Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minister 'misinterpreted the requirements' after failure to declare second house in Longford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,483 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Not resigning as a TD tho

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭francois

Looks like he's resigned according to IT pol corr

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭batman75

Would have been best resigning as both a minister and TD as soon as the whole 'misunderstanding the register of interest' thing kicked off. It is really important that he doesn't get to weasel out of facing the music for his various shenanigans just because he resigned. I hope revenue go through his affairs with a fine tooth comb.

I would really love to know how he managed to clock up all those properties by such a young age. Given how buying a house is such a struggle for young couples his accumulation of all this property is sickening.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

This is what the Troy scenario reminds me of.

• Advertisement

Various people on here when someone asked how long will Troy last.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,767 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

He fecking tweeted it himself and it's paraphrased in the article.

Junior Minister Robert Troy called on the housing minister to support landlords seeking to evict tenants during the pandemic, when the moratorium on evictions was in place.

The Fianna Fail TD questioned the Minister for Housing Darragh O’Brien about an issue where landlords where in the process of securing evictions notices against “non-conforming tenants”, but the process was suspended because of the Covid pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Should we start a go fund me for the poor fella? you know, just to help him get back on his feet

Can you please quote those various people? 👍 thanks

I would be interested

Michael Martin is taking the piss.

A spokesperson for Taoiseach Micheál Martin said the Taoiseach had accepted the resignation with regret. Mr Troy's "commitment to his constituents and dedication to his work has been beyond question", the spokesperson said.

Accepting the resignation with regret? What BS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,703 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I said I didn't think he'd go, but it was early on the the revelations.

Leaving it this long means that any attempt to use the resignation to wipe the slate and leave the door open - ala Calleary - are screwed.

There is a chance he might not have got in had Willie Penrose run in 2020 - he had probably 3000 personal/Mullingar-local first preference votes and would have been a lot higher for transfers too. Could have held Troy out and let Moran in.

So I suspect he might not run next time, or could lose it if he does.

What exactly are you reading because that has no quote of what he asked….

Fidn the quote and come back to me 👍

As I said not sure if the Examiner has any sort of quality control

• Registered Users Posts: 32,719 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Will he be able to fill out the form to resign correctly?

You do know what paraphrasing is?

paraphrase

/ˈparəfreɪz/

verb

1. express the meaning of (something written or spoken) using different words, especially to achieve greater clarity.

noun

1. a rewording of something written or spoken.

Find the quote yourself. I couldn't give a hoot if you believe the article or not. Do you think just because you come up with a spurious head in the sand objection, it didn't happen? 😁😁

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Probably fill it out wrong and then have to amend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Hello Mr Mc Carthy 😏 I'd be shocked but sadly not surprised if Troy survives that long, perhaps a new makey uppy junior ministry might be created, Minister of State for Shenanigans 😉

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

My god he's resigned 😳

So that a no then on the quote?

Didn’t think it would appear. Another cracking article form the roving reporters at the Examiner.

Imagien we had a thread on here complaining about other newspaper because they don’t print that sort of rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭batman75

This is some country for shenanigans. I see where the Mayor of Athlone last year make a recommendation in favour of the opening of Mr Price. I get the jobs angle but surely it should be a purely a planning issue as they were opening in a non retail designated property. And the jobs angle is possibly mute as they were simply moving from the centre of town. Anywhere a commercial venture opening is pushed by a sitting councillor especially a mayor the optics are not good. We are the land of the brown envelopes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Only took a couple of weeks.

Incidentally without social media I reckon he'd still be there. The Ditch managed to keep the story going on Twitter etc. Kept the ball rolling and eventually they had chipped away enough of the pedestal.

Martin looks bad. Should have sacked him, failing that, asked him to resign.

Varadkar doesn't look too clever but will claim innocence of the facts.

Meanwhile a lot of TD's will be slowly sh1tting themselves that their dodgy dealings and 'mature recollections' of their assets don't come to light.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

The full quote is on his twitter, if you need it to believe the story, go find it yourself.

Somebody who reads and doesn't know the mechanism of paraphrasing somebody, seems to me to be someone who doesn't read much or who needs to desperately dismiss a story about a FFer being a FFer.

You can quote or parpahrase me on that.😉

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Northernlily

He is in his hole gone. Not good enough. He needs to resign as a TD. We've seen it time and time again, he will worm his way onto another committee/board down the line as long as he keeps quiet to make up the salary fall.

As for Michael Martin, he's really let himself down in his handling of this debacle. Why the **** did he have to put the word "regret" in that statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,513 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

His statement!

Well well what have our deflectors got to say now 😏😏

Some who know me will know I've a little experience in the culinary world.

Those feeling a little dejected by mine and others contributions to this thread can PM me, I've an excellent recepie for Humble Pie, it can be served Cold 😉

Well done to all who stuck with it 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Delighted.

This stuff can’t go on and on.

Leo with his stupid defence this week.

I have had enough of FFG, can’t defend the indefensible anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Probably depends if there’s a sizeable amount of money in it for him.

(Cash only, of course).

The cynic in me wonders if this was played this way...dig in, dig in, then get him to resign his Junior Ministry and the story goes away, and they keep a TD onside.

Hopefully the pressure can be kept up. Still has to face questions in the Dáil.

• Advertisement

I agree, I wanted it to last a little longer like your goodself 😁

Advertisement