Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your New WHS Index

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Scratch that. I think it’s fine actually. I hadn’t factored in the low score index. I think it’s .1 out but that’s probably just rounding

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭Russman

Totally agree and I'm not defending it for a second. I think no system will ever get rid of that hard core of a few bad eggs in every club though.

Someone having to shoot 59 is madness, couldn't agree more, but a 30 h/c has far more scope for improvement on a given day, and there's probably far more high handicaps in each club than low golfers so the odds of one of them shooting the lights out are much higher.

Perhaps a handicap limit for the big competitions ? Not sure how much support it would have though.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,229 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

The people make the system. My story was more from the angle (in reply to Fix) that even superb scores aren't enough. It wasn't really an argument against the new system directly. It happened with the old as well, to a lesser degree imo. It was more from the sense that it's a shame to see exceptional golf getting swallowed up in a sea of 100 grosses.

The new system allows for much greater cute hoorism and we've a lot of cute whores knocking around. There are even levels of it... People get called out when they are "really taking the piss" in our place, that's when you're approaching approximately 8-10 shots higher from what I gather. A kind of cute whore self-policing. Bring me back to the days when the "ordinary decent" cute whore only had 2-3 shots up the sleeve.

In fairness to the club, they hit people with reductions early on, but there's only so much they can do. It has snowballed at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

Fairly easy to identify where you play and also to identify who you’re talking about. I haven’t heard anyone in the club caste aspersions on him until now.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭thewobbler

if I’m reading this right, the bone of your contention here would seem to be that a scratch golfer shooting his lights out, is more virtuous and deserving of a prize than a higher-handicap golfer shooting his lights out.

if that’s right, then WHS isn’t your issue… it’s handicapping in general.

the game of golf wouldn’t exist without handicaps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭OEP

Scratch golfers never won competitions under the older system either. They pick up a lot of handy gross prizes though so I don't feel too sorry for them!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

I think some of it does go back to the point @FixdePitchmark made about people expecting to be competitive/winning as soon as they start playing golf.

I was awarded a handicap of 22 when I first joined a club, and I remember some people being surprised that I'd gotten something that high. In my first year at the club (half year really as I joined midyear) the best I managed was a couple of buffers. Under GI I probably would have been awarded a handicap close to 30 with my initial cards ( think they were something like 104, 106, 99 on a par 72)

I've no issue with getting the 22 to start, and I kicked on from it in my second year, but never really expected to be in with a shout of winning comps. I went for lessons and tried hard to improve. My first handicap cut felt like an achievement and genuine progress. If I'd been given 30, and then shot a buffer score off my allocated handicap, I'd suddenly go from shooting say, 34 points to shooting 42 points and be in the mix for a prize.

I like the new system, I'm a maths person, so I like the theory behind it, I like that it makes me push for the best score I can manage, even on my off days, because I could be dropping a round, or trying to minimise the increase in my handicap.

I just don't think it's built for Irish club golf.

1 out of the top 5 in our Captains played off 10, rest were 20+ and the top 3 were about 4-5 stroked higher than 4th. I don't think that should generally be the case over 2 weekends of stroke play off the blues. The gross winner was 15 stokes worse than the overall winner over 2 rounds. The 5 stroke increase is probably the biggest factor. We've guys off 22 that were off 17 a year ago, when under the the old system, they'd be off 18. Using our Captains format, of 2 weekends of strokes, that would be 8 extra strokes in their pocket compared to the old model. I'm not saying or implying these guys are cheating by the way, just that the system itself allows for these swings to happen

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

This is the biggest issue. The system is trying to compensate for different abilities but also vastly different efforts.

Why should the person who plays once a month and never practices have an equal chance of winning as the person who plays multiple times a week and practices for hours everyday?

"if its working exactly as expected and "working as expected" is so at odds with what I've been used to and expected over the years."

I think its this 100%.

I think its doing exactly what they want it to do, which might make sense if the bulk of your golfers are casual golfers who play randomly.

But when your golfers are typical Irish/English/Scottish golfers who play competitions weekly, then it doesnt work. It favours the random/social type of player too much as it basically keeps feeding you more shots until you can be competitive. But why should you be competitive if you dont play frequently?

Should I be able to win a 100M race if I dont ever train? How much a head start makes a mockery of the whole event?

Should there be a cap on the amount you can beat your handicap by and still win?

Should a 30 handicap be able to win shooting 10 over gross for example? Is that just too far outside the acceptable (rather than expectable) distribution?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭paulos53

Interesting to see some of the winning scores reported above. In contrast, the scoring in my own club has been nothing out of the ordinary in the major competitions. If anything it is the higher handicaps who are missing out on the big prizes.

The President's and Captain's prizes were both won with 39 points by players with playing handicaps of 7 & 12.

The 6 monthly medals have seen winning scores in the range of 67 to 71 (par is 72). The winning handicaps were 1, 4, 10, 16, 17 & 18.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

The maximum amount your handicap can increase in a calendar year needs to be brought back in again. Capped at 2 shots

has anyone seen any course get their slope re-assessed?

Castleknock was done recently and slope is now slightly lower, but only small changes. IMO it's still to high (as in i don't think it's that difficult a course), but it was good to see it being done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭newport2

I agree with this. The first handicap I was given was 14 and it took me about 3 years to be able to play to it. What right had I to expect that I'd be in contention to win competitions immediately after starting golf? None. And I didn't.

I think in my current club today on handing in the same 3 cards, they'd probably give me a handicap of about 24, I'd probably be in the prizes several times in the first season and thinking this is great. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have worked as hard to improve though.

At this stage I only care about my own handicap and I think the WHS system is quite good for that. I like the way shooting a decent score that might not get you cut is still worth it, as it will kick in when a good score drops off your top 20 and stop your handicap increasing as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭thewobbler

But that’s not a WHS issue imho. It’s a competition format issue.

In the majority of sports we have graded systems, whereby tiered leagues are used to keep serious competitors with talent, apart from serious competitors with limited talent, apart from limited competitors.

i for one would absolutely respect any desire/right to have competitions for heavy-practicing-golfers only. Or for having a “grade” within member competitions whereby you can only qualify for that grade if say a) you have at least 20 cards each year for 3 years, and b) your handicap is not more than 2 strokes higher than it was 3 years ago.

But I suspect that most of those who qualify are the same people who play teams, and scratch cups already. That’s why they exist. To challenge golfers who are committed. The weekly stableford just isn’t that horse.

No, I'm not suggesting that at all. Just that say, a 30 handicapper will find it easier to shoot 40pts than a scratch guy will find it to, and if you have, I dunno, 30% of the field 20+ handicap, there's a good chance one of them will go nuts on the day. I've no issue with that, it happens. Just like juniors tend to come down in handicap in big chunks at a time.

But why shouldn't he ? He pays his subs just the same as the more dedicated member. Isn't that what any handicapping system is trying to theoretically level out ? I mean, I fully get where you're coming from, but presumably in most cases the dedicated guy will get his rewards by being a lower handicap or qualifying for a competition he wanted to play in or something like that - I'd bet most dedicated practisers aren't doing it for prizes, there's something else driving them.

Even under CONGU I don't really ever remember any of our low guys thinking they had a realistic chance in the Captains. It was always about winning the gross and the pride in having the lowest score on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭slingerz

The issue with a lot of banditry is proving it. How can you say someone has pulled up? For example I know a guy at the weekend who went NR, NR, NR on holes 16, 17 & 18 at the weekend (run of the mill comp) for 35pts. Now I could infer that a handbrake came on but impossible to prove.

this guy won 1 major off a mark 5 shots higher and was second in another with a score that usually wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭slingerz

I do think that tiering the competitions is the fairest way of eliminating much of the issues that exist at present. If there was no ‘overall’ winner rather graded winners then the argument over extended handicaps hoovering up prizes is gone.

for example, captains Cat 1 prize winner the same as captains cat 3 winner in terms of prizes received

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭finglashoop

this is the problem

cant actually prove it unless player himself tells you.

but occams razor for me and people should be called out by the club for it.

integrity of major competitions are gone now for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

I have heard that they are all been reassessed at the end of the year. I was told that by Golf Ireland employee on handicap committee.

Corballis is a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

A lot of links courses seem to be skewed low.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

@slingerz like your idea. Lots of frustration out there with current system. Don't see a problem with category only prizes. Another thing I'd add is a 'probation period' for new golfers. I'd say, no prizes until the 20 rounds are established.

Played with a lovely gentleman for the last 2 weekends. He was playing off 32. He was well able to play. Shot 39 and 42 points. Delighted for him as he won his category on Sunday. But still uneasy that someone with sound fundamentals can get a handicap that high.

Higher handicaps, over 24, should be for juniors only.

My dad can hardly walk. Still plays golf in a buggy. He is hovering around 30. Once was as low as 11 for a good number of years. Every now and again he might play well and get close to 40 but generally he be doing well to shoot high 20’s. Plenty of other octogenarians and even noctogenarians (whatever you call 90+ year olds) would be the same, so the higher handicaps are nice to let them have a glimmer of hope every so often, so saying the higher handicaps should just be for juniors only is probably a bit unfair

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Same as that, lowest my dad ever got to was 11, he's off 35 now and still isnt shooting to it. Just cant hit the ball like he used to but jaysis on the days he pushes close to his handicap are the best for him. I'd hate to see him trying to struggle to playing off 24 now. I doubt he'd even bother teeing up in competitions at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭moycullen14

Ballybunion off the blues is 131 IIRC. It should be about 170, especially with a wind blowing. I believe the rating is done by visual inspection, subject to certain criteria. Links courses generally have no trees and limited water => low slope. Is that true? If so, it's crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭blue note

The ratings of courses is where my concern lay when I first read about this system. I still don't understand why the rating can't be used as a starting point, but after that the scores on the course be considered. If members of a particular course at consistently recording better score differentials on other courses and visitors to that course consistently worse score differentials there compared to when they play other courses, then the course rating must be wrong. It may have been calculated correctly based on the criteria used to calculate it. But the criteria was not suitable to measure the difficulty of the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

I'm a member of Arklow and any other course I play I get more shots back, very rarely get a reduction. I find it hard to believe at times as I find Arklow a very difficult course compared to other (Non Links) course I have played.

• Advertisement

Your sub doesnt entitle you to win though, it entitles you to access the course. If this is not the case then people on reduced sub should have less chance to win?

Advertisement