Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today I did something to my bike thread...

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

isn't water a solvent? though i know that's missing the point a bit...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭traco

You are correct, water is a solvent but not great at disolving grease, oils or dirt; hence why we add soap to wash our hands with water.

The older type of chemical cleaners have high volatile organic compounds, you know that kind of chemical smell. Lots have low boiling points and flash off / evaporate at lower temps than water. You hear of people getting headaches using them for long periods of time so should use a respirator for prolonged exposure and extraction. Vapours can gather and be a potential for fire / expolsion if ignited. They also dry out skin etc so you can see teh reason industry is trying to get rid of them.

Quick sambo now and hoefully a brief update.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i have one or two of them and find them so volatile as to be useless; some aldi or lidl disk brake cleaner in an aerosol can; it cuts through grease but evaporates so quickly that you've barely ad time to clean it off before it 'dries' again.

So new cassette on rear, think I'm losing the 16T cog so probably not that big a deal. New 53 chainring on.

New jockey wheels fitted, lower one was well and truly passed its best before. All cables run but struggling with rear brake. Suspect that it may have originally had an outer shield all the way through the top tube but that got changed to guides at some point. Rear exit one is stuck and no joy fishing it yet as it's a tiny hole in it. Tried a pull with a pliers but no movement. It's a Planet X Nanolight 920g frame in case anyone knows anything interesting.

Left it at that for the day so I can think about it. I might drill through it so i can crush it down and pull it out but open to suggestions. Next job after the cable challenge is to torque all bolts to spec and set up mechs and brakes. Another few hours in n it.

Few pics. Old and new 53T chainring. **** bearing in lower jockey wheel and crack and the offending metal ferrule thingy and one I found online.

Some more progress. All cables run, brakes set up and mechs clamped but will need tweaking.

Wheels back on and reused old bar tape for the moment. Have new tape but will fit that when I'm sure everything is 100% in case I need to pull it off again.

5.5mm drill bit sorted that stuck ferrule. Just bit nicely and slowly started to spin so backed it out. That made cable run a doddle and the new SRAM ones are stepped and fit nicely.

Threw on the chain but it seems long so a compare to the original confirmed it is. I will need to read up on that procedure to figure out what I need to do.

Few pics and it's looking more like a bike again. Hopefully a test ride tomorrow all going well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

Great stuff, love to see the work other people are doing on here

Death by zoom meeting this morning!

Wonder would I get away with taking the laptop out and turning off mic and camera to finish the job??

All back together but still not 100%, only 95. Shifts are much smoother and drivetrain is a lot quieter which is great. The problem however is that it won't hold on the large cog on the rear cassette. It shifts in perfect but pops back out. I think the issue is the ratchet in the shifter. Had a look from the side and it goes in but just won't latch and hold. It may have been working before as the cables and mech were sticky with dirt etc so the rear mech spring wasn't able to load the ratchet mechanism as much.

That aside, shifting is much smoother and braking is night and day. Levers are so much lighter. Looking at them as much as you can they were very black and dirty so would have been a lot of drag.

Plan is to knock up some miles now, have a look for a spare lever to use as a donar for when I pull the dicky one apart.

So thoughts on the job. Not that difficult, little fiddly in places but it is time consuming. I suppose it took me around 7 hours in total. No idea what a shop would have charged but I now know the bike intimately which can't be a bad thing.

I'll double check part but I think it was around 120 and then my time. I have access to a lot of tools so that makes things easier for me.

Anyway here it is ready for road, so if you pass a fat bloke on that bike say hello as you fly by!

are you sure the limit screw is set correctly? perhaps it's not letting the derailleur settle into the correct position.

Pretty positive that's fine, it pops on perfect and the ratchet engages. It will sit and spin on that cog nice an quiet but once I release the shift lever the ratchet doesn't lock in and it drops back one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Elvis Hammond

When you shift to the smallest gear at the back, did you make sure that's the last click on the lever?

I've never had a bike like this so I just weighed it on the luggage scales and it's 8.1kg which I think is fairly light.

Yep, checked that as first time test it hopped off between sprocket and frame so pretty sure it's right now.

It's clicking like it's trying to lock in but just not abe to hold. Not sure how to explain it better.

Deep clean and degrease done this morning. Added a new chain and removed one of the spacers in the stack to make it a bit faster. Two spacers left and will remove gradually over time as long as the back doesn't complain.

Bought the bike last October and still looking and feeling fresh after doing about 9k on it since then. It took wrecking my first bike to realise how important it is to maintain a bike.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

RIM BRAKES.

Never really understood the adjustments even when I Club / Vets raced. Always releasing the cable and centering to compensate for whatever.

YT yesterday and I’ve picked up about shoe’ing in the pads, individual calliper arm adjustments and barrel adjusters (rear mech also). Barrel adjusters we’re always seized with gunk so stripped everything and greased.

Barrel adjuster was completely seized. Got it apart after a bit of finagling, will clean the threads, regrease and reassemble later, then pop it back on the bike on Monday

I wasn't particularly happy with the bar tape on the new bike, and I wasn't overly happy with the wrapping, seemed a bit loose. This proved true on the ride last weekend, so I ordered some new fizik bondcush. I thought I was ordering the same as the orange tape on my other bike (except in black), but it turns out I ordered soft instead of classic.

It has a more foamy feel, but still feels tougher than what I took off

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Gerry

replaced the lower pivot bearings on my full suss mountain bike. was going to leave them to shop but I left it too late before the carrick enduro. And I've done it before, this was a bit easier as all the bearings are into an aluminium link.

Can't find pictures of the extractor but it basically consisted of a sleeve anchor / expanding bolt.

Took my time making up the press, wanted something foolproof and reusable. used an old bearing plus a nut which locates centre of the bearing.

Satisfying job over a few evenings. Will probably need to do it yearly even just to allow proper cleaning of what is a proper dirt trap.

Upper link next but not as urgent, feels fine and doesnt get same amount of mud attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭devonp

put the good one into the attic...along with the summer gear and took down the autumn/winter stuff 😕

Just fitted the raceblades to my bike. They are surprisingly neat and unobtrusive

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Given how easy it is to take them off (and re-fit when needed) and it's not raining today...

Yeah, they really are ideal for the puropses of this bike

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭hesker

Just took a quick one there before I left the classroom. Dunno how clear it is...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Quite discreet alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭hesker

Looks great. Nice clean chainset too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I wish the clip on Raceblades had the piece behind the seat tube just to save the feet and chainring getting wet. If I get caught without shoe covers on my ebike with full cover clip on mudguards my shoes are pretty much immaculate.

I bought the raceblade long, and it has a short piece that clip on just behind the seat tube

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Added LED strips to my Bakfiets during the week, hard for people to claim they can't see it at night now

😁

• Advertisement

Speaking of things chainset, I've been contemplating getting a cheap chainring guard for this bike, too.

I wear shorts in work from April to September (well, April, May and September), but I'm in tracksuits/jeans the rest of the year. Currently my solution is to tuck the leg of my trousers into my sock, but if anyone has recommendations for a chainring guard, let me know

Advertisement