Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭DC999

FIT is in now and being backdated. But need a smart meter. 14 cebt with a few providers and as high at 19 with one. But they may jack up the day rates - who knows. More on it on another thread here. And again another good thread on best day / night rates.

8wkp is a big system as others have said. We could only fit 5 kwp on our roof and already would like to have more. So up to you if the 200 quid per panel on install day is worth it or not. But for others getting smaller systems then filling the roof can help. But I know we're gonna start to move more stuff to electric now we can.

If you have a EV and Zappi to feed it from solar, and house battery you'll store the juice. Sure, you'll have loads of spare for a few months.

We're only live a month now and have no battery yet. And am stunned by how output drops really low at times when cloudy. So a larger system means that drops less. Then sun comes out and it flies along.

To give a sense of what to expect. With our 5kwp (east/ west split) it created enough energy (kwh's) this month to fully run the house and EV.

But..wnergy wise we're a very low usage house and low usage driving.

So assuming we had a large enough house battery (we don't) and EV was in the driveway during the day to soak up the free juice, we wouldn't have bought a single unit of power this month. That's pretty flash.

But its 'up and down' generation wise. We had days as low as 7kwh generated in the whole day when clouds meant you couldn't see the sun all day. To as high at 25 kwh in the blue sky heatwave. And we'll see that start to drop from now as days get shorter with less light.

Am 100% delighted we're live and getting free juice!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

The reality is that virtually everyone who has solar has TOO much power on the good summer days. Even most people with small'ish 3-4Kwp installations. The thing is, is that you don't size your system for summer, you size it for March and October. As DC999 mentioned, if you don't have an EV already.....chances are that you'll have one in the next 5 years or so. Ireland apparently is planning on banning internal combustion engine car sales from 2030, so it's coming.

It's a bit dependent on your household, but you really do want to err on the side of caution. There are so many people here who'll tell you the same - no one ever complained that they installed too many panels. Sure, being fiscally prudent is a good thing, but when you look at the stats on the crappy days....where the clouds are rolling in, those are the days that the extra production matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

Send the quote you have to the company who wants to do the site visit to quote.

Tell them if you can't beat that then don't bother coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Official quote just came back and its actually 7k (dunno how he managed to double it on initial calcualtions) but he didnt include my request for a battery so its probably really about 8k+ which isnt terrible. But telling me i dont need a battery after specifically requesting one and then again leaving it off the quote plus his refusal to install optomisers allowing me 3-4 more panels means i deffinitely wont be going with them and wouldnt reccomend them if ever asked about them.

Really poor way to do business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

You say no eddi, but you added 550 in anyways. What's that for?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 seamus789

I'm a newbie to this but got a first quote yesterday. I know it's only the first quote but it's way more than I expected so I just want to sense check if my expectations were realistic in the first place.

• 25 x JA 360w Panels (9000w in total)
    • Solis 6Kw hybrid inverter
    • 3.5 Kw battery (didn't specify brand)
    • Zappi charger
    • €24,800 before grants

It is split across 2 roofs which he said adds to the cost as it's 2 different series of panels (sounds plausible)

Apparently there is a 26 week lead time to get it installed adding to the "urgency" to sign up.

I'm waiting for another 2 providers to come back to me but they all seem very busy so struggling to get in contact. Any view and/or recommendations appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,328 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

That's a great price @seamus789

Just kidding. That's a bloody disgrace. Should be coming in around €14k before grants and €11k after.

I bet I know the company who gave you that abomination too. Spinning a line on the urgency to sign up etc.

Yeah, regular users to this forum will know who that is. If I'm right, I had them out to my gaff for a quote. Sat through an hour of presentations, which if I'm honest was quite professional in it's execution, but the value for money from them was shocking. SHOCKING. This doesn't sit well with posters here as it preys (for lack of a better word) on the naivety of users who want to get solar in to "do the right thing" for the environment and get charged an arm and a leg for that honor.

You can always be worried when you hear a "must sign up urgently", or other things like 2x roofs add to the cost. Nonsense. 90% of installations are on two roofs. My own one is East/West split. To give you an idea of how much over priced that is, the same spec from one of the usual suppliers that many of use have used, probably about €14-15K after grant taken off (maybe less even)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

@seamus789 and anyone else embarking on this journey

Rule 1 - look at your spend on power (excluding Standing Charges) for the past year, halve it, and use the lower between this figure or €1k. That is pretty much your Annual Savings

Rule 2 - Solar only generates during daylight hours, so you really should not size a system on your Annual Consumption

Rule 3 - Solar generates about panels kWp x 0.85 Annually. Expect an average consumption of about 50 - 60% of this

Mods - feel free to tweak and maybe add to opening post ???

• Advertisement

I have seen a quote recently for €26000 but for that it's 38 400w panel's, 10kwh 3 phase. 10kwh battery. Zappi and a Eddi.

24k is a disgraceful price.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I actually cannot believe the conversation I just had..... got onto one of the smaller suppliers, a name I was given by DM after I asked someone else where theyd gotten their quotes from.

Anyway once again someone tried to be talk me out of getting a battery. Firstly he quoted me 3800 to install a battery system now whether this was just the battery or all the work invovled im not sure but either way thats a pretty high price for a 5kw battery from what ive seen. Secondly as he was trying to talk me out of it he was trying to explain how people who get batteries think they will be using energy from the powered solar panels at night and thats not the case.... not sure exactly what this was about but then I clarified I wanted the battery to firstly store solar for when its not sunny obviously and to secondly also purchase and store at the cheaper night rate specifically during the winter. He honestly said he'd never heard of anyone doing that and wasn't sure if it was possible.....

Batteries are obviously the way forward even if there wasnt a looming energy crisis how are some installers this clueless to not know how they work and to still be trying to discourage people from getting them?

Yep @seamus789, I had them (or very similar outfit with similar forceful approach) out to the house too and they went the strong-arm "sign today or there is a price rise coming the next working day". I told the salesperson who was in the gaff I'd call the office and ask them why they were suggesting there would be a price rise of the 1st day they were available to met us if we didn't put down a deposit, and that it felt at least unprofessional. Salesman never contacted me again, funny enough. Giving the deposit meant I was signing a contract I hadn't seen which they wouldn't show me on the day "as it was all standard stuff". I nearly feel for the line they are 'reassuringly expense' and will be the dearest on price but won't be beaten not on quality. It was quote No.2 for me, so I was ''green'. 2 vendors told me a similar story and went with neither.

So whether that's the same company you got out, or not and it doesn't matter if it was), don't be pressured by a single company. It's a 20+ year investment. A few weeks won't matter to pull the trigger. Absorb it all first and don't be pressured into signing a contract 'or you'll have waiting until 2023'.

I've solar a month now and am delighted with it. Should have got it sooner :)

I should state up front that I'm (in general) a huge battery proponent. I think they are great - they help load balance the grid, move people to more renewables sourced energy, etc. However, to protray an open an honest non-biased argument, the arguments "for" a battery are weaker now than they were 12 months ago, before we had the Feed-in-tarrif (FIT)

With FIT, you get paid €0.13-0.14 or so from most providers for energy that you export (once all the smart meters things get ironed out) So if you export your excess instead of storing it in a battery, you cover some of the cost of buying that unit back a few hours later. The grid is a partial battery in this case, so the economics for a battery aren't as good as they were 12 months ago where when we were exporting.....we were exporting free electricity to the grid.

Batteries also serve a useful function in winter where solar doesn't do well, in as you say charging at night rate and using during the day. I make about €30 in savings a month on a 8Kwhr battery doing that during winter.

All that said, I'm of the opinion that most houses would do well with a small/medium battery to smooth the output. Depends on the consumption but I think 5Kwhr would be the "goldilocks" for a lot of houses. Some could do with more, some less of course....but make sure that you don't pay over the odds for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭homingbird

This is the reason i am not jumping straight in to solar too many cowboys about had one call to the door the other day said he was working in the aera along with the grant being given out is only inflating the price.Let it settle down for a year or so to see how many people got scammed should weed out the scammers. Oh i told the scammer at the door there was covid in the house he wasnt long moving on.

I'm afraid that waiting will achieve nothing. Same scammers were there 2-3 years ago that are there today, and will be (most likely) there in 12 months time. However, for many reading this.....fret not. There are some very good, solid reliable installers out there. You won't be ripped off if you do your research go with some of the well regarded installers on this thread. It's what it was setup for!

Sooner you get solar installed, the sooner and more money you will save. Energy prices are going nowhere but up. If you can create 50-60% of your leccie from solar for the year....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭homingbird

Yeah i am with you on what you say but i still have a feeling price is very inflated now with everyone looking to jump on the band wagon of solar with the rush there is a lot of shoddy work to move onto the next job.

Yeah i am with you on what you say but i still have a feeling price is very inflated now with everyone looking to jump on the band wagon of solar with the rush there is a lot of shoddy work to move onto the next job.

Is it inflated? Well, yeah I guess it is......but no more so than any other industry. Petrol knocking in at guts of €2/L. Chinese semi-conductor shortages, shipping shortages from china, roofing mount shortages. Course anything in the future is just speculation, but I don't see the market suddenly reverting to 2020/21 prices. If anything I would expect solar to go up slightly as the push to get more and more solar on roofs in ireland.

As for shoddy work. Again....sure it does happen but a lot less than you would think. Installers have to be RECI certified or they can't get the grant. There is also a (pretty stringent) SEAI inspection process where a representative from SEAI comes out to your house and looks over everything and comes up with a snag list of all the things that the installer must rectify before they'll sign off and release the money.

No, i think there really isn't a good reason to wait. Many others who have been through the process will no doubt confirm same.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭cloughy

What additional cost should I expect to get a zappi installed as part of PV install.

Initially I didn't ask for one but now want to get one as part of PV install, which will be done in 4/6weeks time, so whet should I budget for net of yhe €600 EV charger grant if its done etc same time as Panels installed.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

My installer installed a Zappi (+hub, but new Zappis have integrated hub) on same day as my PV install for €1000. I then claimed the €600 grant, for a net cost of €400.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

Correct me, if I have got this wrong, but in regard to FIT, is the amount of money that you can receive not limited to €200 and anything after this is treated as income and attracts tax at your marginal rate (40% for most) and USC etc so meaning that you lose 52%+ bringing the effective rate of FIT down to less than 7cents

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

No one has "tested" this yet as no one has actually gotten to that €200 limit yet, but yeah, my original thinking that it was to be taxed as income tax, and then someone corrected me to say that it would taxed as BIK (Benifit-in-kind). Dunno

To be fair though, €200 is a fair chunk of exported units that you'd have to send to the grid. At €0.15 / unit, that would be 1,333 units before you'd start getting taxed (whichever tax regime they use)

I think people should look at FIT as a bonus few quid. Yeah, it would be great if the powers that be weren't penny pinching gits, but most of us will get €100-150 I reckon a year out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Decoda

Hi apologies if this is slightly off topic, I'm currently getting quotes together and am still in 2 minds about whether to get a battery or not. I've decided on a Solis 6kw Hybrid inverter knowing that it costs more but would prefer to hedge my bets in case I want to fit a battery later. Would anyone be able to let me know if I decide to purchase a battery in the future is it as simple as getting an electrician to fit it? Are they plug and play?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I can never understand this. If your in a position that you have to pay tax, then you are earning. And you are earning while doing nothing really bar hoping it's daylight

Get it fully setup to accept a battery, battery fuse switch. data cable and so on. They can be plug minor setup and play.. A good few here have done similar and could help if needed.

Or get the installer to come back and install, it will be quick and easy for them and they can set it up correctly without messing around. Plus if something comes up then its up to them to sort it.......Hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

But 2 scenarios come to mind, 1) Are you basing your payback time on FIT?, is the rate guaranteed? and is the taxation rate not to increase?

2) As most everything in Ireland that you receive from the Government, whatever it is is, is based on your

income, will this come back to bite you in the arse?

All government parties are debating the upcoming budget, and a major sticking point is that any pay increases could bring you into a higher tax bracket, so why should I pay thousand's of Euro to save the planet?, only for the Greens to fock me over. Spend a thousand to save 20 does not make sense to me, especially based on HOPING the weather is good.

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

As someone else said above, you’d need to be exporting a lot to the grid for any of this to become a factor at all. The reality is that you will export some during the summer months and none during the winter. And even during the summer, assuming you have a system that isn’t producing huge amounts more power than you need, you’ll be exporting a few quid here and a few quid there.

Also, saving the planet is only 1 reason to go down this route. Saving money is generally a higher priority reason for it. If saving the planet is the primary reason for it then surely the Greens “screwing you over” is a price you’re happy to pay given, you know, the planet?

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Decoda

Many thanks Maulbrook, I'll go back and ask that they include have the system setup to take a battery.

I've been finding it hard to get quotes, have sent out requests to 9 suppliers, a good few recommended both here and on the Irish Solar PV Facebook page but in 3 weeks I've only had 3 responses so far. Quotes for a 7.4kw PV system using 18 no. 410w panels (no issue with roof space and could probably fit more but can't really afford to add more at present), 6kw Solis Inverter and an EDDI. (No battery) Best quote so far is €12,580 minus grant = €10,180 incl. Vat. Optimisers at €90 as required. The other 2 quotes were both approx €2,000 more expensive. Any feedback on the lowest quote so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

Some people have paid out ludicrous prices for systems, where even FIT payments will never balance their books. People were indeed mis-sold systems, paying €1000 to save €20 sort of thing.

But many have bought shrewdly, or gone DIY, and seeing and feeling immediate financial benefits. Bottom line, price is important.

Ultimately, it needs streets of houses having their rooftops covered to make even a dent environmentally. Industry are the big users, and they are the ones who need to find ways to reduce consumption and look at generation.

It's nonsense when you see reports as last week of a solar farm project being delayed by objectors losing horse breeding land.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Dozz

Hi All

My install is happening this week and was thinking of asking them to install a double socket on the solar system that will allow me to run some lights etc in the event of a blackout.

Any guidance on this would be appreciated?

Also any ide how much extra this should cost?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement