Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Texas School shooting 19 children and 2 adults murdered

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Go recheck your facts. His mother didn't provide the firearm.

I never said Rittenhouse didn't cross state lines. Again, there's no law against crossing state lines in the manner Rittenhouse did. If you look back you'll see that I was responding to the statement that he was chased or had chased someone across state lines.

Rittenhouse did obey local laws, the court case proved that. He was found not guilty. The only ones in the Rittenhouse situation breaking local laws are the BLM looters and rioters and those who attacked Rittenhouse.

So, just to be clear, if I was a shop owner in the US and you saw a looter trying to set fire to my shop during a riot, you'd be p1ssed off with me for trying to stop them? Glad to know that you are on the looters side.

Even if not one more gun was sold in the US from today, there are still well over 400,000,000 guns in circulation over there. Most of these guns, if minded properly will still work in 100 years time. This problem isn't going away any time soon.

I own 8 guns here in Ireland, am I a gun nut? Just asking if you'd put me in that bracket. Don't worry, I won't be offended by your answer.

But that's the situation they are faced with in some areas of the US, especially when a riot is going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭giftfromthegods

I'm glad to see you believe that there is a certain element of personal responsibility to look after your own safety.

I agree.

If I was entering a riot zone to defend businesses and a town, and it was legal for me to open carry, damn right I would.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

And do you think having legally armed civilians makes riots better or worse?

There are riots in other countries, how do they cope?

Do you think it would be easier for police if there were fewer guns at riots? I dont believe there are too many drug lords bringing their guns to riots, far more are just joe soaps who happen to be armed.

Yep, and it stops right before the point where you endanger others.

It depends on the situation. It can help in some situations and make it worse in others. A row of armed civilians like in the photo I posted above can help protect an area from destruction during a protest or a riot. The building that Rittenhouse and the other armed guys were protecting earlier in the night didn't get burned down while many of the unprotected businesses got burned down.

It's possible that if Rittenhouse hadn't been armed, he might have been assaulted or killed, most likely by Joseph Rosenbaum. Joseph Rosenbaum is on video threatening Rittenhouse earlier in the night. Later that night he attempted to assault Rittenhouse and ended up getting his wings for his stupid actions.

We can argue all day and night about 'but what if Rittenhouse wasn't there, he shouldn't have been there etc. etc.'. Fact is he was there, legally. Fact is he was there armed, legally. Fact is that he shot the three people in self defence. Fact is that he was probably stupid for being there armed but being stupid isn't a crime.

I live in Ireland so it does seem strange that the police would ask for help from armed civilians. I can't really imagine any scenario here in Ireland where that would happen. But this happened in America, and their culture is vastly different to our own therefore they have their own rules. Like it or not, they set their own rules and being armed in certain situations is fine by their rules.

I'm not 100% sure what I'd do. I'd probably do the same and go try protect my business. I suppose it depends on the size of the riot. If there's an overwhelming chance that I'd be killed defending my business, I think I might have second thoughts about trying to defend my business. But everyone to their own.

Not too sure myself.

But I do think that if I knew there was going to be gangs of shitheads who were intent causing destruction to a place where people who I cared about lived, I would do whatever it took to defend them and their town.

But hey, Rittenhouse, apart from those seconds where he pulled a trigger was mostly peaceful, if we apply some peoples logic

• Advertisement

Sorry? Your personal responsibility to look after your safety ends if the second you may cause harm to others? Even the people attacking you?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,347 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Months after some kids were murdered the talk is all protecting property and law suits. That’s what the gun lobby like to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

If you matched up to a store dyring the Dublin riots a few years ago with the intention of shooting looters going into Foot Locker i would call you a gun nut and homicidal. If gun enthusiasts kept their guns at home, no one would care. But marching through the streets with an assault rifle for either a political rally or to dissuade criminals would make you look nuts.

I guess "help" depends on if you think saving buildings at the cost of lives is better than the alternative.

I dont believe a civilian shot and killed anyone at the burned down buildings. Who decides which is the better outcome?

I'd argue is far more likely that Rittenhouse wouldnt have gone near the place if he was unarmed. I'd also argue that he was less likely to be attacked if he was unarmed.

Again and again you fall back on the legality of the situation, despite time and time again people agreeing that while it was/is legal, thats not the bloody point!

As a responsible gun owner here in Ireland, I'm going to obey the law. I'd also advocate that all other gun owners here in Ireland do the same. So therefore I wouldn't march up to a Foot Locker in Dublin with the intention of shooting looters as it would be against the law.

I would absolutely not march through the streets here in Ireland with my guns on show for any reason, let alone a political rally or to dissuade criminals as to do so here in Ireland is illegal.

Would I arm myself and stand as part of a militia in the US protecting businesses from looters if I was a US citizen, I probably would if it was legal and it is legal in many parts of the US. And militias don't set out to shoot looters, they are there as a deterrent. Rittenhouse got attacked because he became detatched from the other militia members. Nobody would have attacked Rittenhouse if he had 10 or 20 fully armed militia members with him.

Looters aren't stupid. They aren't going to attack a building with 20 or so armed militia protecting it, they'll move off and find something easier to attack.

I would say looters are pretty stupid, risking a criminal record for a pair of runners in the case of the Dublin riots and you could see in London a lot of criminals were arrested even months after the riots with some being professionals like teachers that lost their jobs. Rittenhouse showed that those protecting the businesses could be stupid too. The police should not have promoted the idea of outside parties coming to the area with guns and very little professional training or experience. If things were so bad the should have got the national guard in.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,464 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Rittenhouse got attacked because he became detatched from the other militia members. Nobody would have attacked Rittenhouse if he had 10 or 20 fully armed militia members with him.

So, Rittenhouse was a member of militia? So what? I doubt that was proven - which one? He just rocked up with a gun looking to 'defend' businesses with which he had no relationship. And, Rittenhouse obviously isn't very bright. Too bad no one noticed before gifting him a gun.

Neither you nor I know what migh've happened that night. It was chaotic - chaotic enough that the Kenosha PD offered some assistance to Rittenhouse (bottled water as i recall).

Being in a militia doesn't justify or legalize shooting people. It's just tough guy cosplay. Several of them are illegal or in serious deep trouble with the USG (e.g., Proud Boys, Oathkeepers, Boogaloo's)...

So Rittenhouse would have been safe if there were even more people with guns? What if the people attacking his militia were greater in number, with even bigger guns?

It prefer a young man defending businesses and neighbourhoods (where people he cared about lived) than leaving it to violent thugs to have their way with.

That mostly peaceful summer of love was a strange time where prominent political and famous figures were actively encouraging the riots and at the same time deriding the police force so it was absolutely necessary for residents and people close to them to defend themselves and their towns in a legal manner against thugs and not be able to rely on police to protect them.

I see no reason to label him not bright.

Maybe my use of the word militia is not 100% correct or maybe it is. There are many definitions of what a militia is. Here's one definition from https://www.yourdictionary.com/militia

The definition of a militia is an army made up of regular citizens called to respond during an emergency.

Don't forget that the cops sent out a request for citizens to help them during the riots (emergency).

Also, and I want to make this 100% clear, Rittenhouse didn't shoot anybody because he was part of a militia, he shot people because they were actively attacking him while he retreated.

• Advertisement

Yep, more than likely Rittenhouse would have been safe if he didn't get detatched from the group of armed people he was with earlier. Easy to attack one person on their own, but it's a much different prospect attacking someone when they are with a group of heavily armed people.

I'm going to ignore your stupid last sentence.

That's an important distinction that seems to be lost on most

Why is it stupid? You believe that more guns makes people safe, I'm asking the logical question of there that idea stops? There will always be someone else with more guns.

If Rittenhouse has 25 people and get a gang of 250 people then he wouldn't have been any safer.

He went to a riot without any formal training or experience in dealing with these sorts of situations. To label him not too bright is being charitable. If you have a gun on you you have to be willing to use it. In the la riots a few years ago you had mothers and children looting stores. He put himself in a situation where he might had to shoot a looter.

Yeah, he was just a poor, casual observer caught up in the whole thing...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,464 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

But, you don't know this is was a certainty Especially since he pretty much wandered around brandishing his weapon (illegal in many states.) The moron was looking for a challenge. And yes, he's not bright - if you don't want to get shot at, don't go to a riot waving your weapon. Without any body armor as far as the photos show. Stay home.

But, this thread is not about Kyle Rittenhouse (my fault for mentioning his name earlier on.) It's about Uvalde and the massacre there.

I think you mean "where he might get to shoot a looter"...

I didn't say more guns make people safe. I'm saying that in specific circumstances, more guns can help make people safe. And Rittenhouse being with a large group of armed people is one instance where it would possibly have made him safer. None of the large group got attacked because there were a lot of them. I wonder why that was? The only one to get attacked was Rittenhouse, and then only when he got detatched from the group and was on his own.

You are talking about an imaginary scenario that isn't likely to happen, i.e. 250 armed rioters against a militia of 25 armed people. That's an instance where he wouldn't be safer. But your scenario didn't happen. I'm talking about a scenario that did happen. There's a difference.

• Advertisement

He did.

At a time where there were gangs of thugs and looters attacking cities indiscriminately and the police are hamstrung and inept, he was still willing to defend the town and provide first aid to the people he was defending the town against.

He did have a gun on him. And he was willing to use it if necessary. It was. And he used it. In self defense.

Advertisement