Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 spacey3

Curious, you guys have accounts in Ireland, with Irish VAT numbers linked to the account? If you order from any of the continentals sites rather than UK does it still give you the error message? Or does it do an Intra Community Purchase?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Just placed an order on the amazon.fr and it went through fine, the vat dedected at the checkout.

One thng to watch out for is the express delivery, this ususlly means that it will be dispatched from the UK and vat will be applied after the checkout process. I got caught out on this a few times and I had to log a ticket to get the charge reverted.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭dollylama

I have an Amazon Business account which I use very regularly. This is the standard Amazon account with some Business features like VAT invoices, discounts, etc.

I've tried ordering a ream of paper and a small digital scales this evening and I'm getting the following:

We are unable to dispatch non-digital items internationally to customers identified as businesses. Please choose a domestic delivery address to proceed.

You can visit your domestic Amazon store to access millions of products for delivery to your domestic address.

I'm delivering to my Irish business address as I've done countless times this past 2 or 3 years but I never received this error before. As there's nowhere to set an address as "Business" or "Domestic", I popped over to my personal Amazon UK account and placed the same items in my basket. Surely enough, they'll ship as normal but I'm not sure about the VAT invoice aspect, reclaiming, etc.

Has there been a change recently that stops Amazon or other UK businesses shipping to EU businesses? I rely fairly heavily on this account to keep our costs at a minimum but if this error persists, it's as good as useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 spacey3

This is it, I think quietly they have changed and removed anything from the UK in and out. Although anything else intracommunity will remain the same as it was. If you are in Ireland I would suggest you order from one of the EU sites with a valid vat number (always use Keepa to compare the prices on the websites huge differences for ordering things from different EU sites).

As with UK I think we are stuffed at the moment, it looks like anything below the £165 threshold they wanted us to self account for VAT has been removed by Amazon and that you can only order on a personal account so they can levy the VAT.

Anything above the £165 attracts duty and taxes and is shown separately on the order.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭EarWig

Amazon has opened its long-promised distribution centre in Dublin, allowing the company to offer faster delivery times to Irish customers and bypass some of the restrictions and hurdles imposed by Brexit.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/2022/08/04/faster-delivery-removal-of-brexit-barriers-amazon-opens-dublin-distribution-centre/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I wonder if this will mean easier returns ? I have an item to return where the postage will be way more that the value of the item.

EDIT Amazon CS said this :

I wanted to confirm in writing for you that, as we discussed on the chat,

It is too early to tell if you can return any dispatch from amazon order to the fulfillment centre in Ireland. Please also note that orders that dispatches from third party seller can be only returned to the seller facility and not amazon fulfillment centre.

You will need to check every order separately to learn about the return address.

For orders that dispatch form amazon and return reason is amazon error, Any return postage charges that you incur for this return will be refunded to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,781 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

LOL, I refused an Amazon package recently because An Post had given the packet a good beating with all the corners pushed in. I thought I'd get an automatic refund but for about 10 days the delivery details have said

Delivered to safe place

PORTLAOISE MAIL CENTRE,

In the end I got on to Amazon Chat who did a refund but wtf is "Delivered to safe place"

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,837 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

I got a Delivered To Safe Place message last month with a note that said "side gate" - they threw it over that.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

A friend of mine in NI got the same safe place message when he wasn't at home. The delivery driver left the parcel in the boot of his wife's unlocked car!

But in my case I got the safe place message after I'd refused delivery so the postman didn't leave the item at all and I don't live anywhere near the PORTLAOISE MAIL CENTRE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭VG31

That's where An Post Amazon returns are delivered to. It will eventually go back to Amazon but that won't show up on the tracking. You'll probably have to ask Amazon for a refund.

Yep thats it but after talking to Amazon in the past I was expecting to get a refund automatically - thats what I was told would happen. I left it about 10 days before I went on chat to ask for a refund but I'm annoyed that it wasn't automatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭EarWig

I don't think Amazon do such a bad job managing the BS. Driver fraud, customer fraud.....the problems must be endless.

If they refused or made a refund difficult then that would be another matter.

I've got to the point that I'm reluctant to place an order because I can't face the delivery headaches. The optimist in me says it's an evolving situation and eventually we'll end up with a process that is seamless. The pessimist in me worries that they'll put so many competitors out of business that they won't feel the need to get better.

Do you have Prime? We went from disastrous deliveries with "Fastway" and some very cheap first leg carriers before we had Prime to An Post for nearly all of it once we had Prime. An Post for us is very reliable although I know the same for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Sugar_Rush

Bought a laptop desk so, corresponding dimensions.

Light, but good sized parcel.

Returning it the day of receipt, it's perfect condition, no flaws.

Back in the box all good, printed off return labels from amazon.

Postage - this is the concerning part.

Being a large parcel and sending it tracked potentially, that could add up to being a significant cost?

Am I eligible for refund of postage costs? I believe there's some european statute that if the return is made in 14 days, I am?

Anyone have experience/information on this?

Post edited by Sugar_Rush on

In physics we trust....... (as insanely difficult to decipher as it may be)

Do people ever hire a courier to return such packages?

Or typically done through An Post?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

You are not entitled to a refund on postage for a change of mind. You can return it, but you have to pay.

A parcel that size tracked post costs more than I paid for the item.

I thought Amazon had a bullet proof returns policy (post labels paid); that sucks.

Not any more.

You'll only get a prepaid label if it's Amazon's f*ck up.

What is reason for return?

It doesn't suit the intended purpose.

Basically a laptop desk that I bought to use my laptop in bed, but the dimensions are such that it elevates too high and I have to strain my eyes and neck to see the screen.

I thought there was some policy called "blind purchase" where, cause you don't get to inspect the item until you receive it, there was a consumer right to return it provided it's essentially unused?

• Advertisement

That's a pain.

While the dimensions are published, it can be hard to ascertain suitability on furniture until it's assembled.

Have Amazon specified how much they will contribute towards return postage? You'd also need to check if they insist on you using An Post as I'd say a courier would be cheaper.

Amazon US offer DHL for international returns and I believe they will pick up (as well as you dropping off at their collection points) - might be worth checking out if it's a runner for Amazon UK

• Registered Users Posts: 2 rataosinho

so lads, no more shopping using business account on amazon uk, isn't it?

i went to the costumer service chat and requested the refund for my item that has been unable to be delivered and the refund for the business service which i paid 100£ for a year and turned out useless after this hecking changing of policy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

I ordered 4 x tripods from Amazon.de on Tuesday afternoon - it was delivered Wednesday by Amazon themselves.

I'm thinking that some stock is already in the Dublin warehouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭pnott

It seems that the Dublin warehouse is shipping some items. I have noticed some items have next day delivery now. I ordered an Xbox expansion card and it seems to have shipped from Dublin. Still had to pay €40 import fees upfront but Amazon refunded the €40 this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 madthing

Hey! just to add some info to this. Amazon are being weird. I have a personal account with a VAT number added to it. On the 15th of July onwards I have not been able to order anything. I deleted the vat number and there is no issues. Amazon's failure to provide a decent explanation could mean they are trying to whittle out anyone with a personal account and force them to go to amazon business. Has anyone tried to order to Ireland who does have an amazon business account? Is that any different? They gave me the same story again today "Hello,

Amazon Business paused its global exports capability on 14 July 2022 in order to improve the current customer experience.

We included exporting business to business from the UK to the EU Common Market in this pause. While this pause is in place, you will not be able to order on amazon.co.uk for delivery inside the Republic of Ireland.

Meanwhile, we would request you to kindly de-resister the B2B VAT details if you are not a business customer to see if you are able to place the order.

Though we do not have an estimated target date for relaunching our global exports capability and we appreciate your patience as we work to improve the customer experience.

We appreciate that this update may be frustrating and we encourage you to work with your Customer Advisor to discuss your needs and alternative ways to continue buying from Amazon Business.

I hope this helps. We look forward to seeing you again soon. ​"

It doesnt help. It useless. No point in paying for prime without being able to order? What is everyone else doing?

I don't have a business account but have had recent emails from Amazon ....

Are you sure you don’t want to take advantage of business-only pricing?

Access business-only pricing on bulk orders

• Registered Users Posts: 1 linepunch

To confirm this works!! (thanks Eddie) if it's not working for you after you log out and back in again it's because you have to clear your cookies on your browser (follow online instructions on how to do that or open a new incognito tab to test)

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Tenshot

The only thing about deleting your VAT number is that ordering from Amazon EU sites will, I presume, no longer deduct VAT at source.

I didn’t want to risk it so I’ve set up a new non-VAT account specifically for Amazon UK orders.

I really hope they get this sorted soon - it’s not a good long term solution.

Anyone else ever get issues with dispatch times (or lack of them altogether) for some Amazon Prime stuff?

This seems to occur mainly with heavy items and I've had it a couple of times now.

Item is available with Prime and in stock sold and fulfilled by Amazon, I have Prime membership but as soon as I order to an Irish address I get the msg We'll notify you via e-mail when we have an estimated delivery date for this item. Yet if I order to a UK address (and then cancel) I get a msg saying I'll get next day delivery.

I'm looking at an item that weighs about 15kg and its been on order for 11 days still no sign of delivery. Previously I had another heavy item that took a month to dispatch.

Amazon Chat is useless they just tell me, if pushed, that the item isn't available even though the website says its in stock. Other excuses have been its stuck in the system, you need to cancel and remake your order, you'll have it in 1-5 days, I'll escalate the issue etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭littlecopilot

Just got this message over the weekend. My £58 item stuck in customs. Sold and shipped by amazon item so don't understand why its stuck in customs since last Friday without any update. Was suppose to be delivered today and I have Prime.

I got onto support today and they were very unhelpful. Usually support are very supportive but just said wait till tomorrow. Told him what's going to change tomorrow as I'm guessing it will be still stuck there. Very disappointing being a Prime member and all.

Advertisement