Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Agree with the above, though the succession planning idea seems a bit of a stretch for our CB. I think a lot of what might be attractive for Dempsey’s ticket is the back room team he has compiled. No guarantee any of those lads would want to wait for McStays tenure to come to an end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭spakman

Giving it to McStay because "he deserves a shot after all the stuff he went through" is a terrible reason to give him the job.

It should go to the best candidate.

Mayo have "deserved" an All Ireland for a long time, but that's not how it works!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭HBC08

I'm hoping for the McStay ticket and think he'll get it,wouldn't be too upset if was Dempsey either (as long as his financial backing isn't coming from that cancerous clown)

Great to have such options,I hope all Mayo fans will row in behind whoever gets it.

As mentioned a few times I think we're not far away at all from the top prize.If we get a bounce with the new management ticket and keep key players fit we'll be there or thereabouts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭BandMember

"Dempsey if not given the job will get another bite at it" - was the same not said about Solan after he stood aside/facilitated the return of Horan in 2018?

Just asking, if McStay didn't get it twice before, what would make it different this time around? He's been turned down twice before and (even though the last time was an absolute farce) was told that he wasn't the preferred candidate/didn't even get an interview a couple of years ago. So, it would require some explaining and the eating of an awful lot of humble pie if he gets the job, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭maximus15

If money is no issue then dempsey gets it . His ticket ticks all the boxes and possibly influenced by players or to keep players happy, higgins and Burke are on it too. I kno same could be said about Rochford and Buckley though, if they were well received by the current senior players in their last stint .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

McStay and Dempsey are the front runners according to the national media.

• Ray Dempsey: Oisín McConville, Declan O’Keeffe, Enda Gilvarry, Keith Higgins, James Burke
    • Kevin McStay: Donie Buckley, Stephen Rochford, Liam McHale, Damien Mulligan

I think if one is to select on management teams McStay would get the nod due to more experience.

McConville, Higgins Enda Gilvarry have never been involved with a county senior management team before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Any white smoke?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭BandMember

"McConville, Higgins Enda Gilvarry have never been involved with a county senior management team before." - sure if that's the case nobody would ever get a job intercounty management as nobody has any experience before they first start out!

As far as I'm aware, McStay had none before he got the Roscommon job, which, let's face it, didn't exactly go well or end well. McHale's CV at intercounty management doesn't read well either.

Anyway, whoever gets it, everyone will get behind them and give them a chance. All I hope is that the correct choice is made, just like everyone in the county.

Won't be announced til about 8.30 but it's Mcstay.

Overall I think most will be happy with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭maximus15

Don't get why most be happy with that at all, be happy for damien mulligan yes but rocheford and buckley got their chance before, don't need to speak about mchale, and mcstay as a pundit rarely praised mayo, acting like a jilted girlfriend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭muddle84

Any club delegates here care to share an update???

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭boosabum

Yeah its confirmed now

https://twitter.com/MayoGAA/status/1561786113727111169?t=23QJ9JOjGyIYhe-THOKl5g&s=08

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Anyone surprised? once he threw his hat into the ring with a stocked management he was always going to get this time and the county board wouldn't dare go against him a 3rd time.

They would if he wasn't self financed.

Best ticket got it I think,let's get behind them now and drive on.

We're one of the best teams in the country and I've a good feeling about 2023.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Yeah, McStay is a good choice, good to see Rochford and Buckley back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Mayo at their stage of development are not in a position to be led by rookies learning on the job.

McStay along with his very experienced management was chosen as expected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

Delighted

Cant wait for next year now. It has energized me .

I am sure it will be the same for a lot of the players . An extended break this year too.

We will come roaring back next year !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Jaysus @km79 ....you were keeping such a low profile there recently I thought you were going to be announced on one of the management teams ;-)

Great to have it finally sorted....looks like the dream team on paper so fingers crossed yet again for next year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

On paper I think the strongest package won out and I'm happy with it. There's a lot of experience there and McStay finally gets his chance. It's going to be very interesting to see the changes he makes with personnel and the approach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

This is it. He has big decisions to make on certain players and ignore past glories.It is going to be really interesting to see if he lays down the law like Horan did in his first stent. This set the tone for the start of everything that made us so special since 2012 and I think McStay is in the same boat again with a similar example. I hope he has the cuteness to do so as I think Horan lost this ruthless streat.

He also needs to find some proper forwards to really take us forward. He has a huge building job to get us back up as we lack real quality in the forwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Few roles if any that McStay took on that wasn't self financed. Looking at how well stocked this management team is I presume he's got the same wealthy backer as Horan had in the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Very happy with Mcstay & Co, looking forward to seeing what style of play he adopts

Absolutely would fancy castlebar to be in the running. I think you could easily make a case for any one of 6 teams winning it - ballina, Ballintubber, castlebar, garrymore, knockmore or Westport.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭TagoMago

Probably the best appointment. Not sure how much to read into it but AFAIR the Roscommon forwards improved a lot when McStay took charge (this may have had to do with a number of their forwards hitting their peak around that time, but he certainly brought them on somewhat after a few very bad years).

Shipping huge scores in Croke Park was obviously a big problem for them, but you'd be hoping having Buckley and Rochford around would mitigate that for ourselves. Will make for an interesting year anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Can't wait for the league to start. With the All-Ireland on so early this year, it makes for a long wait until next January (I think it starts back in January).

One of the main objectives next year should be to try to keep the lads injury free, if that is possible to manage. Injuries killed any momentum that we had for the year gone by - especially when it became apparent that Tommy Conroy and Ryan O'Donoghue's injuries were long term. We were playing on borrowed time from there on. Did well to get to the quarter final stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Not sure how much credit McStay can be given for improving Roscommon forwards. He took over at a time that Roscommon had successful period at U21 level which included a number of decent scoring forwards.

At some stage it has to become clear that posting vids of this lad is not beneficial to anyone.

Hes either an end stage alco or a bit touched,either way it's not cool.

• Advertisement

He also needs to find some proper forwards to really take us forward

Who are these proper forwards who are ripe for being found?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Absolutely. It's not funny anymore. Just videos of him complaining about everything related to Mayo GAA, for the sake of being heard.

This is the ask off McStay if he wants to win an All Ireland. He has to find forwards and develop them in the same vein as ROD and Conroy, otherwise get comfortable with deja vu. COC is not the same player he was and I hope he comes back as well as DOC, but with ROD/Conroy back in the fold, he will need guys of this quality to make that difference. Where they are - maybe they exist in the mayo development panel and are "ripe" or maybe they exist in some club like Kilmaine (one comes to mind from here). He is the manager and this is his job to find/develop these guys and this is why I say he has a huge building job. The ask is huge on him.

For the sake of being heard? I'm fairly sure he doesn't know he is being recorded.

I have to admit that I found the first couple of videos funny at the time, but as people have mentioned on here, it's really not on if he's being recorded unknownly. Any humour has gone out of it for me anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Colm Boyle was on OTB this morning and he mentioned about two players who have been impacted by injury that could fill some gaps. One was Mark Moran from Westport who promised a lot in the league in 2020 and hasn't been seen since. Then McBrien was mentioned. He's a full back and Boyler reckoned that he could fill that spot well to release Keegan into a more roving role.

Interesting that he also spoke about McStay favouring O'Shea as a full forward. That has been tried and could be a different emphasis put on it with perhaps more diagonal ball coming in and ROD or Tommy following.

IMO, one of the issues facing McStay is compatibility of Cillian and ROD. For me the chemistry hasn't been there between them the couple of times they played. Maybe Cillian becomes an impact player off the bench? How they can gel further I am unsure.

Has McStay done any interviews yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

Which games in particular did Cillian and ROD not work together? Against Galway Ryan got 4 points from play. The previous championship game they played together was the 2020 AI final where Cillian got 9 points (4 from play) and Ryan scored 2 points. I remember them linking up very well that day actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭blowitupref

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭boosabum

I'd be half expecting he'd keep the head down. Maybe he might address clubs at the next board meeting or something along those lines or via official mayo gaa websits. Be interesting to see if he and his backroom team have a big presence at the club championship over the next few weeks. Can be find new players or breath life into the existing ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Cillian can take scores from frees and he isn't as prolific from play as Ryan, in my view. Cillian didn't score from play against Galway, Ryan got 3 points from play and a mark.That's the point that I am making with regard to how they work together. Plus they are two strong leaders who have different styles. The question is how they can work better together to garner more scores from play. This has been our problem over the last few years.

Still don't see why you think they don't work well together? Cillian didn't score from play vs Galway, but it was his first game in 10 months. Ryan was very good that day so Cillian clearly didn't hinder him.

The evidence of them playing alongside each other is very positive so far. Hopefully both will get a clear run of fitness next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Lukekul

Hopefully Tommy Conroy's recovery is going well and the injury won't have impacted his playstyle.

I don't think the major gains are tombe made from ROD, Tommy, Cillian. They're all very good players and will be able to work together imo. It would obviously be a massive plus to have them all back next year.

But the big gains are to be made in getting players like Carr, Carney, Moran/whoever, to complete a really strong set of starting and impact forwards imo.

I think McStay will really focus and try to elevate these types of players.

Not a hope,he did his cruciate in Feb.I believe he is over in the US for the summer though.

Depending on the severity of it he might not even be back for the start of Mayos league campaign next year (I'd be hoping he would though)

• Advertisement

Thats fair! I couldn't figure out how he would be let risk affecting his recovery by playing in the US!

On the recovery time, Bernard Brogan did his cruciate in a February and made his return for an a quarter final that August! I know every injury and person is different of course, but I would hope he will be well fit for the league if not already!

Didn't hear it so going on your message .... Boyle was a great player but when I hear stuff like releasing Keegan when the man has miles up on the clock and cannot deliver to the same level he was savage at, AOS to full forward when he can't score and has lost the pace. Living in the past imo. Keegan is still solid in the full back line but moving him to the HB line is asking too much off him at this stage of his career and not been fair to him. We have Durcan and EOL who are excellent in this role and we don't need Keegan in there.

We have loads of Mark Moran's in the panel but they just don't move into the ROD/Conroy level. Why...well that is the question but I suppose it comes down to quality. Boyle is basically favoring the guys he played with and while this is "nice", it does not cut it and I hope McStay can see beyond this chatter. It will be really interesting to see what McStay does as the last two all irelands were "handy" ones for Tyrone and Kerry.

Agree about Keegan. He has been excellent in the full back line for the last two years. Don't understand the huge clamour to change that. We've loads of really good young, pacy options for the half back line.

O'Shea full forward has surely run its course by now too. I thought Jack Carney showed a lot of promise there so that's definitely something to explore further.

Yes you would hope Tommy can come back and continue to be on the arch he was on.He does have youth on his side and from what I hear is a determined character.All this is positive of course but there's no guarantee he'll still have the same level of pace.Confidence that the injury has actually healed is a big thing aswell,he has to trust its OK and this can take time aswell.If he got a few games under his belt early in the league I'd be hoping he might be coming into form/confidence next spring.A lot of ifs,buts and maybes though!

I think Eoghan McLaughlin has the potential but he needs to add scoring to his arsenal to be fair. I think Keegan is just fine where he is and has still managed to come forward when needed to tag on a score. To your point he probably doesn't have the legs to be up and down the pitch all day like in the past. I do think we need to get Mullins off the full back line though so looking forward to seeing what he will do there.

I agree on the forwards too, i do think there is something with Darren McHale and maybe there is a few more that will put their club championships! Really looking forward to the club championship now too!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement