Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Masahiro sakurai is starting a new YouTube channel talking about game development and design. I'd say it's going to be well worth checking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,161 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Been playing Blasphemous. Not feeling it. The art is superb, fully voice acted which is impressive for a 2D pixel game but the story and gameplay just aren't grabbing me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I enjoyed what I played but I found the movement a little stiff or something.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Only played the demo but definitely found the movement and basic feel of controls not to my tastes. As said, too stiff; definitely someone who prefers to zip and bounce around his Metroidvania levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

• Advertisement

Think I'm going to change tack with GamePass. I've another cheap year of it paid for up front. But I've little time to play ...

So, going to sample all the larger/grind fest games on there, instead of trying to rush through them while they are on GP. Say 10 hours max. If they're good, I'll put them on the play/buy when cheap later backlog. And the the ones I hate, I'll put on the avoid forever list.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,024 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

• Registered Users Posts: 29,026 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

And effective immediately. At least Meta gave notice before increasing their prices, though theirs jumped by 100.

Still the old price on Smyths for now.

I notice inflation apparently doesn't affect America.

It's nothing to do with inflation it's simply profiteering, the same way oil and electric companies are are increasing prices while posting record profits.

I wonder what Microsoft will do now. Sony gave opened the door to a price increase but Microsoft could gain excellent publicity now by announcing a price freeze or even go further and introduce a price reduction of €50 and create a huge price gap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,808 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Yikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,026 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Oh I know it's profiteering. But just the usual inflation excuse.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

A crappy move, but particularly so for those who've been unable to buy a PS5 so far due to supply issues. Through no fault of their own they'll now have to pay an extra 50 quid if they still want a console since they had the 'privilege' of waiting for availability.

The lack of an increase in the US is interesting. Wonder if they're concerned a price rise there would give Microsoft an edge? Feels like they're gambling that Playstation has a big enough market lead elsewhere to offset the price rise, whereas the US would be a riskier maneuver.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

#For the players

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

How much would they charge if it had an exclusive that you would say is a must play game??

Instead they half ass a Last of Us remake & release everything cross gen cause most people couldn't even get a PS5 the last 2 years.

Feels like an easy PR tap-in for Microsoft to just respond by doing nothing.

Most people will never consider any other console/gaming device. Sony's only competition is people's purchasing power, which is getting weaker and weaker.

Inflation hikes don't work for discretionary goods. We all need to fill our cars, we all need to pay our utilities. But we don't actually have to have the latest console.

It will be a very, very easy decision for many to stick with your old PS4 and replay your existing collection and not spend a penny more on gaming for the foreseeable future.

The Sony business model of profting off the consoles and blockbuster AAA titles that you can get a lot cheaper if you wait 3-12 months is starting to show its age.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Honestly when their games are eventually coming out on Steam and still cross gen you're better off sticking with your PS4 & saving for a PC. By the time you will afford one the PS5 exclusives will be on steam anyway

That's 50 euros on top of all the other reasons I don't need one.

It's looking more and more likely this will be the first generation of non Nintendo consoles I don't buy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

To be fair, both the Xbox Series X and PS5 offer excellent performance for the price compared to what you'd get with PC. PC gaming remains a rip-off at the moment, and while GPU prices are (thank god) coming down I think we haven't quite seen the sort of price drops the US has seen yet. Steam Deck and lower-end hardware are always viable and great options, but you won't be getting anywhere near the same performance as the next-gen consoles. The SSDs in particular have given consoles a huge boost in usability.

Of course there are benefits to PC beyond the hardware, like the massive library content, sales and free games etc... And Sony's absurd retail price for their first-party games (also on PC, alas) does diminish the value of the PS5 itself. But it's the first console gen in a while where in general the hardware is actually damn good value compared to current mid-tier PC hardware. Hopefully that'll change now post crypto crash and PC hardware prices stabilize.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I never owned a PS device and I'm not a fan of them BUT people will still pay the extra €50 for their console.

• Advertisement

MS were originally releasing the cheaper Series S as they forecast a recession. But covid and supply shortages made consoles more popular and less available.

Series S could very popular choice for parents this Xmas. See, they even changed Christmas to Xmas..🤣

I think they should release a digital only Series X with half the storage for 299, and put the S to rest. That'd be a good chunk cheaper than the digital PS5 and developers would not have to mess around with another console type.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Helicopters are coming to Flight Simulator in November. Yay!!

• Administrators Posts: 53,748 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I am pretty sure the Series S had nothing to do with a forecast recession.

Microsoft want to sell Game Pass, the consoles are a means to an end. The Series S was about getting access to the market of people who don't care for the latest and greatest hardware, the super-casual crowd. Cheap console + cheap gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I have Gamepass for ages that I am now on my second run as in I done the buy three 12 month xbox live and then convert for €1. And then earlier this year I done the same trick again but I had to buy one month Gamepass Ultimate and then convert. I am still saving massive amounts of money and I have no idea how MS can afford it. Yes if you were to pay for it the proper way they would have more money from me but since you can do the trick it is amazing value but not so much for MS.

Ah, I'm sure I read that somewhere. Also, a huge number of people world wide who cannot afford a series X or ps5.

I'll probably do it again next year if it's still around. The 3 year MS sweet heart deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Judging by thr amount of time and entertainment I've gotten from my PS5 so far, it's worth the extra 50 imo! Honestly, it's a 5+ year investment, still a bargain.

I see Facebook alight with comments about this. Basically everything else has gone up so much in the last 2 years, I'm surprised the consoles took this long. Still only a bit more expensive than a SNES when it released (adjusting for inflation).

SX however, would not have been worth the money if I didn't get it for <€150 and GPU for 30 months for ~€150. Full price I couldn't say I would have gotten value from it yet. Euro is at a 10 year low and the dollar is holding strong. Was inevitable imo. Can't see MS lowering the price, staying where it is will probably be what they do. They're losing enough as is!

In an unrelated story, went to watch Tekken on Netflix, horsed on Japanese audio and the only English sub option is with CC. First bit of text: "Ominous music playing". Immediately turned it off. Is it much to ask for just the subs without the audio description/CC Netflix?! Was looking forward to it and all.

Why am I not surprised the biggest Sony fanboy on Boards is in trying to justify the price increase.

Ah come on that is some stretch, even coming from you.

As for a little more expensive than the snes at launch, even adjusting for inflation it was a full 25% more expensive. Now it's a third more expensive which is pretty significant considering that was at launch, you got a game with it and two years after launch the snes was reduced and available with game bundles.

It's just blatant profiteering by Sony. They know people will pay it coming up to xmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

I am by no means a fanboy of anything, aside from the Wii-U I have owned every console from every generation since the PS2/GC/Xbox, but I have always had a strong preference for the PS. As a long-time fan I am legit worried about the decisions that the current management have been making over the last few years, even more so than the early-PS3 period. At least back then you could argue their terrible decision making was a combination of incompetence and market leading-induced arrogance. Nowadays they just seem borderline nasty and spiteful.

Advertisement