Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukrainian refugees in Ireland - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭enricoh

On the radio this morning the Ukrainian soccer league has resumed again, all the while paddy is taking roughly 1000 a week in. We've hammered our tourism industry, hammering students n now gaa, soccer etc are asked to hand over their clubhouses. It's beyond farcical at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

I don't know what "Captain Philips" is referring to, unless you're talking about the film? Are you trying to suggest all Somalians are pirates, or something? Grow up, if so.

Yes, I am teaching for free. A few dozen of us are, just in my postal district alone. Classes are held midweek daytime, midweek evenings and at the weekend, in various locations. This is replicated all across Dublin, and, in fact, the country. All voluntary. Which is just one of the reasons I can take heart in the fact that the "they're all economic migrants"/"leeches"/"Ireland is full"/"they make me vomit" crowd on here are a tiny minority, compared to the vast majority of Irish people.

I dunno - maybe some of us had decent history teachers and remember when the Irish had to depend on other countries letting us in, when we emigrated for more than just economic reasons.

Yes! By George Soros! I get paid per person, so it's in my interests to have as many immigrants as possible arrive, even better if their English is terrible. I just take a photo of the room, send it on, and George personally Revoluts me the money within the hour. It's great!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Icsics

Article in Examiner, chickenpox outbreak means some families can’t leave student accommodation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,464 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

What's so amusing, is all the entitled whingers on this thread complaining about refugees keeping them from affording things like housing, where the whingers should be doing volunteer work to improve their vitae and networking and who knows, maybe better job connections. But no, hang around on boards trying to create an anti-refugee echo chamber slapping each on the back before they go off and waste more time.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Well it's been a while since we've seen the "we wuz imigrantz onze" gambit.

And they didn't just let us in. Try turning up in Ellis Island back in the day with any disability or illness. And with the exception of the UK post war they certainly didn't have nor give us generous social welfare payments(and the UK's was nor remains hardly generous). The vast majority of the Irish diaspora went to European ex colonies in the New World founded upon immigration and needing same until quite recently. Try emigrating to same today without qualifications and a job on the other side.

I do love how going from a few dozen people you know and the people on this thread you can gauge the feelings of the "vast majority of Irish people". When the Irish people were tasked with voting about the birthright loophole 80% voted to close it. Not a single constituency voted to keep it open. A larger percentage of passing votes than either the Repeal or SSM referenda. Would you be so confident of running a similar vote around immigration today, particularly about asylum seekers?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

The refugee industry in Ireland is having stellar growth figures nowadays. Any school leavers should certainly consider it!

Fair play to George, I know he gets a lot of stick!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

Its all very well that folks want to help refugees.

But a) there's a right way to do it with a plan and b) there are limits to what is feasible

Impacting massively on our population while ultimately shoving them into tents, halls and factories is not the right way to do it.

We do have amongst the worlds worst availability of housing right now....that is not an exaggeration. There are students that cannot attend their classes and have to defer and drop put already. Local working people, irish and non Irish, are desperately searching for accommodation everyday.

We have so many underfunded services already, our metrics on health and education and safety are rapidly going backwards. Class sizes increasong,healthcare waiting lists increasing, numbers on social housing assistance increasing....

There's no reason why anybody should apologise for wanting to call a halt, at least temporarily. Thats the adult decision.

I'm not one bit embarassed. The people who should be embarassed are the government and the owners who smelled the money and forgot about the very people who kept their business going for years. I'm glad they were made to feel they did the wrong thing! It was VOMIT inducing.

• Advertisement

Try emigrating to same today without qualifications and a job on the other side.

Emigrants once? Once?! We still are!

I know a few who have emigrated to the U.S. all right and never came home when their visas expired. Still there, still working. Remember, now, they're Irish, so we call them "undocumented", and not "economic migrants", and we say things like "Sure it must be awful tough on them all the same, not being able to come home for Christmas and the like" and not "They make me vomit!"

Wait.. It's the US. They're illegals! Build that ...hmm..

Population of Somalia is 17m according to Wikiipedia, how many do we take in? 100k? 200k?

I deal with numbers in my job, the numbers simply don't add up.

Even better, the population of Nigeria is estimated at 220m, how many Nigerians should we take?

Actually, a lot of us would call the Irish there illegals.. the same as we would the foreign groups in Ireland. The undocumented phrase is a political effort to normalise the situation, making it acceptable. I'd be perfectly happy with the US deporting every Irish person living in the US illegally..

Also you shifted goalposts from what Wibbs said. You know Irish who met the requirements for a US visa.. they got in legally. What they did afterwards is different from what was stated originally.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,849 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

That one is easy - an illegal is an illegal regardless of nationality.

If the "undocumented" are overstaying their welcome they should be identified, rounded up and deported.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭timmyntc

We are not a nation of immigrants. Those Irish in the past who emigrated are not the irish here today - the ireland of today is made up chiefly of those who stayed put.

As for feeling sorry for illegal irish in america - as if! They are rulebreakers, illegal immigrants, they deserve no amnesty nor special treatment. As polls here at home show, the majority in Ireland itself see the situation the same way. Little sympathy here for "undocumented irish" aka illegal immigrants to the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Well at least your opening your own home and donating your time. Though you still have your own home and are past college age so are not directly impacted by the housing shortage.

Irish people immigrated to countries that didn’t provide welfare at the time, when if they did it was a token payment. Anyone living illegally in the US is not entitled to welfare. The Irish welfare state is very generous and that money scales when it’s sent out of Ireland to less developed nations.

We are not a nation of immigrants. Those Irish in the past who emigrated are not the irish here today - the ireland of today is made up chiefly of those who stayed put.

Sorry but that's rubbish. Many Irish people have emigrated and returned after a few years or even a few decades. Where I'm from (Midlands) it's a very common part of our lives, and while I know some people who stayed put, the majority have done a fair few years in the UK, Oz or the US, before coming back to raise their kids here.

We are a nation of migrants. Not immigrants. If we were "a nation of immigrants", the foreign born population would be much higher than it currently is. Although give us a few decades, and we might very well become a nation of immigrants.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I don't call them "undocumented". I'm not Minister McEntee fond of mealy mouthed deflections. If they're in the US illegally, by definition they're illegal immigrants and should be kicked out.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭US3

Amazing that it's safe to start up the Ukrainian soccer leagues again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Moragle

Dancing daisy is it walnut Grove that's being given back to the students in letterkenny? Never heard but any sort of student accommodation being given back to the students it was designed for is obviously good news

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Another reason is that if they return, they have to pay 18% tax on all money they received while away from the country, whether they were handed it or earned it. Although that should be easy enough for them, as they aren't spending it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

lol, chickenpox. Is it some kind of new lethal strain ? I remember chickenpox parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Chickenpox can actually be lethal or cause very bad illness for children who are immuno compromised or on chemotherapy .

If that's the case then keeping them in Student accomodation was a terrible idea a hotbed for illness yes ? You would think own house accomodation for the likes of that yes ? Just sounds like an excuse to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

A convenient excuse ma lord.

Let the students back for god sake, the country is already giving you (Ukrianinans) everything else.

Don't bite the hand that feeds you, shelter's your and transports you.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,332 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Volunteer work ? Work for nothing and you’ll always have a job..you’ll always have nothing

value yourself and citizens and work for compensation, ie. Money.

I wager it's simple. Someone could volunteer while also being paid by an NGO for example. Just a theory. 🤑

I think that's shortsighted. My point that you might've skipped, is its better to improve yourself, even if it's through unpaid volunteer work, than sit around being entitled and whinging about others that might be getting something that you think you deserve, and how the gummint shouldn't do for them, but for me. Make your own way and don't rely on the kindness of strangers, unless it's impossible like your country was invaded and is being deconstructed.

• Advertisement

Much more expensive sports matches and gigs, because you've no St John's Ambulance or Order of Malta. No kids soccer, GAA or rugby or what have you, because nobody gets paid for that. No kids' or youths' sports of any kind, come to mention it. Or scouting, or youth clubs. (So without all of those diversions... more crime?) Nobody looking after senior citizens beyond the bare minimum, loads more stray animals going feral. Homeless people going hungry. Disabled people put into homes because carers aren't caring (so more taxes for you to pay).

Jesus... what a **** horrible and bleak society you aspire to!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement