Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2022 - Here we go again! - **No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭rubick

Oh, has Applemans been discontinued? We got a shed-load of free pints of that in 2019, at the Salty Dog junction they were handing out apple-shaped tokens that you could redeem for a free pint. I think people took them and just dropped them, we had a least 6 or 7 freebies. It wasn't bad either. Orchard Thieves will be preferable to the Rockshore cider at ATN, wow that was awful, only marginally better than their beer.

There's usually a craft beer bar around the food courts, about halfway down the first row of vendors, I'll have a look there. Fingers crossed for Whiplash.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Manning3000

Anything is better than the Rockshore Lager at ATN. I am not a big fan of Heineken but its better than that. Laguintas IPA was at Picnic in 2019 so hopefully again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭Mucker46

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Me too. Dozens of middle-aged men scrabbling around in the muck for free cider tokens. We're an advertisement for Ep alright.

"...then you'd bring your paper apple to the bar. 'Gimmie one pint of liquid apples,' you'd say, and hand it over. Then we all tied an onion to our belts, as was the style of the time..."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

There's been a cute hoor bar along the food corridor, backing onto body and soul for the last 3 installments.

The options have reduced over the years, but they used to have Murphys Red, Murphys stout, Birra Moretti, Lagunitas, and a couple of others too. Worth a visit, but are always 50c or more, more expensive than the main bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Navan Man01

A small price to pay for decent liquid refreshment! Hopefully they’re there this year! Heineken seem to be pushing a lot of the independent vendors further out the gate!

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭paulieeye

What a load of bollix. Its a 3 day festival that people actually want to work at in exchange for a ticket. Lay off the American media

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭Mucker46

Have been there a few times only problem is having to go there to get a drink when not at a stage nearby. Being able to get one of the "main" drinks means they are more widely available and given it looks like i will be in the woods a lot that is a consideration

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭eplady2017

There is going to be Birra Moretti bar/stage of some sort anyway.. Let's hope its available in all the bars...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭darzog

Let’s hope so…

Also, as well as the known unknowns with M&B, there are the unknown knowns too! That is, there are still Spike Island, Global Green Village Hall and Art Lot Granny’s Gaff-shaped holes in the schedule. I know that we’re at the more esoteric end of the overall bill here, but in 2019, there were 23 acts in GH Village Hall, 29 in Spike Island, and 21 in Granny’s Gaff. So, there might still be a few more acts coming our way yet, over and above a hotly anticipated potential Mind & Body announcement.

Historically though, these smaller stages have tended to self-announce final line-ups in the couple of days immediately before EP commences. Full disclosure, I have visited Granny’s Gaff once (to see Grainne Hunt) and have yet to darken the door of the Village Hall after all these years BUT with seemingly fewer acts playing and a 25% increase in footfall…one likes to feel that one is getting value for money, especially since we have lost the Throwback Stage, Little Big Tent and even the Oxjam Introducing Stage in recent(ish) times

I think it was yourself, @Thundercats Ho talking about a comparison between amount of acts in 2018 and this year. Even a quick look at the poster shows 138 acts in 2018 between main arena, Body and Soul and Other Voices. If we're thinking Mind and Body and the 3 All For Music stage (the OV replacement) have been subsumed into the main Body of acts, we've only 112 acts this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,596 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

There was an issue with the chemical composition of the cups so they pulled them mid-festival for health and safety reasons. 2010 I think. Why they’ve not been reintroduced is puzzling.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭Alkers

Thats been there before, small tent with table football etc on the main strip of food vendors

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭Alkers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭The Davestator

I'll bring my Oxygen 08 reusable cup I think. Its paid for already!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Mother having their own stage could potentially be amazing! These guys have regularly been the highlight of my weekend down in stradbally over the last 10 years. But in another way it's a shame they won't be doing their traditional sets in Body & Soul or Jerry Fish. For a bit of an idea what to expect this is a playlist I put together a few years ago based nearly solely on seeing them at festivals: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/7BsD137vTd5X8ALDYdfZ0H?si=CYNO6fZ6RMyS_3tdc7cH4g&utm_source=copy-link

Only time I've been let down by them was actually earlier this year when I went to their pride block party in town. Didn't really play the tunes I was expecting. But would highly recommend going down to see them late night on one of the nights in the woods!

Also regarding someone's theory that the Mind & Body lineup will just be made up of acts already on the poster, I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case. I know of one decent sized Irish act playing on that main stage who are already on the poster. However lineup seems light if there isn't a separate announcement!

We've a couple of stainless steel pint pots from Glastonbury 2015/16, you paid £10 for them and used them at any bar at the festival. All proceeds went to families of steelworkers who were on strike at the time, I think. Maybe FR/Heineken could offer something similar in the modern era but I guess a press release is easier/more affordable.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭HarryTheSpider

With the reusable cups, I assume you hand it in, they fill it and then hand back.

Does that get complicated at some of the bigger bars where they might have one set of people serving and another pulling the pints?

I like a Weissbier myself. I used to drink Paulaner down there, which was great but it wasn't there last time out, was it? Anyone remember?

• Advertisement

At the larger bars it's grand as there's usually more people serving. It's definitely doable if it's set up correctly. The main stage bar at ATN was huge, can't remember waiting more than a minute for a pint even at peak times. I wonder if the main stage bar at EP this year up at the back will change format - it's not really big enough for the numbers, and there's even more people this year.

Ta for that Ferris, that's a fantastic list. That's not what I was expecting at all. I might very well drag my arse there at some stage so.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭HarryTheSpider

Have Trinity Orchestra been mentioned at all?

They are normally at good start to one of the afternoons and they did a great set at ATN.

Also, I wonder when we are going to start to see stage times appear.

There will be no work out of anybody next week as it all finally gets announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,596 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

You hand it in and they give you a different cup. For reasons of contamination of the taps (saliva, cold sores, etc) they should be washing the cup you hand in. Standard practice at festivals and I’d expect it to be next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭fourmations

yeahs that the stuff all right, great tunes

i wonder if its billing as a queer event will steer the tunes towards disco? they have drag dancers and stuff,

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

Heineken own Birra Moretti, so there's a more than decent chance it will be served at the larger bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭desk tidy

Anyone who's down on site early, let us know if you spy any bar drinks lists/taps going in etc. Although cider wise I'm expecting orchard thieves 😑

• Registered Users Posts: 12,548 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

It was stopped in 2010 as they had trouble with cleaning the eco cups or something like that.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Phishwax

I see Salty Bouy food truck will be down. They do amazing food seafood

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Navan Man01

Didn’t know that! Learn something new everyday on this group! 😂

Advertisement