Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar PV Hints, Tips & Troubleshooting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

Yep. Feed in priority. Can’t seem to get it back to self use though

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Did you set up a discharge period? If you did, go and change it back to 00:00-00:00.

May have done but can’t find my way back there. Shouldn’t have started messing with this!

Got it! Not terribly sure how but seems ok now. Thanks Jonathon & Connesha 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭championc

But realistically, you shouldn't charge the battery from the grid until the clocks fall back

• Advertisement

Not everyone in the house is onboard with the new electricity schedule…yet!

Am I correct in assuming that when the battery is full , likewise when an eddi boost has hit the desired temperature, that charging cuts out?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

When the battery is full it stops charging. When the eddi hits max temp, it stops diverting. Any excess beyond that goes out to your neighbours and you get FIT against it (eventually).

But, if you schedule a charge from Midnight till 09:00, although a battery may be full by 01:00, it will not Discharge until the end of the schedule and will run the house off the grid the whole duration.

If you every want to stop discharging but don't Charge either, charge with Zero watts to 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭hick

Anyones Solis app down currently? I’ve had no reading in 10 hours but the device itself is fine

• Registered Users Posts: 6,352 ✭✭✭con747

Both Solis Cloud and Solis Home working fine all day for me.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭hick

Thanks for that! Got home a short while ago, was still the same today, so eventually unplugged the data logger stick and put it back and 10 mins later back in action. 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭kieran26

I seem to be having an issue with the solis 6kw hybrid inverter. Its showing up as a DSP-B fault. Its says its only generating . 075kw but the sun is out. I tried resetting a few times and disconnecting the data logging stick but it doesn't seem to have done anything. Does anyone have any ideas? It was only installed wednesday and was working fine until this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,352 ✭✭✭con747

Solis say to restart the inverter, after that contact the installer since it was just installed.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Energy1

Hi everyone,

I am hoping to build my house early next year, I intend to install a large PV system about 8.8kW. Can someone assist with the following questions I have as I am a newbie;

1. Is 6kW the largest inverter I can get in ROI?
    2. Is the above the best option based on an A2 rated house in terms of usage and system size? I went larger system for a higher yield in winter as opposed to annual usage.
    3. If I have A2W does an Eddi spill excess into this tank or just the tank for hot water? Or is an A2W system just a large tank for both. (Sorry not familiar with A2W)
    4. Is an AC or DC battery best for a new build or whats the best to go for? I am looking for a good quality and aesthetically pleasing battery, has anyone used the Puredrive ones?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

You best bet is to have a look at the FAQ thread.

Interested in Solar PV? Read this FAQ first. — boards.ie - Now Ye're Talkin'

It will give you a good grounding, a place to work from as you gain knowledge. I'll answer your questions, but the answers may not make sense to you without the background info.

1. Yes, 6Kw is the largest single phase inverter available in Ireland. If you want larger, you have to have 3x phase in your house.
    2. The size of the inverter has nothing directly to do with the BER rating (A2, C3, etc). Ultimately the size of your inverter and number of panels are down to your consumption. For example, you could have an A1 rated house, but if you have 4 teenagers having showers your going to use a lot more electricity than someone living alone in another A1 house.
    3. A2W is a heat pump, and nothing to do as such with a solar installation. Sure, the heatpump will use electricity and some of that can be supplied by solar, but Eddi just takes the excess solar and heats water. Again, read the FAQ, this and other stuff is explained.
    4. All batteries are DC. that's just the physics of the game. It gets a little confusing with AC and DC coupled batteries, but ultimately batteries are there to do what you want them to. Store energy and give that energy back. Sure, you might have one which is 1-2% more efficient than another, but ultimately it doesn't really matter too much. As for an aesthetically pleasing battery, these are often placed in the attic. You could have a lump of cement, and it wouldn't be visible up there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

On 1. above, you can have a higher rated inverter or two inverters combining to more than 6kW, you just need to complete different ESB forms, NC7 from memory but others may know better.

3. EDDI needs a resistive element

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭samdeluxjones

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭randombar

Hi Guys,

Looking for some advice here. Mounting 6 or 7 more panels on a polycarbonate leanto roof I have, I'd like to have the panels raised enough so I can get in underneath to wash the poly.

Do I need to look for special raised brackets or anything? Just want to get in to wash the green away when it appears.

Thanks.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Stumbled upon some interesting information on ESBN's website earlier.

A Network Demand/Generation Capacity map for the 38kV/MV/LV network. It is intended for those looking to add additional Demand/Generation to the network to see if transformer/substation upgrades are required. However, it is also useful for micro-generators too to see details of your local transformer and its capacity.

A later version of the Special Load Readings report (which above map is based on), is available here:

https://www.esbnetworks.ie/docs/default-source/publications/38kv-110kv-station-special-load-readings.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭silver_sky

Just spoke to Solis and they said it's a feature on the newer firmware. The battery manufacturers asked them to stop trickle charging the last few percentages constantly throughout the day and also to not leave the battery sitting at 100%. It now has a very slight discharge and will only recharge if it falls below 95% SOC. They say this is for the battery health, so just something I have to live with.

On the import and export overnight they made an adjustment to some factors KP & KI I think? Will see how that goes over the next few days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Bif

Hi all. Looking for opinions/advice. I have a 6kwh inverter a with 6.9kwp array (20 panels) with room for up to 6 more, (maybe 8?) .345kwp panels. All would be practically due South. Would it be worth adding them for the extra output, particularly from October to March? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

best bet is to plug in your data before and after into....

https://re.jrc.ec.europa.eu/pvg_tools/en/#PVP%20that's%20the%20calculator%20for%20Europe

Compare the two to see if what difference the extra panels will make.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

You will also need to check the voltage of the panels as you cannot exceed the inverter voltage maximum

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

I had this issue with Solis/Puredrive. I have these Alarms in the app:

My installer raised it with Solis and I didn't hear anything until a couple of weeks ago I had a call from Puredrive. They sent a couple of lads over to update firmware on batteries. It's been about 10 days now and no more alarms.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Bif

Good point. Must check. Solis inverter and JA panels.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,311 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

How hard is it to add panels to an existing setup? From a DIY point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Gerry

rent a scaffold tower, brave the roof I guess. I'm thinking 4 more panels on each side of the roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,311 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Actually I know a scaffolder. Might come in handy.

So how do the panels connect? Do they daisy chain to the others?

• Advertisement

Advertisement