Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,657 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

The thing that worries me about Naby , Thiago and all our injured players are they getting hurt in games or training?

I know when JK came 1st there were a lot of training ground injuries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,281 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp tells Sky Sports: "They were really aggressive in the beginning, it was clear what will happen. They were more aggressive than us and they hit the post early on. They scored the goal and we took over and played the game we wanted to play. We were unlucky with situations against an opponent like United, it would have been helpful to score and go 1-1 at half time.

"The second goal does not help then it was a hectic game after our goal, definitely not the result we wanted.

"When we calmed down we have extreme number of shots for an away game at United. we should use more of these moments, the second half David de Gea made a fantastic save. If you score then the game turns then we did not have enough time or power in the end.

"When you are in a game like this fighting, these guys talk to each other and on the pitch it is a different conversation. It was not a perfect performance, it was clear United would get out of the blocks but we were not 100% ready.

"We had to keep chasing the game and that is not what you want to do. It makes it difficult with their counter-attacking threat. The second goal is hard to take, it was offside, but we have to work with it.

"We are in a tricky situation injury wise, we got through the week with 14, 15 senior players available and now have to make sure they don't get injured. We should have won this game, I know it sounds ridiculous but that is how I saw it.

"I am concerned about our situation, but that is how it is. We prepare for Bournemouth and Newcastle now."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

If we had won our first two games nobody would have batted an eyelid at Milner starting, it was utd and they're shite, obviously given the gravity of the game and the terrible form we're in you're right we just could'nt afford to carry passengers.

I thought Milner and Henderson we not lacking in effort they gave it their all but Miner's legs have been gone for 12 months now and as much as it pains me to say it Hendo looked awfully leggy and slow tonight.

Sorry, no, you can’t say that if we had won the first two games no one would mind Milner starting anymore than you could say if Utd had won their first two games, no one would mind either. We didn’t win them. No one doubts their effort, but they made the Utd midfield look good by not getting to them quick enough. I think Henderson is still in our best midfield, but you can’t play both of them.

Don't necessarily agree Milners legs are gone. It's his ability on the ball that's most lacking. Misplaced passes all over the place from him. He ran his arse off but there's just no quality on the ball when he gets it, all you want him to do is give the easy short pass to someone who can actually create something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

I said it Monday after seeing hendo close up that his was leggy and got shot down, not sure what it is but he's struggling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Isn't that a byproduct of legs though? We obviously know he's a very good passer of the ball - but everything is harder when you don't have the legs to do that after a sprint. He looks like he still has decent stamina for pure running, but not so much to do skilful things after a run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Was there some talk Juve were interested in Firmino. Bite their hand off and get in a ball carrying work horse midfielder.

Absolutely depressing seen us outworked in the first 3 games so easily. You go back to our midfield of hendo, Gini and fab, never the most technical but you'd never outwork them. Covered every blade of grass, tackled and passed the ball effeciently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I don't think he actually said that... Dave Jones just inferred that after the interview (which was then clarified by him as they 'could' have won it with the chances), but Klopp never said anything like that we should have won.

I just seen his interview he did say it, it was embarrassing

• Advertisement

Ya you could be right there. If that is the case though then surely it has to be obvious to the coaching staff. I understand he's a hugely important player in the squad but it's so obvious looking in from the outside that hes not good enough to start now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Thats exactly how we know his legs are gone, He has the engine to keep running about but he puts so much effort into it his concentration is gone,

Even for the first goal he has to work so hard to get there he throws himself at at it, If it was 3 years ago he closes him down without having the throw himself

Yeah i could'nt disagree with any of that i suppose, what is concerning is that everyone seems to be out of form at the same time, we just look out of ideas.

I hate to keep harping on about Mane but that workrate he had off the ball was special, the understanding he had with Bobby and Salah you just don't see it at any other team, Thiago as well when he does'nt play there's such a drop in quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,103 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

You want to go into the rest of the season with only Diaz Jota Nunez & Salah as attackers? Only 2 of them were available tonight.

Bobby's legs have gone, and he looks like he could be finished, but he is still needed in the squad. 3 attackers left during the summer and 1 was brought in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

We do need another forward but he offers almost nothing now. Im just saying if there was money been offered and could be spent on a midfielder we should.

I did'nt see it that way, what i took from it was we should have won, as in, it's a game we should have won if you were looking at the fixtures.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

Klopp says illogical or controversial things at times in post match after poor results to take talking points away from players.

Maybe will need to rewatch united fully deserved the win but palace did too and Fulham , depressing

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bdmc16

Theres clearly alot wrong with team at present but we just have to tweak the defensive tactics at this point to stop conceding first. That's 9 times in 10 games which major problem when we can't seem to break teams down anymore. Trent is an unmitigated defensive weakness and when the CBs arent playing well on top it's just a shambles at the moment. Sancho has the time to stand on penalty spot with the ball, fake a shot and then place the ball into the goal.

That was rock bottom Liverpool and peak United and the frustrating thing was if any quality at all there at crucial times there was an totally underserved point to be had there but we couldn't craft anything.

We are a million miles away from peak mane, Bobby, salah days and we should never start Hendo/ Milner midfield again with a ridiculous combined age of 68.

I understand what people were saying a few days ago when they said the transition hasn't started yet. It hasn't actually and it's becoming a major issue.

• Advertisement

We have realistically 4-5 players to come into that team tonight, big players, quality players, it's a bad start, but we'll get our **** together, tonight will be a major kick up the backside.

A quick look at a few articles in the media with player ratings, as you would expect TAA/VVD/Hendo/Milner/Bobby got slaughtered.

A bad couple of weeks, but three home games and a derby against Everton gives us a chance to get back on track.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Was the match that Bad? I went to the wombats tonight!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Put it this way, you were the only here lucky enough to see a scouser perform well tonight.

Good choice of entertainment, match was wretched.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Hahahahaha **** that lads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Virgil and Trent look so casual at times in defence. Virgil has taken to strutting about like he doesn't want to get his shorts dirty. Didn't dive in to try and block Zaha's shot against Palace. Trent just strolling about the place oblivious to a game of football taking place around him. For Sancho's goal he had actually stopped running in his own penalty area to just look when if he kept going he would easily have got to Sancho before he took a shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,979 ✭✭✭doc_17

Who the feck does Milner think he is to confront VVD like that? Whatever Milner has won has been because of player of the calibre of VVD. How can such a limited payer like Milner get in our team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Van Dijk seemed more intent on not committing handball than attempting to block the shot. Great header by Salah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

No one on the team should be untouchable from a bollocking if they have made a mistake.

Milner is a hugely experienced player and if he felt that Virgil fucked up, which by all accounts it seems he has, then he is quite within his rights to give him a wake up call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

A terrible night and an awful start to the season. But tonight was our first defeat in the league since December 2021. We have ten players out injured.

Our biggest problem is at CM - too many ageing and injury prone players. We really should have brought someone in. Henderson and Milner should never play together - I’ve been saying it for years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Klopp will pick more or less the same team against Bournemouth, maybe Fab in for Milner, he did this at the start of 2021 when we went through that dreadful run of defeats, kept playing the same team and was very slow to make changes even when it was clearly not working and better options were available. He is loyal to a fault, great when everything is going well like 2nd half of last season, but, doesn't help when going through a crisis, as we are at the moment.

It's been clear for a long while we are light in midfield, we basically have Thiago (fantistic player but injury prone), Henderson & Fabinho ( both seem to have fitness issues this season) and 2 inexperienced teenagers ( Eliot & Carvalho)after that we can't really rely on the others, Milner ( great attitude but, legs long gone) Ox & Jones ( not good enough, plus availability issues) and not forgetting Keita who is constantly injured and seems to want to leave, personally hope he never plays for us again.

Anyone who still thinks we will seriously challenge for the title this season really haven't been paying attention, we will in all likelihood finish comfortably in the top 4, but, a serious title challenge is already compromised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Definitely smells of early 2021 alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

It actually smells of 2018, literally. Apart from Sadio and Gini, its the same team that was lined out against Lecister on sept 1 2018.

And of course Milly can hand out a bollocking to anyone on that team. Collective responsibility has been a virtue of almost every succesful team in history. If all those guys dont see themselves as equal, how could they possibly preform as a team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭Enzokk

We have 10 players unavailable. Yes you could make the argument we know these players are injury prone but nobody seemed to complain when we were chasing 4 trophies last season. We are a machine when we play well, but it is because we are more than the sum of our parts. When everything works well we are unstoppable, when it goes wrong in one area we struggle.

In 2020-21 it was injuries to the defense which meant our midfield had to stop their press higher up which compromised our attacking line. Now it is the midfield and this does not protect the defense as well and it compromises the attack. Welcome to the world of supporting Liverpool. We take the good with the bad, but it seems like many would rather give up after a few bad results. I hate losing and I really hate losing to United, but there are reasons why we lost last night and have had a bad start to the season. Keita is frustrating, but he sure seems to be in a lot of the teams when we play well. I think we have 4 midfielders that, if fit, makes us very good. That would be Fabinho, Thiago, Henderson and Keita. Pick 3 of those 4 and we have a very good chance, but lose 3 of them and it spells trouble.

In any case, we are all frustrated and angry at the moment, luckily the next match on Saturday to try an turn it around. Less time to mope around. Let me just add this, United beat us by playing the only way they have been successful the last 4 years, on the counter attack. They were clinical and quick and this performance was similar to how they beat us 3 years ago and how they beat City then as well. But they still were lucky not to concede when 1-0 up and were throwing themselves in front of every shot. They cannot do this for the rest of the season as they will not be up against City or us every week that allows them to ply on the break. So next week or the week after they will be in the news again for a bad performance. I would still take our team over theirs all day long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

Wretched performance.

We're much better than that, but as we all know: injuries, the midfield needs a desperate refresh, and some players need to reflect on poor performances, and refocus.

Keita and Ox simply wouldn't be factored into ANY midfield thinking for the obvious reason. As a sidenote, the carry-on with Keita and his agent is very disappointing, and an ill-timed distraction that will create resentment among supporters.

Milner is a legend, BUT should be confined to seeing out games as a sub. He hasn't the physical speed and dynamism to be in the engine room of a team with our ambitions, particularly from the start, especially in such a high profile game.

Similarly, Elliott is still a bit too young, raw and slight for me. There's no denying that he's brilliant, but it's a little too soon for him (IMO) to feature in such high profile games.

Bobby sadly should only see sub minutes now. The situation with Nunez and Jota is frustrating, but Carvalho's arrival should offset that somewhat. That said, another option in that area should be on our radar.

I would hope that Klopp and Management would reflect and privately acknowledge that they need to be a little more flexible in their recruitment, as this team would benefit a new signing impetus.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

Your first paragraph is not exactly true. There were posters expressing concerns here about the midfield and the need for a gradual phasing out during last season and as far back as the season before. Any attempts to start a discussion were quickly shot down and scoffed at by the same vocal few posters, who apparently had a big problem with anything they construed as negative being posted in the thread. The age profile of key midfielders and the injury record of others was certainly pointed out last season.

We have ignored the signs. Keita, Ox, Thiago and Matip have all been injury prone for as long as they have been at the club, not just this season. Bobby has shown no form for almost 3 years now. Milner's legs are gone in terms of playing regularly. Henderson was showing signs of age and slowing down even last season and Fab has picked up his fair share of injuries also. The midfield problems we find ourselves with now have been brewing for a while.

I am interested in how we attempt to address it. Do we go to the transfer market or even can we? Do we change formation / tactics given how exposed we have looked in defence? Or will we just plow on and hope everything will be alright once we get a few players back?

I said it back in May we should have got rid of Ox & Milner and Loaned out Jones and brought in 2 competent midfielders

Milner is a legend but his days are gone, it's like when uv a golf club u keep messing up with u just take it out of the bag so u can't use it anymore,

Diaz is a fantastic footballer but he just doesn't get into the box like Mane, it's making it easier for defences to mark him and also Robbo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

I think pretty much everyone still thinks we'll finish well above United, I don't really care where they finish to be honest, but, there's nothing stopping other teams playing the way United played against us and getting some kind of result. Everyone knows we have a lot of players unavailable, but, we have 3 or 4 players who constantly miss large chunks of the season and this hasn't been addressed, that's only sustainable for so long and will eventually catch up with you as is happening now-doesn't matter how good a player is, if he's unavailable for large periods of time it's going to cause issues. The point is that when we go through these bad patches we need to limit the damage, but, we don't seem to be able to do that, for example starting Milner last night and leaving him on so long really was asking for trouble, sometimes you need to adapt the team and gameplan to what players are available, we generally don't do that, United as poor as they have been adapted their team and gameplan to suit the players available ( or who ETH was willing to play). None of us like losing especially to United, but, it does highlight that carrying injury prone players is unsustainable for any team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Hopefully the doom and gloom is being felt on the dressing room as well. And the players/staff use this performance to galvanise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭cmac2009

I think it's quite clear from Klopp comments that he wants to sign a midfielder but it's not being sanctioned by those in control of the purse strings.

His latest comment after Keita injury:

"Asked if Keita’s latest setback would change that stance, Klopp told Sky Germany: “It’s a little difficult (to answer). I’m not really the right person to ask."

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Wasn't confident when I seen Milner and Henderson together in the team. Fabinho should have started, even if he hasn't been playing well. Hopefully an other midfielder is signed because we badly need one.

Don't know whats up with VVD but he has started the season way off the boil which is having an impact on the rest of the defence.

For their second goal both VVD and Henderson where at fault. Henderson's poor control in the centre of the park and VVD's too slow to react to the 2nd ball.

Regarding Firminho. He always takes a few games to get up to speed so not suprised he wasn't at the races last night. Credit to United, they were well up for it and deserved the 3 points.

I k ow it's never going to happen but it be nice time to move Firmino on and bring in another forward,

Such a disaster with injuries then the whole Nunez suspension couldn't have come at a worse time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭jones

There's a lot of issues right now with Liverpool, injuries being massive but also not strengthening our injury prone midfield or forward line after a record length season last season but the biggest worry for me is how blunt we are looking going forward.

We just do not look like scoring this season, we hold onto the ball for eternity but with no penetration. Obviously a lot of this comes from our midfield issues but I think it does highlight the loss of mane. Salah is trying but is getting marked out of every game. Something is fundamentally wrong with the team as it currently is.

Elliot and Carvalho are two of the few positives so far but Bobby is done as is milner in terms of starting League matches. Gomez looks very rusty but I still have faith he'll come good. Biggest thing is we need a midfielder and a forward now - not next season not in the January transfer window now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I was resigned to an underwhelming season due to our activity in the transfer window so I'm not feeling too down. Manchester United beat a team thrown together 2-1, and like their life depended on it, so it is not the end of the world.

What is disappointing is the players turning on one another, or doing the minimum against a team like United. That is embarrassing and I hope Klopp went through them at FT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,103 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

A lot of the problems of the team so far this season can be put down to physical attributes - injuries, lack of fitness, legs going, lack of energy in midfield, burn out after going for 4 trophies last season etc.

But what would worry me more is the mental side of things - going down 1-0 again. What is it, the 8th game in a row or something. The slow starts. The constant mental battle to have to score at least 2 from a losing position to win a game. VVD arguing with Milner, maybe he needs a reset. Henderson going walkabout from midfield last night because he is not clued in. These are the leaders and a large part of the problem. Nunez getting wound up and reacting etc. 

This group used to be mentality monsters. Where has that side of their game gone to? Are they burnt out mentally? 

New bodies will inject a freshness and energy into the team alright, but they need to clear up what's going wrong internally first. The players/coaches can change this. They can't influence transfers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Its a seachange from his previous comments on the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Robert2014

Instead of looking for a midfielder, we should be looking for a right back and move Trent forward. He really is not improving his defending, and has been responsible or partly responsible for many of the goals against, including one Champions League final. It's like he has no interest in defending, once the ball goes in behind him he gives up. He plays so high up the pitch, he may as well be a midfielder now. Playing him right back was the right thing to do, but I think the time has come for a change. It may be too late now for this season unless he is not picked for the World Cup (which may happen on current form) and there is a month to work on it. I thought this at the end of the season but it's more obvious now. Not sure it would solve our problem in the short term but should be considered for the long term.

Just thinking preparation for the game must have difficult we had something like 14 player unavailable , & then you had Bobby just coming back , it must have been difficult in training to get any sort of good sessions going ,You'd also have to worry of pushing them to far and someone else breaking down,

• Advertisement

Iv a bit of understanding for Henderson , He was playing as a 6 last night and the two lads either side of him for different reason are not the most athletically gifted, he had a hell of a lot of covering to do for them ,

I'm sure there was plenty of time Hendo wanted to go get involved in build ups but had to hold himself back & be that 6

Advertisement