Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Dazler97

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭PCros

It seemed to turn right immediately after take-off – will this be normal procedure?

It was DAA planning. Im glad it was FR, at least there a proper Irish airline.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭xper

yes. See FR24 thread for link to new 28R SID charts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,732 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

They both employ significant numbers of people in Ireland and pay Irish taxes.

This constant dribble about one being more Irish than the other is really ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭moonshy2022

There was no question mark, therefore it’s a statement not a question. I replied and you said “Yes it is hahah :)”. Again not a question.

You got the replies based on what you asked. I cannot answer stuff you haven’t asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,769 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

No your Apple example is off the mark as Aer Lingus aren’t an entity within IAG, they are a self sustained company who are owned by IAG. (Ironically Aer Lingus UK is a Belfast based “entity” of Aer Lingus Ltd)

EI are an Irish company founded, registered and headquartered here, the ownership of IAG has no bearing on that whatsoever. Guinness aren’t English are they? Or Jameson French?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,443 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

17 years since planning permission was granted..

324 million in costs...to get it designed, planned and built.

Great to see it operational and what not but there is something so irish about all the above...

One day.. a significant capital project will be planned and built to spec, to budget and in a reasonable timeframe..resulting in hospital morgues full of people whom having heart attacks at the idea....

I know there were some appeals to permission being granted but... jeez

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

Aer Lingus is a subsidiary of IAG who are HQ’d in London. Ryanair has their global HQ in Dublin. Do you disagree with that?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Ownership of and/or opinions of the 2 main Irish airlines isn't relevant to this discussion.

Anymore comments will result in a short holiday from A&A

Post edited by Tenger on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,232 ✭✭✭plodder

Shot from the tower shown on RTE 1:00 news. Plenty there to witness it.

Apparently a similar runway in Melbourne is planned to cost over a billion Oz dollars. So maybe it’s worth it. 3rd runway for Heathrow is priced at £14bn as of a few years ago.

Yes it’s taken far too long and that’s sadly yet again politicians at fault. Decisions are made based purely on votes. Hence why we have no Metro or Cork to Limerick road etc etc. Until those decisions are taken out of their hands we will always be decades behind where we should be.

Right well i obviously forgot to add it in 🙄🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

Will northern runway allow simultaneous take off and landing with the existing one handling landings and the new one handling take off?

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Astral Nav

A single rapid exit on each end, aircraft are not deemed clear of the runway until actually on the parallel taxiway and not simply across the yellow exit line as on 28L. No bypass or multi holding points and the single point the do have is well back from the actual runway. Not built for an efficient operation, it's as if the DAA were being a bit Scrounge.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,672 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Out of interest and asking as a layperson, what is the significance of the new runway on a practical level? Does it mean extra flights (and increased passenger numbers) per day or simply faster turnaround times for existing flights?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,427 ✭✭✭prunudo

The media will have you believe its to allow A380s and 747s use the airport. In reality it will help with day to day operations. Reduce taxiing times from certain parts of the airport, allow closer slots while not mixing take offs and landings on same runway.

Essentially yes. It’s improves runway efficiency and throughout(capacity).

however

All of this is only worthwhile if you follow through and improve everything else to support and increased flow of traffic.

i) taxiways

ii) RETs

iii) line up points

iv) ramp access

v) stand numbers

vi) staff numbers to increase passenger flows in everything direction necessary

vii) handling agent staff

otherwise all you will get is congestion getting to and from the runways and aircraft waiting for long periods of time to get on to stand.

at the moment the airport is improving taxiways which should have been in place ready to go for today. Next they will increase the number of stands and piers (two planned).

before eventually looking west for a new terminal. I imagine they are delaying as long as possible the need to engage the McEvaddy brothers for their land.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I'd actually say the opposite... this was planned well before the 17 years and was delivered basically without a fuss. They had been slowly buying up the land for years as far as I know. 300million for a new airport runway is incredibly cheap thesedays. 14 billion for Heathrow, thats roughly 42 TIMES as much. Credit where credit is due, I think DAA did a very, very good job building it.

It could be a bit longer and there was a small bit of penny pinching. And the rest of the airport is a disaster, but anyway.

It was the most tracked flight in the world on Flightradar too. Did anyone on here find out in enough time which flight would be the first, and then book last minute tickets? Cos I sure as hell would have.

And, for posterity...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Heathrow can only dream of as efficient a process.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭rameire

Next Plane about to depart on the New runway. FR8556

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭rameire

And another Fr6016.

its all starting now.

Looks like they are pushing all departures to the new runway now.

BA and United are on the way.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Suvarnabhumi

BA to London City heading to the new runway now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

UAL22 just asked ATC to confirm that he will be the first heavy to depart from 28R. He also used the full length, lining up from N1, which is east of the displaced threshold.

Post edited by EchoIndia on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Is it because they're able to land so many now on 28L without gaps that there's quite the queue to cross RWY34 to the terminals? Or is that a normal mid-morning queue for a stand?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

“One day.. a significant capital project will be planned and built to spec, to budget and in a reasonable timeframe..resulting in hospital morgues full of people whom having heart attacks at the idea....”

I’d point to Luas Crosscity project as a very complicated project that was delivered on budget and ahead of schedule!

Of course you could rightfully argue it should have been delivered as part of the original Luas Red and Green line projects and would have been but for political interference.

The other Luas extension projects, along with tram lengthening project have all been executed smoothly, on time and budget without any issues.

Many of the intercity motorway projects were also similarly delivered without much issue.

Once the politicians get out of the way, I’d argue we are really good at delivering major infrastructure projects these days. I think in fairness to them both, TII and DAA have a pretty good track record for delivering major projects now.

Advertisement