Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek: Picard - Amazon Prime [** POSSIBLE SPOILERS **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,608 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Depends which season of Picard. Season 2 was one of the worst show I have ever sat through. It just made no sense from start to finish.

I think it was the worst season of Trek ever.

Still looking forward to the next season more than Disco though but that's just for the memberberries.

I

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭Rawr

Picard Season 2 kind of puts a strain on the phrase "Mixed Bag" in my head. The first part of that season showed a tremendous amount of promise with a proper space adventure setup and an interesting "Evil Federation" villain for them to go up against.

But then....bleh.....they went and dropped the ball, played for time in budget-friendly 2024, teased us with Picard's dramatic reveal for way too long...setup and then fail deliver on a Borg Queen in LA.......and then car-crash everyone over to an ending that really didn't do the job. Oh...and let's give Wheaton that stupid cameo he's been probably whinging about ever since they got him to do that After Show thing.

If only there was an option to get them to delete everything after Episode 2/3 and then try again...but this time actually plan what you are doing.

I just can't get my head round any of it. The Borg queen and the top scientist being reduced to 2 crazy cat ladies. Dropping Soji only to have the same actor play someone else and same goes for Laris. Rios pointless story, 7 having some sort of revelation about how she is beautiful despite the whole of Voyager wanting to bang her.

Why was Q dying, that could have been an amazing story all of its own but it was just a plot point.

We got 1 episode on a Starship and it was the best live episode outside of SNW. It's almost like Trek fans just want Starfleet crews on Starfleet ships.

Oh and we got Giaus Baltar for a few mins which was fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭FGR

I posted a rant on the finale thread - but tl;dr I'm of the opinion that the 25th century bits were fantastic and I wish they'd stay on a starfleet ship doing star trek things in that post nemesis era, Jurati has always been a liability and too much plot armour a la seven and raffi running from the chateau to the ship with a load of borg special forces shooting at them yet arriving on the ship without a problem and too much Soong.

Why can't we have SNW post Nem? Why are they so stubborn? Most prequel stories will work in the post era too. Doesn't have to have cameos, give us a new crew.

Having seen SNW now, I'd love something of that vein post Nemesis. Right now the best post-Nemesis thing we've got is Lower Decks but we also could do with a live action (especially if LD also lives in this bizarre canon-limbo that TAS inhabited).

My hope is that SNW was an indication that these people can finally learn how to make Trek (or they've learned how to hire enough people who know how to make Trek). So if they could actually bring us a SNW-esque Trek-show, post-Picard....I'd be happy. Make it fun, make it Trek. No need for Klingons, Vulkans or Ships Named Enterprise...just make it good TV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,394 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Well with the Live Action Crossover between SNW and LD we may get to see some pretty post Nemesis scenes?

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭Evade

Was it confirmed to be live action or will it be a Who Framed Roger Rabbit situation?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Was understanding was that the Lower Decks actors would be playing live versions of their characters, but now I'm not sure if that's my presumption or if I read it around the time of the announcement.

No mention about how it would be done.

LD keeps the TAS look for pictures of Kirk so I would be hoping that everyone is kept to their proper look.

I'm sure I read it was this.

May have to do some digging!

All Eyes On Rafah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,017 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Maybe it'll be some kind of hallucination so the crew sees these strange 2D characters, who claim to be from the future.

So the teased returning character has allegedly been let slip at a convention and it's

Tashi Yar

Gotta wonder how that'll work.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Hahaha oh god. Well why not; anything is on the table with this freewheeling lunatic of a TV show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Wouldn't put it past them to have seen her return in Yesterdays Enterprise and not having watched to the end

Well...as far as we know, Seela might have only ever been told that her mother was executed. Maybe she got away or something else happened.

Those duplicitous Romulans. Maybe the third in the marriage saved her because that's definitely a thing and not just Chabon's bad fanfiction.

Been revealed that Walter Koenig will be in season 3 episode ond of Picard.

Apparently, if the story is to be believed. He will do some voice-over playing a descendent of Chekov.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 17,449 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Full on charm offensive - sorry but you lost that after the first season

Jesus the desperation coming off this show is like BO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭FGR

No doubt Stewart will insist on Picard giving them a big ole hug which has always been the primary trait of Picard's character prior to Season 1.

Ugh..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭McFly85

It really shouldn’t be that difficult, but 90s/00s trek did a remarkable job of removing all of the major enemies of the federation in the galaxy. The Borg, The Dominion and the Romulans all gone(and the Romulan empire essentially destroyed off-screen too😡)

Not only that, but there was a lot of nonsense about timeships and temporal wars and prime directives that Voyager established about the future of the federation too(I reckon this could be safely ignored without annoying anyone though).

A new ship that was either on a deep space mission to explore the gamma quadrant or that was part of a federation relief effort with the Romulans would have been far better than the nonsense we got with Picard, which repeatedly brought him out of 24th century issues/starfleet purely so the writers didn’t have to bother with continuity. If nothing else, I’m interested to see the premise of s3 purely because there’s so many of the old cast in it it would be really difficult to make it without heavily referencing TNG(but of course, not impossible)

Post edited by McFly85 on

It's no that hard to make a new enemy faction. Cardassians popped up out of nowhere in TNG, as a set up for DS9, and they slotted into existing continuity pretty easily. If you need to make a so far unseen expansionist power quickly a primitive, from Star Trek's point of view, society cracking Iconian technology and jumping ahead a few hundred steps in technological progression is possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,052 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Not as straightforward as you might think. The BBC have a lot of legal discussions and wrangling every year with the estate of Terry Nation over the use of Doctor Who's most famous enemies The Daleks.

But that's an existing idea this would be a new race albeit with Iconian derived technology. And if for some reason Iconians are subject to royalties they could always pull a Tom Paris.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

There is scope to tie up some loose ends as mentioned in spoilers above (Which, if correct, will be IMMEDIATELY shown in the earliest teaser). It would be an interesting loose end to investigate and would fit in well. Personally I think it's very likely...... Which is unfortunate as it will start off handling it in an interesting way. Then they will bring in Brent Spiner as yet another character. Let's saaaaaay.... he takes control of the ship as Hans Gruber Noonian Soong. Descendant/ancestor of River Song/Soong. And as for Walter Koeing.... Oh God. Well, I suppose they had Scotty and McCoy in TNG. Can't remember who was in Generations along with Kirk and Scotty. Unfortunately Michols has passed. So yeah. He was due.

So, yeah, that spoiler tag does sound about right. But unfortunately I have no faith that they can do it justice

SNW did a fairly good job with the Gorn. I'd like to see the Tholians fleshed out more. So much more can be done with them. Same with the Breen.

Maybe even a return of the Organians.

All Eyes On Rafah

The Breen would be good from a cost point of view too; no worry about makeup, just a good costume and modernisation of it. Lots of untapped canon.

Breen completely surrounded in mystery. What do they look like, there homeworld is apparently quite hospitable so, why the suits?

All Eyes On Rafah

Ask Garak, he's been there and remember "it's all true... especially the lies."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,907 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

No need for makeup with the Tholians either just some good CGI so probably more costly than the Breen to do. Personally I think it was a pity that it was not the Tholians instead of the Gorn that was used in SNW.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Advertisement