Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,476 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

But you are saying that your reason for entering the race is because you had a chance to enter the race?

I could enter a lot of things right this minute, but I'd still be asking myself the question of why I was doing it or what I was getting from it.

For example, there was a Last one standing race last weekend that I had been considering for a while. I could have entered last week, but I wasn't trained for it in any way worth talking about so decided to let it go. Should I have entered anyway just because I had the opportunity?

Its up to you what you do, but I'm just interested in why somebody would do two marathons that they don't seem to have any particular goal for?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,476 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Can't agree with that at all. If you pay for something then you need to receive something, that's pretty fundamental.

Deferrals I can understand if they are genuine, because they are still attempting to provide you with the service you paid for.

But to take your money and provide nothing? Thats a four letter word, starts with S, ends with M.

To clarify, I don't consider virtual runs to be any way equivalent to an actual organised race.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

It would depend on event and who is organising it for me, and then the reason for the cancellation.

If a club organised event and event gets cancelled due to something out of their control then I wouldn't care. It would almost be set in my mind as a "charity" donation with the "prize" of a timed and marshalled run for me with potential for cake at the end, and maybe a bottle of wine if I run fast. Wouldn't be expecting them to defer all entries to the following year's event at all as that would likely sink the club with the repeat costs.

A big commercial event, like this Cardiff one, though and I'd likely have a different position. Especially if it's down to incompetence for the cancellation. That entry fee I think was relatively minimal though compared with some events so that would also have a bearing on where my opinion would fall in what I'd expect in return for a cancellation.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭kernkraft500

The goal is to complete those 2 particular marathons, because they were 2 that I always wanted to do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭py

In my experience it depends on the shoe and the person using them (weight, foot strike etc). I've got 800+ Km from Brooks Glycerins, usually north of 600Km from Ghosts but only got ~450Km from Pegasus. I'll usually have an alert on my strava account for when my shoes get to the 500Km mark. I'll then use those shoes for my easy runs and keep them out of rotation for sessions or long runs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭kernkraft500

thank you, this was the type of response I was hoping to get..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Anybody using the hrv4training app?

Wondering what others' thoughts are on the accuracy of the Vo2max and LT estimates.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Post edited by cullenswood on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Where does head position fit into form? As in, how important is it? Only thought about it the other evening, on a 'steady' run. But also, trying not to get stuck on target fixation, either.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

I've been getting a lot of sweat in my eyes over the summering running. Been taking of the sun glasses and mopping the brow with the t-shirt as a solution but I'll still wind up at some stage getting in my eyes. I know it's (relatively) hot at the moment but i'm thinking about DCM and not really wanting that to be an issue... A possible solution might be a visor but would I look like a bit of a k**b wearing a visor? Any other possible solution?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭Slideways

I live in a hot country. Baseball cap is the answer. Get one with the mesh for breathability.

Turn it backwards for aero when going faster 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Tabby McTat

I had the same issue. Started wearing a running/baseball cap and haven’t looked back since.

The one I use is the Nike Featherlight. Also wear a sweatband on my wrist to wipe my forehead if needs be. Both got me through the Paris marathon in April!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Ceepo

You do know a lot of triathletes wear a visor 😂. You could also wear a hat or go retro and wear a sweatband 😉. Old school remedy was to run some Vaseline on/above your eyebrows, this will help to stop the sweat rolling down into your eye's.

Your head should be relaxed and preferably over your torso. You don't want it to "strained" in either extended or flexed position, as this could cause muscles to fatigue , and in turn ache. It could also cause you to "tighten up" and as a result you'll be less efficient and may have a negative impact on you gait.

Apart from that, no real impact of running form 😂

Try to stay relaxed and neutral 😉

I'll defo get one so to go with my tri suit 😂

You also need to get compression calf guards to look super cool😜😜

I've been using Trailheads Race Day performance hat for about 2 months now. Reasonably priced and works very well.

As long as they match my arm warmers I fine with that!

All about the aero gains and of course the look

• Registered Users Posts: 15,984 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Hot summer or cold winter. I always build up a sweat!

couple of options. Sweat band on your wrist, rub your forehead with it as required.

bring a small sweat towel. I use micro fibre towel from decathlon, it’s smaller than a face towel and is grand in the pocket. In recent times (holidays, this was great when I soaked it in cold water and just stuck on my head as I ran.

and then a good old fashioned (or modern equivalent of a head sweat band) these are actually not that easy to find (nice ones). Tennis shops have options, but I found a great one in the running shop (can’t remember name) in Ashtown . Decathlon also have some grand ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

On this, what do you mean when you say you only got X kms from them. As in what do you look for? Toe hole in the top? Sole being worn away?

I rotate through 3 different shoes depending on the session I'm doing so I find it hard to track how many kms I've done in each shoe.

Jumping in, but for me it's the feel of the shoe. I've just retired a pair of Nb 880's that I have 800Km on. They are actually fine in terms of wear and tear on the shoe itself but the foam has really started to harden up and I can feel it in my legs when doing the runs in them. They have just become hard work if that makes any sense. I've had other shoes that I kept for 1,000k and others that I swapped out at 600K, just depends on the shoe itself. I track mine in strava as well but generally you know when the shoe is past it's best and no longer giving the support or cushioning needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

For me, I start to get pains in my feet. Anytime I've changed shoes, it goes away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Speaking of shoes, sometimes I wonder about doing sessions in carbon plate shoes/super shoes that are you losing out on some of the potential training benefits that you'd gain by doing the same session in regular runners. With regular runners you could expect to find it harder to hit certain target paces but maybe gain more from the effort required to do so. Just a thought. What do others think?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

I've gone back and forth on that one over the past couple of years. My own opinion is you lose the race boost but not necessarily the training benefit. I'm very much a run on effort person in training. Training in the carbon plates might often mean I get better return for the same effort level but the effort is still the same. However I do think there's less leg fatigue regardless , so maybe....

I wouldn't train in the high end supershoes all that often in training though. So I still get some boost on race day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Anyone have a good recommendation for a sock with a very padded toe area? Have a couple of shoes now where they fit very well but are just a smidge too long for my liking.

1000 mile socks probably the closest thing I have so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

I see quite a few professionals training in carbon plated shoes, claiming less leg fatigue and therefore faster recovery.

I think it's at least beneficial to do race pace specific sessions in your race day shoes, some people adapt seamlessly to the specific shoe geometry, but for others there can be a learning curve.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Thanks for the responses. I've never ran in carbon plates but I get a good return off the likes of Saucony Endorphin Speeds and Nike Air Tempo Next% and hit the target paces that much easier I think. Some of that could be down to mind set and like putting on your favourite gear for a race, getting into a midset so putting on the "fast" shoes has you mentally tuned in. I really like the Tempo Next% and do wonder about running in them more and the downside of that. Recovery wise they definitely help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

You could check out the Bridgedale socks? They have padding and might work for you.

Advertisement