Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Joyce another win or maybe two away from a huge fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,614 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I’m going with Parker and Ortiz for upsets at HW for their bouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,329 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

this is a good review of the fight from peter

The internet isn’t for everyone

I think it's great for the division now that the likes of AJ, Wilder and Whyte all have losses in their last few fights.

Hopefully they'll all have a little less to lose now and that might lead to some good fights.

And hopefully we get Fury Usyk.

I think wilder Aj will be a good scrap and it’s a hard one for me to call but I’d have to side with wilder, his gas tank seems to go on forever and just when you think he’s done he’s back swinging that big hand if his

• Advertisement

There seems to be some myth about Wilder’s gas tank. In his last fight he was out on his feet after 4 rds.

Yes, he hung on, but he was exhausted all the way to the end. I’d like to see a fight where he showed a solid gas tank? Where he was fresh and fluid and composed while under pressure in a high paced fight…

Maybe vs Ortiz a few years ago he was, but other than this I am not seeing a great tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,346 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Usyk v Fury on Dec 17 being planned apparently.

One day before the World Cup Final.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Good god, what a christmas present that would be.....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

When fury beats usyk, thats it, retire as one of the greatest to do it, nothing more needs to be done, why give eddie hearn and that weirdo joshua a payday, only fools would suggest he needs aj for his legacy to be intact. Him and maricano only heavyweight champs to retire undefeated, quite an impressive feat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,752 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

AJ & Hearn won't take the Wilder fight no chance in hell,

AJ would get KO'd and early ,

AJ v Joyce would be a great fight for both & i reckon both think they can win it,

AJ would see himself as favourite and for the money Joyce will defiantly take the fight,

• Registered Users Posts: 12,346 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Has there been a fight where his gas tank has been poor ?

Against Fury he took a beating and still stayed up , it was his gas tank that kept him in it,

Against Ortiz he showed a great tank,

In Fury 1 his gas tank was fine , dropped Fury in 12th with a cracking explosive shot ,

Stiverne he was fine for 12

He has loads of knock outs later on in fights off the top of my head Ortiz, Molina, Duhaupas , Szpika ,Almost Fury ,

Not saying his tank is poor, but folks implying it's brilliant. It absoluetly is NOT. He was banjoed in fight 2 and 3 vs. Fury. Tired early and exhausted and hanging on

I asked when (in a fast paced fight) has he looked fresh, composed and fluid? Only v Ortiz (which wasn't manic) did he appear to show good stamina.

So, looking fresh and fine in fights that you are clearly in control doesn't equal having this amazing gas tank. It's when you are under pressure in a high paced fight that your gas tank is proven, or not proven.

Stiverne fights not at all count here....

Hanging on and looking vey ragged and tired does not indicate that you have an amazing gas tank!

i dont recall anyone saying wilder was amazing with his gas tank but the beating he took against fury and to keep coming back was crazy, he looked tired and ragged from round one thats just how he is but he kept fighting

His gas tank goes on forever was what I responded to. I kind of took that to mean he has a great gas tank.

I don’t think he has. Only Fury really put him under pressure in the theee fights (more so fights 2 and 3) and both times he was exhausted.

I’d be looking at the likes a Usyk, and even Fury as HWs with reliable and solid gas tanks.

yes fury and usyk are unreal engine wise and nobody else will be testing them before they retire

But at the same time the only time he has looked tired is the 2 times he took a hell of a beating,

Now I'm no genius but i reckon the hell of the beating was the problem and not his gas tank ,

In Fury 1 his corner pulled him out, in Fury 2 her just kept going, I think that indicates a good gas tank he never quit & he kept fighting ,

Personally I think its incorrect label Wilder as not having a reliable or solid gas tank ,

But as I said, looking banjoed after few rds and not being able to fight fluidly and composed due to exhaustion/tiredness is just not a reliable gas tank.

He was that tired in fights 2 and 3. Vast majority his other fights not really relevant, as he was knocking people out.

If I was grading him I’d be giving him a 7/10 for stamina. Fury getting a 9, Usyk possibly a 10.

He wasn't just banjoed after a few rounds though was he, He was getting absolutely pasted that why he looked tired,

He's had 45 fights and he been exhausted in 2 , only because there the 2 he got the crap beat of of him,

So lets say he stayed down the first time in both them fights & never got up , Would you then you'd say he has a good gas tank ?? because you would have zero fights where he looked tired ?

He was fine for 12 in Fury 1 & against even Ortiz he was dropped hard and still was fine ,

For example we are yet to see Usyk take multiple real big shots, so if Fury lands heavy on him early multiple times & Usyk somehow stumbles through 5 or 6 rounds to reach the final bell will you call his gas tank poor ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Butson

Fury out shite talking again today saying that if the likes of Saudi don't confirm a site fee in the next 7 days the fight is off.

Yes, it only takes a week to organise these things.

contract offer and proof of funds doesnt take long to organise considering they are talking about a December fight date, he is probably just bored and wants to start training while netflix are around filming

Fight 3 after 3/4 rds he was exhausted. And Fury didn’t paste him them rds. Wilder was exhausted, as much from his own work.

Fight 2 he was very tired as well, and it lasted 7/8 rds tops.

He is not a super fit HW. His stamina is average to good..

Wilder was already knocked down and taking big shots in round 3 And round 4 and 5 he was grand,

Wilder was drugged and wore a heavy suit in fight 2 so what do you expect :) , Joking ,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

must watch fight 3 again through my fingers. He was looking out on his feet after 2 I thought and then rallied really well whatever round he put Fury down twice. By the 11th it was a very hard watch but he fairly is spirited. More heart than stamina though for me

Yes. Heart to keep up. But from very early he was blowing hard and was exhausted.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭reclose

I’d deffo say it was great heart rather than gas tank in the last two Fury fights for Wilder.

I’d like Fury or Usyk to clean out the division before being considered great.

Talk of Fury going down as one of the best is far too premature.

Good win over a past his best Klitschko who had looked poor in his previous fight. Denied him a rematch.

Great wins over Wilder who has no noteworthy wins himself.

Plenty more work to be done to be considered great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

I did laugh out loud at the part where he replied to the presenter when he asked that he really wanted 500 mill from the Saudis.

'Sure they offered that tiger woods fella a billion recently'

And 'so you'll fight him in Saudi, on Dec 17th if the moneys there?'

I'll paste him in his front garden in Ukraine if the moneys there 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

I agree. Fantastic heart considering he knew he’d been outclassed in the first fight and battered in the second. He was petrified in that first round throwing the jab at Fury’s gut.

if Fury were to beat Usyk would that be the clean up complete? I think Usyk would go down as a great we’re he to win that. Fury maybe still no. But I can’t think of anyone who is a real challenge for him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

If fury fights usyk and beats him there is nothing left for him to do, regardless of what you think of what’s around him he has to be an all time great heavyweight

Advertisement