Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Pay Talks - see mod warning post 4293

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Doughnutholer

Bold of you to assume they pay taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭rogerywalters

Ive got it on very good authority that it is a 20% rise but in order to fund it Fliballs123 is being cut 80%.

id take 10% over the 2 years or 8% and fliball permabanned

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭salonfire

Why is the mentions of strike even covered in the national media? A bunch of babies throwing their toys out of the pram because of global circumstances that affects everyone. Why is this even news?

And how is it even a legal basis for striking under the Industrial Relations acts? It wasn't their employer that caused the war in Ukraine or the increased cost of living. How can strike action against an employer who has not implemented any adverse changes to the workplace even be justified?

Time to face down the unions. If any increase above and beyond already offered is to be given, it must be accompanied by non payroll concessions from the employees , starting with actually doing a full week's work.

bow wow wow wow wow

Typical grunt of the ignorant and uninformed, lowly educated paper shuffler.

If the Government do give into the rises demanded, what signal does that send out as to the viability of the State? Is the State now left with an open ended liability where its employees must be reimbursed come what may? If, for some reason, runaway inflation continues or some other global disaster, the government has to be the financiar of last resort? How does one budget for this scenario?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

I can't for the life of me understand why anyone is bothered debating with poor ol envious bitter Fliball123,

All that matters is that we get the 10%.

Life is all about winner takes all, survival of the fittest etc.

Personally I couldn't care less if Fliball123 or anyone else in the private sector got no increase or even ended up with a 20% decrease 🤣

Life is short and moves fast, all you should be worried about in this particular case, if you're a public servant, is what more you can get.

When the increase comes through I know I sure as hell won't be feeling any guilt for getting it.

Gonna book a nice holiday once its official 😁

Slag off other posters all you want, but when the day comes for your redundancy, or your final notice from the bank, raise a glass to that 'lowly educated paper shuffler' who'll be getting their yearly increment and climbing the grades in their permanent 'job for life'.

Here here!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭MakersMark

Shame that public "workers" feel this way, but it looks like some stereotypes are really true.

I'm sure alot of them are.

Fortunately I'm one of the decent ones, I put in a 12 hour day today, flat out, no time even for a break.

I typically work around 10 hours beyond my standard weekly amount, for no additional pay, because I want to deliver, not only for my Department, but for the public relying on me.

I don't expect any thanks or praise for it.

I'm also not a union member and don't ever plan to be.

But I'm not a common find in the service, I'll agree on that. It's rotten to the core, full to the brim with 'we are entitled to xyz' types that do nothing.

Do I care, honestly, no. I'm there to carry out my duties, I do that to the fullest.

Do I care if private sector workers think all public servants are useless, no.

As long as I get that 10% that's all that matters, if 50% of the private sector gets made redundant by year end that's not my concern.

Just give me more money.

i take exception to "uneducated" squire, it was in another language and everything

it was also precisely the right intellectual level required to respond to your scattershot rhetoric rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭LegallyAbroad

Jesus this thread is utter garbage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭fliball123

Tesco got a 10% pay rise because the company made record profits and are not in debt. How much as a country are we in debt again, oh wait 240Billion yeah give over will you. People on here are saying their increments are negotiated into the contract and should be honored yet they want 10% because of one years high inflation which is not in the contract and then of course they conveniently forget that for 7/8 years between 2014 and 2021 they had pay rises per head of 10%+ and inflation ran at 3% ye know so they are 7% ahead already. You cannot follow inflation vs pay rises when you want (when inflation is high) and then ignore it when you want (when inflation is low or periods of deflation). It does not work like this.

See your sh1te about employers compensation, we are already up at 8% with regards to insolvencies within the private sector in Q1 2002, Q2 will see it increase slightly mainly due to the summer months and the good weather but Q3 and Q4 will display a blood bath as in Q1 and in part Q2 the government were still providing Covid supports for businesses so the compensation offering your sh1ting on about will be the going rate of statutory redundancy and the dole.

The dogs on the street know we are hitting a recession globally.

Why would the bank be sending a final notice when I have paid off the mortgage?

I did take redundancy a couple of years ago and left with a pay off closer to 100k than 50k. Tax free. Then started a new job the week after.

A few glasses were certainly raised that day (read, full weekend bender)

Cheers!

Why permabanned am I making too much sense, am I pointing out the traps that are being set up for the very near and medium future, ye know things that Stevie Wonder and Ray Charles can see. Yeah but ban away I have put links up to back up what I am saying I have tried to be civil yet most here play the man not the ball before I react in kind, but you and your brethren keep your head in the sands. I look forward to the day when the IMF are back in here and cutting your wage as its going to happen as there is no other way around it and it maybe another decade but its coming the can kicking for our debt and our outrageous amount of spending in this country vs the service provided (P1ss poor services) and the punitive income tax rates being paid to cover it will have a day of reckoning. Lets see how we are in say 4/5 years time when our 240Billion+ debt has to be rolled over on sky high interest rates (be interesting to see if the % point stays at .25% but already .5% and .75% is being discussed for September due to inflation and the Euro falling below parity with the dollar.) Not to mention the small (haha small) pension timebomb that has also been kicked down the road. Our kids and grandkids will be paying for sh1t like pay rises based on what will be shown to be a temporary increase in inflation due to 2 external factors that we have zero control over.

We will also have to sail through a recession in the next 12/24 months. I have already said I know you guys will be getting pay rises what politician is going to argue about their own pockets being filled??. But go ahead its like Animal Farm with all the animals outside looking in at the piggies and the humans making a deal that suits both and phucks over everyone else.

No its already been shown that if inflation goes down vs pay rise per head they wont be getting a pay cut, only in the ps can they argue a situation for a pay rise and ignore a situation when their pay should be cut. I have no bother with 10% providing if deflation kicks in and income tax comes down then public sector pay is cut to the same %.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭Gusser09

We are going to get a payrise soon and it's fully deserved. Will it make us rich? No. Will it help with the cost of living? A little.

The thing about all of these 4 and 5 percent rises is they all add up and contribute toward a pension and gratuity payment. The cost of living will most certainly come back down so that's when we will really benefit. I think 5 percent upfront is achievable but not much more than that. It's unfortunate that this is about pay only and not taking into account the wider factors which can also help people save money. Having extra money in your pocket doesn't necessarily have to mean a payrise.

• Advertisement

To be honest, if public pay, social welfare, etc was tied to inflation it would stop a lot of this nonsense.

Unions would have no basis for pay increases beyond inflation. Politicians could not engage in populism with pensioners on budget day and so on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Jesus. If you put as much energy into applying for the Public Service as you have with your anti public sector posts for the last few years; you'd be an ASec by now. This is like a crusade for you. Fair play for the consistency though.

True. And the PS would be a getting a lot more than 10% over 2 years.

Just some food for thought for the piggies when they are at the table negotiating the tax payer into even more debt as its not just the pay rises it is also the knock on effect with public sector pensions and our 240 Billion debt.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Summer2020

Do you do any work at all Fleaball ? How do your employer's feel about the long winded essays you post regularly on company time, or do they know?

While inflation should play some part into it , there should also be some consideration give to our debts and tax burden on the people living in the country. No point in matching inflation if we have borrowed too much or are over taxing our civilians which is what is currently happening from a very low point in this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,467 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Yeah we pay over 51% of our money earned at a very low rate in this country. So yeah over taxing.

Or if you want to do a days summery and you tell me if we are not over taxed and this is an average day nothing too fancy no meals or heading off on the lash.

You get woke up by your alarm clock - VAT, Standing charges, PSO and Carbon tax on electricity, VAT on the alarm clock when bought, VAT on the bed, pillows, matrass, sheets, duvet that you have woke up on.

You go into the bathroom for the 3S's - VAT on razors, shaving foam, soap, shampoo, body wash, deodorant, after shave and toilet paper and the charges related to heating the water using the electricity as outlined above.

I go down have a cup of coffee and toast - Electricity related charges for using the kettle and toaster, VAT on buying kettle and Toaster, VAT on Coffee.

I leave the house - Stamp duty, VAT on solicitor fees when buying the house, Property tax, Tax on waste disposal, VAT on home & life insurance for the property.

I get into the car and drive to work - VAT and carbon tax on petrol, VAT on car insurance, Motor tax, VAT on Motor Tax, toll bridge, VAT and VRT when buying the car.

I sit at my desk to start work. - PAYE, PRSI, USC

Finish work go back out to the car to drive home - see above for driving to work.

I sit in the house watch some TV - see above taxes for any electrical device bought and used and throw in the TV license on top.

I make some dinner - Once again VAT on buying and using electrical devices.

Then off to bed - See above.

Now you tell me are we not over taxed, by my reckoning if things continue with our ridiculous spend we will be taxed per breath that we take

Post edited by fliball123 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,284 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

A smart move would be to reduce significantly or eliminate the last cut from the last recession still hanging over us - the dreaded ASC. This would make a substantial difference to take home salaries.

• Advertisement

Not a chance your paying a contribution to a defined benefit, how about they cut the USC ye know the temporary tax for everyone first before any pay rises in the PS

Advertisement