Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2022 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

The ECM above suggesting 10mm east to 30mm west and 50mm far west over the next week or so...

This mornings GFS suggesting less...

So too is the GEM.

ICON's output only goes to next Tuesday, but again a similar dry theme for much of the east and midlands and parts of the SW.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

do you think that will happen? The rain never arrives in eastern areas anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Cumhachtach

The forecast Atlantic regime is 9/10 days away in FI. Time for it to water down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Another lovely day in Dublin, blue skies with some patchy cloud and 21 degrees. Cannot get over how consistently dry it’s been for 2 months and every day into at least the low 20s.

The charts are chopping and changing so much there isn’t much point looking beyond four or five days in my opinion.

The month could either go out in style or with an autumnal chill.

Who expected 11 hours of sunshine in Dublin on Sunday?

edit: I presume the only reason 1955 doesn’t have a place in the record books is because it was a late starter and was a July/Aug/Sept summer after a cold and wet June.

I put this edit in the wrong post and should obviously have been in my later post

Post edited by Elmer Blooker on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,612 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

And for some perspective, the summer mean at Casement is around 16.0C to August 22nd. Only 1976, 1983, 1995, 2006 and 2018 have been warmer than the summer of 2022 to date here.

Rain wise, this is where 2022 stands for Dublin Airport's driest summers so far:

1975 78.6mm

1995 89.0mm

2018 92.9mm

2006 95.0mm

1959 100.0mm

2022 104.4mm

1976 111.9mm

1983 118.1mm

Thanks for sharing Syran, really interesting data. I would imagine the rainfall one is also down to June being a pretty poor month, July and August so impressive. Phoenix park has only recorded 48mm of rain for the whole of July and August combined up to 22nd August !

Funny looking at the years on your list for summer mean temperatures, I am not overly surprised by 2018 but I am surprised at 2006, I thought that was a shocker of a summer because I have memories of things that happened that year but clearly it was a very nice summer. 1995 always the benchmark for great summers :)

Certainly Summer 2022 one for the memory bank from a positive perspective (in Dublin / East anyway).

I’m amazed that 1976 had over 100mm as I thought it was a three month drought summer?

of the 89mm in 1995 I’m almost certain that about half of that amount (c 40mm) fell during a thunderstorm one Sunday afternoon in the middle of July.

I’m also almost certain the summer of 1959 extended into October when records were set early in that month?

Yes. Offaly were playing Kilkenny in a classic Leinster hurling final. Anyone seeing the highlights of that game, and having not lived through summer 1995, would say that must have been an horrendous summer!

Post edited by Cumhachtach on

Cloud has pushed up from the south west after a lovely late morning and much of the afternoon. We had high cloud and partly cloudy conditions mid-morning, but could see plenty of blue sky to my west and north with the dividing line pretty much overhead.

Temperatures once again up slightly over 22c here in south Laois... It really has been a good run of days over the weekend and up 'till now compared to what was forecast.

It always feels good to get better weather than forecast than vise versa!

• Advertisement

Just to prove that here's GFS 12z latest offering for 2 September.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The GFS has been very consistent with it's unsettled and cool opening week of September. This is also showing up on the ECM now as well with low pressure sitting right over Ireland by September 2nd. GEM also shows a deep area of low pressure sitting off western Ireland on 2nd of September. We should know in a few days how cool and unsettled the opening week of September could become. This is still a full week away so hoping for some major downgrades before then because it would be nice to maintain the traditional summery back to school week before autumn gets going proper by mid September.

Very positive long range weather forecast from Met Eireann, updated this evening.

June 1955 was quite wet yeah, wetter than all those whole summers listed. August 1955 also had one very wet day - 54.4mm on the 21st. Must have been an isolated storm as this was the chart for that very day.

Partially, we avoided a lot in June in Dublin and it was still a dry month in the county but not on the level of the latter 2. You are perhaps thinking of 2007, which is one of our worst summers on record followed by another shocker in 2008. 2006 was my earliest weather memory, I owned a mobile then in Donabate and I just about recall the fantastic July that year with plentiful sunny days along with a coastal view on my doorstep everyday. I was only an itty bitty 5 year old then though so just barely remember it outside of the family photos and the stats.

I definitely won't be forgetting 2022 in a hurry for not only the conditions we've had these past 2 months but also because of how crazy it has been for western Europe in general.

Both June and August 1976 notably dry, especially August with only 6.6mm all month. July was the joker in the pack with 82.8mm, it had at least 4 days with 10mm or more in the first half alone and the second half was quite cool. That second half of July 1976 to early August is widely forgotten by the UK folk especially I have found.

Bang on about 1995, 39.0mm fell on Sunday 16th July 1995.

Indeed 1959 summer was sunny, warm and dry from May to mid-October. It is the sunniest year on record for Dublin and Ireland - almost 2000 hours of sunshine all year at Rosslare and holds the highest sunshine total on record for a single summer too that 1995 could not beat but 1995 is more widely sunnier. These sun totals for 1959 at Rosslare are a bit nuts for Ireland.. shame the station wasn't operational during July 1955.

do you know how I remember that Sunday afternoon? I was sizzling on the beach in Wexford and it was on the radio that the Leinster final was delayed by a thunderstorm!

Thanks Syran for your posts, I have a huge interest in past weather,

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The past 2 months in Meath have been very good indeed. Only a handful of days that haven't reached 20C or more. This second half of August could easily be seen as 'meh' after the heatwave spell of the first 2 weeks but in reality we haven't had a single poor day of weather this August. The 2 days after the heatwave ended were the only chilly days this month but they were mostly dry. It's been back in the low 20s again ever since and the remaining days of August should get close to 20C with a few of those days getting to 21 or 22C. For me this is probably the most memorable summer since 1995. 2018 was very close to this year but August 2018 wasn't great so that's why I hold this summer in a higher tier. I have very little memory of summer 2006 but know that it did contain some very nice sunny and warm days. I thought summer 2021 was fairly decent too but obviously nowhere near the quality of 2018 or 2022.

It's getting some bonus points from me solely for the fact August has provided for once, it's such a novelty to get a great August that when one like 2022 turns up, it feels so nice. Ok it's not an August 1995 but this is more than good enough for me. Consistently fine days and an epic spell with record breaking temperatures. Grand really. No more referring back to 2003 that August did this, did that.

Not summer but March was superb and April was good, more especially in the second half though the easterly wind did get annoying here on the coast. Disappointing May and June but we haven't done bad at all have we this year, along with a lovely dry, sunny January to boot.

What stands out to me most of all though is that we're still in the period of mild anomalies that began in June 2021. This has to end at some point, it is getting ridiculous. I don't have IMT stats to hand but I wouldn't be surprised if we're touching records by now. Longer than the 2006-07 exceptional mild period that ended in Summer 2007.

My earliest memories of summers gone by was 1997, and that was beautiful. That period between 1995-97 was crazy good. 1998 will be remembered for that fab September "indian summer". 1999-2001 were modest, 2002 was a washout.

Then 2003 we had a 2022-esque late July and August. 2004-2005 were average, while in 2006 we had that amazing mid summer. 2007-2012 were a disaster, full stop. 2013 was crazy good and continued warm until late September. 2014 was a very humid and muggy summer. with a most pleasant indian summer in September. 2015-2017 were sub standard and worse.

2018 was brilliant except for a complete washout in late July and well into August. 2019 and 2020 had very pleasant springs before a cloudy and wet fest for the subsequent summer. While last year had a good ends to both July and August but other than that, nothing to write home about. Of course no need to remind posters about this year's summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Let's hope the south and east see rain soon,some places are like a dustbowl

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Light rain in Greystones now. 20.0c atm.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

What's up with ME hourly forecasts? They have been way off recently. (Maybe the wrong thread for this? MODS, I should have posted this in the ME thread I think...)

My earliest memories of summers gone by was 1997, and that was beautiful. 

Was 1997 the Summer with a disaster of an August Bank Holiday weekend for the south with heavy rain and flooding? That blew a major hole in an otherwise decent summer. Think Donegal was the place to be that weekend with mid to high 20s while the south was 10c cooler and wet. IIRC Met Eireann were caught off-guard for that one.

Indeed and in general, it was quite a poor summer for the south of the country. Donegal was the place to be that summer. Malin Head had one of its better summers on record and was the sunniest station in the entire country out of our limited sunshine station network which is highly unusual. June mostly cool, cloudy and wet away from the far north; it was exceptionally wet for England & Wales with the summer solstice being infamously awful there along with 1977 and 2021. July was pleasant, notably cold first day but fairly warm and changeable otherwise. August was exceptionally warm, humid and wet with those extreme rainfalls for the south that you mention.

Far from a typical Irish summer, that's for sure.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Despite the generally dry forecast for today, looks like an area of rain may clip the south east soon. Cloud has not cleared Greystones (...as I was expecting it to).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

I haven't looked at the IMT stats for a while but give me a few days. Last time I checked though, the running 365 day average anomaly was running equal to that of the 2007 period you mention,, but this time around, these higher anomalies are running for a more extended period.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭highdef

Mostly cloudy in Trim, Meath but thanks to the placement of the areas of cloud relevant to my location, sunshine has been almost unbroken today. Breezy but mild to quite warm.

It's not often I can say it's mostly cloudy with (almost) unbroken sunshine in the one sentence!

another dry day in Dublin if a bit cloudier. Still very pleasant though with just a light breeze. Watered the garden yesterday, the ground like a rock and the grass still very yellow. You can tell the plants are almost craving rain

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭White Clover

The plants will be all the better for it. They will put down deeper roots and be better prepared for a long hot summer next year, hopefully!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭appledrop

Another lovely day I'm Dublin, it really is an unbelievable run of good weather for August. Its the best August I ever remember.

I've pictures of us out and about other years and we have raincoats on, look freezing in some pictures, the usual crack for August 🤣

Even the forecast wet days this year are wrong 90% of time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭appledrop

Unreal colours this evening during sunset.

Advertisement