Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar PV Hints, Tips & Troubleshooting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,311 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Still have space for 2 panels on the house. That would bring me to 13 per string and I'd be maxed out.

Hard to get the 310w JA panels though, they're discontinued basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭championc

It's stupidly simple. The connectors are different, one male and one female. The male of the first panel connects to the female of the second, and so on.

On the inverter are also a male and female connectors. You would need a male to female extension cable from where the inverter is to the first panel of the string, and from the last panel back to the inverter.

Yes, it's that simple. The plugs click together, nice and firmly. There is an MC4 tool to disconnect connections.

Even to make your own extension cable is easy. Plenty of videos on YouTube. The connectors are always called MC4's

So you can see why I asked if you played with Lego. No wonder these lads do a whole roof in a day.

And there is nothing anywhere to say that you cannot do all of this. RECi stuff is all about the AC side, not the DC side.

So like this. This is two strings in parallel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Careful though Phil on the max voltage. Normally it's about 600v and 13 panels will have you knocking in and about that.

Have a look tomorrow, or even at todays telemetry and see what your voltages maxed out at.

Bear in mind though that on cold days, the voltage will most likely be higher.

One string already at 13 panels and going fine. Checked the max before expanding the garage earlier in the year.

• Advertisement

Nice one - although it's temperature dependant too, so a cold sunny day in the middle of Feb/Mar could have you knocking about 600v. That's not to say don't do it, just be mindful of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Jaysus I didn't realise it was this easy. I left room for 5 panels across 3 East and 2 west... bungalow so no scaffold needed. I guess mounting brackets are easy too? Tiles....

The tiles were indeed the most difficult part for me as a DIYer. But it's straight forward. Tiles are all lose and interlocking. You need to raise up the tiles above and to the side of a tile, allowing you to push it up under the one above it, fix the bracket to the roof timber (I have a trussed roof), then pull the roof tile back down into place.

@DrPhilG you should maybe just add another small 3kW size inverter connected to panels on a simple wooden frame out in a field ? Or build a metal frame with unistrut.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭kieran26

Just to update this in case anyone has aa similar issue, the Installer called out this morning and was on to Solis while he was in the house. The issue couldn't be resolved through technical support so he swapped out the Inverter. Back up and running agian now.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Bif

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Did you get a further update along with this info or does this apply to A10032?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭silver_sky

Do you mean the discharge or the import/export bounce?

The discharge is a feature now on newer versions. I saw on the Solis group someone with 3A0030 had it, so I guess yours is just before that came in? A1 was apparently a special version to reduce the discharging as it was too severe.

On the import/export jumping around overnight, this is a separate issue. They changed some parameters but it doesn't appear to have made a difference. It swings between 2-300W import & export all night.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭paulbok

I'm hoping someone can help me make sense of the battery readings off the Solis cloud app.

I would have assumed that the monthly in/out power to the battery would be the same, give or take a full battery charge at the start of the month. Eg for July, 168kwh went into charging, yet I got 224kwh out.

Including the total consumption, production,imports and exports figures with those battery figures, they do balance out, so I'm obviously not reading something right. Can anyone help me get my head around it?

The key I think is in the use of the words "Generation" and "Consumption". Basically generation graph is where your solar panel energy went, some of that went into the battery, but of course you probably also charged the battery from the grid? That wouldn't be included there, but it would be included in the "Consumption"

Guessing a little.

That did cross my mind, but I've never setup any charging off the grid, don't even know where those settings are,

I'll have to get the password for the advance settings menu off the installer, probably in there.

Advanced menu password on a Solis is defaulted as 0010

When I check as per that video, Optimal Income was set to Stop, so grid charging was off?

Holy flock, SSE just announced a 35% electricity rise from October, other suppliers to follow apparently.

If all do follow with similar, then that would be roughly 1.5-2 years knocked off my system payback. will have gone from an estimated 8.5-9 years from day of install, to 5-5.5 years by end of the 1st year with all the increases.

hmmmm.....wondering if FIT prices will follow suit and rise by 35%?! - LOL

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Did you see the UK prices announced for this Winter!! £3.5k now the typical annual cost

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-58090533

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

The UK

How the hell can this happen with zero regulation?

Companies making 75% increases on profits while also announcing 3 or 4 price increases in a year and standing charges surging past €1 a day.

It's surely not sustainable?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭silver_sky

They've now updated my inverter again to the latest version 3D0032. Said that's all they can do. Will see how it goes...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,817 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Hi lads. Just got this reply back from our architect today regarding going with solar panels (hidden v roof - faces directly south). It's an old house built in the 1880's that needs a complete overhaul. Scaffold is going to be up for roof repairs anyway so I don't see why it shouldn't be done now. Any ideas?

"I also discussed the solar panels with him. He is advising that we just allow for a future connection for PV Panels when the technology has improved and the panels can provide more energy. Currently, your roof will only fit 4-6panels which will not heat the water for showers as you need 3kw for this, which is equivalent to 14-16 panels. He is of the opinion that current installation of solar panel systems is a box ticking exercise for suppliers and a way to make money without the real benefit to the client. This is something to consider as there is money saving here".

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Uuurgh, architect needs to go and actually learn about pv. You don't need 3kw to heat water, the immersion diverters can vary the amount of power going to the immersions depending on your excess.

Get the mounts on for the rails now, and possibly the panels too when doing the roof. 6 panels, say 380w are 1.1m X 1.7m, 400 w ones are a bit bigger but might suit.

The house will be eligible for the Seai grant too btw!. Try the solar as a service guys. Small setups are right up the alley.

6 panels is 2.2kw of panels . that will take care of a good chunk of your base electrical load. And either a) export for a FIT or B) immersion diverter and heat your hot water

TLDR now's the best time to fit the mounts and rails. Architect doesn't actually know how the panels actually work if he's giving that advice now....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,817 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

She!!

Thank you so much for your help. We're finalising costs, spec etc. I don't understand why they don't fill the south facing roof. To be fair to her that was the info she got back from the M+E contractors. Doesn't fill me with confidence if she's recommending them.

Just to add, 2.2kwp south facing, 35degree slope, should generate 2100ish kwh.

Let's estimate 30% export with a fit of 15c (middle of the road from the announced rates) and 70% self use.

70% is 1470kwh at 25c /kwh is about 367/yr

30% is 630kwh at 15c is 95

Your chatting about a saving of €462/yr

25c/kwh is currently quite conservative right now...

Builders like what they know and know what they like, it’s not like they have any sort of CPD, just want to do what they did last time….

• Advertisement

Damn I thought I was careful with pronouns, that one slipped out!

Sounds like they don't want the bother. I've watched the roofers do our slate (artificial) and if your redoing/working on the roof, it makes life so much easier, no fishing out nails etc just laid down part of the roof.

Once the rails are on putting the actual panels on is the quick bit.

Advertisement