Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minister 'misinterpreted the requirements' after failure to declare second house in Longford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Well well. cleaning angle is interesting for a number of reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,425 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

So that would also mean that renters are getting HAP money for properties not even registered with RTB? Nothing surprises me with this country any more, wtf like.

Can the poor fella not get a break. I Mean already Embarrassed. 🤠

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

We need to switch 'amend the record' with 'lets pretend it never happened' just to be honest.

I don't see the point of these rules. When they get caught they can 'amend the record'.

Troy should be thanking the Ditch for helping him discover his errors. To really help the man out everything should be investigated, just to help him out like. The poor man is incompetent and needs the help god bless...if he's to be believed.

• Advertisement

You should not be able to amend after 2 weeks IMOP. If I tried that in work would not have a job long. Imagine trying to explain to the boss you put down the contract was complete for example to buy time. They they find out your still working on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

Deflection defection deflection everywhere

I responded to a question by someone that’s not deflection!!! Just trying to be nice 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭KevRossi

According to the paper reviews on RTE Radio 1 it's on the front page of all the papers.

If Micheal Martin reckons this was put to bed last week then it's woken up this week with the mother of all hangovers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

and in 6 weeks time you ask the average anyone on the street who this guy is and they will look at you blankly. Yes people interested in politics will remember but the rest??

That is the media cycle these days. You might not like it but it's the way. Every news story is pushed out with over the top reactions and to at this stage it is just water off a ducks back for most people.

The only time we will know the affect is if this guy loses his seat come next election, if FF run him

I just logged onto the indo site and the 2 hike ECB is what people are more interested about.

Now of course I will be accused of "deflection" and "down playing" the story but Im not. I said days ago he should have quit.

It's the truth, I expect this to go on a few more days, it is closer to the weekend after all, the Sunday papers will roll it out as nothing really else happened this week and onto next week. Will we have another TD caught up in a wraggle? who knows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,771 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Disagree totally...guys like Troy become totems for abuse of the system...almost like a meme these days. Like Lowry, Hughie 'loads of money' Bailey 'Swinggate' even O'Snodaigh and the 'Print Cartridges', Bertie 'It's just resting in my account' etc

I think 'Troy Story' will register for a long time...certainly into the next election.

It's a 'top class' Troy Story too because it has run and run for 3 weeks now and shows all the signs of running some more.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Yet like Lowry they could still return him as a TD! It depends how much of a good guy he is seen to be locally. I can understand the generally muted response from all political quarters as they all risk having their own SIPO affairs dredged because of this.

I would not be surprised if they return him, and not surprised that FF would secretly depend on him even if they kicked him out for optics. It's how it works.

Persisting with him to December with their heads down seems to be the preferred and obvious option. Even so, some more attention to SIPO now looks even more likely in the next Dail session.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I asked yesterday how a man who has apparently only ever worked as a County Councilor or as a TD has accumulated enough wealth by the age of 40 to own 11 properties. That has a serious whiff about it. I'd really like a full explanation on this, which we won't get of course.

The second thing I'd like to know is why a guy now earning 6 figures as a Minister, with additional thousands in unvouched expenses coming in every month, and let's say another €20,000 per month in rent from his 11 properties would need or more specifically want to let someone stay in their martial home under the Rent A Room scheme? There's either something very mean/tight about this, or again, there are questions to be asked. Was there an actual tenant staying in his house? Seriously? A Junior Minister with 11 properties has to rent out a room to make ends meet? Would there not be security and confidentially issues with this?

Or did he just for argument's sake say there was just to claim the €14,000 tax relief?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Of course news cycles come & Go & numerous things worry people on a daily basis, Heaven knows there's crisis after crisis being ignored by government but that's about to change & some stark warnings for the winter ahead & beyond.

#TroyStory however is not a news Cycle, it's much much more than that. Some make dislike the prominence it's received, some will be livid Irish MSM have suddenly woken up. To a large extent the story featured on SM & online initially and this was perceived naively as "nothing to see hear" , cranks, Trolls & a mob running amoke , of course utter nonsense.

What those who question the importance, indeed validity of this important story should ask themselves, is it really acceptable for Irish MSM to have Tip Toed around #TroyStory, whatever about people's political beliefs, this is an important story from a number of aspects, including, Transparency, Statutory & Legal obligations & now accountability notwithstanding many unanswered questions, despite MM & Leo's assertions.

What I'm taking from this mornings papers is FF are nervous, concerned, Anxious but not about Robert Troy's Many Misinterpretions but reputataional damage to the party which in itself is extraordinary.

Phase Two commences, this time including Irish MSM who to their abject embarrassment, couldn't ignore it any longer. I might add and reiterate for the sake of objectivity, the Oppositions response was pretty lacking too.

Morning all 😉

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Knew someone who had 5 properties before they were 30. The first one was leveraged off an existing inherited house and I presume they followed a similar pattern. Some people are just driven that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭ooter

if he's deducting 14k from his total rental income on his tax declaration because he's "renting a room" in his house then revenue should be really having a close look at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,045 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Okay so?

But back to the question I asked that you are avoiding like a leper, as previously asked:

What are your own thoughts on the interview yesterday on the News at One?

Driven or otherwise, do you think the Rent-a-Room declaration and indeed everything else passes the "smell test"?

• Advertisement

It's great that you can seemingly predict how things will go in 6 weeks time, but we're in the here and now, so it is big news and indeed, has been for 3 weeks despite the best efforts of the govt and their online cabal trying to dismiss it as nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Of course it would, and there are hundreds of expenses management apps and aoftwares available, but then they'd actually have to declare their actual residence for mileage, the software would automatically calculate the route (so no more long way around to move into higher expense categories) and also no more unvouched expenses, so why would they bring this in when it will literally hit them in their own pockets.

His tax affairs are not the problem in all of this and he insists he's tax compliant. Nobody wants to invite a Revenue audit.

His accountant clearly does although that doesn't always prove to be an accurate assessment. He strikes me as a schemer and were he not in the Dail he'd have a far bigger property empire. He certainly seems to have used his CC contacts extremely well here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Rent a room relief is a great way to potentially launder cash. Revenue can't be expected to catch everything but they should be inspecting his rent a room relief claim, find out who the tenant was, period of residency etc. Also if Troy claimed exactly €14,000 in rent a room relief that is fishy, you think he'd go with an even €1,000 a month (or is he that money hungry that he charged €1,166,67 per month for a room in Westmeath)?

On it goes. Feels like Day 302 of revelations.

It's amazing how those of us in the civil service who get expenses have to vouch for everything with receipts and indeed, the system knows exactly where I live. Imagine that...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,641 ✭✭✭Floppybits

This is the worst type of story that all politicians wanted exposed as it brings focus on each and everyone of the TD's in the Dail on both sides, especially all those who are Landlords and their records on voting with or against certain bills related to rent in the Dail. I don't see why all TD's are not subject to a yearly audit of their finances and what they have submitted to SIPO. It should just be part and parcel of being a TD.

As for the Opposition I'd say the reason they are quiet is because how many of the TD's in the opposition parties are in the same boat as Troy. I wouldn't be surprised if all those opposition TD's where checking what they have submitted to SIPO to make sure it is all correct. Also do the Opposition really need to say anything with this, Troy is making it worse all on his own and not only that he is making a fool of the Taoiseach who has backed him and the Taniste who said he was "Top Class". Lets face it nothing for the opposition to do except sit back and watch and throw in the auld "He has questions to answer over this" every now and then.

Absolutely, but he doesn't get to where he is without his election as a councillor. As I say, everything may well be above board in some aspects as discussed above, but they are certainly weird situations to put yourself in to make a bit of cash when you're not exactly short a few bob.

• Advertisement

I'd actually like to see a lot more scrutiny of his arrangements with the CC. The CC seem to be ignored in this frenzy about his behaviour.

Advertisement