Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

Good post.

Hendo (I think) missed the chance to foul early in the build up to the first goal too. It's a gripe of mine that we don't use the pro foul to stop counter attacks enough. His passive play is needed of course with our FBs almost always ahead of him but he couldn't do it last night.

We're too predictable when Darwin doesn't play and rarely dribble through the lines with a midfielder. One FB only ahead of the ball at any given time please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Hendo and VVD both should have taken out Martial for there second ,We where to nice,

But look at the players who where missing from the starting 11 ,

Konate, Fab, Thaigo , Jota, Nunez all have a a bit of bite and aggression , With Thiago & Fab being very professional & clever to foul at the right moments,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The dribble through lines part.

It's not really part of Fab or Hendo's game.

Thiago could pass throught those lines

Elliott was trying to run through the lines the last two games however he is stuck more out on the right.

The midfeilders have rarely done that under Klopp, Matip was the one player that broke throught the lines centrally from deep and opened up space.

Matip & Thiago are hugely missed from this team for that reason.

Its so true,

You would never think it but Matip & Thaigo are the ones who break the lines,

A couple of instances last night when Gomez had the ball but just didn't have the bravery to step forward like Matip would to help open up the space,

Thaigo trademark is that little around the corner turn which again gets us into space with a man over,

I thought Carvalho done better than Elliot when he came on simply because he took the risk to break the line more , but to be fair time was running out so he had to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

You what the most galling part of last night was, United weren't even that good, we could of snatched a draw with a small bit more effort. Near our best we would of blown them away

Id go as far as saying if just Fab had of started we would have won ,

The first 5 minutes he would have got us from Defence to Attack a lot better & eased the pressure and kept there fans a bit more quite ,the second goal certainly wouldn't have happened ,Even if he took the touch Hendo did he would have made sure to make the professional foul ,

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Robert2014

He should have done a professional foul against Palace that would have stopped the opening goal and failed to do it. He is not in form either and I couldn't be sure he would take the foul. It's an area we are poor at compared to city for example.

Yeah sure. Last night though a lot of things broke down up front and came back at us quickly. The passing was so poor our attackers hadn't a chance to even consider fouling.

Yup, your right. I suppose I'm concerned at being predictable. Fab had a spell with 5 or 6 goals in a 10 game run (say) last season.

Keeping the opposition honest should always be part of the game-plan even in a rigid system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

He reminds me of my father in his late 50's when he used to come along and play 5 a side with us when I was younger. One of the fittest men I've ever met and was probably fitter than me at the time despite me being in my 20's as he was/is a black belt in Judo and ran his own schools etc and played badminton and squash etc frequently and could run all day for you but so often you would just see him swing for the ball and totally miss as he simply lacked the dexterity and agility to basically kick the ball after sprinting or while sprinting. Almost as if the signal from his brain to his limbs had slowed a second or two and his body was no longer doing what he wanted it to do in those split second moments. Saw ALOT of this from Milner last night and everytime he plays nowadays really, he can still make runs and run in general but his reaction times has slowed waaaay down and his ability to just control a ball and pass it on or shoot or anything while running is completely gone.

And as for embarrassing him by taking him off at HT, I'm not sure that would have been more embarrassing than his performance overall tbh. Milner should have admitted he wasn't up to it if anything and volunteered to come off, that's how bad he was. I love Milner as much as the next guy but his days as a starter ended a long long time before yesterday and he has started all 3 games right? Shocking stuff

You yourself said we were in a title race just before the game last night! Now you're saying anyone who thought we were in a title race before last night needs their head examined. Do you need your head examined?

I still think taking Henderson off first was the right call 'though I agree with your views on Milner.

The thing is I'd probably play James with his honest engine ahead of Trent at RB atm!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

I've copied the 2 posts I put up before the match last night ( one was a reply to you), plus my post you are replying to, I re-read them again just to refresh myself and in none of them did I say anyone needs their head examined, I said people weren't paying attention, completely different. I also said we needed to win last night to get our title challenge going, we didn't so I think our title challenge is already in tatters, that's just my opinion no need to get so uppity about. To answer your question I don't need my head examined, also I'd invite you to read my posts again as I think you took a completely different meaning from it than I intended

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭chicorytip

I think Milner is a much better footballer than Henderson - even still at thirty-five. Hendo was a Dalglish signing and like a lot of Dalglish signings appeared not to have been properly scouted beforehand. He's just never seemed like a typical Liverpool midfield player. I suppose he owes his longevity in the team to his ability to adapt to Klopp's style rather than outstanding ability or technique, qualities he clearly never possessed.

Fabinho, Oxlade, Keita and Thiago are all vastly superior players to Milner and Henderson of course but I think Klopp trusts them less and believes they bring less intensity into the overall team performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,038 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Think last season has shown us that there's no point writing anything off after 3 games. It's a sliding scale, not a definite yay or nay. Our title ambitions are a little dented after last night, but no more than that. Think we need to wait at least 10 games so actually get a sense of how things are looking (and even then, i'd never write us off if we're within 10 points).

Things can go a bit pear shaped very quickly - but as we've seen in the past from this team, things can click back into gear just as quickly.

• Advertisement

Well if a win last night meant our title challenge was on then by definition we were in a title race before last night. Ok I may be confusing you with someone else as I thought you had referred to anyone thinking we were in a title race as "nuts". I'm merely calling out this notion that 1 game can mean a title race is on or off, especially at the start of the season. It is far from ideal and while I may agree that we may not be in a title race this season all this calling it on or off after each individual game is madness. The truth is that you never really know if you are in a title race till much later on in the season than 3 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

I know there's been a lot of posts in the last day, so easy to see how you could get mixed up, so no harm done, as I said my opinion isn't based on one game, it's on our form over the first 3 games, we dropped 22 points last season, we've already dropped 7 after 3 games plus going on form likely to drop more in the next few games, that will make it near impossible to mount a serious challenge to City who are likely to hit 90 points, that's just my opinion, could be completely wrong, hope I am. Next time you reply just make sure you reply to the correct post. Thanks for the apology btw!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

If you watch the palace goal back to be fair to fab he takes an almighty swipe against the palace lad but he rode it. Now you can say you have to take him out if you do it but I'm just saying he did have the smarts to do it. Yer man did well to ride it.

Genuine question but is Calvin Ramsey ok,

No word on his injury or even any pictures of him about Melwood or Anfield,

Hope the lads just got the head down and working on getting fit

In relation to Rashfords goal yesterday, while it looked offside, and last year it would have been, the new tolerance allowed this year which meant the goal stood, would have benefit Liverpool the most last year. Considering how our strikers play on the shoulder of the last defender, it probably will benefit us more than most.

The stand out point though, in two games last year it would have resulted in wins instead of draws, and another PL title.

https://news.google.com/articles/CBMiTGh0dHBzOi8vd3d3LmJhbGxzLmllL2Zvb3RiYWxsL21hcmN1cy1yYXNoZm9yZHMtZ29hbC1tYW5jaGVzdGVyLXVuaXRlZC01MjE2NDTSAVBodHRwczovL3d3dy5iYWxscy5pZS9hbXAvZm9vdGJhbGwvbWFyY3VzLXJhc2hmb3Jkcy1nb2FsLW1hbmNoZXN0ZXItdW5pdGVkLTUyMTY0NA?hl=en-IE&gl=IE&ceid=IE%3Aen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,103 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Djibri Cisse's son is part of the Wales u16 squad tonight.

There's actually also a few ex professional footballer's kids playing for the Liverpool academy this year too - Bobby Clark ( Lee Clark), Jayden Danns ( Neil Danns), Lewis Koumas ( Jason Koumas) & Keyrol Figueroa ( Maynor Figueroa ).

You gotta love Djabril, he is a character, Prince is a great first name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,659 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

That's referring to the 20/21 season, not last season, is it not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

The whole age thing is a bit of nonsense really

Fba, Konate, Jota, Nunez, Keita all in there 20's could have started because they are injured,

Salah , VVD, Thaigo age has not effected them

Hendo ,Milner, Firmino are our only players that age is a concern with right now & two of them are probably 3rd choice in there positions

Imagine that game Monday & United had Maguire (Matip) , Martinez (Konate) , McTommiay (keita) ,Bruno (Thaigo) , Martial (Nunez) ,Rashford (Jota) all injured & Eriksen (Fab) not fit to start

Along with 4 more from the bench unavailable , Ox,Jones,Ramsey,Kellher,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

The age thing is one thing, its the level these guys have had to endure to stay competitive over the last few years.

Very hard to sustain, specially when hitting the other side of 30..

Its also a lot of players to replace in around similar age. I think we will have a bumpy start to the season but will be much stronger after the first couple of months.

I do like your positivity though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

He arrived injured with something the medical team did not pick up on, I remember Klopp saying he needed to get that sorted before he starts...

Never expanded on what the issue was though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Personally I think the CL final has had an effect on them...

• Advertisement

It seems very odd that was mid June & its now the end of August and he is still not even training ,

How could you miss that ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

For all the praise Liverpool get for squad building and the success of their transfer policy some questions needs to be asked how they managed to leave themselves with a midfield consisting of ageing injury prone players and kids. With very little in between. We have practically no players there who are in their mid 20's. Keita at 27 is the closest but is maybe the biggest sick note of the lot. Fabinho at 28 is probably the only one who contributes regularly. Very few players in the engine room who are close to their physical peak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,103 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Yeah agreed. The succession planning in the midfield had been pretty poor and the midfield now mostly consists of players at both ends of their careers. Elliott, Carvalho & Jones are all between 19-21 and even then it remains to be seen if they are midfielders/of the quality needed. There was higher hopes for Ox & Keita when they were signed but their bodies just can't keep fit which had thrown those plans out. If Keita stayed fit, I'm sure he would be getting a run of games now and we might not even be having this conversation in the same panicy tone.

To be fair, the succession planning in the attack and defence is going pretty well, on paper at the least. The plan is in place at CB with Konate, RB with Bradley and then Diaz/Nunez/Jota in attack. Possibly even Gordon too.

It's clear that the club wanted Tchouhameni this summer. 22. Perfect age to be brought into the league and ready to really explode at 23/24 for a few years. His energy would inject now life and legs into the midfield. They really need a midfielder of this profile this summer, and again next summer. Realistically we are only getting 2 more years of Thiago & maybe 3 of Hendo if he moves to the squad player role in time. Fabinho not long more than that.

Maddock is reporting BVB are interested in Naby.

His injury just a day before he was due to play at Old Trafford highlights the problem completely. Klopp can’t rely on him. Dortmund are interested, and any money received could be used to find a replacement.  Moises Caceido at Brighton is one possible solution. He fits the profile in terms of age and numbers…a player of incredible promise who is now a Premier League regular in a fine team at the age of 20.

But guess what, Brighton know all that. They know what that promise could add up to, and he’s contracted until 2025. So the chance of signing him now is remote. Or zero. Take your pick depending on your optimism.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭WealthyB

When Gini Wijnaldum didn't renew his contract, I argued on Twitter at the time that we didn't just lose one midfielder, we effectively lost two. Such was his reliability and his ever-available status; he played every single league game in his final season at LFC. So we went into last year already short in midfield, which was no more evident IMO than when Tyler Morton had to be drafted in against Spurs out of pure desperation.

And here we are now, 2 seasons later, and not only has the considerable hole left by Gini Wijnaldum not been filled, but Milner and Henderson's regression (which was so easy to predict; time waits for no man) has further exacerbated the issue, and we already knew Thiago & Keita were worth no more than 20 league games a season.

I don't think the club has any choice now but to get the chequebook out; but you do get the feeling any transfer kitty evaporated with Salah's new contract - not that it ever should be an either/or scenario, but it always does seem that way with LFC of recent years.

If that is the case, then it's the same old story for the last 5 or 6 years; always plugging a gap in the squad 2 seasons too late, just as another gap emerges somewhere else. It's like we never learn.

its very frustrating. We only have Klopp & the majority of the squad for only a few remaining years, If we had of pushed the boat out just little we'd have multiple Premier leagues and Champions league in this era ,

it could be looked back at as a what if time in our history

Caicedo is the name I see linked alot lately, Brighton would kill us on the price though even if they agreed to sell. I'd prefer someone more experienced but definitely the right type of player we need.

If teams bend us over the barrel on price then it's our own fault so couldn't really care less once it makes us competitive again.

We would of won a 2nd league in 20/21 if the investment was made in CB when needed, we didn't, the season collapsed as we had no centre backs although the VVD injury was desperately unlucky. We were 7 points ahead of City at the turn of the year then, city finished on 86 points so were below par and cruised to another league without any challenge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Intrigued to know what Dortmund believe they can do to prevent him being injured every other week. Perhaps the Bundesliga won't be as demanding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Think he has 3or4 years left on his contract and is only 20... Brighton would look for 75m plus and that's not going to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,202 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Home to Derby in League Cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Above was taken from Reddit and looks to be direct from Transfermarket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Found this thread on twitter and makes interesting reading

Twitter thread here.

To no surprise, the owners have been leaning heavily on Klopp's brilliance as a manager (and perhaps his reluctance to panic buy) but I suspect once the stadium is done there should be a lot more to spend. We could see a very different transfer policy then. Might be a bit too late by then though...

• Advertisement

Klopp has signed 101 players.

I didn’t think he signed that many or am I miss reading that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Lies, damned lies and statistics. If they are using Transfermarkt then someone coming in from the Academy would count as a new signing. Or someone who was on loan and returned would count as a new signing. I see much like we were all experts in linguistics with the Suarez and Evra ordeal, we are now all experts on finances and where we spend our money as well, according to the twitter threads linked. I prefer to stick to Swiss Ramble for any financial discussions about a clubs accounts. Here are a couple of their threads involving us,

This is from 2020 and leads up to us building a great squad.

This is our latest results I believe. And here is an interesting thread comparing us with United that was done just a few days ago,

I think they are better to get a fair view of our finances, not fans who may have an agenda. This includes both sides, both the pro-FSG and anti-FSG as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

UCL group stage draw tomorrow at 5pm our time, we’re in pot 2 this year.

Won’t go through all the permutations but here’s the best and worst case scenarios from what I can tell:

Bayern, Liverpool, Inter Milan/Napoli, Rangers (yes, really, pot 4 is pretty rubbish)

Eintracht Frankfurt, Liverpool, RB Salzburg, Bodo Glimt

It’s obviously a matter of opinion though, but there’s very little to worry about outside of pot 1 this year, Inter or Napoli are the only real threats and if we draw AC Milan then we’ll automatically avoid both of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

In 2018, when Leon Goretzka decided to move to Bayern Munich instead of Liverpool, the club immediately moved for Fabinho - it was seamless. Last summer, after Klopp failed to convince Florian Neuhaus (24) to leave Borussia Monchengladbach no alternative was targeted as far as we are aware. This summer there was no move for an alternative to Tchouameni. The change in approach is our undoing.

I don't think it's the case that money hasn't been available, those responsible for recruitment are only interested in signing what is considered the right player and that is ultimately under the control of Klopp. He has repeatedly demonstrated that he is willing to do without a player for a position if a player he wants to work with isn't available. Edwards and the analytics team having to convince him to sanction a transfer for Salah rather than wait another year in the hope that Julian Brandt would be willing to move after the 2018 World Cup is the best example of this.

We don't require three world beaters in midfield but Klopp's "You tell me who's available that is better than who we have" when questioned about replacing Wijnaldum suggests that it's only a very high calibre player that he is looking for. I personally wonder if there is a unwillingness amongst the staff to push Klopp to sign a player that doesn't quite measure up but could fill in and do a job.

The team is suffering because we lack energy and intensity in midfield at present and that makes us easy to play against. It has been highlighted on Twitter how similar three of the goals the team have conceded have been.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

I think this is it.

When we're attacking it's like we have a 2-5-3 formation with the CB's covering the space for any quick counter except the CB's don't seem to have the legs anymore to do this.

They can't even get close enough to give away a foul to break the attack. Except in the penalty box! 🙈

• Advertisement
Advertisement