Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Texas School shooting 19 children and 2 adults murdered

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭Christy42

Look at the title of the thread and wonder why your plight of a friend getting caught in beuacracy is not getting more sympathy.

Those outspoken people are the NRA. I mean I am sure there are many hard working, good people involved in the NRA trying to improve things but they are not the ones at the table. They are not the ones with the ability to have their voice on the media and until they are they will never be able to make up for those outspoken people.

That is always the thing with this, people's rights being infringed, slippery slope yadda, yadda. Oh no someone had to go to court for a gun licence. Read the title of thread again. How many mass shootings has there been in the US since Buffalo? Those are the points that should be the focus in a healthy society.

Yes Ireland likely goes overboard on restrictions but these laws are never going to be perfect and most countries will lean on having too many restrictions.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

The qualification in your first paragraph is not a small little thing to be hand-waved away. In fact, it's a really big and important matter.

I am not able to influence US social or medical policy beyond what I can do at the ballot box to attempt to influence political leaders. Pending that, I am able to influence what happens within my immediate proximity. Your last statement is an interesting claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,464 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Plus they had all they needed to open the classroom door, but wasted time trying keys. Pathetic, but hey, it's Texas. Secession... One of the highest maternal mortality rates in the US (which puts it high up worldwide)... homosexuality is an aberration... oh, and Biden didn't win the election. Let them secede.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,711 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Just watched Colonel McCraw of the Texas dept of public safety's opening statement to the Texas state senate committee.

He gave his opinion of Arredondo and the lack of action in a tone of utter disgust.

"The scene commander placed the lives of his armed police officers above those of the unarmed children"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,256 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

A video now released, those poor families

• Registered Users Posts: 82,509 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I have the stomach for a lot but not any of watching that. The gist I got online is a bunch of tacticool boys with their Punisher logos playing on their phones while kids were being killed and in danger. Did I get that mostly right

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

One cop is more interested in sanitising his hands than actually sticking his neck on the line and trying to rescue the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,509 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Well at least he paid attention to that 5 minute eLearning video about pathogens.

He must have not got the training about giving a ****. He was just supposed to get that on the job while he shadowed other officers who were also supposed to get that training on the job.

Seems like Gov. Abbott attended a fundraiser the day of the shooting, after the shooting had broken out. He denied doing so, but he lied. What's a few dead Texans and their family's grief when there's cold hard cash to be earned, amiright?

• Advertisement

Gun manufacturer, school district, state, all sorts being sued for $27 billion in the Uvalde massacre.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,196 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

The whole situation is astonishing. Instead of fa ing the problems head on, they're having to defend the system as it is. Defend the gun ownership issue, defend the police for their inaction in the face of such a danger situation, defend the deaths of school children as if its a normal part of life and school shootings happen everywhere.

All instead of facing the actual problem of why so many Americans want to kill their fellows and particularly why they want to shoot children. Messed up society over there.

I'm not belittle this tragedy but I don't understand how they can go after the gun manufacturer. Daniel Defense make a legal product. It's not their fault someone abused it.

Could I sue Toyota if a drunk driver in a Toyota killed my child? I think not.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,347 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

using something as designed is different to misusing something as designed. The gun ultimately is designed and developed for shooting things, the car for transportation.

I don't see why that makes a difference to be honest.

I mean a gun is a lawful product in most countries in the world. It has lawful uses. It's not the gun manufacturer's fault that someone used it inappropriately.

Yeah I'd agree. If there was a spate of people driving cars into schools to kill school children, the ultimate question would be the same. Why do so many Americans want to kill school children? The availability of guns makes it a convenient and efficient method to carry out the desire to kill school children. But it doesn't address the undelivered question.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

The challenge is about recklessly selling/marketing the weapons to the public.

In your analogy above , if Toyota had been running ads showing a driver swilling beers while behind the wheel, then yes you probably could sue them.

Have a look at some of the adverts that Daniel Defence put out - Like the one showing a guy on a roof-top scoping out passers-by in the street below.

"Rooftop ready" ?!?!?!?!

Or this peach

So , yeah.. I think Daniel Defence have some questions to answer.

Remington was sued for this in the aftermath of the Sandy Hook massacre and paid out $73 million. Good for the families, but obviously it didn't work - massacres still happen.

Regarding the child and the rifle, Marty Daniel (Daniel Defense CEO) said the following to a Senate Committee. "Part of being a responsible gun owner means teaching others how to properly and safely use firearms. I believe that a child who is taught firearms safety and who is raised to respect firearms is much less likely to ever use a firearm improperly." I agree that it's good to teach kids gun safety. Now I'll be the first to say that the kid in the picture is too young to learn about gun safety, I think I was about 5 when my Dad started teaching me about gun safety. That said, it's a stretch to say they are marketing their guns at toddlers through the use of that picture as toddlers can't buy Daniel Defense guns.

Of course toddlers can't buy guns, but christ almighty, it normalises a pretty unusual situation where toddlers need to be gun aware so they don't shoot anyone by accident.

I saw a video of a woman showing off her small child's skill of using their bulletproof schoolbag in the event of a school shooting. This normalises the idea of school shootings as if it's unavoidable. Like bringing a waterproof jacket to protect against rain. Its all papering over the cracks to avoid actually addressing the big question of why so many Americans what to kill schoolchildren.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

For a child , the only "Gun Safety" rules are - "See that Gun Safe? - Don't ever let me see you anywhere near it!"

Using a picture of a barely school age child holding any kind of weapon to promote your products is the height of irresponsibility.

And as for the "Rooftop ready" one?

How is that in any way promoting responsible and legal gun ownership/usage??

Children, once they are old enough (not toddlers obviously) can learn about gun safety, under the supervision of a responsible adult. I think that it's reasonable that if you have a firearm in your house, you should teach your child about gun safety. I was taught gun safety from the age of 5 by my Dad. I was also taught not to go near the gun unless my dad was present with me.

In the US, it's often not illegal for parents to give their kids guns. In fact these guns are aimed at kids. https://keystonesportingarmsllc.com/

I haven't seen the rooftop ready advert. The link won't work for me but I'll go look for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭Christy42

Are you trying to help or hurt your argument with the guns for kids argument? The issue for the US is that while guns are legal in other countries they aren't seen as nearly a fetish or a symbol of worship. It is really really weird to how the rest of the world sees gun ownership. The add with the kid isn't about gun safety, it is saying train a kid to use a gun when he is young and they will be a gun user when they grow up. I get some safety stuff but guns should be treated like a piece of dangerous equipment not a status symbol. Can you imagine a politician shouting out that a state needs to lead the country in angle grinder sales? I guess possibly it is seen as a symbol of belonging to a group but I really can't think of an equivalent elsewhere. Certainly they are not treated like a tool that is for a job or use case.

Here's a screen-grab.

What legal behaviour is that advert displaying?

I agree with you to that a gun should be treated like a piece of dangerous equipment. I'm by no means saying give all kids guns, but I'll say the following: I'm fine with kids learning to shoot, under strict supervision. I'm fine with kids learning gun safety, under strict supervision. I'm fine with kids shooting, under strict supervision. I'm fine with guns being designed for kids provided they are used under strict supervision.

The kid in the Daniel Defense advert is too young for gun safety, I've said that in my first response to the advert. But the point remains, gun safety for children in households where there is a gun/guns is essential. I'll once again quote the Daniel Defence CEO who made this statement before a Senate Committee about that advert, "Part of being a responsible gun owner means teaching others how to properly and safely use firearms. I believe that a child who is taught firearms safety and who is raised to respect firearms is much less likely to ever use a firearm improperly." He says it's about gun safety, you say it isn't.

I don't know how you remove the glamorising of guns from the US. Have a 'Code of Practice' for gun adverts? Ban rap music?

That argument bypasses the legitimate nature of firearms use. There are few (I'm inclined to say 'no', but there's always going to be some oddity to prove me wrong) situations where it is ever legitimate or approved of to drive whilst swilling beer. Shooting people is, however, a legitimate and lawful use of a firearm. Even being on a rooftop with a rifle checking out passers-by below has legitimate backing. Never seen the various "Rooftop Korean" memes?

One doesn't need to be drunk, however, to drive dangerously. Have you not noticed all the car advertisements of cars being driven to the limits of their handling, complete with a disclaimer at the bottom of the advert saying "Professional driver, closed course. Do not attempt"? Even the humble Nissan Sentra, let alone Mustangs and Challengers whose primary marketing appeal is speed and aggressiveness.

The rifle in the Daniel Defense advert is unloaded, the chamber is open. The magazine is empty. DD are not suggesting handing a young child a weapon in dangerous condition, any more than Nissan suggests near-side-swiping pedestrians. The entire scenario is obviously exaggerated.

I would not even read too much into the Remington settlement. The company was dealing with bankruptcy, making the problem go away was worth it in order to deal with the more pressing issues of the company trying to sort itself out with new owners and creditors and fewer potential unknowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

And yet cars are not specifically designed to kill people.

Thats all these guns are created for, so your argument about cars or alcohol or anything else that isnt specifically designed for war and killing other humans is pointless, head in the sand stuff.

I never said anything other. Some guns are indeed designed and used to shoot people. That is a lawful and legitimate use in this country (Obviously, I'm in the US), every bit as lawful and legitimate as going for a Sunday drive in a car designed to be fun to thrash around a back road.

If you disapprove of this on moral grounds, that's your call. I disagree. That however has nothing to do with the legal grounds.

And what about the "Rooftop ready" advert?

What is that trying to tell people?

• Advertisement

That if you need to be on a rooftop, it's perfectly suitable?

Advertisement