Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst Concert Experience

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,544 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I was really young when this happened but my mam, aunt, myself and a few friends got free tickets to a concert in Marlay Park many years ago. It was organised by a radio station in Dublin. As far as I know, The concert had acts like U2, Boyzone, Westlife, B*witched and Spice Girls were all due to perform there at the venue.

But as soon it we came there for one day only. The venue that was due to open on that particular Sunday was closed down as it ****ing waterlogged. A security guard was there at the entrance of the venue was redirecting ticket holders to actually go home for the day as the whole concert was cancelled.

What a right waste of time to go there. We didn't even know beforehand that it was ****ing waterlogged in the 1st place.

My favourite act out of that line-up is U2. But alas; I still never got to see any of their concerts. Maybe I will get tickets if I'm lucky next time round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭Stranger Danger

I'd also put in a shout for the Chill Peppers, Pixies and Thrills gig in the Phoenix Park as a truly atrocious event.

First off The Thrills - never bought into the hype that surrounded them back at the time, bunch of chancers I thought and I have been subsequently proved right.

Pixies, probably the band that have influenced my musical tastes more than any other. I was so excited to be going to see them live. Then they appeared on stage, sound was ropey, atmosphere was terrible and the band didn't really look like they wanted to be there. So disappointing.

The layout of the venue was terrible as well. Stage up front. Bar in middle and toilets at rear. If you were at the stage and needed a piss you had to manoeuvre through the people queuing for a pint to get to the toilets and do the same on the way back. I went for a piss at one stage and it must have taken me about 25 minutes to get back to where I was.

The RHCP were awful that day too.

boyzone....

I am not a girl :o

Oxymoron, tbf :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Valentina wrote: »
    I thought Pixies were great. Never thought I'd get to see them live.

I missed The Thrills though and left as soon as Pixies went off stage so missed RHCP too :pac:
    the pixies were savage that day....barely noticed the chilis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I was really young when this happened but my mam, aunt, myself and a few friends got free tickets to a concert in Marlay Park many years ago. It was organised by a radio station in Dublin. As far as I know, The concert had acts like U2, Boyzone, Westlife, B*witched and Spice Girls were all due to perform there at the venue.

But as soon it we came there for one day only. The venue that was due to open on that particular Sunday was closed down as it ****ing waterlogged. A security guard was there at the entrance of the venue was redirecting ticket holders to actually go home for the day as the whole concert was cancelled.

What a right waste of time to go there. We didn't even know beforehand that it was ****ing waterlogged in the 1st place.

My favourite act out of that line-up is U2. But alas; I still never got to see any of their concerts. Maybe I will get tickets if I'm lucky next time round.
    what year was that? There is no way U2 were playing at that???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

That Tramore gig was brilliant :) I was backstage with Dylan, Jerry Lee and Van the Man , ended up falling in with a load of lads who seemed to order a truckfull of Jonny Jump Up.

Bob Dylan is renowned for iffy performances but i seen him a few times where he can easily be forgiven for the crap ones :)

Worst concert musically was Sultans of Ping in Empire Belfast , about 30 people there and your man was acting the bollox few people there was saying f+&k up and just play wheres your jumper , band walked off. Never seen a band do that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

Oh and AC/DC at punchestown , what a bloody great gig but the organisation was bordering on dangerous
    MCD had the contract

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Unearthly wrote: »
    Guns N Roses 2010 at O2.

Was actually very entertaining for the wrong reasons. Showed up an hour late, booing and whistles from the crowd, then bottles thrown, they left the stage, messages from security that concert was over, people getting angry, then they came back about an hour later to finish it.
    Anybody who buys a ticket for a Guns 'n' Roses gig deserves everything they get.

Why people bother with them these days when there are countless younger bands coming to Ireland regularly who are far more deserving of peoples money is beyond me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

bnt wrote: »
    Muse at Dublin Castle, May 2002. The band was very good, but it was a daytime gig, and so not as atmospheric as e.g. The Point in 2009. That wasn't the problem, however: I was at the front of the second section back, and some guys tried to turn it in to a moshpit. (Never mind that Muse is not a Metal band, and their music sounds better if you actively listen to it.) I got walloped several times, and had girls using me a human shield, unable to get out of the section due to the crowding.

I was at many Muse gigs around 2002 and all of them had mosh pits.
    Muse gigs used to be bonkers back in the day.
    Then the music went crap.

I challenge anybody to stand still when the Plug in Baby riff kicks in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,544 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

what year was that? There is no way U2 were playing at that???

I don't know about the year. I may have mixed U2 up with some other less known pop band. I think the station who was one of the organisers or sponsors may have been 98fm or something.

It is very strange though. The weather on that particular day was only overcast. No rain at all to speak of to ruin it whatsoever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

they are playing Dublin 23/24/27/28 November this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

Patww79 wrote: »
    Smashing Pumpkins, Point, some time around 1996/97. Someone was killed down the front early on.

Was at it too a real tragedy and unknown until after. Really sad to hear what happened and will never forget itit. Filter did support and they drove people wild and then Pumpkins came out and bedlam. I was well used to crazy gigs, moshing but the surge of people and lack of control was nuts. We used the ladies as our excuse and went back from the front.

Bit heavy for this thread methinks

Why do people always leave concerts before the encore when it's obvious the band are coming back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

R.E.M ardgillan,after queing ages to use a portaloo one finally was available,locked the door and turned around and there was a pair of sh*tty jeans on the ground,someone literally crapped themselves and just stepped out of them and left them there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Worst experience.

Idlewild at the Roadmender in Northampton, can't remember the year. They were due on at nine but because they were recording top of the pops that day they ended up arriving on stage after half eleven, entire crowd p*ssed and angry, so that made for a lovely ambience. The band were sh*t and my sister locked herself in the ladies toilets and wouldn't come out for nearly an hour, then when she did, she puked up everywhere imaginable. And I lost 20 quid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

Johnny Thunders at the New Inn (its all gone now) circa 1990 maybe. It was a total car crash as Johnny was totally out of his bin and could barely sit, let along play. Some of the Golden Horde tried their best to hold it together and back him but it was all in vain. So not a bad gig, just very sad and tragic. Saw him a couple of times in the TV Club (all gone too) and he was amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

I was at a gig and fairly squashed up against the barriers and this horrible man kept rubbing his erection into my arse. I was a fair bit younger and just too embarrassed to do anything (there was also a language barrier as I was in foreign). He finally moved on when my handbag blocked him. Actual boak.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

I recently attended a performance of Il Trovatore at Covent Garden, and I was appalled;the soprano singing Maria, Felice Di Salva, was a semi-tone off on most notes above high C, while the tenor , Olav Palmuski, while excellent on the high notes and in the mid-range, was noticeably weak on the bass register, and a poor actor to boot. As if this performance was not sufficiently unsatisfactory, our champagne at the interval was verging on flat, having been poured inexpertly, and the caviar hor-d'oeuvres were over-chilled.
    Oh, and my second worst experience was this time at Oxegen when some lads from Finglas set fire to my tent and pissed on my girlfriend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

I remembered another awful concert experience - Witnness, the second year it was held. My friend and I were camping and went to see Muse. They took ages to come out on stage and when they did the crowd surged forward. My friend and I got separated and I got knocked to the ground and crushed under 4 or 5 people. I just remember the pain in my legs thinking they were going to break and how if I died my mum would kill me. :o Thankfully someone pulled me out from the bottom but when I turned around to say thanks there was no one there.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

I just remember the pain in my legs thinking they were going to break and how if I died my mum would kill me. :o .

that sounds so irish :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Thankfully someone pulled me out from the bottom but when I turned around to say thanks there was no one there.

Ye were standing in an empty racecourse?

Freaky :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭kimokanto

Police Croke Park when they got back together for a brief tour. Can't remember year,maybe 2008/9. Pure sh**e. Unrecognisable from their previous quality. Leftfield at Body ' n Soul this year gick of the highest order, & only played for 40 mins. Thankfully discovered King Kong Company same festival which made up for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

kimokanto wrote: »
    Police Croke Park when they got back together for a brief tour. Can't remember year,maybe 2008/9.

I was there, 2007, the sound was shite, came through the tannoy where I was sitting and they wouldn't allow even plastic pints to be brought into the seats. Was horrendous in every aspect. Copeland seemed to be playing other songs as you could only recognize a song by the lyrics half the time. Tickets were quite expensive too from memory. Celtic tiger still had a few meows left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

My friend and I were camping ........

....Thankfully someone pulled me out from the bottom .

So, are you saying this was a good, or bad experience?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Anybody who buys a ticket for a Guns 'n' Roses gig deserves everything they get.

Why people bother with them these days when there are countless younger bands coming to Ireland regularly who are far more deserving of peoples money is beyond me.

Totally agree and It's not even Guns N Roses, they're only going to see Axl and he is a complete ****.

• Advertisement

Fugazi around '92 or '93 in the Ormond Hotel on the quays in Dublin.

The gig itself was great, but at the end of the night, instead of politely asking patrons to leave, the venue opened the back doors and released some sort of tear-gas/mace type thing into the venue.
    Suddenly everyone was coughing and spluttering their way towards the exits and out onto the footpath.

Looking back at it now, it seems an incredibly dangerous thing for a venue to do, not to mention completely scummy. If something like that happened now I'd probably call the Guards and see a solicitor the next morning, but at the time I was a teenager and there was almost an expectation that you would be treated like **** by venues like this.
    I remember asking a bouncer on the street why were they releasing tear gas like that inside the venue and he just looked at me and said 'What gas?' and started laughing with his mate.

Different times.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭huddlejonny

The gig itself was great, but at the end of the night, instead of politely asking patrons to leave, the venue opened the back doors and released some sort of tear-gas/mace type thing into the venue.
    Suddenly everyone was coughing and spluttering their way towards the exits and out onto the footpath.

Looking back at it now, it seems an incredibly dangerous thing for a venue to do, not to mention completely scummy. If something like that happened now I'd probably call the Guards and see a solicitor the next morning, but at the time I was a teenager and there was almost an expectation that you would be treated like **** by venues like this.
    I remember asking a bouncer on the street why were they releasing tear gas like that inside the venue and he just looked at me and said 'What gas?' and started laughing with his mate.

Different times.

They don't make bands like Fugazi anymore. Class act.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,498 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Another shout for Dylan in Galway in 04 - Just boring. Like looking at an old locked uncle who used to be able to sing in the 80's.

Followed closely by Van Morrison in Olympia.

Best was Rage against the machine in the 3 arena - only time that place has been like a proper concert venue (IMO)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

siblers wrote: »
    Totally agree and It's not even Guns N Roses, they're only going to see Axl and he is a complete ****.
    I'd only pay to see Axl Rose if he was an act in Fossett's Circus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

I thought Pixies were great. Never thought I'd get to see them live.

I missed The Thrills though and left as soon as Pixies went off stage so missed RHCP too :pac:

I went just to see the pixies and thought they were great, we were in the second pit so that helped. After they finished we went to the back to watch the chillis and the sound kept cutting out so we left along with what seemed like half the people there. I think a lot of people were there to see the pixies as it was there reunion tour and i thought they were awesome, but i'd say from further back with the crap sound it was much less enjoyable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭IrishAlice

Badly Drawn Boy in the Music Factory in Carlow.

What an absolute b€llend. He got annoyed because people weren't coming up to the front near the stage and stormed off. Then the promoters cajoled him back on by getting everyone to move up the front.

When he eventually came back on stage he abused the crowd into the ground and tried to throw his piano stool at a girl in the front.

Worst thing is I really liked him before seeing him live!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Different times.

Thats f*cking crazy, i mean Fugazi were big on encouraging promoters or local band running the gig to keep the cost down so that everyone would afford the money to see them and choose cheaper more unusual venues . They were pretty strict on the no moshing policy encase to minimise insurances claims etc.

Was the Ormond hotel a regular spot for gigs at the time?
    I'd say Fugazi were beyond livid over it

lbj666 wrote: »
    Thats f*cking crazy, i mean Fugazi were big on encouraging promoters or local band running the gig to keep the cost down so that everyone would afford the money to see them and choose cheaper more unusual venues . They were pretty strict on the no moshing policy encase to minimise insurances claims etc.

Was the Ormond hotel a regular spot for gigs at the time?
    I'd say Fugazi were beyond livid over it

Yep, it was one of the ironic things about the gig. Fugazi were concerned throughout about people not getting crushed at the front, asking people to move back a couple of spaces, etc.

Then at the end the venue just basically sprays everyone with mace.

I think there were a few gigs in the Ormond back then, but I wasn't there before or since so no idea if this was standard policy back then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

I read this as worst 'court' experience.
    Very disappointed

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Buachillsalach

Why do people tell lies like this?

"The Las, about 10 years ago. There was 60-90 minutes between the opening act and them coming on, and they played for about 20 minutes, and it was sht. If my companion hadn't really, really wanted to see them I'd have demanded my money back and left before the came on. Total lack of respect for their fans.

The only thing that was played in between the acts was Franz Ferdinand, and I can't listen to them since because it brings back memories and makes me angry."

I mean, the above is complete horsesh(t. I was at that gig, and yes they took an age to come out and weren't great to boot but clearly they played a full set.

Anyone in doubt just have a look at the setlist on setlistfm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

It was a post from 7 years ago.

Id say, just let it go pal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Would you say the same about hawkwind23's comment about The Sultans Of Ping in Belfast, from back then too? 😉 (Actually, I'm sure you would...)

The first Electric Picnic was a disaster for me (and I'm sure most people). It was just so badly organised, queues for the bar were extremely slow-moving, and the place was littered with free copies of Hotpress. I can barely remember the music. The second year was the complete opposite...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I put a search for the La's in that site, but all I got was loads of concerts held in Los Angeles.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Buachillsalach

For the LA's search for their setlist in the Ambassador in Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement

The concert was from around 2005? Could you put the link please. I notice the site says that anyone can edit the information, so how reliable is it for a concert back then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 121 ✭✭biddy21

I thought I was the only one that thought the Bob Dylan concert was sh*, glad to see Im not. Seen him and Neil Young in Kilkenny, He was absolutely brutal but Neil Young was great, which eased the blow a bit. Went to see an 80s band a while back in New Ross at a town festival, (think it was showaddywaddy) I think the lead singer had alzheimers, he was definitely about 2 mins behind all the other musicians. It was so bad, everyone walked out.

'There she goes' slapped in the middle of it

Thought that would be the last song

A concert from 2005 which someone posted "lies" about in 2015. And someone else decides to challenge them in 2022. A slow burner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Went to see Penn and Teller. There was problem with the toilets so the whole place smelled like sh*t. There act had loads of how USA was the greatest country in the world. They were doing a gun trick with the audience and asked people who used a magnum and loads of hand shot up. There was a photo op for people and didn't wait as they had USA flags on them. Admittily in the USA but it was actually the crowd that made us feel uncomfortable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

At Christy Moore gig and couldn't have a drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭martin101

Was also at this , sound was awful too. My girlfriend at the time wanted to leave early on due to the atmosphere. We really should of left. Brutal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,612 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Bob Dylan years ago in the point. Could hardly tell which song he was 'singing'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭NiceFella

Got a free ticket to Eminem at Slane a fair few years back. Was'nt even a fan but said surely it would be better heading into than my part time job of a Saturday morning. So I called in sick. Big mistake.

I never came accross a more ignorant and mean spirited crowd in all my life. People, who clearly had never been to a gig in their lives shoving left and right while shouting "stop pushin". It got so bad that the whole crowd toppled over like a domino effect. I ended up on top of my friend with about 5 or 6 people on top of me. Literally a couple 100 people were flanked over each other accross the field. Lucky no one was seriously hurt.

One particular crazy thing I seen was this pretty tall chap had this fairly big young one up on his shoulders. She had a shoulder bag on her back in which some dirtbag opened from behind her to take out her phone. Not only does he do that, he then proceeds to upend the chap by pulling the knees from under him, sending the young one flying into the crowd on top of spectators in front of them.

The crowd were also shouting abuse at the warm up acts. One of the acts (plan B I think) said infront of the crowd that it was the worst natured crowd he ever performed to. He was spot on.

It was insane, fights everywhere, stealing was rampant, People just behaving like animals. You'd swear that the gig was only a side show for most of them. Eminem was'nt great either.

Then the walk home, not enough buses. Finally getting a bus and then some idiot starting fights after a whole day of madness. I never ever wished more that I went to work instead. Never again.

Post edited by NiceFella on

Advertisement