Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clontarf to City Centre Cycle & Bus Priority Project discussion (renamed)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Jayuu

I travel this route twice a week on the bus and as we move towards the end of August there is an increase in traffic through Fairview and queues at the junctions and back into Fairview. I'm tending to be through there between 08:00-08:10 so I can only assume it gets worse until around 09:00. I don't know what it's like from the Richmond Road side trying to get on to Ballybough Road but I would have thought it was busy there too.

Futher down the line as I walk up Portland Row there is a significant increase in traffic here coming back down to turn on to Amiens Street. One of the days last week it was full with delays back on to the NCR.

Once schools go back there is going to be a significant increase in delays for cars through Fairview in the morning. Whether you care about that or not is a different discussion but it is the reality.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Once schools go back there is going to be a significant increase in delays for cars through Fairview in the morning. Whether you care about that or not is a different discussion but it is the reality.

You may be right. However, very few of these cars will contain children if experience will tell us anything. I'd also be curious to know, what percentage of those drivers actually needed to drive rather than made the choice to drive because they didn't want to use the available public transport options out there (including some P&R).

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭brianc89

I live in North Strand and work in D4 (although I've just left my job so haven't been traveling to work this summer.).

In general though, every year without doubt the traffic drops during summer and I start DRIVING to work (yes shoot me). I get in in 20-25minutes. PT takes 30-45 minutes depending on connection times.

I get a shock every year when schools return and I quickly switch back to PT and ditch the car. Hopefully this year, if there is enough chaos, people like me who needlessly use their car will simply ditch it and use PT

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Latest bulletin from Croke Park regarding the Garth Brooks concerts (9th, 10th, 11th, 16th and 17th September).

After the concerts, (for approximately an hour) Ballybough Road will be closed from Fairview to Summerhill and also Lower Drumcondra Road from Whitworth Road to Botanic Avenue. No suggestion as to alternate routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭DoraDelite

Well:

a. that's going to be approx 10:30pm, hardly peak times.

b. you'd be stone mad to try and drive near Croke park with 80k+ people spilling out around it. even if the roads were open you'd be sitting there for the hour in your car.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Of course I would rather avoid Croke Park, but they closed North Strand.

For people trying to get to North Strand from the Coast Road, Howth or Malahide Roads it looks like Alfie Byrne, Church Road East Wall, up Moy Elta, Ossory Road and then right on to North Strand. Not sure what those the city side of the canal can do.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

So for an hour each night for five nights, some people will need to take a slight detour because of people exiting a nearby concert. Are you really getting upset over that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Ah but the elderly. And those with young kids. Etc etc

Take a bus.

I am not getting upset, I don't know about you.

I am providing information about the subject of the thread. People further out will not be getting the Croke Park leaflets.

that may well happen. And it will be because of the people who drive rather than getting public transport, making it worse for everyone. It’s those people to whom any frustration should be vented

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Well there's nobody to blame for that except Garth Brooks really.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,407 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Has tour bus journey time been negatively impacted?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,986 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Tour buses?

Its a fair concern. If Gareth Bruukes is late for his show, they will pull the plug on him at 10.30 regardless and there'll be murders.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,691 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Traffic inevitably increases between 8 and 10 when the schools go back for a number of reasons. Aside from people just doing a school run, there are going to be teachers driving to and from work (people seem to forget about them!).

At the same time people who currently leave home earlier or later, may now drop their children off at school en route to work and that means far more people travelling at or around the same time.

Now as to how many of these groups could use the bus or train, or indeed walk or cycle, that’s another thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Traffic is so light at the moment it’s difficult to gauge what it’s going to be like when schools reopen.

The single outbound lane through Fairview seems to mean traffic moves faster than two lanes having to merge.

I think they should make all Dublin Buses that pass through Fairview free for the duration of the roadworks. Out of the €63m budget, it would be a pittance.

For some other recent concert in Croke Park, they closed Alfie Byrne outbound, to accommodate busses. Wonder if it'll be the same this time around.

It might be different this time, and I'm sure details can be found online.

There's always the port tunnel. 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,986 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

don't forget that many people are on holidays at the moment too - a lot to do with the schools being off, but work related traffic drops significantly in the summer anyway, and it's not directly related to people driving to schools.

Absolutely and I do get that, but I wasn’t really referring to the sudden increase but rather to why there are the numbers there are. Some people do seem to forget that a lot of teachers drive as well. It’s not just parents dropping kids to school as you point out.

Then in a few weeks the colleges go back, and Dublin Bus will get the annual barrage of tweets from people saying that they can’t get on the bus anymore before said people realise that they need to leave earlier. Every year it’s the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Jayuu

Not generally - one day there was a quite a delay getting over the railway bridge on North Strand for some reason.

The worry would be if traffic gets so piled up that it fill Fairview itself. That shouldn't impact the Malahide Road buses as there is a bus lane but it might cause some samll delay at the junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭KevRossi

This happens after every concert in Croke Park. I used to live near there. It's just to filter people out as efficiently as possible.

Nothing new there.

Except that now you have all the traffic diverted along Ballybough Road which will be closed.

Presumably they will suggest a different way for those of us that obey the diversion to get home, or possibly allow people drive up North Strand.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

With the exception of the concert on the 9th which is on a Friday, there should be minimal impact comaprerd to any other time given traffic won't be nearly as high as the busier rush hour traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭9320

It's the same with Matches in Croke Park though - safety for the 50 to 80k people who all have to walk out of the stadium, I'm always amazed at the muppets trying to drive around the area before and after matches. Delays to people driving will be due to their ignorance and the thousands of people walking on the roads rather than anything to do with the North Strand.

Clontarf road at Alfie Byrne section being reduced to a single lane in both directions this weekend. Best avoided!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Cycled through Fairview and North Strand this morning. You really need to take the road due to the width of the lane. Only taxis, buses, bikes and motorbikes in the inbound lane this morning. And I nearly fell off my bike when I spotted a Garda roads policing motorbike travelling outbound - finally a police presence.

Advertisement