Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Pacifism looks to those abroad

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,718 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Ah, are we going down the 'good' nationalist/bad nationalist road?

You can travel that road on your own lad. I could not be arsed. Suffice to say, the hypocrisy of some here is lovely to read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,817 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

And the EU/EEC and NATO has cemented that peace, Francie.

Don't deny history or facts, but we all know you are anti-EU and anti-NATO, so you of course will disagree with the impact these organisations have had on European peace.

Well in fairness, blowing up women and children and leaving bombs in civilian areas ARE all war crimes Francie.

Go to the 'should we join NATO' thread, there I outline my disagreement with that point in detail and with backed up points. Stop trying to bring arguments from other threads into this one, far as I know it is against the rules. Well I certainly got a warning about it before.

But sure in another breath you guys will say it 'wasn't a war'. 😁

Hypocrisy writ large again...plenty of women and children have died in every conflict/war there ever was., killed by nationalists, imperialists, colonisers alike. No different in Ukraine sadly and tragically

• Advertisement

Who are 'you guys'?

The fact that you don't deny that the PIRA committed war crimes in the North and the UK speaks volumes.

I don't need the UN to tell me that killing another human being is a crime against humanity Mark.

'War' is a crime and allowing it to break out is a crime...especially when you have the power to prevent it happeing.

Ah so its always someone elses fault.

The only people guilty of war crimes Francie are those that carry them out, not some nameless backroom people in some other place.

Correct Mark...and the list of war crimes carried out on this island includes more than just the guys and gals living rent free under your bed.

If you want to have a look at 'war crimes' here that were carried out by many protagonists, I'm up for that. What I will ignore is selective nonsense that only one cohort was responsible.

I have to say, I am delighted that you have accepted that it was a war. My point of blame is always to look at why a 'war' starts in the first place. Should we begin by looking at that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

To be honest we probably have a seat on the UN Security Council because of our neutral status. We are not completely pacifist as we do send troops to war zones under UN peacekeeping missions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

You might want to take a dander down the Nationalist/not Nationalist road first 😂

Well for one, I don't revere or make excuses for Loyalists or the British Army. So they can **** right off as far as I am concerned.

Neither do I make excuses to the men in SF/PIRA who deliberately planted bombs in civilian areas, a war crime.

The difference is, that many people make excuses for those people who commit war crimes.

So the take away here on the topic is, we are certainly not pacifists. The Irish will fight for what they believe in. And we don't wish to fight in wars we have no part in. We want to stay neutral.

Anything else to be said?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭mikethecop

francie you could not be a more inaccurate if you stayed up all night to come up with it , 😀😀

the irish have been fighting other peoples wars for hundreds of years , any one who went to primary school should know at least that much.

its really intresting to see the shinnerbots are pro putin now but i guess at least when ye are bought ye stay bought (so far anyway 😉)

No, not officially as a country we haven't.

Yes, individuals have gone to fight in various wars, again disproving the idea that we are 'pacifists' Well pointed out Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,229 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

The astonishing defence of Putin, including on here, is actually quite scary.

These men fought and died protecting peace in Europe. That is a fact

No, it's not a fact. They fought and died in Ukraine, in a war between Ukraine and Russia.

The rest is just spin.

The same propaganda that the EU/European countries have been pushing since before the conflict, that Ukraine was part of Europe (geographically/culturally), that they were completely innocent in every possible way, etc. When, say 5-10 years ago, few people would have considered Ukraine to be part of Europe, have any interest in the internal workings of their country beyond some disgust at their political/institutional corruption, etc.

People want to whitewash the past to elevate the Ukrainian conflict so that it justified the political responses of the European governments, gaining the support of their own populations. They manipulated public opinion..

These men died for their own personal beliefs. That's it. Kudos to them for defending their own country. I admire that. I genuinely do.

However, I don't buy into all this defenders of freedom, democracy, etc rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭mikethecop

you would wonder what they have to gain from it ,

the hopes of power at any price i suppose

😁

You said it Mark, here it is again. Absolute positive proof we are not 'pacifists'

I don't revere or make excuses for Loyalists or the British Army. So they can **** right off as far as I am concerned.

Neither do I make excuses to the men in SF/PIRA who deliberately planted bombs in civilian areas, a war crime.

The thread is discussing whether Irish pacifism is Irish pacifism is 'a naive and juvenile view of reality which undermines our credibility as a neutral country and an EU member.'

I have made the backed up case that we are far from 'pacifist' and you have shown (your reverence or not is immaterial to the topic btw) and Mike has also shown, that you agree. We fight for what we believe in, including against each other.

We are though neutral when it comes to others fighting.

• Advertisement

Absolute positive proof we are not 'pacifists'

Who are 'we'?

Where did I say were are 'pacifists'?

You seem to be making up an argument that no one has made.

The answer to this is that the OP described Irish pacifism. Very obviously you have proved that not everyone is a pacifist. But I was asking about Irish pacifism.

The OP mark- did you read it yet? It's making the case you helped to disprove.

Irish pacifism is a naive and juvenile view of reality which undermines our credibility as a neutral country and an EU member.

We most certainly aren't 'pacifist'. 'We' the state was born out of fighting, as Mike said 1000's have gone off to fight for various causes and people here on the island have been fighting for what they believe in for decades.

Is there such a movement? I wasn't aware of one. And I certainly wasn't aware that it influenced our policy of neutrality which was born under a government that had many members who physically 'fought' in the Rising, The Civil War and WOI

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭conorhal

I would say that the 'collapse of empires and the subsequent outbreak of democracy in European nations' post WW1 had far more to do with that than NATO or the EU. Of course, the collapes of those empires and the fall out from WW1 was still working itself out by the time WW2 kicked off, but peace in post war Europe had far more to do with democracies ability to negociate with each other and the fact that jumped up autocrats couldn't just order the pesants to die on their behalf any more. War now required the peoples elected representatives to vote on it.

NATO and the EU just like to take the credit. we didn't need NATO to deal with the last autocrat that tried to rampage through Europe and we don't need to entangle ourselves in the kind or arcane mutual defense treaties that resulted in WW1 either.

If you mean an organisation, I don’t know. Certainly a philosophy of some development groups. Definitely a belief of many on media and social media.

The OP doesn’t reference the origins of neutrality and link it to pacifism. It links calls in Britain for Ukraine to surrender with a similar outlook here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,229 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Nonsensical nitpicking. Irish pacifism is not the same as the pacifism of Irish people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I agree that the Ukrainians motives are to defend their own homes, family and friends. In terms of what's Europe and what's not Europe, I suppose that's subjective, if I was pushed I'd say all the way to the urals is Europe, which means western Russia is Europe as they've always played a role in European politics and were connected to European monarchy, however it's not really relevant

In terms of ideology, I think it's a weaker motive for the war in Ukraine. It's true that the Ukrainians are defending themselves and that western nations are happy to support such that it weakens their geopolitical opposition, Russia. However, there is the concept of self governance and autonomy, that Ukraine or any self identifying cultural group of people are more likely to prosper and should have the right to autonomy and sovereignty if they choose it. That ideology is on the line. People may see NATO or the eu as the other side of the coin, a self interested group looking to expand influence. But the key difference is that inclusion can only be accessed by the consent of the people in the nation(or the best proxy we can find for consent, democracy). So for me that is the ideological difference between totalitarian states and NATO/western democracy.

Which amounts to how many?

I know S. Coyne made a plea in the Irish Times that was seen as pacifist and she got support for saying it. But I am not sure that there are many out and out pacifists echoing the content of what she said. Most of the support I seen was of the 'she has the right to a voice' variety. Hence asking about an organisation.

Our neutrality was engendered by people who had proved they were many things but 'pacifist'. They aren't really linked in that respect.

• Advertisement

Irish Neutrality was born out of being anti-British more than anything.

Advertisement