Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid vaccines - thread banned users in First Post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,236 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

You're contradicting yourself:

You accused the authors of the paper of being grifters, or receiving money from grifters to alter their conclusions.

This means that the paper was fraudulent.

If that's not that you mean, then please explain what you meant. Who were the grifters and how were they grifting?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭hometruths

Ok I am not as familiar with, nor obsessed by, the term grifters as you are. Having just googled it I have discovered it does suggest an element of fraud, so I take that back.

I have always interpreted grifting to be a term referring to the idea of people pushing a narrative because their income depends on them doing so.

I think the authors of this study found it profitable to come to these conclusions, but I stand corrected on the grifting - that is not grifting as the conclusions are not demonstrably fraudulent.

Lol. So according to you, they altered the content of the study in a way they knew wasn't true so that they could profit.

How is this different to fraud?

And lol. I'm not "obsessed" with the term. What a bizarre thing to claim.

Well I am not accusing them of knowing for sure it wasn't true. Just that the assumptions were hugely optimistic, and favourable to the conclusions that the every man, woman and child should get vaccinated.

But if it makes you happy, fine. They knew it wasn't true. Thus the paper is fraudulent and they're just your standard grifters, publishing for profit.

Ok, if you're saying that they don't know that it wasn't true, but you do despite not having any training and only getting your information from the internet, then they are clearly incompetent and aren't qualified.

But as you've said many times, this can't be the case.

And since it's impossible that you are just wrong and overly pessimistic in your untrained, highly biased opinion, it only leaves the possibility that they are knowingly engaging in fraud.

So you're finally confirming that you believe the paper is fraudulent. Glad we finally got the pretense out of the way.

Are all of the people who funded the paper also part of this conspiracy? Is the Lancet?

• Advertisement

Getting back to the point I was making pre deflection - Pfizer are skipping clinical trial data in seeking emergency use authorisation for a booster with a new formula. Instead they are relying on "pre clinical data"

CNN has some more info:

"FDA will be using the totality of the available evidence to authorize the fall bivalent boosters," FDA spokesperson Abigail Capobianco said in a statement emailed to CNN last week. 

So if the available evidence is zero clinical trials that is what the FDA will be approving on. I wonder will astrofool think this is extremely comprehensive evidence.

Of course, if the available evidence is not clinical trials as previously required, what is the currently available evidence?

As for the BA.4/5 component, a combination of nonclinical data obtained in mice, data from prior variant vaccines (including those to beta, delta, and omicron BA.1), along with our extensive knowledge of the safety and efficacy of the mRNA platforms will be used for this decision-making.

So the only data available relating to the new formula - the BA.4/5 component - is "nonclinical data obtained in mice"!!!

If this is approved and rolled out with much fanfare as a new variant specific up to date booster, how many of those people who eagerly roll up their sleeves to receive it, because they trust the experts, will actually realise that the only evidence the experts have on which to form an expert opinion is "nonclinical data obtained in mice".

Not very many would be my guess.

Cool. You're deflecting from the points then.

But in the statements you're highlighting, they explain what evidence they'll be using.

data from prior variant vaccines (including those to beta, delta, and omicron BA.1), along with our extensive knowledge of the safety and efficacy of the mRNA platforms will be used for this decision-making.

Is this data somehow invalid?

What would make the new variant so different to make all of that data invalid?

Remember, there's been billions of vaccines given out and there's been no major safety issues been found.

I know they have data from previous vaccines. Which are different. Thats why I said:

So the only data available relating to the new formula - the BA.4/5 component - is "nonclinical data obtained in mice"!!!

Ok.

So why is it invalid?

What about the new formula makes it so different from the previous ones that all of that data (again, billions of vaccines with no evidence of any significant side effects.) invalid or non-applicable?

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭kernkraft500

• Advertisement

It’s non clinical data obtained in mice.

Seems to me like a low bar for emergency use approval in humans, but I’m not surprised that vaccine fanatics disagree.

That’s a different formula, not the specific one they requested EUA for yesterday.

You're dodging the question. Again. You're deflecting. Again.

I wasn't asking you about the data in mice.

The question was:

data from prior variant vaccines (including those to beta, delta, and omicron BA.1), along with our extensive knowledge of the safety and efficacy of the mRNA platforms will be used for this decision-making.

Is this data somehow invalid?

What would make the new variant so different to make all of that data invalid?

well considering you can't apply for emergency approval with out some sort of phase2/3 data... I'm calling bullshit on that too

because it is now mixed with a new component, the effects of which are unknown, except for in mice.

I agree it’s pretty unbelievable, no argument from me on that point.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

If a car has passed all it's safety tests, and then the manufacturer releases it with a new shade of paint do they need to repeat all the safety tests from the beginning again? If they fit a new car radio option do they need to repeat all the crash tests again?

What exactly has changed with the new vaccine variants?

I know you're trying to twist this, but you can't actually submit an application without that data... i.e. your whole theory that it's a mice only tested formula...it would not get past the application point

The analogy with the car is stupid. They do not need to repeat all the crash tests because there is no legal requirement to do so. Imposing that requirement on them would be stupid.

In order to roll out this particular shot, they are legally required to apply for EUA.

You may think it is a stupid requirement but it is a requirement nonetheless, one imposed by experts presumably for good reason.

They are submitting the application with the old clinical data, from a different formula.

they don’t have any clinical data yet on this latest formula because they have not yet started clinical trials.

• Advertisement

Ok. What specifically about the new component makes all of the previous data invalid?

What's different about this component?

Why have I to ask you this question 3 times to get an answer?

Adding a new component into a formula means that the formula is different before and after the new component is added.

This is a pretty basic concept to grasp.

So it is not a foregone conclusion that injecting that into people will have the same results as the previous injection you gave them.

it may be better, it may be worse, it may be no different. But that’s what clinical trials are for. To find this stuff out before injecting into millions of people telling them it’s proven to be safe and effective*

*on mice

Yes, you keep stating this, but you're only stating this vague, surface level claim.

What specific component was changed? How was it changed? What is the new component?

4th time asking without an answer.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

So if they have submitted the incorrect information do you not think that their application would get rejected if it doesn't meet the requirements?

Maybe Pfizer and the regulators actually know more about these things than you do, and so know if the relevant information has been provided or not.

Maybe it is actually the equivalent of a new coat of paint that has been changed.

So if they have submitted the incorrect information do you not think that their application would get rejected if it doesn't meet the requirements?

Well the implication that will never be said out loud is that there's a conspiracy going on to allow them to skip these requirements.

This updated formulation will combine the original vaccine with one that targets Omicron sublineages BA.4 and BA.5

The BA.4/5 component is the new component - whatever wizardy they have developed to specifically target the BA.4/5 variant is sufficiently new that they do not have any clinical data for this specific formulation.

This was in the links I posted earlier. The fact you have to ask four times to grasp that this is a new formulation is not down to me.

And maybe the vaccines for which the approval bar gets lower every time are "safe and effective". Or maybe not. But all of this sort of maybe testing on mice is good enough for emergency use approval is why many people, including medical professionals, take issue with the mantra that the vaccines have been proven to be safe and effective.

Lol. No dude, I grasp fully well that it's a new formulation. You are still deflecting from the question. No point in asking you a 5th time.

You don't actually know what's different about the new variant targeting vaccines. You don't know how it targets the new strains of the virus.

You just don't want to admit that.

So since you don't actually know, how do you know that the change isn't as superficial as changing the coat of paint on a car?

How do you know that the change isn't something that doesn't change the vaccine in any ways that would effect it's safety?

Again, I feel I'm going to have to repeatedly ask you this question to get a straight response.

Misrepresentation.

It's not "maybe testing on mice".

You are once again ignoring that your sources actually say. You pointed to a quote that states what the evaluation is based on, and it's more than just "testing on mice".

• Advertisement

So you don't know then.

Is it likely that between Pfizer and the regulators, and Moderna and that they have already got their new version of the vaccine approved in the UK, they might just have the knowledge about exactly what has changed and what new levels of trials are required, or not, for the new version?

Advertisement