Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭Hoboo

I told you my sources, American professors of international policy. None are Russian. None of its propoganda its from US university faculties. It’s called Realism. I have yet to hear a reason why Russia couldn’t and wouldn’t flatten Kiev with a barrage of missiles if they wanted to. It’s a simple question, the answer to which is the mighty Ukraine warriors drove them back. It’s nonsensical rubbish. If you understood the last 20 years in Ukraine you’d understand WHY they don’t want Kiev. But the man on the telly doesn’t go back that far so you’re screwed.

I know it’s hard to conceive our own would dupe us, but they’ve very much succeeded. Ignorance is bliss as they say, keep listening to the telly, west goodies, Russians baddies 👍😂.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭Hoboo

I love these comments. What the poster said is basic but factually true, and that’s the best reply you can come up with for a few likes because you haven’t a clue what they’re referring to. Try. Not harder. Just try.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,658 ✭✭✭storker

One of those you quoted basically laid the blame for the war on NATO and the EU. Straight from the Book of Kremlin Propaganda Chapter 1 verse 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭zv2

I heard it mentioned that the Russians are concentrating on mass producing hypersonic rockets. This sounds like they're saying if they lose the land war they will attack from a distance. Time for the west to mass produce cruise missiles.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

The poster said the media are giving the war unnecessary attention. That certainly is not factually true.

The western public need and deserve to know what kind of monsters the Russians are, that they are prepared to invade a neighbouring country, kill thousands of people, rape women and steal children. All of these things have happened this year and we're lucky enough to have a free press that informed us of it.

• Advertisement

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭victor8600

One poster said that "russians could have levelled Kiev with rockets if they wanted". No, they could not. Rockets are a very inefficient way to level a city. One 150mm mortar gun battery can deliver more explosives on target in 15 minutes than 100 rockets, and do it faster and at a fraction of the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,407 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I agree with you on that point. Ignorance is bliss. You must be living a very happy life so!

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Its nothing to do with what the man on the telly says. Its called critical thinking rather than just taking things you hear as fact.

We all seen the long convoys of military equipment approaching Kiev, and the amount of manpower they put into it. Russia was not going to expend all of that for some kind of feint.

Russia had no intention of flattening Kiev, the objective was clearly to try and displace the government and set up their own regime. You have been told this many times but keep coming back to the same line about Russia could flatten Kiev anytime they wanted.

You keep going on about all of us being duped by our own media. Have you ever thought for one second that maybe you are the one being duped?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,497 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Your are right they did not want Kiev.......they wanted Kyiv

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

You do know that Russia wanted to occupy Kiev and re-install their puppet and not just "flatten" it dont you? And they failed miserably. Repelled by a few drones and anti tank weapons. What a force they have! Suddenly the useful idiots are all "sure they never wanted to go to Kiev at all and are achieving their goals. 6 months in and they dont have secure control of anything the didnt already have before the invasion. Those additional areas they do occupy are not secure my any means, and the areas they already controlled are coming under increasing threat. But glorious mother Russia is showing the world whats what eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,497 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

He is not being duped. He just another Russian bot who thinks that we should all bend the knee to Putin

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

I wouldn’t be as as confident as you that Ukraine won’t take Donbas and Crimea, their sheer determination and NATOs backup will not weaken. Putins regime will come under more and more pressure the longer this goes on and will eventually collapse.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

@Hoboo American professors of international policy.

The very intelligent one who made a statement that American was getting ready to confront china ,

Hardly a shocking finding

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

My concern at 6 months in is that the Yanks have provided Ukraine with the kit to hold up the Russians in the hope that the Russians lose enough resources to call it a day. This is a poor return on investment when you consider the Yanks don't have an endless supply of this kit as it wasn never intended to be used in isolation as it is in Ukraine. My guess is the Yanks are actually afraid of giving the Ukranians the ability to soundly beat the Russians out in case Vlad **** the bed and reaches for the instant sunshine button

When it runs out they better have a better plan or Ukraine is back where they started

Also, ze Germans back to being the greatest internal threat to Europe, can we not just kick them out of Western civilisation at this stage? Better off without 'em

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Economics101

Would one of your sources be Prof John Mearsheimer of Yale? His "blame NATO/the West" position on Ukraine is well-known and has been very heavily criticised by others in the academic community and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,516 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Western supporters of Putin tend to be your cranks and conspiracy theorists. They firmly believe they have special information about what has been 'really' going on in Ukraine for the last decade but think that their compatriots are too dense to see it.

The rest of them would be the far right and far left, with their hatred of NATO and 'western imperialism' etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭20silkcut

I fully believed when this war started that Russia would crush Ukraine in a matter of weeks that Moldova would be long since swallowed and that the war would now be currently in the baltics or Romania. Why would they start such a war if they could not make such swift gains? ??Whether you believe western propaganda or Russian propaganda it is pretty clear that definitely has not happened. Aggressors need to be making large gains. Hitler sent Germans into ecstasy after the fall of France in 1940. Galvanising support for his madness. Putin needed massive territorial gains to attract allies and increase his support at home. He failed miserably on that. Now he is stuck in this second gear operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Darth Putin

In last 6 months we had (in no particular order of awfulness and pure barbaric evil):

* murder of civilians, including multiple times caught on camera

* rape of women, men and children

* kidnapping of kids

* destruction of hundreds of billions in property

* deliberate starvation to force refugees to get Russian passports

* deliberate attempt to cause millions of refugees to flee to Europe

* using prisoners for sweeping mines

* castrating a prisoner

* beheading prisoners

* sexually abusing prisoners especially females

* deliberate shelling of schools and hospitals and other clearly civilian infrastructure

* disturbing Chernobyl ground and deliberately using a nuclear plant as shield to hide in

* wholesale looting of private property

* deliberately trying start a famine in other countries impacting the poorest

* deliberately trying to destroy European economies and break contracts

* creation of multiple concentration camps

but hey, relax bro! There is nothing to see as Russians started this 8 years ago, get back to normal programming

we are totally not witnessing the actions of a neo fascist regime trying to outdo the evils of 1930s and 40s with extremely barbaric atrocities carried out almost daily.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

But Olaf Scholz forgets they were told 25+ years ago they were candidates for nato membership,

Germany has questions to answer on who knew what and when when it came to putins plan to invade

• Advertisement

Good thread from a military / political analyst on where we are six months on, especially with a view on the geopolitical situation. In short, she believes the war has been an unmitigated disaster for Russia's standing in the world - everything that could possibly go wrong, has gone wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

You nailed it there, I’ve met two of them and tbh I did not know what to say to them (not like me at all) oh they definitely felt they had the inside track on it and lost me with their convoluted explanations. I changed conversation quickly as there felt no point in perusing.

@Hoboo will be along shortly to explain that this interpretation is completely down to watching BBC and that therefore they have conclusively proved that Russia is doing great

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭greenpilot

Zelensky's independence day speech,

https://youtu.be/i0IIKa3B1z4

Kyiv is older than Moscow and is considered to be the mother city of the Slavic/Russian people. They would be destroying part of their own history and culture. This would not go down well with many Russians.

Post edited by zv2 on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,058 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I think if they are genuine Irish people, they tend mostly to come from the ranks of America = BAD, NATO = BAD. And they see everything through this lens. So if any particular person, political figure or state is even vaguely Anti American or Anti NATO, they jump in behind them in quick order.

You can try and talk with them about Russia invading a neighbour's territory or the destruction of people and property - but quick as a flash, it's all 'if NATO hadn't done this' or 'NATO hadn't done that', 'if Obama or Biden or whoever hadn't done this it'd all be fine'.. At end of the day, you just have to walk away.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Darth Putin

This is a huge problem for Russia

Once they played their card and Russian gas is no longer / barely used by its biggest customers

Then what?

* There are no pipelines nor hundreds of billions in investment over years to build one to China

* Can’t build one to India as it would have to go thru Pakistan or China both of whom hate India

* Can’t export much by ship as these are either busy elsewhere, can’t get insured, or prevented leaving by ice, ironically can’t use warm water ports on Black Sea as those would be nice big flammable targets 😂

And not just gas, oil is on trajectory to be almost stopped being used in a few months

edit: more on Germany

Interesting snippet is that Lukashenko congratulated the Ukrainian people on their Independence Day and said he wished to have 'good relations' with the country in future. Distancing himself from the tyrant in the Kremlin perhaps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,658 ✭✭✭storker

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement