put 2 more in the attic conversion, but I can probably take one of another bedroom in the house that isn't used much.

Mains electrical connections will have to remain housed outside the bathroom wall. You could use a wired Tado or Netatmo Thermostat to measure the ambient temperature of the room, and thus control the power to the mat, but such stats would probably not be permitted under regs inside the room while mains is switched inside the Stat. If you switch the mains in a receiver box outside, you can place the stat inside on the wall, battery powered and connected wirelessly back to the receiver. I'd have to check, but I think most are suitable for operating in high humidity.

For Evohome integration, you will require a wireless wall stat inside the bathroom, this one,

and mains powered receiver on the outside wall to connect the mains in to the mat terminals. This one.

The Evohome, and most other smart stats, does not have a secondary connection for a floor probe, used to limit the actual temperature of the tiles, to prevent toasted toes. Heatmiser is one of the few with a probe input, but this only seems to be installed in their mains powered stats, which I would think might preclude inside bathroom wall mounting, though they may be safe to use this way.

A simpler solution is to install a separate analogue mechanical UFH limit stat wired inline with the power cable to the mat to turn off the current should the floor temperature exceed safe levels, unlikely with 150W/m2 mat. This stat would be mounted outside also, beside the smart stat receiver. This arrangement will satisfy all regs and safety concerns. I'm guessing these low power mats will never actually heat the floor to toe tingling temperatures, and might even be installed with a simple on off switch, but an electrician will insist on an underfloor stat.

If you are happy enough to accept temperature control of the bathroom only by measuring the floor temperature, then you can mount a mains switching thermostat outside the bathroom, but you will not have direct control of the air temperature inside it.

This is a cheap UFH stat which can be wired outside, probe inside, and will limit the actual floor temperature according to the dial.

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/274699042709

Set to its max limit, it will interrupt power from the relay terminals of a smart stat receiver to the mat. The wireless smart thermostat inside the bathroom will measure the AIR temperature and control the mains wired receiver on the other side of the wall. I hope all this is clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

question to those who have upgraded from normal heating to smart heating.

i was looking at drayton in the prime sale. it is an expensive hobby to replace everything to smart heating.

the dual zone kit is 160GBP

if you have 9 radiators and want to convert them all, then 390pounds for 3 multi pack

for the TRV body - 9 of them - another 150 pounds.

may be 2 smart plugs to extend signal - 60 pounds..

total approx - 760 pounds :-(

Here's trv valve bodies for a bit less, 9 for£62.10, +£4 delivery, but I think they've only one in stock, plus I can't say they'd come from Northern Ireland without a vat demand

or get these locally 9 for €98.58,

these include the mechanical heads, so you can use straight away to cap and control selected room temperatures, then buy the smart TRVs in stages, say start with 3.

You could drop into Heatmerchants too, get a trade price on 9 valve bodies.

thanks @deezell as always for your guidance..it will definitely save few euros

otherwise do you agree with the costing i mentioned?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 steve584

Hi there, I was on here a few years back and got some great advice from Deezell regarding the wiring in of a Drayton wiser system which has been working great and can say that it has paid for itself already in the savings I made.

I'm back again looking for some advice on replacing a Flash Immermat timer that controls the gas boiler that turns on and off the hot water to my hot water tank. I can't really use the timer function on it as it’s in the hot press and the switch buttons get hit and the timer gets thrown out of whack when clothes are being put in and taken out by hitting off it. Also, there are times that it gets forgotton to be turned off leaving it on for long, unnecessary periods of time.

I'm wondering is it possible to put in a smart switch to replace this? I was looking at this one

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08SQNKSMS/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_4?smid=&psc=1

before it went out of stock, I even asked the question that was posted on the page, however I was worried if the amperage might have been too low.

Maybe someone here could point me in the right direction?

Apologies to @bittihuduga, this is a reply/rant I wrote in July, but never pressed the post button. On android, It sits in the cache until you next look at the blog.

If you're getting the dual zone, two thermostat kit for £160, and three TRV heads for £130 per pack, that's seems like top value.

If every rad has a smart TRV, then it's possible to have just a single main stat and zone, as the smart TRVs effectively create their own plumbed zones, so you don't actually need the two existing plumbed zones as such. It's still a popular and easier understood configuration though, upstairs, downstairs, then mechanical TRVs on most all rads within these zones, with the option of adding smart heads in selected rooms that you might want to lower temperature of or cut completely.

Upstairs for example, you might only want to heat the master bedroom from the evening on, and not any of the others. Conversely, one bed might be an office what with WFH, so during the day you will need this only. Most times landing and bath will be connected, with mechanical TRV capping, or just simple adjustment of the lockshield valve.

I've come across two cases of exactly this during Covid, in New builds. Upstairs zone required on during the day for office purposes, meaning all beds roasting daytime when the upstairs zone fired. All rads were equipped with mechanical TRVs, so capping was possible except where the zone stats were sited, which were normal valves, Master bed and Lounge. This seems to be the common config of all new builds claiming A rating, coupled with sprung closed doors to prevent convection flow from capped or closed rooms to used ones. Individual room TRVs, dumb or smart, are only as effective as the sub zone thermal isolation, but effective nonetheless. Most new owners I've met have defeated the spring doors though... banging drove them nuts.

My advice has been to add smart main stats if not already installed, and option smart TRVs. One new build I checked was fitted with big standard mechanical dial stats as the main stats, one recessed in the dry lining board next to the outside wall. The stat read as low as 12° due to cold outer wall air and conduction ingress within its confine inside the internal 100 mm dry lining insulated slab. The room was baking as the stat stayed on, the room air of 21° plus never reaching or influencing the chilled sensor space of the stat. Turning the stat right down to switch off the heat meant that when the room cooled below comfort, the stat was now set too low to respond and bring back on the heat. Every new house in the estate fitted like this.

I installed two Tado stats in this one, having sealed the recessed socket box behind as best as possible, but still had to add a 2° offset to counter the external wall influence as the stat was effectively mounted over a thermal hole in the inner 100mm insulated board. The metal electrical backing boxes were directly over the coldest outer leaf of brick, for the stat and also numerous power sockets, creating cold ingress. With Drayton wireless, you can relocate the stat optimally, but the correct wiring of the receiver is not as simple as a wired wall stat swap.

I seriously doubt if many of these new builds actually achieve A rating, as BER is assessed on a paper exercise, not an actual thermal test. Hidden errors go undetected. Same goes for used house sales BER, they just tot up all the visible attributes and score them so if you've installed a condenser boiler your rating rises, even though your house is still hard to heat, with poorly sealed dry lining and draughty sockets. Carelessly fitted insulation boards between inaccessible and uninspectable double leaf block walls, inner dry lining board to exterior wall returned to the exposed attic, not capped by the horizontal laid ceiling boards but inside them at the joint, creating a gap for cold roof space air to drop right down between the thin inner dry lining, making a joke of the insulated double cavity to the outside. (My own 1980s house, I discovered after purchase in 2001. Still working on it). Air whistling in through power outlets. Wall vent holes through the inner insulation leaf without sealing with 100mm pipe (lift off inner wall vent covers to check this one).

Smart stats and TRVs are beneficial, but a forensic examination of cold sources is really the only way to save bucks, but is slow and time consuming to remedy. Start with the stats.

You have a few options to replace this integrated timer with a wireless one, with app control. Something as simple as a SonOff remote mains switch would be an inexpensive option. You would have to figure the wiring of this timer, so that you could control the call.

thanks @deezell for your detailed input.

i didnt buy yet but may go ahead and get one now.

next thing is to find the ideal rads where i can replace mechanic try with the smart try.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 steve584

Once again thanks for your quick response Deezell. I was hoping to do a straight swap with something that will fit into the box left behind when I take out the flash timer. Would the unit I have shown in the link have worked? There are similar ones on amazon but they are 20A which seems high, probably for electric water heaters.

Smart Mechanical Switch, SONOFF M5 80 Type Wifi Wall Light Switch Works with Alexa and Google Home, [Neutral Wire Required] 1 Gang 1 Way https://amzn.eu/d/fEcOYzE

This or any of these single wifi app controlled switches would have sufficient current rating to trigger a boiler. Plenty of odd brand Chinese stuff on amazon for small money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

So turns out I’m actually going for the 24i Greenstar Bosch system boiler.

im not going to go with the ideal wireless. I’m going to get the Nest thermostat as I already have nest aware with cameras etc so will fit into my setup nicely.

Amazon have the nest 3rd gen learning thermostat on sale currently, Google Nest Learning Thermostat 3rd Generation, Black - Smart Thermostat - A Brighter Way To Save Energy https://amzn.eu/d/cnxDb1U

what’s the difference to that one and the this one for £249

Nest Learning Thermostat, 3rd Generation by Nest Labs https://amzn.eu/d/7zoY5HL

I have a thermostat in the bedroom. So I take it I have to install it there?

my home is just one zone, turn heating on and it heats up the whole house!! So I take that this nest will turn on/off boiler and do scheduling. Would it be any use to get wireless thermostat for the radiators like tado?

thanks in advance

BobbyT28

Second one is the battery powered low voltage switching US type. Not suitable for EU/UK. First is gen 3 mains voltage switching via the included wireless/wired relay receiver (heatlink box) which directly controls boiler, or two valves for seperate HW/CH zone valve switching. Stat is powered either by mains adapter or by wired power from the heatlink box. If you put this stat in the bedroom, it can be powered from the heatlink receiver relay located next to the boiler by isolating and reusing the wire pair from the old stat to the boiler. Very important to ensure these wires have no mains on them if you choose this method. Otherwise you can connect the Nest wirelessly to the heatlink and locate it anywhere, powered by small plug in charger. As you don't have a separate HW circuit, you can use the HW relay on the heatlink to have separate zoned heating for HW and CH, which will require some plumbing. Your current HW is gravity from the boiler? Have you separate control of HW and CH? I'll need to reread your older posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭shoehorn

Hello,

Some great info on this thread.. I hope someone can help a newbie here.

I'm considering buying a tado or Drayton wiser system. Some of my rads 'bypass' the two CH zones though, so I'm wondering if some plumbing work needs to be done first, because leaving the boiler ON, even with both zones off, the boiler still fires up to heat water and the 'bypassed' or 'non-zoned' rads which is annoying.

Here's my set up:

Grant oil boiler with on/off switch at boiler in utility.

Two rad zones controlled in hotpress (2x Immermat switches).

Some rads (e.g. in bathrooms) are not zoned (and non-TRV), but always open if the boiler is on.

Hot water is not zoned, but always heating if boiler is on (subject to thermostat on cylinder).

No room stats.

TRVs on most room rads.

We control the 'non-zoned' rads and water by turning on/off the wall switch that powers the boiler in the utility (a bit of a nuisance). So we have to go to two places to control the heating (hotpress for zoned rads, boiler in utility to knock off the 'always on' bathroom rads).

Questions:

Can the likes of tado/wiser cope with a setup like this, and control both the zoned and non-zoned rads? Should we / can we have the tado/wiser replace the boiler switch (not the immmermat ones) and we leave both zones open all the time and just make every room its own zone by adding smart TRVs to every rad? (I would like per-room zones anyway).

Water: we are getting an EDDI to heat the water from solar panels. I don't know yet if that will enough to heat the water in winter. Currently, the oil boiler heats the water whenever it's on (not a separate zone). Is this inefficient? I'm not sure if I should keep it so, or need to get the water zoned separately?

any advice appreciated.

• Advertisement

Are the two Immermat switches(timers?) opening two motorised valves to send the hot flow to their respective zones. When you turn on a zone, does this also bring on the boiler, or do you have to manually turn it on to fire. I would expect the boiler to be fired by the relays on your zones' motorised valves, but sometimes zoning is implemented using pumps only. A few pics will help. Is the boiler grant condenser boiler? If so, it doesn't operate as a gravity source, the circulation pump is required ON when it fires, which would explain why certain rads always heat when only HW is required.

The solar Eddie box is used the divert unused solar PV electricity to the Immersion element of your cylinder. For this to be useful the HW temperature at the lower level of the cylinder should be below the immersion thermostat limit, so that there is always 'spare cool water in the bottom of the cylinder needing to be heated even if the oil has just been on. The newer cylinders have this element horizontal and low down in the cylinder, so are ideal. Older cylinders with top mounted immersion may not be able to accept the electric source if the water is already too hot from the oil boiler input.

Advertisement