Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

For what taking the easy option and passing side ways,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭McFly85

We deserved nothing there. So pedestrian. United are a terrible side that have been gifted a very handy morale boost tonight.

The big worry now is that if feels like there’s a massive list of things to sort out. Defence, midfield and attack all needs work. Some of these things will be eased with lads coming back from injury, but Klopp will need to solve a lot of it. Every team looks confident of getting something out of Liverpool these days, and to be fair, you can see why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,281 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Another injury on the eve of a game is just unforgivable at this stage with him. I've always given him the benefit of the doubt but I'm firmly in the cut our losses camp with him now. I'd take 5 or 10 million if we got it. I know JK won't sign a replacement as he doesn't do knee jerk signings but still, you can't be relying on Naby and it's compounded by the situations of Thiago, Hendo and Ox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

We just did'nt work hard enough, simple as that, no cohesive forward press, they out-worked us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Looking like Klopps last season at Dortmund,

Anyone who thought we'd be ok this season with our midfield options is absolutely nuts

We also need another goal getter we don't look like scoring at all

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Got what we deserved. Was hoping MaGuire, Shaw, Ronaldo would start, then Milner insteas of Fab and I got that feeling that things could go wrong.

We were fairly pityful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I blame that poxy eyesore of a jersey, ok maybe not the main factor but certainly a contributing one.

All jokes aside Utd thoroughly deserved it but our side is missing some amount of players through injury and if you can't trust bringing on any of the squad players when the starting XI are playing shite, then the answer must be investment in improving the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

He had nothing to hit. Double maked Salah, Firmino bring a ghost and Diaz coming short so he can try and dribble a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,538 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Liverpool were crap, but on any other night, man u would have scored 2 own goals. United showed a bit of fight for the first time in a year, took their chances but Pool still had 70% possession, more shots, touches, the lot except the stat that matters. I would not be surprised to see them revert to type against southampton at the weekend.

Carvalho & Fab need to start at the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Time to open the Russian vodka I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Yes that should be interesting,I have my doubts he is injured,a mystery illness at the start of the season,wasn't brought on against Palace and now injured. Reckon he will be gone by the end of the month. Fingers crossed

We're just very obvious. Keep a tight shape early in to keep us out. Then just try and hope one through ball gets you away on the counter. Then get back in shape and try again.

This summer does appear to have been a missed opportunity to turn over one of the midfielders, be it Milner, Keita or Ox and get in a different option. We're ow overloaded with aging and injury riddled midfielders and we're being outworked by teams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Injuries definitely don't help but we look a tired team to be honest. Lot of players playing at high intensity for years now. Especially last season having played every game possible. Squad needs refreshing and not just through player sales which has been the norm for years now. Investment needed. CL qualification is no guarantee either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭McFly85

I remember when we were at least able to use a double or triple marked Salah as a decoy and create space for our other forwards, but everyone’s on their own wavelength this season. Once Salah is marked that’s a lot of our goal threat taken care of.

• Administrators Posts: 54,111 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It's mad that after all these years and numerous failed attempts at making it work, we still see Henderson and Milner play together in midfield.

They can double up on Salah cause Firmino poses very little threat.

Gomez is a bomb scare at the back, and him being there amplifies TAA's dodgy defending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,202 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Carvalho has to start Saturday. Milner, Henderson or Firmino wouldn't be at any other top club

• Advertisement

To be fair Gomez has'nt played a game in two years, he has an excuse for being match rusty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭FernandoTorres

Milner was horrendous tonight and you couldn't fault him for effort. That's him giving it full tilt and it's no longer good enough for the league, let alone for a big game. Fabinho wasn't much better when he came on but I'd imagine it's more a fitness issue with him. Looks like it'll be a battle for top 4 this season.

Injuries are only so much of an excuse.

He chose not to start Fabinho.

Other than that, Thiago and Nunez (debatable at the moment) are in our best team that weren't on the pitch. Then Matip/Konate. But we all loved Gomez before that poisonous showing.

More than anything, we lost because Utd were more aggressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭steve_r

Felt very like the bad run after the title run. People were writing the team off then, worth remembering they bounced back, competed for a title and a cl after that.

Tonight was toxic and the midfield looked dreadful but this team will bounce back (it might take a while though)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Firmino my god, he hasn't been anyway decent in years now, the legs are long gone.

• Administrators Posts: 54,111 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The Milner sub had to be made at half time too. Carvalho looked good when he came on, a bit of energy about him. There was a point in the second half when Milner and Eriksen were running into their box and it was like watching football in slow motion.

Whatever if you don't want to start the young lad at Old Trafford, but it was abundantly clear in the first half that our midfield didn't exist and not to make a change at that point baffles me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,103 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Midfield was non existent. It hasn't been this season so far, apart from Elliott. Thiago is a massive massive loss. Keita & Jones' unavailability is forcing Hendo, Milner & out of form Fabinho to play.

The midfield is not covering the defence and so the defence is looking worse. Not enough creativity to the front lads quick enough. Relying on Trent & Elliot to play it down Salah's channel and it's easier to defend against as it's so one dimensional.

Bodies are needed. Jota is needed, Nunez is needed. Bobby can't run like he used to and not involved in the build up anymore. His race is run, ad goals weren't his thing but he was always involved. He's not really involved anymore. Matip/Konate is needed.

I think Milner was a super player, and is still a good squad player, but I don’t see him as a starter anymore, just someone you bring on with 10 mins to go and see out a game. It is an indication of the dire need for another starting midfielder to be brought in to the club.

If you sub Milner at HT then you kill any small bit of morale the team has,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

We were very passive. No way sharp at all, just not to the pace of the game at all at all. We started like a train against Fulham, but fell behind and we've been second best for the remainder of the 3 games really. Lucky to get a draw against Fulham, rallied with 10 men against Palace buy for over an hour we were sh1te, and again this evening. Laughing at the commentators on the Premier League feed (Mcnamara and Townsend) talk about how great United played, in truth they didn't have to play well at all, they just ran about a bit was all, and should have beaten us out the gate if they were any good.

Bournemouth now and then Newcastle. Newcastle I think I'm right have the second best league record since Xmas, what's to say we'll beat them? Not on this showing we won't. If we can't at least match these guys for effort we're onto nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Klopp has clearly been told he needs to lose a high earner if he wants his new midfielder. Plain as day.

And Keita is the one who we can flog, the fact he's unhappy is an added bonus.

Our transfer strategy is so rigid, we are always a few injuries away from a crisis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I think he left Milly on the pitch so could keep Virg in line

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

well at least he tried to do something.... VVD stood there like a tool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I think this is pretty much it Milner was bollixing VVD all game for not being up to a decent level and having a total lack of concentration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

VVD looked absolutely terrible tonight. He's hardly able to move. Team is in dire straits at the moment. They look shot after so many games last year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Midfield was always the engine of Klopp's side and the club have just let us get old and injury prone in that position. No legs or energy. A Klopp team can't function properly without legs and energy in midfield. If they can't press or run it exposes the defence behind it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭Damien360

Just tonight’s players:

Gomez shouldn’t be playing. Not even sure he has any future use. We have seen this before. He is not a good backup at all.

TAA has been getting very high in midfield and getting lost. He has been doing this for quite a while. Can we drop him for a few games or convert him to midfielder after all. He has been targeted in so many games and this is not acted on.

Milner got a new contract. Not sure why considering his age. Loyalty should never come into it.

Henderson despite his ability to motivate people on the pitch, he is not up to it technically at all on the pitch. I personally think he is a technical weak link for a while. Captaincy should not be an excuse to question his ability.

Firmino has lost it a long time ago. Time to send him packing. Nunez is the replacement so I can’t see him sticking around anyway.

Yes we have a truck load of injuries but so many of those same players get constant injuries. Before we question the sports science and medics at the club or how we play intensity wise (or should play), lots of those same players had injury problems before coming.

I still can’t understand how we got to here with a team that won 2 cups last season, was within a point of the league with huge points total and in the CL final. The squad is very thin and has been for a very long time. This feels like the VVD injured season all over again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

They don't even need to be world beaters, just functional and fit as I've said before. We don't have to bring in superstars in EVERY position of the squad, one or 2 lads who are fit ALL the time and provide a bit of stability would be useful.

Milner is one of the leaders and a veteran, taking him off at HT would embarrass him and maybe the rest of the team as well, while he added nothing physically, mentally his is important in our team.

Klopp is loyal to a point, and is well known for it, Klopp may have been looking at the longer picture by not embarassing the man. Just my take on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭Akabusi

Carvalho has to start on Saturday instead of Firmino.

Fab, Elliot and Henderson in midfield.

That will help us massively. Milner can come on for 5 minutes or so to close out games.

Sadly it looks like Naby is finished with us, I was a massive fan of his and thought he'd be the best player in the league with us, the talent is there but I don't know what has gone on with him. If he is off which looks likely we simply have to get a replacement.

Defence is the main worry for me. The two boys where all over the shop. Van Dijk was terrible yet again and arguably has cost us 3 points already this season. The injury has nothing to do with giving away stupid penalties or standing like a statue to give Sancho all the time in the world to pick his spot. I hope he gets his head out of his arse quickly.

Gomez is himself, and still cannot hold a high line. He is grand as a 4th choice and there will be games where he would be fine but against counter attacking teams we are asking for trouble. We just have to hope the 2 boys recover quickly.

I wouldn't be too hard on Trent or Robertson. Trent is the same as he always was. Teams have always targeted him and the space he leaves, the real issue now is that Henderson doesn't have the legs to cover the gaps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

**** night all round but I did giggle when I read a comment about Virg's defending for Sancho's goal: He looks like he was about to start singing 'Wonderwall'.

I just don’t think you can carry a player in a match like that, especially if you are going to play a high line and one of the CBs is rusty. Gomez looked bad, but the fact is the Utd midfield had time to pick their passes and Milner gave the ball away too often. Loyalty is important, but there should be a limit.

And BTW fair **** to Milner for chewing VVD out of it, not many would.

• Advertisement

Or the other one doing the rounds about him being arrested.

Klopp has said we should've won.

I love that man like a family member, but he can't be serious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

He needs a knock round the head if he said that, we have been terrible for all 3 games, maybe trying to deflect but I hope he's ripping them a new one

Doing a Tuchel? We didn't deserve to win that. Didn't work hard enough, by a stretch. Ali kept us in it with 2/3 good saves and they hit the post. We rarely troubled DDG. Ya we had all the ball, but we always do, that's not an argument for deserving a win.

I looked up the match stats on the BBC with 5 minutes of the game left and if you had'nt watched the game you'd say we were robbed, we deserved to lose but there was some positives.

• Advertisement
Advertisement