Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minister 'misinterpreted the requirements' after failure to declare second house in Longford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

You would be surprised how many people have a few houses. Even at 40. Trying to say it "has a serious whiff about it"? why because he can manage his money etc.

Just look at that builder guy who is always on facebook, would he be 40 and he has houses all over Dublin?

The problem he has is not declaring everything correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,641 ✭✭✭Floppybits

The CC have a few questions to answer in this which seemed to be missed in all the stuff about Troy. Troy said in one of his first interviews on this that it was the CC that asked him to purchase one of the properties (I think it was the CAB one) because they needed access from this property to another property that the CC owned, why didn't the CC just purchase the property themselves from CAB if this was the case instead of asking Troy to do it and then having to buy it off Troy for more than what Troy paid CAB for it? Either those in the CC are incompetent or there was a cozy little deal made or Troy was lying, I wonder which it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭ooter

from what I've seen, revenue rarely check rental income, you could claim the 14k rent a room allowance and chances are it'll never be followed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Revenue tend to target whole sectors for compliance and the work involved in checking that €14,000 for very small discrepancies would be disproportionate but discrepancies elsewhere in someone's finances could raise a flag.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,045 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Agreed.

Big deals were made about his RAS contracts and the fact that one of the properties remained empty and he still got paid. That in itself is fine as it's meant to be the attractive part of RAS, ie. you get paid a below market rent and the council take on the property and its management for contracted period regardless of its occupancy. It's a fantastic scheme tbh and one of the few bright lights, along with LTL in the CoCo's housing strategy arsenal a decade ago. As someone who worked for an LA's housing dept in the past in multiple sections, I'm well aware of how things operate therein.

However, the fishy stench emanates from elsewhere in this case:

The purchase of a property in disrepair and in need of extensive renovation that had been on sale for over a year, for well over the asking price and then its sale for nearly double again to Longford CoCo:

And this weird situation where there are no records in Westmeath CoCo leading up to the purchase of a property for site access in Mullingar:

---

Councils throughout this state need to be completely re-imagined. They have been long not fit for purpose and this just highlights that again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I get that and understand that, but I'd bet none of those work in County Councils or are Junior Ministers. Of course there are exceptions to almost every rule but we're always told how being a politician is a full-time 24-7-365 job. Seems like Robert has plenty of time to manage property.

In the interests of transparency I had more than one property by the time I was 40 (I had 2). But I would have been on considerably more money than a county councilor and in the period 2008-2016 there were some very tough times trying to keep the show on the road when the market crashed and rents collapsed - Christ knows what that would have been like managing 11 or however many he had at the time. You still need substantial deposits to acquire property, even when leveraged against each other. Maybe Troy is an an exceptional businessman and property developer.....or maybe there's more to this than meets the eye.

As someone said earlier, it just doesn't pass the smell test for me. The Rent A Room thing to me is particularly fishy - seriously, would any of you who are married take someone into your family home under that scheme unless you were under severe financial pressure? That plus the rent in cash only claim - admittedly now there's an affidavit from the tenant saying it was on his request - but there's a lot of questions to be answered here.

Rather than clear the air yesterday like I assume Troy hoped with the interview, all he has done for me anyway is raise even more questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,045 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

O Dear, Again & Again, I mentioned yesterday, Fire Certs a very serious matter. Please Note the Blue Tick after Twitter user's name 😉

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,770 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Anyone else getting the similarity to a pressure cooker here?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,194 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Lets stop fooling ourselves lads. We have seen this all before and FFG have no intention of fixing it.

When RTE Investigates did their Standards in Public Office program in 2015 it showed a litany of corruption etc

RTÉ Investigates - Standards in Public Office (rte.ie)

We all knew about the likes of Hugh McElvaney (FG), Joe Queenan (FF) etc.

There was talk of reform at the time...yada yada. New Politics etc. A new long overdue bill was even drafted!

RTE Investigates did another 2 programs recently on Councillors gouging on fake expenses. Mainly FF and FG councillors caught.

The local councillors who broke expense rules (rte.ie)

Council chamber secrets: Misconduct, falsehoods & waste (rte.ie)

Council chamber secrets: Misconduct, falsehoods and waste.

"A new era of accountability in local government was promised ten years ago, but has yet to be delivered."

Criminal stuff. Pure and utter fraud. Same outrage and promises to reform....yada yada.

What happened?

In 2015, the prospect of ethics law reform was on the political agenda when a proposed piece of legislation, the Public Sector Standards Bill, was presented to the Dáil.

Under this legislation, a new Office of Public Sector Standards Commissioner was proposed, in addition to various other reforms that had been initially recommended in the Mahon Tribunal.

The commissioner would have the power to initiate investigations, even in the absence of a complaint. (Currently, the Standards in Public Office Commission can only initiate inquiries upon receiving a complaint.) It would also have powers to impose fines.

"For the first time, a uniform framework of ethical regulations will apply at national and local level in Ireland," said Brendan Howlin, the then-Minister for Public Expenditure and Reform, in a Dáil debate in January 2016.

"There will now be a consistency of approach to ethical obligations across the public sector and, in a new departure, overarching integrity principles for public officials will be enshrined in legislation."

Of course, all of this sounded promising. But progress on the legislation later ground to a halt.

In August 2017, Finance Minister Paschal Donohoe wrote to the Oireachtas Finance Committee to warn that it was "essential that the Committee now quickly moves" to schedule the completion of thecommittee stage of the proposed legislation.

When asked for an update on the legislation in June 2019, an Oireachtas official replied that the Dáil term was due to finish the following month and that "All our remaining meetings are fully accounted for, and there are no plans to deal with this Bill in the remaining time".

The delays continued, and once the 2020 General Election was called, the bill died.

-----------------

The bill died. They dont want reform. FFG like the trough.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

If FF had thrown this yoke over board when the story broke they would have garnered some respect from the hundreds of thousands of people effected by the housing crisis but they decided to round the wagons and attempt to brazen it out. It might have worked in years gone by when they could have their media arm RTE and other special interest media organisations like Newstalk help to move the story on but with good fact based independent news outlets and the internet they can't influence as they once did.

Even well heeled people who would have voted for them before have an issue with them now as their own kids have to leave the country in search of a proper life with an affordable roof over their heads.

Honestly can't wait for the next election so we can see them and their partners in crime FG chucked into the ditch of Irish politics for the foreseeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

Really? let me ask you how many houses you think the Healy Rae family own between them all in Kerry? that's between the TD's and then all of the rest of the family in the county council?

That's just an example.

If they have them all declared then good for them. If they don't then thats the problem.

Rent a room is an option available to everyone in Ireland. Doesn't matter if you are single or married. No idea why you are so hung up on that? we have no idea if this guy had 10 houses that the whole thing wasn't a pack of cards and one wrong move and the whole thing came crashing down.

Just to be Clear BA, Not only has MHR registered all his property & business interests, but on numerous occasions has declared his interest when raising questions in the Dail. Some may dislike MHR, I'm not particularly a fan, but he hides nothing and certainly is not prone to misinterpretions about his statutory and legal obligations as an elected public representative.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Revenue and the RTB could make headline news by both investigating Troy, which might crack the whip on others around the country who are either not declaring rent a room relief or are incorrect claiming it, and also those who aren't registering their rental properties with the RTB.

1 investigation by each could whip hundreds or thousands into compliance very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Resigning with dignity really has become a thing of the past

Now that this story is starting to come back on Martin and Varadkar now because they backed him. There are even questions being asked of the Green and where they are in all of this? The biggest sin in a political party is to make the leader look bad and Troy has made leaders in the 2 major parties look bad. I wonder if Varadkar is regretting his "Top Class" comment now. Can see that haunting him like "its not compulsory but its mandatory" comment haunts Doherty.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭shirrup

Did you ever give an answer as to why you thought Troy should resign, but the rest of us should follow the "innocent until proven guilty" mantra?

You don't see any contradiction or hypocrisy in that stance, no?

More troubling questions about a vacant property in Mullingar, The Minister claimed to be getting €780 pm from Westmeath Co Co

From the examiner.

"Mr Troy has one property in Co Westmeath of which he is 50% owner, a house at 39 Cathedral View in Mullingar. That house, which the minister has been declaring as a rental since he was first elected as a TD in 2011, has been vacant for a number of months"

More from the examiner this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 32,719 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Michael Healy Rae was caught out before not declaring things as well.

The Healy Rae's (Danny and Michael) are multi millionaires. Michael Healy Rae alone has 5m plus worth of property.

They wont resign because of the loss of money, they would rather be seen as greedy and corrupt than resign and take hit in pocket.

• Advertisement

Indeed but learned his lesson, so to speak, he makes no secret of his property portfolio or business interests and does declare an interest when asking pertinent questions in the Dail, I'm no fan, I might add 😉

Indeed, that question was just blankly ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭Gorteen

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

To be fair, you have no idea whether he is upfront about everything or just the parts he wants you to know about!.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

What happens if they get chucked out? They leave behind their problems for the next government, who then get blamed for them, and people will vote FF and FG in again. And the cycle repeats.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭downtheroad

A total of 77 TDs/Senators are landlords according to a news bulletin just now. A lot of scrambling on both government and opposition sides I would say to see who is and isn't compliant with their SIPO requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

How is he not gone??

He’s admitted not registering a property with the RTB which is a criminal offence.

What a joke, and the silence from most parties.

• Advertisement

Every party but the Greens have spoken on this. Unless I missed the Greens commenting.

Advertisement