Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your New WHS Index

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

I think i heard that said before about hazards. The way it was explained to me (and i've no idea if this is true) is that they use an average distance of 200-220ish yards off the tee. If there are hazards in that area (left or right of fairway) on holes it increases the slope which apparently is why some courses which don't have water hazards for example seem to be very 'easy' according to the slope rating but in reality could be very difficult even if you are in play whereas water hazards of any description (and OB) bring up the slope rating quickly. Again i don't know if this is true, just heard it from a member who seemed to know a bit about it. Would love an explanation of how slope in particular is calculated.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Shouldnt their glimmer of hope be to beat the other octos rather than the international level golfer playing off +3?

And ideally, in my opinion, playing from tees that allow them to actually enjoy the game?

Most players have high handicaps because they just cant hit the ball far enough, so rather than give someone 54 shots, just give them 18 and a tee on the 200 or 150 markers.

Thats what we do for the kids and they move back to longer tees as they prove their ability, it should be the same as you lose your ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭Russman

That's the biggest problem, its so subjective, someone pulling up is impossible to prove. You can't go around calling someone out for having a few bad holes, its golf, it happens to the best players in the world. How can any of us decide whether someone has got nervous (or even just unlucky) on the last few holes or whether the handbrake went on ? We might think we know and convince ourselves we know, but is that enough to effectively call someone a handicap cheat ? OK, no score on the last 3 looks a bit dodge but its still not proof. I'd tend towards thinking that if someone was that way inclined they wouldn't be leaving it til the last few holes and they'd get their work done earlier in the round. Unless they badly miscalculated 😀

For example, I was lucky enough to have 40pts two weekends ago and win my class. I had no score on the first hole and only 1 point on the second. If that had been the other way round and I had 1 point on 17th and no score on the last, does that give people ammo to say I was pulling ?

Meh, I dunno, we've an imperfect system, dealing with human nature in a very difficult sport, throw in a bit of begrudgery and, for lots of clubs, effectively an 8 month season of real golf in Ireland, maybe WHS is doomed to fail here regardless. You really need to be playing lots of golf for WHS to work properly I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭newport2

Would agree with this.

Most of the crazy high scores in our club are not bandits, just some high handicapper who goes on a run. I played with one a few weeks ago, he was off 24 and he normally plays to that. But he had one of those days where everything went his way and he had 47 points (he could have hit it into a forest and it would have ended up on the green type of thing). Anyone on the lower end of the handicap scale is not going to shoot 11 better than their handicap.

I think tiering is a good idea. Allows beginners to compete and also provides people with the incentive to improve and move up a tier.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭blue note

The question of should a lad who's not putting in the effort be able to compete in a comp is an important one. To me, it's one of the great things about the game that it's one you can play without putting in the effort of a normal sport. If I had the time to train once a week, I'd still be playing hurling. One of the appealing things about golf is that you can not play for a month and just drop back into it.

And a lot of people will have similar time constraints, and will have finished paying other sports and taken up golf because of the convenience of it. If we're now saying that you have no right to compete unless you're putting in a minimum amount of effort, we're effectively taking away the competitive side of the game from them. They might have weekends free for golf, but Sunday morning would be ruled out because they'd be forced to play in the comp that they effectively can't compete in.

Even the idea of a minimum amount of effort to justify competing is a funny one. Most people would say that you probably need to be playing and practicing once a week to improve. I'd so most people aren't playing this often. And even if they are, should they be able to compete with people playing twice as much as that? And of course, some people will improve very slowly and some very quickly with the same effort.

The inclusiveness of the game is one of it's biggest strengths. I think we have to fully accept people not playing very much to maintain that.

• Advertisement

100% on this. You can't say to someone "sorry, you're not putting in the effort, you're not getting a handicap that allows you to compete", the club game would fall apart. By and large its a pass time for most members and if they have a good day they have a good day. I think we have to accept than an inherent weakness of any handicapping system is that people will improve and/or have good days/weeks and there will be the odd bad egg too. I suppose part of the issue is that the reduction in handicap comes after the performance, by which time you're condemned as being, I dunno, something.

Look at any pro event, they're all, in theory anyway, at much the same level, yet there will be probably 15 shots difference between first and last after round 1. And the following week, those places could easily be reversed.

No system is going to be able to cater for the natural, non-banditry related dispersion of higher handicaps. The higher the handicap we allow, the more natural deviation there will be, basically because of the room from improvement.

A shot is a shot, but its infinitely harder to drop from 3 shots a hole to 2 shots a hole compared to going from 7 to 6.

The stated goal of WHS is to "enable golfers of different abilities to play and compete on a fair and equal basis, in any format, on any course, anywhere around the world"

Frankly I dont think thats possible and as such I dont think they have achieved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Remove overall winner. Remove Gross.

4 Categories, 4 Winners. 2's.

All winners get the same prize/prize money (as entrance fee is the same) as long as each category of golfers meets the minimum numbers on the day. If one category falls short it goes to a percentage of fees taken for that group.

If your club has an issue with suspect players, restrict the amount of wins allowed. 1 Major Win in lifetime (1x Captains,1x Presidents etc). 4 Single Comp Wins per Year.

I can't imagine everyone would like it and I've probably overlooked loads but I still think its the right direction. I personally don't think a 0HC should be competing against a 20HC, but thats not a problem with WHS, its how competitions are structured. Both should still have a chance to compete against their peers.

Excluding anyone from competitions is the opposite of what I'd like to see in the sport.

Removing the overall winner is a terrible idea. You'd no longer have a winner of the captains prize. And while having a handicap system you no longer have everyone competing against each other. Might as well just have a ladder system like in tennis.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭slingerz

Removing overall winner terrible idea, capped handicap limit terrible idea.

just shows there’s no silver bullet. There needs a change in thinking by removing overall.

Why wouldn’t you want to be captains prize winner of cat 3, what benefit does overall have for you?

• Advertisement

Isnt that what class prizes essentially already is? With the handicap used to determine your class?

Introducing class prizes is fine. Everyone is still competing against everyone for the overall win. Removing the overall winner is where it's a terrible idea.

Absolutely, as you say, its probably not 100% possible. Have they achieved it ? Obviously no, if we think its not possible, so we have to muddle on with what we have. Is WHS the best we have ? I'm on the fence tbh, leaning slightly towards it probably is. I'd equally have been perfectly happy for CONGU to continue as it was.

As you mention, its so much easier to go from a 7 to a 6 on a hole than from 3 to 2. A higher handicapper just has much more scope for improvement, either on a good day or over time. Maybe best 6 out of last 20 would be better than best 8 ? I doubt any, lets say 10 handicapper, has eight differentials of 10, he'll have maybe a few of 4 or 5 and some of 12, 13 etc. So even in the calculation of his index he has a few shots more than his proven ability on a given day. Whereas CONGU was in theory your best.

I honestly think its mostly, but obviously not 100%, the normal variations in human performance that give rise to big scores in competitions.

What would that achieve though ? You'll still have the other people in a class complaining that Joe is a f--king bandit to be able to shoot 42 points, or that there's no way Jim should be off 18 sure wasn't he on the Metro team a few years ago (without realising it was actually in 2008).

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭thewobbler

…. Is correct Russman. They’ll also still simultaneously look on in awe at a +2 guy shooting 42 point, and in disgust at a 24 handicapper doing the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Salvadoor

The purpose of a handicapping system in any sport is to allow players/horses of different abilities to compete on the same level. The current WHS system does not fulfill that brief as it is weighted too favourably towards to higher handicapped player

We've no idea what the weighting is with the new system. Pretty much everyone is under the impression that it favours the higher handicaps, but I haven't seen proper data on it. I'm not talking about one person putting together a few figures from his club. I'm talking about a years data from how did I do, looking at average scores, liklihood of getting a top 3 or winning, does the fact that it's a bigger comp effect this? All looked at by handicap.

There's definitely a strong element of this is different to how it was before so wrong. The guys with low 20s handicaps under the old system probably featured far less than they should have in the old system. Now they've extra shots and are winning occasionally. Is this right or not? We'd need to see few stats to actually know.

Not sure if this has been posted before, makes for interesting reading..........

• Registered Users Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Whilst not definitive I'd imagine that the fact that a large number of clubs have now moved to class prizes in all their competitions (mine included) is indicative of the skew.

Presumably it's being changed due to data at club level.

Up until this year we had a top 3 and gross in the weekly comps, and only class prizes in the majors.

It's not necessarily indicative of the skew. It could also be indicative of the change. Previously you had a not insignificant cohort of people who pretty much could never compete for a prize. Now there's a share of the prizes going to them, so a smaller share going to be other categories. And I remember reading a congu / Scottish golfing union article years ago which said that in spite of the perception that lower handicap guys were less likely to win a comp, the opposite was in fact true. The lower your handicap, the more likely you were to win. I suspect when the big scores come in they're almost certainly not going to win that day. But with plenty of comps being won with less than 40 points, they're more likely to be the ones bringing in that sort of score.

I just don't trust relying on perception at all. I wouldn't ignore it - if something feels wrong it's worth looking at to see if it is. But I wouldn't act on it until you've actually investigated it.

Bringing in category prizes is to deal with the perception of unfairness. Whether or not that perception is accurate I just don't know.

• Advertisement

Possibly its due to data, but I know in my club, its based on the number of entries - in a normal run of the mill weekend singles anyway. I don't know the actual numbers but its like if between 100-125 enter, you give 1st overall and 1st in each class, if between 125 & 150 enter you give 1st and 2nd overall and 1st in each class, etc. etc. If its below a certain number there might be no overall, just the class winners. Like I say, I don't know the actual numbers, but its along those lines afaik.

To me that doesnt really prove anything other than what we all expect. WHS will keep giving you shots until you can hit 36 points. It would be impossible for the graph not to show this convergence really!

So under WHS everyone has an equal/fair chance of winning, however I would have said golf is a game of skill and everyone shouldnt have a fair chance of winning. The people who are putting more effort in should have a better chance of winning, otherwise whats the point?

If this is not the case, then why does WHS have upper limits? Surely its "unfair" on the guy of 54 who never breaks 30 points?

Below are our results for the year so far (18 comps, with the most recent at the top and the averages in the last line)

So you need to be 6 under to win and in stableford you need to be 8 better. Which is obviously a lot easier off the average handicap of 19.

WHS is doing exactly what it was designed to do, but I dont believe it differentiates enough between the effort involved to be a lower handicap compared to just rocking up randomly and playing. I dont think its fair or equitable that these two different types of player have the same chance of winning the same prize.

Regarding classes, we recently had a competition where the class breakdown was:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

@blue note not sure you could use a congu report from a few years ago though.

It's a new system with significant changes in movement and limits.

A congu report based on a system with people moving 1-2 shots in a year and an upper cap of 28 shots isn't really a fair comparison to a system allowing 5 strokes in a year and an upper limit of 54 (for men)

It would make sense in the old system for low guys to perform well overall. But when you're competing against a guy that would have been off 28 and is now off 43, it changes the picture completely.

Plenty of clubs where I've played opens in this year seem to also be capping the upper handicap they're allowing in for away players.

I do like the system. I've an uncle off a 32 index and on a really good day he might shoot 36 points, so I know that there are plenty of genuine cases where it's justifiable, but I still think the idea of someone new to golf walking in and shooting 49 points shouldn't be indicative of the new reality of golf (this is a genuine example from my club where a guy won in his 5th round after joining the club who went from shooting around 120 with his first 3 rounds to shooting around 105 with his fifth)

It's great to see someone improve quick but that doesn't mean they should be able to romp home in competitions by 7-8 strokes after a couple of games of golf.

I do like the idea of a separate comp for new members with their own prize and not eligible for the main prize till they've 20 scores on their record

I'm just saying that the perception is the same under both systems, albeit more extreme with this one. But people believe under both systems that it's too hard for the lower handicaps to win comps. And that particular report was evidence that the opposite was the case.

So I'm just saying that I wouldn't assume the perception is correct. And certainly not to the extent that people think it has affected the chances of lower handicaps winning.

Now with that congu report (might have been Scotland golfing Union), even then you could question it. The results might be quite quite different if you looked at midweek opens that might have small entry numbers vs the club majors that everyone plays in. But at the moment we're just calling for changes (and clubs are bringing some in) based on people's gut feelings and some very small sample sizes.

I do think 3 cards is too few to have a meaningful handicap and needing a minimum number submitted is a good idea to be eligible to win a comp. But I also don't think that would deal with the problem cases that people are most annoyed about. No-one really cares about a Tuesday open that was won with 50 points by a fella who packed in the hurling and started the golf. It's the fella who you always thought was a bandit in the old system when he was off 14 and is now off 18 that you want something to be done about.

There's also the question of what is the handicap for that is causing a problem. Because to different people the reason for it is different. To some it's a realistic target to play to every week. Some will want an accurate one for their weekly fourball and others for the matchplay they play. All three of those are different handicaps. Or is it for the weekly comp so that on average whatever your handicap your expected score is the same or is it that everyone should have an equal chance of winning. Again two different handicaps.

And then the point that a few people made which is true at some point - a higher handicap shooting a huge points really isn't as impressive as a lower handicap doing it. A guy playing off 30 coming in with 54 points is incredible. Very few will do that in their lifetimes. There's probably one or two cases of it in he country each year. A guy off scratch doing it I would bet has never been done. As you pare those scoress and handicaps back, the principle is probably the same, but effect reduced. So if a 10 and 20 handicapper both shoot 46 points, I suspect he 10 handicappers is less likely than the 20. But then that's balanced out to some degree with those comps won with sub 40 points - the lower handicap guys are now likely to win those comps. Especially in bad conditions I would bet.

And then if course match play is a different animal again - it very much favours the lower handicap guy. To even it up could you give the higher handicap guy 110% of his handicap or something?

As I write all that I think it's best to just whack your ball. And then find it and whack it again. And at the end of the day plug your card into the computer and not worry about what way the system is unfair or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

It's more a system problem rather than player failure.

There are not more bandits but this system is creating a culture where handicaps are creeping out. We are only supposed to play to our handicap a fraction of the time. The buffer zone was the target.

The system datum point is based against a scratch golfers performance.

The range of max 5 strokes I believe each year is absolutely too much. Any adjustment over 2 strokes in a calendar year should fall to local h/cap committee answerable to governing body.

Yes a player can have a day of it, we all can and probably have.

Our club run some comps over 11 holes.

4 ball/seniors/long handicap.

28pts to 33pts required.

No whs records because GI WHS software doesn't support it.

Our Scratch datum point golfer needs to be -6 to -11 for 11 holes to match .

28pts won't be got over 18 holes when these warriors play on a Sunday.

50pts twice in 18 hole 4balls

48 pts twice in last week alone during open week on a course with a slope of 132.

42pts needs to viewed as an exceptional score again. It's too easy for handicaps to rise to silly levels and the mechanism in the WHS is not fit for purpose or simply doesn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Agreed - Very bored of seeing 42-44 points (or -7, -8 nett) winning stroke comps in particular for the Overall Prizes

I remember back before if you were beaten by 42 points when you had 41, you were disgusted. Now these days you’d be thinking unless you had an unreal back 9, 42 points isn’t enough

But the point of any handicap system is to level the field and give everyone a chance. Perhaps I’m taking you up wrong, and apologies if I am, but you seem to be suggesting that winning or prizes should be the preserve of the guys who put in the required amount of “effort” to show they’re serious or at least somehow linked to effort. The “why” behind someone needing a handicap doesn’t come into it, whether they play off 15 because they only get out once a week or because they are bad with the driver or a bad putter or take silly risks. Many, many people can’t or don’t want to practice 3 nights a week, they shouldn’t be excluded from being competitive because of this. Then there’s guys who could practice all week and they’re still sh1t, and you've the guys who are naturally talented and can hold a single figure handicap playing once a fortnight. It takes all sorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭slingerz

The point of a handicap is everyone putting in the same effort should have a level playing field. If I put in no effort for a year and my handicap bloats 5 shots I’ll come very close to winning any major in my club. If I put in no effort over 2 years and my handicap bloats by 10 shots I’m as near to certain of winning the major.

allowing a handicap of 54 is ridiculous. If you can’t play to 24 then your choices are the practice, get tuition or accept the game isn’t for you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭thewobbler

i don’t think you do. I don’t think you get remotely close.

The fall that you are talking about would take 40 consecutive rounds over 2 years, all played to 10 or worse than your current handicap.

The patience you’d need to do is impossible for anyone, let alone impossible for someone who has the competitive instinct to reach a level of confidence in their abilities, to claim that a 5 point head start would secure him a major.

Advertisement