Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Energy infrastructure

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭ohographite

Depending on Shannon LNG for gas would still be depending on a non EU country (USA) for gas.

I realise it's unlikely that use of fossil fuel gas will end before 2050, but if Shannon LNG is built, I would say it would have a lifespan that would last beyond 2050.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

We currently have no wind - well 65 MW.

We need solar at scale, because when the wind does not blow (in the Summer) the sun is there splitting the rocks.

We also need a storage for CNG, not an import platform for LNG. We can get all our gas requirements from Corrib and Moffat. However we do need to have storage for at least a months supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,376 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

That’s all well and good for summer but what happens when we get these calm days with comparable wing in winter?

We need these CNG storage tanks pronto plus an LNG terminal.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

You could say the same about fusion. Still crickets after 50+ years of trying. I think lots of scam power would be more apt in this case.

That reminds me of my childhood, where I would cut apart dead dry cell batteries to get at their zinc casing and cut that into bits and drop it into hydrochloric acid to make hydrogen. I managed to make enough once, to fill a balloon with enough it rose into the air - about 8 feet, before the fine droplets of hydrochloric acid that went along with the hydrogen, ate through the skin of the balloon. Before some smart arse says I should have bubbled it through water to remove the HCL - I know.

No need for this magic powder, just mine zinc and ship it to where you want the hydrogen and dump it into HCl. Of course it might not make any economic sense, which is what I suspect of that nonsense powder.

Post edited by cnocbui on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,460 ✭✭✭Markcheese

At what cost,( financial and ecological )

we don't have a long summer season , and it's not often the greatest solar resource any way ... The solar we're likely to have is predominantly fixed - and orientated south - to get the most power- but that's predominantly around mid day - not much for that 4 pm to 7 pm peak ..

It's a bit different if solar is produced largely for use on site .. no grid losses and an incentive to match production and consumption....

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,902 ✭✭✭✭josip

The recent US bill, includes absolutely whopping subsidies for Green Hydrogen. As this article notes, it could end up being cancelled by future Republican administrations, but it's still expected to have a massive impact on investment in the tech.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

You could say the same about fusion. Still crickets after 50+ years of trying. I think lots of scam power would be more apt in this case.

Achieving fusion and commercial use of it at that is fiendishly difficult and required a lot of brainpower yet the huge potential of it is worth absolutely pursuing even if it takes a while longer. The vast majority of the historical research work on it has been based at a single site in the UK. ITER is finally not too far away from being completed and starting testing. A lot of the science and technology has been cracked, now it needs a positive net energy output.

It's a good thing offshore wind farms and solar farms don't cost billions to build - $1.3b for one LNG terminal in Wales, so billions, singular - and that those costs aren't passed on to the consumer, making electricity more expensive.

What energy infrastructure isn't funded by the consumer?

Not sure if it was this thread, or another, where it was claimed the strike price for Irish onshore wind is actually higher than that for Hinkley point nuclear.

The UK is not the basis for most of the research on fusion, the laser based NIF in the US is just one of several different other facilities and approaches, around the world, that have been tried down the decades, and I have been reading about promising imminent breakthroughs since the early 70's

The joke with fusion is that many anti-nuclear idiots are gung-ho fans of 'clean' fusion, when if they ever get them to work, they will create a significant amount of very high level nuclear waste that also will need disposing of. All of the structure of a fusion reactor anywhere near the plasma will become highly radioactive.

https://thebulletin.org/2017/04/fusion-reactors-not-what-theyre-cracked-up-to-be/

JET in Culham in the UK was the main driver for ongoing research for decades and they eventually settled on the tokomak as the best approach. With fission there are the huge upfront costs, known waste issues and what people believe to be safety issues, all of which makes the case for it a lot more difficult. ITER will be a very long experiment in fusion power, during which all of these questions can and should be answered, certainly better than some seven year old article, where the author clearly has decided that it is bad.

From what I've read on the potential waste, the activity of it declines quickly, over a number of decades.

• Advertisement

It doesn't matter how old the article is, that's not relevant to whether science is accepted or not. The author has a bit more cred on the topic than you:

"

"Daniel Jassby was a principal research physicist at the Princeton Plasma Physics Lab until 1999. For 25 years he worked in areas of plasma physics and neutron production related to fusion energy research and development. He holds a PhD in astrophysical sciences from Princeton University."

Yeah, but he won't be working on the experiment that is ITER and his credibility takes quite a nosedive when he talks about a risk of the proliferation of nuclear weapons from fusion reactors. He is also described as a known critic of D-T reactors elsewhere. Experiments are not opinions and I tend to view ITER as a CERN-like approach that will answer many questions.

He's a plasma physicist, FFS, he doesn't need to be working at ITER to know what the physics will be and what will result from that, Jesus, I shouldn't have to point this out.

He's retired. He's also implacably opposed to it and that implies a certain mindset, certainly not an open, enquiring scientific mind. I'll take my information from the experiments to come as one tends to learn new things or it clarifies what is currently believed or understood. Gonna move on from this as it seems to be going around in circles.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: I think Nuclear fusion should be discussed on the Nuclear thread.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭medoc

Bord Na Mona is planning a pilot project for Hydrogen at its Mount Lucas wind farm in Offaly. On site construction has started on the Derrinlough Wind farm also.

https://www.offalyexpress.ie/news/home/887291/bord-na-mona-planning-offaly-hydrogen-project-as-new-wind-farm-is-switched-on.html

• Registered Users Posts: 13,902 ✭✭✭✭josip

The IEA have changed their outlook from renewables being able to meet only half of projected growth in demand in the next few years to over 90%. Mainly due to a reduction in demand growth compared to their January projection but also due to a slightly larger than expected growth in renewables in 2021. The renewables sector is relying on events such as the pandemic and Russia invading Ukraine to stunt demand and just to get to the point where they can meet all future growth. This will only cause the CO2 production to plateau, not decrease.

https://www.iea.org/reports/electricity-market-report-july-2022

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭Apogee

The planning decision on the Mayo hydrogen facility was due this week, but it's now halted with a request for further information. There is a report from the HSA outstanding.

Among the objections lodged, there is one from TII about the unsuitability of the road infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

... and if they try to build any road infrastructure, a group will try to take on the EIS in the High Court. We just can't do it in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭KildareP

7GW capacity - brilliant!

How much of that 7GW nameplate capacity (and subsequently, the 30GW of additional capacity mentioned in that release) will this actually provide to the grid 365 days a year?

• Advertisement

Well 2020's numbers are a good indication. We've got 4.4GW of onshore approx at the moment

The amount of electricity generated from renewables grew from just 6% in 2005 to 42% in 2020. Wind was 37% of all electricity generated in 2020, second only to natural gas and five times as much as coal, peat and oil combined.

OK, and right now, that 4.4GW of wind is generating 279MW or just under 6% of our current demand of 4950MW.

Our demand is trending upwards throughout the afternoon and expected to peak at 5240MW at 1730 while the forecasted wind generation is trending downwards through the afternoon.

How will offshore wind fare in comparison? Will it too be producing a relative fraction of its rated output at the same time as onshore due to a lack of wind?

Offshore wind is an exponentially better generator for a number of reasons

• Higher wind speeds
    • More consistent wind
    • No geographical obstructions to wind
    • Larger geographical spread of generation locations
    • Turbines which are 3/4/5 times the size of the onshore versions

Sure there will be quiet days but then that's why wind will not be the only source of generation

There will also be

• Solar (5.5GW planned by 2030)
    • Hydro
    • Pumped storage
    • Interconnectors
    • And until 2050,gas

Seriously, can we move on from the childish stance that wind is the only game in town when even a cursory search would show that to be false

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭gjim

Capacity factors for offshore wind range from 40% to about 60%. The latter has been achieved in Scotland with newer installations. Taking the midpoint - a capacity factor of 50%, then 7GW of (power) capacity should deliver about 30TWh of electricity per year. We currently consume less than this amount.

I'm not being childish but up until this week, really, wind was being peddled as the only game in town. As a country we've opted not to build any sort of gas storage, to be able to accept gas in other forms like CNG/LNG, even the mention of nuclear would surely cause an apocalyptic outrage at the mere thought and we'd no plans for any new major gas powered plants because they'd impact our carbon commitments.

Solar is realistically good for the summer months and, obviously, only when the sun shines. Our periods of largest demands coincide with the shortest days of winter when solar will be at it's lowest capacity.

Hydro - our total hydro output currently is extremely small compared to overall demand and no firm generation capacity has been planned that would make a sizable dent in our demand.

Pumped storage - Turlough Hill is currently the only major station and Silvermines is planned. Realistically only "peaker" plants with a few hours of capacity before they're spent.

Interconnectors - we can only utilise them to meet demand if there is excess there to give at the other side. To be able to rely on them for their rated capacity we are essentially offshoring our electricity generation facilities as opposed to building our own.

Gas - it seems the realisation of this is only starting to really hammer home within government this week. We need additional gas plants to be built going forward in the order of gigawatts of overall baseload capacity that have an expected lifetime of 20-30 years. Not short term peaker plants designed to run only a few hours a day.

Now that's promising. However the capacity factor has to take account of the ability to generate electricity to meet demand and not a cumulative figure across the year.

While we might consume less than 30TWh of energy a year, if most of that 30TWh is generated during the times of low demand, then we still face a significant capacity shortfall, unless we crack some means of storing that 30TWh using intermediary means, which is what hydrogen is looking promising (but still a long way off in development for scale terms).

Hydrogen fuel cell power plants are already up and running. The largest so far is 79MW and they are only going to get bigger.

Hydrogen also offers the option of being burned though personally I wouldn't support the use of it in that manner as we'd just be swapping one GHG for another so it would be pointless.

We're also seeing it being mixed with gas to reduce the consumption of gas. I think its up to a 7% mix at the moment but I could be wrong on that, could be higher.

In terms of storage, we are at very, VERY early days in the development of options for that.

Right now we're talking about old tech like pumped storage, relatively mature tech like lithium batteries (not scalable due to cost) but there are also literally dozens and dozens of other options being actively developed and researched e.g. compression storage (air, Co2 etc), molten salt, rust, flywheel, flow batteries and so on. In terms of development, we are to 1994 what 2022 is to 2050 in terms of development and advancement. To give you an idea of what that means, the output you'd get from solar on a full rooftop of panels in 1994 could be achieved by a single panel today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭gjim

Well, the term 'capacity factor' has a specific/technical meaning and it doesn't reflect responsiveness to demand. I was just answering your question, "how much energy is actually added to the grid" and the capacity factor allows you to calculate the question.

We all know that wind is intermittent, although offshore is less so and that except for de-rating does not respond to demand.

But adding this much capacity cannot make any hypothetical shortfall worse. And the stats show that offshore is much more consistent so I would expect that this sort of capacity to provide useful energy during high demand more often than not. It's not like all the NG back-up is going to be retired all of a sudden - it's well known that currently the de-carbonisation of electricity requires back-up with NG.

Modelling has shown that the grid can handle a lot more wind capacity without hitting issues. During times of excess production, exporting is an option - Ireland has finished a 5 year period of being a net exporter of electricity and have become a net importer so there's the opportunity to reverse that flow especially with the new interconnector capacity arriving in the next few years. Also a lot of future demand will be able to use demand response to avail of cheaper energy - this is already available and used by industrial consumers but will also become a feature for domestic consumption with EV charging, home heating, etc.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

tl;dr version - we don't have a steady baseload demand anymore, anything that relies on it is doomed.

We have high inertia generators near the cities providing local stability for now. We've had times with renewables at 75% and exports at near 25%.

Wind isn't the only game in town but it's the big one here. Install 2.5x - 3.0x demand of offshore wind and based on UK windfarm stats over the years we'd likely get the grid powered 50% of the time from it. 25% of the time wind would provide 50% of the power and the final 25% of the time could be gas + other generators. Overall that would give use 80% reduction on fossil fuel usage.

Solar is dirt cheap to install and very very, low maintenance. 40 year old panels still going strong in test centres. Peak demand in summer is in daylight hours so solar displaces peaking plant. We don't use concentrated solar because of clouds so it's not all or nothing. UK getting about 3-4GW today, they can get over 8GW on a good day. https://gridwatch.co.uk/ But most of all it's cheap and getting cheaper and next to no maintenance. And Board Na Mona have way more spare land than would be needed to run the country all year round. if you could store the power cheaply enough.

Hydro we'd need another Shannon Scheme every year to meet growth. But it can provide some of the 5% synchronous generation that will allow the other 95% come from non-sync sources like interconnectors and renewables.

Interconnectors work both ways. France used to export electricity in summer. There's now a 15GW hole in the Western European grid and the knock on effects limit when the UK can export to us. ( UK imports LNG and exports the generated power to France. ) We'd be exporting over the Celtic Interconnector right now if it was up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,710 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Kinda stupid then to locate it right next to a river with a long history of spate flooding

Post edited by Birdnuts on

Advertisement