Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Rookie - US-Pace- ABC (**Spoilers**)

Comments

And they're wondering why they're losing to streaming services

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,972 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Well I won't be watching the spin off if it gets picked up after this weeks backdoor pilot.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,019 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

That was a hard watch and the spinoff looks terrible.

What the **** is it with the girlfriend in every job.

So she's a firefighter/paramedic but she seems to be the only one ever on duty and now she's a national guard team leader?

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Tom1991

Love anything fillion but this season is taking the utmost piss. Was cheesey and stylish at the start with some great shocks along the way.Like the original Chiefs twist and Chens kidnapping or even the Brandon Routh racist cop stuff.

This back door pilot episode was written by someone wit a deficiency in something .Honestly the fbi wannabe and her fathers dialogue and the general fbi dialogue was painful.”daddy went to prison and never played his horn again”.You have Chen sitting there qualified physiologist or whatever but we get this Macy’s gray sounding guidance counsellor telling the fbi and lapd how to handle suspects with mental problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,548 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I thought it was a good episode (and I liked Simone). Good cliffhanger too.

I think like with this show, the supporting cast in the spinoff will be important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,469 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

well.... that is no odder than the LA PD being COMPLETELY reliant on 6 specific cops for every emergency situation.

Manhunt for a cop killer? Get them rookies on it.

Assault on a drug lord in a foreign territory? Get them rookies on it.

Cop being hunted by a gang? Call the rookies.

Rookies need some help?? erm... is Bradshaw about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Jesus that 2 parter was difficult to watch. So freakin schmaltzy with clunky af dialogue. What a waste of 2 episodes.

Nice to see yer man from Heroes in it though.

So the day after allowing "her" armoury get cleaned out, Riley's free to be the only first responder to Nolan's crash...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

The writing on this is terrible. Nathan Fillion must have some serious dirt on ABC to keep getting this made!!

Out of everybody, Alyssa Diaz is a great actress having started life with small roles in Southland, The Last Ship, graduating to Army Wives, and now The Rookie. Meika Cox is also very good and I thought it was decent to write her real life pregnancy into the show. If there was a spin off with their 2 characters, I think that is something I could get behind.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,019 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Oh jesus that was terrible. So Nolan gets pulled over by the CIA who make off with their suspect only for the LAPD to setup a roadblock with Nolan front and center to take the suspect. Then he has a car accident and his girlfriend is the first person there to the accident.

I'm guessing for the spin-off that the network has a few quotas they are short on, a bi, coloured, "older", former teacher, single mother of twins, fighting with her wrongfully incarcerated father, all that ticks a lot of boxes. I'm assuming they'll throw in a religious bias at some stage as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭extremehalo

It has gotten so bad now at this stage, I was expecting to see her as the bomb tech also!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,270 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

The girlfriends storyline is just too bad, she can just do everything!

Might as well just call her Captain Burnham and be done with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭markc1184

Think it's safe to say these 2 episodes have done absolutely nothing to entice many to watch this FBI spin-off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,587 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

A whole season of that, there isn't enough alcohol in the world.

• Advertisement

I'm going to guess that 1 of the children has an addiction to something and the other 1 has some kind of issues that makes it hard for her to live up to her whole potential. I won't be watching it, especially as the forced "trainee" name they were pushing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

She has shown up in Superman and Lois and the furniture outperforms her. Pretty, telegenic faces can hang around too long.

Ah, so it is a thing. It doesn't bode well at all. She pranced around, gettin' in people's bidness and doing that stereotypical Mama thing that Martin Lawrence did badly well over a decade ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Yeah you know it's bad when you side with the bosses telling her to fcuk off back to quantico.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,151 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Man, Nolan really can't catch a break can he. Finale next week

• Advertisement

That was 1 full on Mother's day, poor Angela was up for 3 hours, went for breakfast with her mother in law, tracked down the baddies, setup a sting in the hospital and still had time to discuss her husband's career change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,871 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Such a weird disjointed finale. Kinda liked it though? The Dim and Juicy story went nowhere (apart from to bring 2 characters together), but the last 10 minutes were good. I'd put money on the country cop becoming a rookie in LA next season.

Yeah totally agree, episode was all over the place. It felt more like the first part of 2 parts season finale. For a season finale they should have just stuck with the one storyline instead of doing two with the Tim and Lucy one just there to start the change in their relationship. When Nila said she wanted to stay a detective and that Forson needed a new TO, I would have thought this was leading to Nolan somehow becoming a TO as a result of his time at the border.

The spin-off is called The Rookie: Feds

That was a hard watch, goes from a sleepy town to an almost murder and a shoutout with a major gang. It was very nice of the gang to put down their assault rifles and just stick to handguns/knives. I don't think I'll bother with it next season, will definitely skip the spinoff.

So they couldn't risk shooting boss man but peppered the place with bullets, with no warning.

My sweet Jesus, this season has been terrible and, in particular, the action has been horrific

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Howok

Spoilers,again..

Well the thread title warns you there will be spoilers so that is on you for entering the thread

US paced thread, I don't enter until I've seen most recent episode

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I echo the other comments, the showrunners and writers have lost the run of themselves!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,587 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Pete Davidson again, dear god why?

Why oh why did super soldier, magic paramedic, and fantastic firefighter girlfriend spin the wheels on continuing to drive away from pole cutters?

Also, had a significant lead and could just have kept driving to get into range of another mobile mast.

Nope; instead stop and assume the useless lump, in the trailer, would be useful against armed assailants.

And don't get me started on her taking on that man mountain, who she couldn't even rock with full force kicks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,096 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I am sticking with it, probably more out of habit than anything but the people behind the show have definitely had a 'mare of a season, renewal isn't an indication of quality, an awful lot of old shite gets renewed for donkey's years.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Yeah, it's a bit like relegation in sport, you only have to be better ratings than the worst!

Yeah same here, it has sort of become a show where I would have it on in the background while I'm browsing the internet on my phone. They need to tone down Bailey though next season. She is too much of a Jack of All Trades and always seems to be involved in the case of the week if Nolan involved. Hopefully they resolve the Nolan becoming a TO story soon. Maybe the season premiere continues on from this seasons finale like they did with the previous one with the kidnapping at the wedding

Yeah I'm sticking with it too. It's still a fun show.

Hopefully they have realised that this season was flawed and will take steps to correct it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,996 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Ah it might be a bit ridiculous but as said above it's still an enjoyable on-in-the-background kinda show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,972 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It is a classic light entertainment show not a HBO cop drama.

Ah there's a major difference between the first few seasons and this one.

I'm noticing more and more shows like the Rookie aren't having the main cast appear in scenes together much at all, some major cost cutting/scheduling reasons I'm sure but it means that some characters just do their own thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,023 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

I thought lately it was more to do with Covid and trying to keep cast numbers down to prevent a super spreader event.

But cost cutting is definitely a viable alternative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,620 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I still really enjoy it and love watching Nathan Fillion in nearly anything. It can't be denied though that the show has moved so far past its original remit that its firmly in the mold of a 'generic cop drama' with scattered, interchangeable plots and characters with massive gaps in logic requiring viewers to almost entirely suspend their disbelief. That said, its somewhat understandable as it would be equally unbelievable if he was still a rookie this many years in.

I guess its a bit of a natural evolution that once it played out its original storyline, it was always going to lose believability one way or another.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,096 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I think I'm done with The Rookie now. Habit will mean I probably end up watching the first episode but it really feels like it's scraping the bottom of the barrel now, so by the numbers even for network TV.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Definitely starting to look too old to be a so-called rookie, he's now heading for 52.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

agreed, i think im done - turned into blue bloods standard of TV, im out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭markc1184

Returns tonight on US tv with the Feds spinoff airing on Tuesday.

A cracker of a first episode. Really excellent, loved it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement