Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help Identifying droppings

Options
  • 14-08-2022 8:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

Found some droppings in the garden of a house I recently moved into. The odd thing about their location is that they are sprinkled around the top of a weed. See picture. These are bigger than mouse droppings, but would a rat climb one of these? Nothing above it either so the droppings didn’t fall from a higher place.

ive included an image of the weed I found them on, the red circle indicates the height they were at, doesn’t seem like the plant a rat could climb, but I don’t know much about rats. The other picture is a close up.

Any help would be great

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Dropped from above??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Doesn’t look like rat droppings nor rabbit dropping.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Looks like slug or snail deposits to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Captain Kidd

thanks everyone, I thought perhaps a slug considering its location, but thought it must have been a big slug considering the size of the droppings.

That’s what I thought initially, there’s no ledger or write above, I thought maybe a rat pooped from above but there’s nothing. A slug makes sense but I’m surprised a slug poops this big!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Sharpened the pics up and it's caterpillar dropping.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Hedgehog, probably. A young one, too, judging by the size.

Edit: applogies, I missed the part where you said they were not on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

I'm no expert in gardening but we had lillies a few years ago and we had an infestation of lily beetles and the gunk we had on the lillies was similar to what the beetles slept in!! Yuck!

Thanks everyone, the fact that you ruled out rodents has me relieved, I’ve returned at night by with a torch but haven’t found the culprit yet. I would be happy to find cattapillars!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

on the subject of droppings can anyone ID these...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Where did you find them and what size are they? I'd say there are a lot of blackberries in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i found them this morning on the bird feeder tray...as for size - biggest one is about pinky finger width & length

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

We recently have a young fox in the garden, and for the first time we have similar droppings, I agree its a fox.

Advertisement