Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭zv2

I get your drift but nazism in Ukraine is a response to Russian aggression (it began in WW2). Donbas always had Russian speakers but their number was increased by Stalin in the 50s. You can't seed a place with people who speak your language and then claim it is yours. I realize you are speaking from the Russian perspective, not necessarily your own.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Darth Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

@Wibbs

Many Russians too who see places like Crimea as very much Russian, ditto for the Donbas, where there were quite the number of Russian separatists and that percentage will have gone up since this invasion kicked off and Ukrainian nationalists had to run for their very lives.

No separatists there Russian soldiers and members of the FSB ,

Ukrainans nationalists didn't run for their lives they stood and faught as they did nearly 8 years ago when Russia first invaded

• Registered Users Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭Hoboo

The Russians never tried to take Kyiv, they’d have levelled it with rockets if they wanted to. Instead it sent Ukrainian forces west whilst the real target, the mainly Russian speaking pro Russian east who have been in a civil war for the past 10 years so this isn’t anything new. Which btw they’ve now taken, as planned. The latest is Ukraine will try take back Crimea. More pro war bullshit. The US will fight the Russians to the very last Ukrainian teacher whilst creaming resources in exchange for weapons.

Stop listening to the pro war western propaganda.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,411 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

This is nonsense. I can't believe how many times this discredited canard has popped up.

They dropped their elite paratroopers into hostomel airport. What were they, a sacrificial distraction? Then why did Russia try to link them up with their advancing forces, suffering heavy casualties in the process.

It's like saying Operation Market Garden was a distraction.

A feint doesn't send your main attack forces away from the action for weeks, leave them suffer huge casualties and loss of equipment. They came back from Kyiv in disarray. They sent them with rations to last for days, not weeks.

They wanted to capture Kyiv as an intact prize, like they wanted to capture Ukraine and return it into the Russian orbit. They didn't expect any large scale resistance. Zelensky was supposed to flee and the government collapse with him.

Russia's failure to take Kyiv was a defeat for the ages:

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭Slava_Ukraine

Used to be another day another one, now they are getting a hammering, it's another week another one

Not true at all ,they wanted and needed Kiev intact to put Viktor Yanukovych and he's other Russian colluges in power under another fake referendum,

The fact the Ukrainians faught like lions and the sheer ineptitude of the Russians who failed to get the basics right which left the Russian to take something they already occupied for the previous 8 years,

And now the Ukrainians are increasing their capabilities on a near daily basis while putin has been reduced to filing rockets at civilian locations because they can't target the Ukrainian military directly

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

German nazism was a response to post world war one reperations and the threat of the bolsheviks etc, but it was still nazism. And yeah Donbas was planted much like the north of Ireland by the English and look at the shítshow that turned out to be. That's why I've long contended that if I were Ukraine I'd leave Russia that mess. I mean look at Ulster today, at peace doing well, yet look how much cash London ploughs into it every year to sustain it.

Leave Russia that mess as I can see that being an ongoing civil war no matter who's officially "in charge" of the place. Keep them contained to it and hammer them from hell and make every step a bloody one if they try to push for Odessa.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

I agree - Let them have the Donbas - sign a peace agreement that allows Ukraine to join Nato / Eu in order to protect themselves from future "special operations"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

The 40 mile convoy must have been sitting still lost asking for directions if Kiev was not the target. 😱

• Advertisement

Why let them have Donbas,there was no history of separatistism until the FSB and Russian military arrived 8 years ago,

The Russians have finally confirmed the cause of the ammo dump explosions ,

We all know the Ukrainian military is blowing them up on a daily basis.

But according to the Russians it was the hot weather that caused them to all explode

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭wassie

I'd say that lads on his way to the frontline in the Donbas as we write.....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

What absolute nonsense. Of course they tried to take the Capital, but got absolutely slaughtered at the airport and the roads to the North. Ukraine was willing to fight for its freedom and identity.

This was never about the Russian speaking minority parts, this was about domination and control. This was about Soviet Union 2.0.

Back to Kremlin FM Radio with you!

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 18,497 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

So you think it would be right of a nation to sentence a large number of there own citizens and let Putin do what he wanted. First off in Crimea and other parts of Donbass occupied since the 2014 invasion Putin has deported a large percentages of the existing Ukrainian speaking population to other parts of Russia. That is those he has not killed. This is not Norther Ireland. Putin is Russianizing the country after taking it over

It about the most despicable suggestion and poster could make and as a person who claims to be intelligent it even worse than that.

This BS as well that if Russia or Putin step beyond we will hammer them os pure BS. Next time you be on to give them Odessa and then a piece of Transnistia in Moldova all to avoid what Obama should have done in 2014 which was to stand up to the bully.

Thank god for Biden

And you adding to it is another piece of Sh!t as a solution

Ukrainian should be supported to make its own choices. If that is until the 2014 border is reached so be it

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭zv2

I read somewhere recently that the Russian administrators were already preparing to move into new houses in Kyiv, which was going to fall in a few days. They are still waiting.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Ukraine say Russia are planning more false flag terrorist bombings to kill Russian civilians so they can keep the support going for the war and to up attacks.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

I was under the impression that the donbas has always had a history of separatism - way back before the 2014 annexation of Crimea. If memory serves me right they sought independence way back in the early 2000s. and in the 1990s. Either way whatever the ending of this special operation goes the donbas will have to be dealt with and as Wibbs says- probably by way of a civil war. Better to cut off the diseased part and move on.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Ah yes the famous Russian tactical feint, after the fact. According to "pro war, sorry "special military operation" Russian propaganda". If you believe that I've got magic beans to sell you. It's up there with the pro Ukrainian eejits claiming Russia was going to run out of weapons within a fortnight.

It was pretty clear they were going for a cut the head off the snake attack on Kyiv, thought they'd face a lot less resistence, but simply couldn't do it. They tried and failed to secure airports and other zones and lost a lot of men and materiel to do so. They were too far away, their logistics were for shíte, even with the scattered forces of Ukraine not being able to hit their tens of kilometres long truck lines. They screwed up in the north east too. They couldn't even manage air superiority. The latest angle of the Russian BS is that Ukraine had one of the best armies in Europe and that's why it's taking so long. That and it's NATO that were doing much of it. Remember the Russian scuttlebutt about French military advisors in Mariupol... A bit of a shift from the first month when the same Ukrainian forces were a rabble. Russian sympathisers high on their own supply were talking of taking the whole of Ukraine eventually and some odd stuff about Poland wanting their own bit of Ukraine in the west. That's gone silent lately.

And yep Ukraine have bugger all hope of taking Crimea. Same for Donbass. That's a pipe dream alright. They do have more hope of keeping the Russians where they are and even pushing them back across the Dnieper and stopping them taking the rest of the Black Sea coast. The Russian Black Sea fleet is essentially out of the fray for the foreseeable and when it was in it it was a farce. They lost to a nation who doesn't have a navy. Slow handclap. Their airforce is reduced to flights over already held territory. There's a reason we're not seeing downed Sukhois like we did in the early days. They're not risking them. There are tens of thousands of Ukrainian forces being trained overseas by their allies and more and more weapons and cash is being fired at them. North Korea is saying they'll send some troops for Russia. Five foot tall lads who haven't had a square meal in years. Great. Russia is going to be dealing with insurgency for years in the territory they do have. Never mind the costs in rebuilding what's left of the place.

Their economy is increasingly cut off from international markets and no China won't be much use to them. Thailand alone is a bigger market for China's economy. The EU is seven and a half times larger a market for China than Russia. The Chinese are no fools, but they will take their oil at firesale prices. India is in the mix, and always was, but throughout the cold war they played both sides and with more and more western money being fired into India they won't screw that pooch for Mother Russia.

And yep the US will keep ploughing cash into this war. It's somewhat of a "bargain" for them to bleed Russia by proxy in a conventional land war. The British will go along with the US as usual. France will throw their oar in too. Germany's a wild card, but their current wishy washy government is about as popular with Germans as a guniness wet fart in a spacesuit. The Baltic states hate Russia with a vengence and for very good reasons so they're in it for the long haul.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

A minority within the population, the same as Crimea.

Remember the word MINORITY it means less than half.....less than 50%...

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,058 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Yes I generalised. I do think in situations like this, the opinions and mood of the general 'squaddy' are important. There must be enough knowledge there that there were/are close ties between Russia & Ukraine. They must also know at a basic level that they are not waging a war for survival for their families back home. That they are engaged in a special operation to invade a neighbour and cause untold destruction and misery. At what point when the going gets tougher as autumn and winter approach, do they just say **** and start finding ways out.

Doubtless there are those too in the Ukrainian military, overall though they have a lot more motivation to hunker down, box smart and stay the course. The alternative for them is not great otherwise.

I'd say the EU first and foremost. For all the guff about NATO from the Russians, the EU and what it would bring to Ukraine is far bigger of an existential threat than any NATO presence. Fast forward ten years of EU status for Ukraine and those in the Donbas will be looking across the border at a nicer place with more cash and services. Compare Finland, or Estonia, or Poland, or Latvia to Russia.

I knew a Ukrainian lass back in 2010/11 and asking about her place as is the polite thing to do and interesting, I do remember her describing and explaining Donbass as like the North of Ireland as far as the factions went. She was half Ukrainian, half Russian, though grew up in the west of the country. She also had Russian friends here at the time. A Russian I also knew at the time suggested she should come over with me to their place for dinner some evening. Fast forward to around 2018 and I hadn't talked or seen the Ukrainian in years that same Russian when I mentioned her in passing took a very different tone. They also had Ukrainian mates back in the day, but no longer.

The general gist I got was there has long been partisan stress in that neck of the woods. That it was on the down low when Russian puppets were running Ukraine, but after Maiden the narrative of both sides changed and that partisan stuff got far more polarised and then went full civil war, blowing hot and cold.

It's called welcome to reality. There can be a hge gulf between what one wants and what one is capable of getting. Russia will not give up Crimea. Not a hope. Certainly not in the short or medium term and not without a massive shift in Russian politics and feeling. And yep they've planted it with Russians and it had a fair number there already. You really think they're going to pull them out and let Ukraine take it back? Not a hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,460 ✭✭✭Markcheese

This is 3 months basic training ... Probably fine for defensive positions ,probably not nearly enough for combined arms offensive ...

And the trained experienced junior officers are going to be in short supply ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

You be surprised how attitudes of inhabitants would have changed after 8 years of benign Russian rule.

You can see how the general Russian population is after near 30 years of Putin rule. Nearly one in ten pregnancies are terminated the birthrate is 1.5/women which is well below population sustainability at 2.2/women.

Slava Ukrainii

If ukraine takes out the very expensive bridge , how do you think they are going to hold it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭greenpilot

They don't need to hold it. Just take it out of the equation. For the time being.

2004 there a brief moment when the orange revolution started,it was quickly realized that there was no support to break away or to become authomnus,

Then came the FSB and Russian soldiers 8 years ago and suddenly we have a history of separatistism.

They also leave out how pro Russian businesses received tens of billions in government subventions ,to the point something like 80% of all Ukrainian government subsidies went to Russian companies while a pro Russian puppet was in charge of the country

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭Hoboo

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement