Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Cheers @Villa05! I never had any desire to buy/own a property. Just wanted somewhere secure to live.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,937 ✭✭✭hometruths

You understand that in the event it burns to the ground, it will be the people at the bottom who bear the worst of it, yes?

I'm not sure that I do understand that, but I hear it trotted out regularly. Could you talk me through it?

It sounds to me like a lot of scare mongering, more of the "Be careful what you wish for" reaction to those posters who dare to say they hope to see property prices fall.

If SF win the next election it will be swung by the vote of 25 - 45 young professional, middle class renters.

Why should they fear voting for SF as a protest against the mess the current government have made which disproportionately affects them? Why would they bear the worst of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Timing belt

If you remember I said we wouldn’t see inflation as high from feb/march onwards unless oil hit a 100usd a barrel which it did thanks to war in Ukraine and I also said that the longer inflation was persistent that worse it would get as we would see wage inflation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Brexit and Trump voters didn't really consider the long term, I've no doubt many new SF voters are exactly the same. Perhaps a lot of younger people think that if SF do come in and make things even worse, well at least they can emigrate somewhere and leave the burning mess (they voted for) behind them?

I really feel that prices are at an absolute peak right now, and that the market cannot bear any more rises. We traded up earlier this year in Dublin 18 and I just can't see property prices going higher, I believe that within 12-24 months prices will be down 10%+. No massive crash but a reversion to the pre-COVID levels perhaps. Lots of savings gone out of the market with the last two years of buying, and there just aren't massive salary increases, at least where I'm standing (I work for a small multi-national and arguments of 'inflation is 10%, I need a 10% salary increase just to stand still!' isn't getting much traction).

How long does inflation have to persist to change your view that it is transitory?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

When I applied, you needed a certain amount of income for each adult and child dependent. Is this criteria still in place and would it increase with inflation. Add in the rising interest rate effect.

The central bank negative interest rate environment and our very high mortgage rates attracted some semblance of international competition. Could this reverse if their is trouble in those banks domestic markets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Timing belt

The constraint for most people is the LTI limit and not the affordability test. This is evident from the fact that they can pay high rent and a mortgage would be cheaper.

Don’t know where you are getting your international competition in the retail banking market as their are only a hand full of small players and AIb & BOI are the only 2 big players. I assume you also realise that negative interest rates cost the banks millions and prevented them from making any meaningful profit as they were unable to pass the cost onto all customers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

There will be no drops for years. 300+ new PPS numbers on track for 2022, where do we house all of these people? The new buying incentives will also push up prices as was the case when a similar scheme was introduced in the UK, cant see prices dropping if anything they may continue to increase.

How can he answer that the current inflation has been caused by supply blockages from Covid and a war in the Ukraine, does anyone know when they are going to go away? But when they do go away we will see a period of Deflation IMO as in a lot of cases wages are not rising at the same levels of inflation and in some cases there are no pay rises at all. If we hit a recession and we have a lot of job loses this will also feed into a disinflation and then deflation trajectory .

• Administrators Posts: 53,755 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

There is no magic scenario where house prices collapse, and everyone is affected except the people who cannot currently buy.

If house prices collapse, it's because demand collapses. If demand has collapsed, it means the people who currently represent demand are no longer able to buy. Unless you are incredibly lucky, or very cash rich, if you're struggling to buy now it will absolutely not get easier in a collapsed market.

I think some people have this notion in their head that the market collapses, and suddenly there's a load of houses for sale for cheap prices, and all their problems are solved.

Let me ask it another way, in the event of a market collapse, why do you think it will make it easier for you to buy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

If a wallop of a bang comes, don't expect deflation in food or gas/ electricity. Oil petrol and diesel will fall but the era of cheap food is over. Food produce yeilds with droughts throughout the world and reduced fertiliser usage due to its price sky rocketing will mean substantialy lower yeilds this year and possibly for the future.

That is all true. And completely logical. But logical arguments don’t resonate at all with the disenfranchised

Yet fertilizer is at a premium due to the energy needed to create it so when gas and oil prices fall so will fertilizers as will food. There is a knock on effect for food with regards to energy which is why food prices are heading to the sky and once those costs come down food will follow suit. It may be a while before it happens

Oh I completely get the frustration. Prices falling would be a good thing.

But, unless it comes via an increase in supply (which seems incredibly improbable as I don't believe we have any scope to increase supply) then there is going to be collateral damage, and the collateral damage is going to be the people at the bottom of the ladder who suddenly find themselves falling off.

If house prices collapse, it's because demand collapses. If demand has collapsed, it means the people who currently represent demand are no longer able to buy. 

They can collapse if the buyers who currently represent are no longer willing to pay the current prices. There are a number of scenarios in which this could occur in which Joe and Mary Middle Class Professional do not suddenly become destitute, most of which involve a change in government policy, which most likely would involve a change in government.

Let me ask it another way, in the event of a market collapse, why do you think it will make it easier for you to buy?

Doesn't make any difference to me. I own my house, I'm alright Jack, and I have no intention of voting SF. I'm just saying I can try and understand it from the point of view of those people who aren't alright. Not everybody who thinks falling house prices would be a good thing is talking through their pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

That's a massive generalisation.

In the last recession, I did quite well with multiple pay rises. We didn't buy at the bottom but it was significantly less than the peak.

A simple outlawing of REITs and btl investors in domestic housing secondhand market would hugely affect the landscape and something SF could easily do. There's so many things SF could do that might rock the comfortable lives of big tech and money managers but improve that of the lower socio economic groups that actually allow our society to function.

They can collapse if the buyers who currently represent are no longer willing to pay the current prices.

This is a fallacy. Sentiment alone will not crash the market, we are miles from that as demand is too high. Every single year, for about a decade now, we've heard "prices are nuts, they won't go up, who is going to pay this?" and guess what, every year prices go up.

People will stop paying current prices when they can't pay current prices.

What scenarios do you believe could occur that could result in a market drop without pain for those at the bottom?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

The bubble is global, a small open economy should be OK then

The scenario today is chalk and cheese compared to 2008.

And even at that, you were one of the lucky few.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭AySeeDoubleYeh

The issue is that people 2/3's of the way up the ladder are also struggling to buy, it's not just the bottom. And you could hardly label it altruistic but there's a pretty sizeable percentage of people there who are in a position to absorb cost of living increases while also taking advantage of reduced property costs. Hence the desire for prices to fall.

In terms of voting - you have this huge cohort of people 20s-40s who are royally pissed off. Who will likely turn out in record numbers to vote. And, whether through naivety, anger or anything else you can label it, they will vote SF because, to their mind, why on earth would they vote for the current incumbents?

I sit in this cohort and will not personally vote for SF, as I do not believe they will improve things, but I can't blame others for voting them in.

• Advertisement

I said the the scenarios involve a change in government policy, not a change in sentiment from Joe Ordinary house buyer.

Prices are rising because government policy and activity in the market - eg HAP, leasing, purchasing etc - and consequent investor activity constitute a very significant portion of demand. Between HAP, RAS, leasing and acquisition, the government spent 988 million in 2020, this has almost doubled since 2016 and is expected to double again over next few years. https://assets.gov.ie/205491/ab71c182-54e3-4cd0-ae94-8069761d952e.pdf

That has become a feedback loop - the higher prices rise, the more money government pumps into the market and so on and so forth.

A change in policy designed to reverse that trend would have the opposite impact. Reducing government spend in the market, and consequently investor spend removes much of the marginal buying activity and prices would fall.

The problem we have at the minute is the government has no desire to reverse that trend because in the opinion of a lot of their base, rising property prices are a good thing.

No what I mean is it's always the bottom of the market that gets pushed out. Always.

Let's say the market does collapse. The first people to go are the people in the bottom 1/3 of the market, they can't buy anymore for whatever reason. The people who were the 2/3 way up are now the bottom 1/3 as the people beneath them have fallen away.

And then guess who goes next? And so on, and so on.

No we will be impacted by the recession but the old release valve of people leaving wont be open as the bubble and the recession will be global.

Let's take an example of HAP, and imagine SF get in and stop HAP.

What do the people who currently require HAP to house themselves do?

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭AySeeDoubleYeh

Ah, sorry, I get you now.

I would be less pronounced in practice, of course - less than 1/3 would fall and those in, say, the 60th-70th percentile of earnings could still benefit - but I understand and accept the larger point!

Of course SF are not going to suddenly pull HAP overnight. That's totally unrealistic.

But let's take a different approach to the same problem.

Imagine SF get in and announce that they are extending the rent a room relief tax free allowance - 14k - to all government supported tenancies in the private market - HAP, RAS, leasing etc.

From then on a HAP tenancy up to €1,166 per month would be totally income tax free. But if a landlord charges €1,167 per month then they're taxed at your full rate. Marry this to abolishing rent caps across the board and a stiff vacancy tax, exempting PPRs.

What would the knock on effect in the market be?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,579 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

So you want the government to not only pay for these people's rent, but also to create a situation whereby landlords favour the people whose rent is being paid by the government?

Not sure that makes your 30 somethings any less disenfranchised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

With the Gas situation in Europe even if a bag recession occurs gas prices will not retreat anywhere back to where they were early 2021 when fertilizer prices were 200 euro a ton. As regards food price it lags by at least 10 months which is the growing period realistically before harvesting of the crop where the input prices are then passed on. so if gas fell from 300 euro per cubic meter back down to 5 euro a cubic meter then it would still take a year before food price would see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

My recession was 2000 - 2004. The great recession didn't really affect me and lots of others in the tech sector.

SF could do the following:

- only allow REITs etc. to buy apartments where they have financed the building and restrict all REIT buying in domestic housing market.

- half the number of international visas 40k --> 20k

- increase corporation tax to 17.5%

- declare national bankruptcy and refinance debts.

- stop selling passports to anyone with €1 million

That would destroy a large part of social/ video network economy while leaving pharmaceutical/ medical device and high value manufacturing alone. That would probably result in an exodus of circa 300k people, meaning there would be considerable housing capacity as a consequence. The shop assistants might even be able to buy a house and exist in the less financially geared Ireland which would become more like Iceland.

I'm not saying that SHOULD happen, rather your thesis that reshaping society will affect the bottom 2/3 the worst is not necessarily true.

• Advertisement

Maybe not but you can be guaranteed there is now a real concerted level of concentration going into other sources of energy I see this in teh sector I work in hopefully making our reliance on gas a thing of the pass it will take time do

Advertisement