Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW i4

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Did you order yet?

What delivery timeframe did you get?

By the time you get it, it may very well be the best BMW available. Especially if they adapt and use the latest tech out there.

But those that know, know it’s a trim level and not an M branded car.

I don’t think the MSport trim has devalued the M Brand at all, it would be like saying Audi SLine has debranded their RS Line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭v10

My point is that BMW aren't doing anything now that they weren't doing 15-20 years ago .. they sell trim levels, MSport was always an option, it's people that misjudge the value of an M badge ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

Era this thread is half full of doom merchants. Most people with their i4 are out enjoying it, driving it, not on here debating the merits of BMW Vs Tesla which isn't really the point of the thread.

I've probably had one of the worst experiences of all but that's just been a mixture of bad luck and appalling customer service by the dealer.

I've driven BMWs for 20 years and this is the biggest issue and worst experience I've had but for me, and I stress this is a personal opinion, having driven the Tesla and a few others, the BMW is superior to look at and to drive so I'll be sticking with it. No idea if I'll get my edrive40 back but either way I hope to have my M50 by January and put this experience behind me.

Quality is another issue and will be found out over time I guess.

TLDR; can't we all just get along 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

Summary video of the 1000km challenge

• Advertisement

Agh I don’t think everyone is a doom merchant. I think we’re trying to add a bit of balance to some posters that spot out the bmw sales hand book.

Most of the posters on here have probably had more BMW’s that any other car (myself, Unkel, Fitz amongst others) so it’s not a brand snobbery thing.

It’s when “some” posters spot out half truths (which can be found by searching their posts before many told them to seriously cop on) it was just me arguing with her but not it’s laughable.

Many want the i4 to succeed as it will be the next 320d for the masses.

Despite its flaws it’s a lovely car but I wouldn’t buy the first gen due to its ICE design but the next version that’s EV from the ground up should be a stunning machine from a premium German engineered prestigious brand.

But I do agree there’s no point arguing design as design is subjective. I wouldn’t give up the minimal design of my Tesla for the interior design of the 5 series and we have 2 in the house now, F10 520d and G30 530e. It’s personal taste and likes at that end of the day.

I don’t like garlic Mayo but my wife loves it. Makes Saturday nights bedtime interesting 🤣🤣

Post edited by Gumbo on

TBF I deliberately didn't say everyone, I said half!

There's lots of good debate and content but the Tesla v BMW is tiresome and effectively people arguing that their subjective opinion is "correct".

Meanwhile its day 105 I think and my car is back on the ramp as of yesterday. I wonder what today's disappointing call will tell me.

I don’t think we will get away from the constant comparison unfortunately.

I feel every saloon will be compared to the Tesla, whether they are both in the same segment or not!

Its like new Pixel Phone, iPhone killer, New Samsung, iPhone killer!

Clickbait to attack views IMO.

Hopefully they both can survive :)

PS. Hope you get some good news on the car front.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Important at the same time to have a level of honesty and realism when it comes to new EV's if not we will descend down the hole the Tesla fanboi's have gone down where its the "greatest car evar". The BMW i4 is obviously better than the model 3 in a great many respects (iuts also more expensive so the back patting has to be tempered with that). But different drivers will want different things, but its important know the pros and cons.

Watches the Bjorn vid, very odd problem that seems to be due to the design of the car rather than a flaw in the actual car itself. He thinks its the charging from nearly empty to only 50% percent, doesnt give the car time charging at a lower rate to cool down, and it was taking over 20 minutes for the car to cool back down. While its unlikely to be a issue for most drivers, it does hint towards a stressed cooling system

• Registered Users Posts: 65,321 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

@yllw.ldbttr - "but the Tesla v BMW is tiresome"

Look at it this way. That the i4 is getting scrunitised here by people who have owned several BMWs but who have also owned one or more Teslas is quite the compliment for BMW. Those people are not trolling Tesla fanbois, they are potential buyers of the i4. The car is number 1 on my own shortlist for my next car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Old diesel

I thought it was interesting that the car did better at 812 kms then it did at 360 kms.

Totally the opposite to what you'd expect and the difference in ambient temp is too small to explain it.

Id note the fact that one of the UK youtubers who had a Leaf 40 during the peak of rapidgate.

Found that rapidgate impact was reduced a bit by doing 40 percent to 90 percent type charging.

Slower normal charging at higher SoC meant less heat build up.

And remember that unlike the Nissan the BMW is actually actively cooling the battery in this scenario.

BMW Fanboy’s V Tesla Fanboy’s will always be a circular argument.

I’d expect the BMW to be better considering it’s price point and it’s rich prestigious history but I don’t think that’s the case here, just yet.

People had the same arguments when touch screens came out. “I’ll never change to one of those” amongst other comments. Things change and choice is there for all I suppose.

From memory also, I don’t think one Tesla owner on here has stated that the Model 3 is the best car ever. They both have their flaws and it’s up to the purchaser to decide what they like best of course.

Thread derailment but justified to give BMW some much needed love ❤️

M240i

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

Lovely colour, mate of mine was looking at one of these for his last dance in an ice and the wheel upgrade pushed the car into the next vrt band and the net cost was something like 9K,

….. you wouldn’t get that with a Tesla 😂😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

That purple colour does not look as hideous as it does in the configurator.

Comes in a little cheaper than an i4 M50. hmmm decisions decisions. 😁

Stunning color alright!

I can see from the app the car is on the ramp since yesterday after being parked up for nearly 3 weeks, "awaiting parts"...

Dealer's service manager eventually replied to text earlier in the week to say parts were in and they were hopeful to have the car moving by today.

I can see it's still there with same error code on it.

Did he call me to let me know progress or next steps or any kind of plan?

He did in his hole...

Am I in the least bit surprised.

Unfortunately not, at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭carsfan2

have you paid for the car or if it is on finance, are they still taking payments for it?

surely they can’t except payment for a car that at this stage is off the road this long?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,321 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

@yllw.ldbttr - didn't you do a deal on the new car? Let the old one go, not your problem any more. Drive the Bejaysus out of the loaner and claim for all the fuel.

I did, but part of the deal was that the i4 would be returned to me once repaired, until the new one arrives in January (hopefully).

Think I need to just let that go and assume it's a total write off. Drive the loaner until then and not worry. Bit of a sickener putting petrol into a 530e while paying for an i4 but hopefully it's short lived.

At this stage I genuinely pity the next person who buys the car.

• Advertisement

Long story many pages back but yeah they finally agreed that the car is effectively a lemon and agreed to order a new one for Jan delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 fakedel

Order it when your car arrives. The card itself will be in your hands in less than a week. When you register, do so for the Active tariff and you will be presented with the offer of free BMW Active and free Ionity Plus subscription for 12 months. Very well worth it.

Details here: https://bmw-public-charging.com/web/en/bmw-ie/tariffs

You won't be disappointed whichever one you pick. If range is your thing go for the 40. It still has more than enough poke to startle. If you fancy bringing yourself and your passengers to next level terror, then go for the M50.

Note re wheels: the 20s on the M50 look amazing but seem to disproportionately affect the range. USA EPA says they cost the M50 43 miles over the 19s. It's not insignificant.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭UhOh

You should get it off the dealership with the car.

I didn't. Had to register in app and order the card. You can use the app /NFC until the card arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭PDVerse

Mine was given to me at the dealership when I collected the car. Given your experience with your dealership I'm not surprised they didn't have this ready for you.

That’s nice. My dealer did nothing of the sort, and knew nothing about the first year offers and how to get them; I had to figure it out myself.

This was but one of a number of things the so-called BMW Genius doing the handover didn’t know about.

Has anyone else found that they knew more about how the car worked than the ‘genius’?

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭UhOh

Did you buy from Kearys aswell? All that stuff was done for me & handed over with the final paperwork & keys.

• Advertisement

I did. Says a lot about their procedures/ processes that we had such different experiences.

Don't really understand how they had your BMW charging card though since I thought it requires pre linking to a credit/debit card.

Only card in the car for me was the NFC Key.

Advertisement