Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,937 ✭✭✭hometruths

Well I guess SF could just use the stick then if landlords are not going to go for the carrot. Point is there are plenty of options for them to reverse the exponential growth of public money distorting the market if they wish to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

You said, 'The shop assistant would probably loose his/her job in your scenario'

In order for that probability to be true, more than the majority of shop assistants need to lose their jobs.

The constitution is our state. You don't like it, you can try and change it. Whatever. As I said, a downturn COULD benefit many. I'm not promoting a downturn as a solution. However, for those who wish to burn it down, a downturn COULD be very helpful and this is the antithesis to your thesis. Maybe there's a synthesis somewhere.

Who cares, back to waiting for the dream home to appear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

The friend said that the guy was Irish not Chinese. Mid to higher end properties in Dublin, 650k plus.

Who knows, probably bull. The only reason I'd give any credence to it is because Chinese folk don't invest in stocks but in property. And their domestic property industry is looking at very bleak times ahead. It's hardly unheard of for pension/investment funds to buy up single family homes. It has been happening all over the shop in the US for the past few years due to the halt in construction during COVID etc.

As it is we kick the bankruptcy down the road for the next generation. Pain now or pain later.

A restructuring in favourable conditions is probably better than a forced restructuring and fairer to those who were not even adults when the profligate public sector and lax regulations sunk us into penury.

This is off topic. Two points made and people can decide.

As I said, my list is in a response to awec and others that state a recession cannot benefit the lower 2/3 socio economic group. As stated, Iceland did okay by taking pain upfront in the GFC so there is precedent and plenty more if you want to look.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭jimmybobbyschweiz

The rental bubble will pop as the big tech bubble has already popped and the fallout is starting already. This is a significant risk factor to our economic growth model in Ireland and unless we have something to replace the activity of these tech companies, we will see a big drop in the economy which will impact the rental market. How will it impact the rental market is from two main areas; the first is of course the workers themselves. As hiring freezes and job cuts materialise then demand for rentals takes a hit. The second area impacted is of course the Exchequer which receives corporate and other taxes from the activities of these big tech companies. This will trickle into a need to cut public spending which will particularly impact social or State sponsored housing with the (to be honest, criminal) waste of public money thrown at the rental market the last decade - dead money and people will be scratching their heads wondering where all our prosperity went when the whole thing collapses. Ukranian refugees and the like won't be paying the rents needed to live in this country so to equate bodies on the ground with demand for rentals is woefully inaccurate as a lot of the bodies on the ground (half of all tenancies in fact) are getting State support - that is not a sustainable state of affairs.

On the rate rises point, when the peak of the market was hit just before COVID, in 2018/19, that was four years ago already - a lot of those 3-5 year mortgages would be coming to an end of the fixed period and they will hopefully be fixing again because some analysts reckon the interest rate rise train has a few more stops to make. Wage rises are lagging inflation but the wage rises are starting to come through now which will feed into even more inflation in a few months and therefore more of a need to raise rates to cool the economy. I think the consensus is generally that 2023 will still see rate rises and 2024 will see rate cuts again and QE. That will be the "soft landing" engineering but it would still see a softening of house prices here as those not fixing their mortgages and those buying new properties will be hit with a few hundred euro extra interest rate payments per month, which of course with the rental market hit to demand, will soften the whole Irish property market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Timing belt

the tech companies are going nowhere as they make big savings by being located in Ireland. A slow down in them expanding and recruiting is very different to them shutting up shop and making everyone redundant. Despite this slow down in recruiting in tech we have 100’s of thousands coming to work in the country as labour shortages exist in a wide range of companies. The wage inflation will result in house prices increasing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,470 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

What makes you so sure bankruptcy is a certainty “down the road”? And how will years of IMF control of spending, austerity and higher taxes help people buy a home?

I don’t think all the people that were forced to migrate after the GFC or the people that were severely impacted (and there was a hell of a lot of people)would agree with you. As you said before your recession was after 2000 when tech took a bit of a hammering but the rest of the country was booming so you’re idea of a recession may not be the same as the majority

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Since you want to know about what happens to shop assistants in a recession I tell you.

The builders providers, the hardware shops , paint shops start to lay them off. Those that remain are put on 40 hour weeks with no overtime. Some are put on three days weeks and claim the dole.

However a lot of those that work as shop assistants are in the retail sector. Most are college students. At present all of these earn at least the minimum wage and many are getting 1-2 euro more per hour. In the service sector they will earn another1-2 euro/ hour from tips

What happens in a recession is this. Most of these college students are on zero hour contracts as demand reduces the employers cut these students hours. As well any new employee are bought in at the statutory minimum wage for there age which is lower for 17-19 year old. When these get trained they are given more hours than 20+year old staff as there pay is less.

In the last recession there was a training rate that was abused. When you started with a employer they could put you on a training rate for six months. They then gave you very little hours after the six month or let you go before you had any employment rights and you went on to be trained again and again by different retailers.

Then you will have the shorter shifts. Because of virtually no unemployment, the retailers are giving staff a minimum of 5-6 hour shifts. My daughter had a part time job in coming up to Christmas 2014, the hourly rate was about 6/,hour ( the famous training rate) but was only getting 4-5 hour shifts. one day she got an eight hour shift but after 4 hours the manager wanted her to go home early as they had too many staff in

Next in the service sector the tips dry up. The number of hours continually drop from where you as a student had 30+/week to where you may be lucky to have 20 or even less at quite times during the year.

Some stores had a trick the last time, managers would have an idea of what day you were in college, they used to schedule you hours during these day so you would have to give up the job so they could hire cheaper staff.

This doubly effects the economy. Students usually spend virtually every bob they earn. Now as they earn less they have less to spend. This reduces demand in the same areas that employ them. Now there parents may have to subsidize there accommodation, trave and food more. This give them less spending power.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

And how would austerity help the Government/private sector to build new homes? How would people afford them if they are taxed more/lose their jobs?

Seriously, this is cringy stuff.

True but again, the thesis is that the bottom 2/3 will not benefit.

300k leaving represents less than 6% of the population which is not close to the bottom 2/3 socio economic group.

I did not say I wanted to know what happened to shop assistants.

Does your anecdote show that the majority lose their jobs? To me it does not.

Interesting reading here -- Recession in the EU: its impact on retail trade 

It lists lots of the things you mention but does not list over 50% of people in retail losing their jobs.

It is indeed cringy or perhaps sad is a better description to see your incapacity to do basic subtraction.

As another example, maybe more intuitive, if ten people want a can of 7up but there are only 9 everyone cannot get a full can. If one leaves then the remaining nine can all have a can.

Here's a useful resource for you.

https://ie.ixl.com/maths/class-2

Again, as I said previously, I am not proposing this as a solution rather pointing to the fact that certain posters may not be wrong in their assertions.

Because a lot of work in retail is carried out on zero hour contracts. Many are student. 20-20% who move on every year as they leave college and move to there new career.

I am not did anyone mention 50% losing there jobs. I never gave a jobless figure of that anyway. However if you think retail workers are not seriously effected in a recession you haven't a f@@king clue about recessions and even less if a clue about economics. I go so far as to say the average two year old would have a better grasp that you do.

Slava Ukrainii

If only life was as simple as your thinking, if there are no new cans, or the nine can’t afford it because they lost their jobs, took pay cuts, pay more tax, banks won’t lend etc after the country goes into bankruptcy, then it doesn’t matter how many cans of 7up there are.

In what alternate universe do you think peoples spending power would be unaffected by the country declaring bankruptcy?

I’m mad at myself for again engaging with you on crap like this. It’s like your posts on house prices and your lack of understanding on the cost of building them, you just spout an idea that comes into your head and won’t consider any of the factors which are associated with it.

I responded to timing belt who said,

'The shop assistant would probably loose his/her job in your scenario'

In order for such a probability to be true over 50% would have to lose their jobs. Sorry to hear of your daughter's struggles during the GFC.

You are coming off a bit mad to me too or antediluvian might be more accurate.

In any case, I agree, please desist your engagements and let's return to property discussion.

For my daughter it was part of her education. She got a job after her first year in college in a betting office which was a great job. She earned from 10 to nearly 14 k in her final college year

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 12,579 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

People who know a lot more than you clearly do not see any risk of Ireland going bankrupt. Its an utterly ludricrous notion

• Advertisement

How does it require 50% to loose their job!!!!

that is something you came up with. The point I was making was that other people are impacted and not just the 300k (another figure you came up with) that would leave Ireland. We didn’t even touch on how much tax this 300k currently contribute and how that short fall would be made up. Your logic shows that you have never been properly impacted by a recession and hopefully for your sake you never will but if it does happen you look back at this and think very differently to your current view.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Eclectic Econometrics

The first place I rented in Ireland (6/7 years ago), after around 2 years a Chinese guy walks in with a couple of estate agents and asks me questions about the place, nice cordial conversation. I must have done a great job pitching the sale as about a month later I get my notice to exit stage left. He bought all the units my landlord had, 5 or 6. Around 2 months later the place is advertised as refurbished, it hadn't even had a lick of paint, and at €3,500 which was a grand more than I was paying.

I would've paid the new rent, had they asked, just to avoid the assache of moving.

This guy was the ultimate buyer and not a representative, I could tell that from the 4k tailored suit and 100k Patek.

I can't tell you the extent but it definitely happens and is not a Kentucky fried mouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

When the imf were here, there was an adult running the show, unfortunately it was handed back to the clowns. For accountability of government it was probably the best of times in our short history

we were the third most indebted in the world per capita after USA and Japan, both of whom have their own currency. This stat may have changed with our population boost.

To me, if national interest rates rise and anything goes wrong with our domestic economy.....

It's possible we can walk the tightrope for a long time avoiding bankruptcy brought about by rising resource costs but either way the legacy of the crash is a huge burden to pass on to our kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭combat14

Mortgage misery as ECB now set for two more hikes by the end of the year

Market experts said rates likely to go up by 1 percentage point, or even 1.25 percentage points

looks like house prices will eventually have to drop if these rate rises continue....

https://m.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/property-mortgages/mortgage-misery-as-ecb-now-set-for-two-more-hikes-by-the-end-of-the-year-41933438.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

Tenants able to stay 4 years without paying rent and wreck your place if your a landlord and paying 51% tax on any income earned as well as property tax.. ehhh how much more stick can you hit them with. They are already fleeing the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

"Mortgage misery"...just shows how everyone wants house prices to go up.

Anyone who got a mortgage before 1 year ago is lucky enough to own a property and also seen their property increase in value by around 16%.

It's basic economics that raising interest rates lower asset prices. The ECB themselves have said this.

Higher rates is good for potential buyers. House prices will drop. Yes, increased rates might mean you're paying a higher rate and in effect the same outgoings per month but your deposit will go further meaning your budget will capture more properties.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

That 16% is only relevant if your selling and not buying other wise its a zero sum game Cant see prices dropping for at least another 5 years. Too much demand, too little supply, more government schemes pushing prices up, new builds stalling over covid supply issues and inflation over the summer months quelling supply, more and more international competition buying a sure bet and longevity of the Irish government giving rental monies for so called marginalized to live beside mumsy in the country where on the globe will you get such a secure return on investment backed by a government no less. More and more people flocking inward to the country due to the high tech/pharma jobs and simply the most attractive welfare rates that money (tax payers money) can buy, and even with rates going up what is the worst that will happen to a home owner?? they cant pay the mortgage and can live in the house without paying the mortgage for 10 years+ in a lot of cases as can be seen after the last crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Of course it's relevant...it means you've saved 16% compared to anyone buying today.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,755 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Only if you have zero rental / current living costs.

Advertisement