Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From a Christmas Pudding to a Christmas Cracker - Weight Loss Motivation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭DvB

I learned the hard way you cant out run a bad diet and in reality I always knew this & too many attempts to increase exercise were negatively impacted by me stubbornly ignoring this & eating poorly, the last few months have rammed that home by the fact I've barely been exercising outside of walking & have managed to lose 3kg purely by copping on & eating reasonably.

If I could cut out the beers every other weekend I'd be flying I suspect, but 3 or 4 beers every fortnight is a treat I refuse to give up, it cant be all work!!

😀

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Similarly I would eat healthy enough 99% of the time however love my treats on a Saturday evening, could be a few beers or some chocolate biscuits, whatever takes my fancy. Is very important and helps keep you on the straight and narrow the rest of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭Jude13

I just wish it weren't so, even though I know it to be. Cant out train a bad diet, particularly at my age.

Did a heavy session in the gym and ran 10km on the treadmill to make up for the bag of hummus crisps yesterday.

Even at mu strictest when I dropped 18kg (1,250 cals a day for the last few weeks) I always allowed for a triple chesses burger in a lettuce bun every Friday. I would have to barely eat that day, not breakfast and a shake lunch.

I had a vodka lime and soda at the weekend with the OH instead of a pint as I am knocking the booze due to cals. It was manky so wont be doing that again, I didn't finish the first and only one.

I like the old traditional G&T when not drinking beers.

Jameson myself. Though did used to like the odd GnT back in the day!!

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement

I have drunk gin once. Prior to a teenage gaa disco I downed, in the space of a few minutes. an obscene amount gin and orange juice. I will never touch it again. It has been the go too for old expats but I just cant stand it.

My OH has a whiskey/whisky cabinet that is full of fancy stuff which lasts years as she will only ever have one or two over a few months. I just dont like the taste.

Im a rum man, ron zacapp xo with ice.

Feel off the wagon the last few days, though I have been training hard I have eaten too much. Im a bit annoyed. Its not weigh in day but I have gone up .4kg since Monday. Strict breakfast, and lunch, good dinner (last night I over did it though). Then 8pm hits and Im smashing chocolate biscuits. AAHHHH Just venting, I know what to do.

Back at it today, meant to be take away day with the little one but I will have to be quite strict on what I have. All this so I can gorge by Christmas.

Don't beat yourself up Jude, we've all been there, life has a way of throwing curveballs & at the end of the day you're going to have days less than perfect in terms of the muchies. Just get back on track and dont double down & you'll be fine.

We're all allowed to have our relapses, you're only human. Important thing is you know what it is and you can easily get back on track. Stick at it and you'll be fine.

Bad week on diet and still trainined like a loon. If had been a good boy dieting I would have lost a kg.

Week 0: 90.5kg

Week 1: 89.8kg (-0.7kg) Think that about 1.5lb in old money.

Week 2: 89.6kg (-0.2kg)

I was as low as 89.4kg but fell off the wagon. Waaaay behind my planned 0.8kg/1.8lb weekly loss.

• Advertisement

Cheers, I and well versed in the peaks, troughs, and plateaus. Hence I weight myself everyday and log it so I can see averages not weird days. For example, I had a bad weekend so yesterday at 6am I was 89.6kg, did no exercise yesterday, ate as normal. This morning at 6am I was 88.7kg.

I know I am neither of these weights and the reality is somewhere in the middle. I will be lucky to end the week at 88.7kg. The goal is 88.1kg though I had a lads brunch and golf this weekend so it may impossible.

That's the very reason I don't weigh myself daily (or never did should I say) there's too many minor fluctuations to track, prefer to see the tracking over longer periods, weekly usually works for me as over the course of 7 days the fluctuations are balanced out more to give a better reflection of where you stand, IMO anyway. This was the way we tracked pre season with the hockey club and its stuck with me.

Completely agree for tracking weight weekly weigh is the way (so tempted to say 'weigh'). But for my accountability and impetus to stick to a calorie controlled diet I find weighing helps avoid me being bold. The below just keeps me away from the biscuits!!

In fairness, who doesn't love a good spreadsheet. Especially with colours 😂

You should see the whole thing! Logging macros for protein carbs and fats. Recording steps and weight and reps. I went a bit militant a couple of years ago and logged everything like I was back in college training hard.

Now its just weight and cardio. Did an EMOM (Every minute on the minute) last night and an 8km so was dehydrated to hell this morning so my weigh in was skewed.

That is one thing I have noticed, how big an impact water plays on your weight. I weight my lowest when drinking a ton of water.

One of he reasons I weigh myself first thing in the morning, post pee, for like for like logging.

It was over 30C last night so I lost a lot of fluid. I would say I was weighing 0.5kg/1lb lighter than I am. I load up on electrolytes most days as its just so hot.

Skipped weigh in today as I had a full day eating and boozing saturday and a recovery day yesterday of eating jellies, chocolate and Chinese's.

Sounds a bit like my weekend! Ended up having a few pints Saturday night and had the munchies all day yesterday. Wasn't terrible but wasn't great either.

• Advertisement

Sounds like 2 enjoyable weekends IMO.

Defo, I've always said I have to live life and if I can try to be good 80% of the time, that is good enough for me.

Saturday was a round of golf in a social competition from 7am to 1pm, then a boozy brunch from 2pm to 6pm, then to a pub. I do this max twice a year. I am now downgrading this to zero times a year as I am dead from it. I got home at 9pm and ordered in enough food for an army.

Tell me about it. Only had 4 pints on Saturday night and was feeling it all day yesterday. Back in the day, 4 pints would have been the warm up!

I shouldn't be surprised, I'm not a young one anymore!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Woke up this morning to find I'd dropped below 90kg for he first time in... 10 years?

Alcohol's getting expensive so I don't drink much anymore, don't miss it. Hangovers are a pain too.

I cut down on fatting crap too... still eat it but not as much.

Our wedding is next September, aiming for 70kg. I'd be happy with 80kg though.

Does the trick

Well done. It's amazing what cleaning up your diet will do even with no exercise.

90 to 70 is very doable by next September. Well done getting below 90, those milestones are great.

Week 0: 90.5kg

Week 1: 89.8kg (-0.7kg) Think that about 1.5lb in old money.

Week 2: 89.6kg (-0.2kg)

Week 3: 89.8kg (+0.2kg)

😪

• Advertisement

Minor set back, get back on it this week and you'll be back on track.

Advertisement