Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours/Champions League Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Id say their left winger is licking his lips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

13 Mins in and with practically a full team out and we have barely strung 3 passes together gainst league one opposition. Our Midfield under SG is just totally pathetic. Going to be a long season...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

We've got our Villa back at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,352 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

1-0 Bolton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Watkins misses a 1v1 as he tries to round the keeper, 3 mins later Bolton make a mockery of our defence and score.

Coutinho is playing more centrally than left.

Villa look like the league one team here not Bolton.

1-1 Luiz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Ha, that's a rare one.

1-1

Straight from a corner, lol.

Luiz with a fluke goal, direct from a corner.

Zero positives to take from the first half.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

xG of 0.17 and 50% possession against league 1 opposition.

• Advertisement

Kamara with a lot of silly fouls.

McGinn's been terribly.

Ings hits the post, should of scored, good pass from Watkins.

Started the second half better.

2-1 villa, Ings wins a peno and converts, nice pass from Coutinho.

Edit 3-1 Digne

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

There’s no scenario where McGinn can start on Sunday, and yet he almost definitely is.

Dunno have you been watching tonight, he's been absolutely dreadful against league 1 opposition, given the ball away time after time.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Dr. Greenthumb

I'm only following on an app, has he not made any subs yet? Why keep Archer and Iroegbunam in the squad if their not even getting a run out against League 1 opposition?

His back is against the wall and now it's affecting opportunities for the youngsters. I was excited to see how these two play today.

He's made 5 subs.

Bailey, Buendia, Ramsey, Archer and Iroegbunam.

Bailey with a lovely goal, real class.

Archer should of scored.

McGinn then misses a 1 on 1.

Both came on towards the end. Archer looked lively. Carved out a chance for himself and should of scored.

• Advertisement

Better second half but Gerrard is still sitting on a pretty hot seat for me.

Away to Man Utd in next round of the league cup.

Before the result they had Vs Liverpool, I'd of said bring it on.

With cup competitions, we always seem to get a rough draw.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

The links to Bednarek definitely seem to be the strongest of those out there atm

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

If links are to be believed it’s him and Abdou Diallo(from PSG) the club have put the most leg work into being the Carlos replacement. Think I know which you guys would be leaning towards.

weirdly the bednarak offer does seem to be a loan. it'd suit Villa and as I suggested before might simply be a Hause replacement not a Carlos one but it's odd given he has played a part in most of Southampton's games so far so you would think they would want a fee if they were to let him leave especially to another Premiership team.

PSV linked to El Ghazi

Villa dropping the price for Guilbert to just a few million to entice a few interested french clubs before the deadline

Sky Sports said Villa are interested in Ivan Toney briefly during their roundup but I think there is nothing in it.

Post edited by Bounty Hunter on

It feels like every game is huge for Gerrard now. Lose on Sunday, and we then have Arsenal and Man City.

• Advertisement

Gerrard said in his press conference today that we’re not close with any signings.

To be honest, I don’t know how enthusiastic I’d be about giving him any major funds given that he’s very likely about 3 games from the sack.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

After all our optimism and talk of Europe it’s crazy how things have got so depressing so early in the season. As it stands the best we can hope for is avoiding a relegation battle and mid table obscurity.

Haven't read it or heard SGs comments, but based on that, I'd wonder are the owners reluctant to give him more cash to spend, because they are unconvinced he's the right man going forwards?

Net spend has been very low this summer. Don't think the club would of expected the £20m from the Carney sale.

Can't say I blame the owners if that's their line of thinking.

American owners don't spend their own money.

His tactical setup doesn’t help to be fair. You spend alot of money on someone now that suits his system (with the CMs almost like fullbacks) and he gets sacked 3 games later, what other manager is going to come in and play that system? At least with Smith leaving, his 4-3-3/4-5-1 type system is what most people play anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭rebelomar

It's the lack of visible progress on the pitch is the cause of most of the doom and gloom. I thought at times last season you could visibly see what we were trying to achieve tactically.

This season our play has been majorly lacking in conviction. The second half vs L1 Bolton was an improvement but surely the bare minimum expected.

His handling of the Mings situation was bizarre. The very public cryptic statements just caused confusion. I'd imagine other players close to Mings didn't like that either. Now he's back in the team...probably the first choice CB and his captain McGinn should be under pressure for his place imo.

The Sarr transfer sage was infuriating. It either shows a split behind the scenes on the transfer strategy or very bad organisation. I find it very hard to believe these days a club wouldn't know a players wage demands / attitude before they made an official bid.

I saw a stat that shows the flaws in Gerrards system very well.

In the last 5 PL games where we have taken the lead, we have lost 3 of them and drawn a 4th. The game we won was by the skin of our teeth as well.

This shows that our defensive shape is terrible with advanced full backs our only option to put pressure on the opposition, and leaving us wide open when teams come at us.

Is he trying to play like Klopp but doesn't know how?

Cash isn't TAA and never will be.

If the full backs pushed on half as much, or took turns going forward, we would immediately be more solid.

Then if we played Luiz with Kamara we'd add more solidity, it's kinda basic stuff.

If a team is struggling, then tightening up is the obvious move.

I would actually play with two pivots:

4 2 3 1 type

Kamara and Luiz/Nakamba holding, protecting the back four.

Watkins for away games, Ings plays at home.

Bailey, Buendia, Coutinho as three, McGinn to come on as sub and replace either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

Against Everton and Bolton first half we were far too passive and just knocked the ball around midfield until Buendia came on there was a real lack of energy or any urgency it almost takes for us to go a goal down before we react. And how many times have we scored only to concede minutes later.

We we’re easily beaten at home by West Ham last season another defeat and I think the crowd will start turning.

This is a huge game in our season. Win and we go to 7th with two very tough games to follow.

Lose and we will be down among the relegation places 16th but with Arsenal and Man City to come next.

The physicality of West Ham and their threat from set pieces concerns me. Would hope our set pieces coach has done his research and preparation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭remoteboy

Even with the form West Ham are in I don’t fancy our chances. That said, here’s what I’d like to see today -

Buendia has to start.

Chambers for Konsa.

Tactic tweak that sees 1 full back staying if the other goes.

Watkins up top on his own.

Luis for McGinn.

I'm not on social media but Baileys manager/agent Craig Butler has gone on a bit of a rant yesterday about Leon being a winger and Gerrard not playing with wingers. He said that if we're not going to play him, then sell him to a club who will play him.

He's always come across as a bit of a dick. However, I'd say that Bailey must have been told that he's not playing today to trigger the outburst.

After Sanson on the first week, and the Mings captaincy debacle, the unease seems to be growing within the camp.

Mings out. Ramsey replaced by Luiz is positive. Bailey, Buendia on bench. No CB on bench.

Is Mings injured? This would really increase our need for another top CB

Letting Hause out on loan without any replacement was not the best decision we've made recently but in keeping with our current modus operandi.

Grim enough.

• Advertisement

West Ham score.

Luiz off and Ramsey on would make you question your sanity. We finally had a bit of solidity in midfield and he takes it away.

McGinn is playing the worst football since he joined Villa, never in a million years should he have the captaincy, he's made his contribution to Villa but he should be getting upgraded.

Advertisement