Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boy A in the Ana Kriegel case moved to adult prison

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,609 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Pretty much all boils down to the same thing: treat people with respect even if they're different to you.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭I told ya

Apparently it's still there. Now called Mountjoy West, integrated into the main prison now and not a separate entity. Well, that's per Wikipedia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Where is it suggested that teachers dont follow up on things though? These are assumptions you are making. The point is it is actually very hard to prove many of these things due to the teenagers behaviour when they are following up. Often the students involved are friends again when the investigation moves forward - these are just the realities of dealing with teenagers. Im not excusing teachers from all blame, im just pointing out that it isnt always straightforward to get straight answers out of a group of adolescents - that shouldnt be a shock to anyone here. Anyone assuming that teachers just dont care enough to help is not being fair.

Re kids getting up en masse, yes that is wrong, but could it be missed in a large city school at lunchtime, yes it could, because no school has the staff the monitor every action of every group all the time - it just isnt a reality and that cant be helped unfortunately. Furthermore, teenagers wont generally do these things when teachers are nearby because they know it is wrong.

As for doubting a bully victim, that is simply not what I suggested at all and actually a bit nasty to insinuate. What I am saying is that people simply need to be open minded to all possibilities and not jump to any conclusions. What if the person complaining turned out to be the actual bully? Their getting in there first means you dont listen to another word from anyone else - that is just nonsense.

The truth of it is that while they are an easy target here, expecting teachers alone to be able to stop all bullying in schools is simply unrealistic. We heard an awful lot about the bullying the girl endured after the fact. This has to have come from schoolmates. Maybe if those kids were speaking a little earlier about these things they had seen, to a teacher or to their own parents, then these things would be easier to weed out. That is the key to stopping stuff like this eariler.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

Well know locally that the school was too late in reacting to certain situations regarding bullying - too late realising the effect of social media bullying imo. Same kids that had tears in their eyes when they realised what happened. Was sickening. That said - the school have gone the opposite way now and kids can't throw a look at eachother or they'll be reprimanded. Zero tolerance for everything. Bit too late now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

I understand what you say. In the broader scheme of things though, is that any good for the kids either? It isnt a natural environment for people to grow and develop. Unfortunately, that is just a reactionary response to a very tragic case. I wouldnt think that such an extreme policy is a positive development.

Re social media bullying, is that even within the remit of a school?

To my mind, the issue here is coming from the level of investment that is put into schooling children. That might be just a reality that we have to get on with, but I can say for definite, the level of observation that people are asking for here is simply not a possibility in the real world, while cameras cant be placed in all the places they are probably needed in to address things like this efficiently. We want big brother in cases like this, but people also have rights etc. It isnt a straightforward thing to manage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭Demonique

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,252 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

He was caught with images of children. The other guy we hear nothing about as he has not re-offended.

Some people from Pat's were moved into Oberstown. It caused a big change in the age profile of people there and a number of problems for staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Why was Darren Goodwin named but these killers not? Has the law changed since 2004?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,473 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

While they were children when they committed the murder , they are now adults and should be named imo. I'm sure it's widely known in the wider area who they are anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,402 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

I'd say everyone from Lucan out to Maynooth know who they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,473 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I'd imagine so. Actually after refreshing my memory via Google I can't believe they were 13. Still child protection should only last till 18

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,423 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Their picture was widely circulated on social media, the locals would have known and saw the plain clothes Garda going in and out of their houses, and people talk, I doubt they'll be moving back anywhere near home when they're released.

Advertisement