Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What whisk(e)y are we drinking? (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭flended12

Ok, weird query alert.

The brothers birthday this week. Suggestions for a whiskey/whisky for a gent with a beard. €50 max budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 keoshow

Any of you knowledgeable chap and chapesses(?) know where I might be able to purchase a bottle of Johnny walker blue in the Meath/dublin/Kildare/Offaly area?? Don’t have time for online purchase unfortunately. Thanks and help!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,549 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Give Martins in D3 a call to see if this in actually in store:

You could give Sweeneys a call also in D3, their website doesn't list their full stock.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 keoshow

Sweet! Thanks a mil!

• Advertisement

Not sure if I missed it on the thread, but does anyone know what happened with L Mulligans Whiskey shop?

Seems to have gone completely since last summer. I thought it was a temporary covid thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,308 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Not sure if there's a better place to put this but for anyone passing through Stansted, Middleton 2022 release is £135 on the shelf but there are till spit vouchers giving 20% off another purchase, so with one of these vouchers from another person or a cheaper purchase, you can get yourself a bottle of Middleton for £108

• Registered Users Posts: 39,303 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

There are obviously scotch sherry bombs but I’d disagree they have “better” examples of the style than Irish. Even if 100% sherries scotch is more common, I find the smoke distracts from the sherry, personally.

The simple blackbush is 80% Sherry cask. I suspect Sexton is made up of the same component.

Bush steamship sherry is 100% Sherry

Redbreast PX is a blend of bourbon and sherry cask, finished in a 3rd Px sherry cask. It’s like Lustau on steroids.

Brabazon S1 was 100% Sherry 🥲

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Those are definitely the best examples of Sherry led Irish whiskies I could think of also.

It is very subjective alright. I’m not sure I can “taste” a Sherry bomb in a glass of Black Bush, no matter what it is on paper! The low ABV may be a factor. Nothing can really sing at 40%.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

I'm still annoyed I missed Redbreast PX. I didn't know it was a limited run when it came out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,303 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Those are some of my favourites tbh. Definitely partial to Sherry cask.

40% ABV is obviously, but too high an mask it too. There’s a sweet spot imo.

The other aspect is age. Black bush is relatively young. Even 100% Sherry cask will be subtle after 4 years. Where as something that spend 12+ years will have absorbed much more.

Then there’s also different types of Sherry. Fino and Amontillado are much lighter in flavour, than Oloroso and PX. I suspect even old Finos cask will never be Sherry bombs, where as PX is turbo.

There’s a PX only black bush available now, travel exclusive. Might be worth a look.

I was back in Ireland recently, and popped into Celtic Whiskey bar. Tasted the Redbreast 27 deconstruction (details below), and the Redbreast PX. I lived up to expectations.

Plus plenty of others to sip at the table

I’m just not a Bushmills fan, not many Irish whiskies in general do it for me. I try sometimes but there’s a wisdom also in just buying what you know you’re going to like.

Last few nights I’ve been drinking Berry Bros & Rudd Islay reserve. It’s a blend. Hard to get in Ireland but this is really, really good value, if anyone has the chance. Beats the pants off many core Islay offerings at this price.

Post edited by Black Sheep on

Somewhat ironically, considering my post above, I did actually try samples I have of JJ Corry’s The Gael and also the Hanson tonight.

The Hanson is apparently intended for cocktails and is grain heavy. Honestly, don’t bother, and I am a grain whisky fan when done well.

But the Gael was really, really good. I’d actually buy a bottle of this. Impressive depth and the price point is far less inflated than some other Irish whisky offerings at the moment.

Post edited by Black Sheep on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭2011abc

Black Sheep I reckon the Gael 2 I bought two or three (500ml :-( ) bottles of over lockdown is a ‘poor man’s ‘ ( person’s!) Barry Crockett .

Mellor I didn’t know there WAS a Celtic Whiskey Bar .I knew they had a retail shop alright and Dingle Whiskey Bar is ‘temporarily ‘ shut . How much was the deconstruction flite (spelling ?)

Ive been ‘dry’for a few weeks and headed out to Tesco with a view to picking up a cheap ish whiskey .I managed to resist but the Mrs diverted me to a local Spar on way home and after a quick Google I succumbed to a ‘Proclamation’ at €33 .Masters of Malt had seven all five star reviews . It’s sold by some crowd in Mayo and looks like a gimmicky job .It’s 40.7% .If you weren’t bothered by the piggybacking on our nation’s once sacred document the fact the 0.7 is to ‘honour’ the seven signatories …

Its a blend with ( small?!) Oloroso finished Malt component .

I wouldn’t be as effusive in my praise maybe as others but worst case it’s pretty darn solid and probably worth the dough . If I was being a little more kind I think I could stretch to saying it’s smooth stuff with a nice spicey tingly(Powers /?pot still-ish) finish on the tongue tip .And you probably can taste that extra 0.7% …( and there have been 46%s that you can’t )

In fact maybe it’s a (very :-( ) poor man’s JJ Corry Gael 2 . Prob would have gone for the Tesco Finest 12 at €35 or even BushAmericanOak at €30 if I could turn back time but this is def drinkable stuff and prob (far?!) nicer than Lidl West Corks just under €30 range

Anyone tried the ‘deluxe’ Slane?

Oh and the ‘cap’ disconnected from ‘cork’on opening so I threw the distributor an email . Teeling Single Malts had a cork breaking issue and they very generously sent me two separate replacements ( and caps -for yer head …etc )

Post edited by 2011abc on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Picked up a bottle of Wild Turkey 101 there. don't have much bourbon in my collection and i'm pleasntly suprised by it! 50.5% and a lovely charred sweet and spicy taste of it

Free shipping today (Friday) from IrishMalts.com:

Use code FSF to get free shipping within Ireland.

For our international friends, use code DISCOUNTINTL to get 15% off the cost of your shipping.

Signs of a rye whiskey on the way from Powers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

RTE news : Irish Distillers invests €250m in Midleton distillery

http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2022/0905/1320664-250m-investment-for-midelton/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

For the Powers Rye: At 43% and 750ml I wonder will this be American Market only? Hopefully not would love to try it

People are saying it should make it over here. I'll be chatting to someone from Midleton later in the month and will be asking about it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

Looking for some recommendations as only really getting into whiskey recently. Big fan of redbreast, currently drinking 15yr and love how smooth it is. Also have a bottle of Knappogue castle 12yr which I am not a big fan of, its ok but i find it a bit sweet (the bourbon barrels perhaps?). Based on those two preferences what would you recommend I try?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,975 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

• Registered Users Posts: 24 AnBeagalltach

Anyone tucked in to their Midleton Barrel Club delivery yet or is it for keeping?

TinyTipple.com is closing down. Was setup as an offshoot of Irishmans bar in Carlow when it was closed during Covid selling 50ml samples of their spirits stock.

I always thought they were a bit over-priced for their samples but there's 25% at the moment with code TIPPLE25

So I picked up some Bushmills Causeways Collections, Red Spot and some rare Knappogue Castles.

Tried JJ Corry's The Flintlock last night, not sure if it was the first or second batch.

A bit of a snoozefest, I preferred The Gael.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Where do you lads pick up your whiskeys from? Very poor stock of whiskeys in off licences near me in Kildare. I do be raging seeing the whiskeys you lads have

Sign up for Irishmalts.com mailing list. They periodocally have free shipping weekends.

OBriens and Celtic Whiskey Shop also do deliveries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭oleras

Just looking through the auctions, some weird shenanigans going on here.

https://irishwhiskeyauctions.ie/views/product.php?id=65622876

Advertisement