Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukrainian refugees in Ireland - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭CeCe12

No but the page is open for anyone to view it. The Ireland helping Ukrainians facebook page.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,719 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

If it’s frightening for you, spare a thought for the 11,000 children who make up less than 2% of the total number of the school population -

The overall figure of 11,085 expected next week represents more than 1pc of the school population of about 950,000.

And get some indigestion relief for that vomiting. That much vomiting isn’t normal! 😳

• Registered Users Posts: 25,336 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

It’s going to be rough on the teachers…

more stressful days, managing far bigger classes, language issues both discipline and education sides… I wouldn’t rule out a strike … I’d advocate and back them..

That much of an increase in 6 months! Do you think schools are happy with that and it won't impact on the quality of education pupils receive!? Yeah right.

• Advertisement

I know for a fact that none of my colleagues are happy with this situation. Bigger work load and no extra pay.

And the same responsibilities… exam results suffer, they’ll be questioned…

what do they do with Ukrainian students when it comes to languages they’ve no knowledge of ? Can’t sick a 15 year old Ukrainian into an Irish class. Do they go to a hall ? Spare class ? Who supervises ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I already know a child who was told the school is full while readily accepting Ukrainians.

The mind boggles

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

It's repeated on their telegram a lot, and often results in spammers showing up to sell IPTV subscriptions, smuggled cigarettes, alcohol and other goods while the argument is ongoing. I'm not sure the person that brings it up in the Telegram group is Irish, but maybe a Ukrainian that has been living here for a long time, and I think one of the admins. They usually only bring it up when there are a large group of new users and some users start asking about what is free, and how to get around x, y, or z and much more. Which has resulted in many other groups. One group has been set up purely for those 'services' but I didn't bookmark it before the address was deleted. Now they PM each other it's address.

Every single time the admin tells them that they need to put stuff back into our economy and links to some of our newspapers, many scoff at it and have pointed out is Ireland's (Jutlands) problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

The language issue is massive, going to lead to disruption and a lack of progress for many many children.

• Advertisement

This was from 2019, I can only imagine how much worse it is now. Holy Smokes...reading that article, there are children in classes of 40+ 😲😲😲. The poor pupils and teacher.

I remember some eejit poster on here saying that schools in Ireland are not oversubscribed 🙄🙄🙄. Also, Ukrainians were not meant to be placed in rural areas so you can imagine the stress on more urban and suburban areas!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 jyat

Going by the number of emoji’s your post must be let known to the president.

True, it’s going to drag the pace of learning back, and if the teacher says to hell with it and tries to maintain the pace of the curriculum youl have the usual suspects kicking up murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,849 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

The reasoning no longer makes sense - a Ukrainian mayor has recalled his people, football teams are playing matches again, fast food places are reopening, hotels are taking bookings, and diplomats, politicians and celebrities have been making very public visits.

If it is safe enough for all these things, why not for those who left to return home?

Why are we still taking in new arrivals? Why are we putting them ahead of our own population and EU citizens in terms of benefits and supports, exceptions and fast tracking of access to state services, and now putting 11000 kids into classrooms that are already overcrowded in many cases, and let's not forget - classes that will be the first since covid restrictions were lifted with the readjustments that will bring (in some cases, their first year without restrictions).

This is what those still shouting about "doing more" are actually supporting.

Some schools (parents, students, teachers and BOM) are nauseatingly giddy at the prospect. Some schools are resolutely determined to try and avoid it. Opinions are considerably varied - some people only see what they imagine are positives, some people only see what they imagine are the negatives.

However, there’s no way of determining the outcomes of anything, either positive or negative, until they are actually doing it, with the objective being that all students needs are catered for and that the standards of education each student receives, doesn’t drop. That would be the same regardless of the school population or the students backgrounds.

All children have an equal right to education, and I do care that some people aren’t particularly enamoured by that idea, but if so, then those people if they don’t leave by choice, should be exited from the school so that no child’s education suffers as a consequence of their attitude towards them. It won’t be because they’re Ukrainian refugees will negatively affect any child’s education, it’ll be because of the little prick who decides they’re not entitled to the same education as he or she is. Some people say they pick up the attitude from their parents, but I’ve witnessed the way teachers influence children’s attitudes towards other people too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

I'm convinced at this stage we are talking directly to NGO's Only thing that actually makes sense if you think about it. 🤨 I mean are there any others who think resources are infinite.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭head82

... and on a lighter note..

It would seem Ukrainian doggies are fussy eaters!

Who knew?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Our eldest is in a primary school which has very high non national representation.

Having initially been a bit worried about potential language issues, have been surprised by how hard working and diligent many of the non nationals are and how quickly they have picked up and mastered English.

Don't know what secondary is like but at primary it may be good for their classmates to meet Ukranian children and hopefully the hatred being spewed here will not be repeated on the school children. I hope the Ukrainian kids get a good education while here.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DelaneyIn

Should Igor not be fighting a war instead of scouring adverts for dog food?

• Advertisement

Elephant in the room who knows the Ukrainian syllabus. Their Expected to go home so no use Re teaching them in the Irish syllabus.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,849 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Assuming that's not just someone on a wind up, that's some level of entitlement. No offers to pay for the food that doggo needs, just give us stuff!

I'm sure there must be something in the pet store that he'll eat and they have plenty of cash in their pockets to try out the options.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Gamergurll

What about schools in Gaeltacht areas? When mine started the principle asked me a number of times to move them to an English speaking school becausey sons hadn't a good enough grasp of Irish. Now the school that refuse to teach through English is being forced to for these kids.

Some of the Ukrainians men staying locally have been barred from the local supermarket for shoplifting. This shop has been supplying them with food hampers regularly, that's the thanks they got.

And a local shop just closed after 100 years, two years of covid followed by a summer of no tourism here was too much to handle. Everywhere here is full of refugees and the only place that isn't the owner has retired and shut up business this year. And still a local woman is doing donation drives for the Ukrainians here, virtue signalling is blind 🙄

I remember some eejit poster on here saying that schools in Ireland are not oversubscribed

Some schools in the South Dublin area are oversubscribed, but in the wider Dublin county and nationally, most schools are not oversubscribed. One thing that contributes to the perception of schools nationwide being oversubscribed is that parents apply for admission to a couple of schools in the area, and then when they’re offered a place in a school, they don’t inform the other schools.

The way you’re phrasing it, one is given the false impression that all the schools in the country are going to be piling the bodies on top of each other to squeeze them in. That’s not likely at all, when there are 3,200 schools in the country, and 11,000 children to be accommodated. Some schools will take in more Ukrainian refugees than others, similarly to the way in which Ukrainian refugees are being accommodated all across Europe by each country. It’s not simply the case that they’ll all be packed into the one area either or placed in schools which aren’t able to take them.

Btw, this article is from 2015, and to give some idea of what oversubscribed means -

Educate Together national schools are receiving up to six times more applications than they have available places.

A sample of four of the group's Dublin schools shows more than 1,200 applications were made for 335 places, with significant demand in some areas.

Educate Together said it has been calling on the Government for many years to provide more of its schools in Dublin to meet demand.

Spokesman Luke O'Shaughnessy said over-subscribed schools - based on the number of applications for junior infants this September - include Shellybanks in Dublin 4 with 261 applications for 139 places; Balbriggan, with 258 applications for 48 places; Holywell in Swords with 335 applications for 90 places; and Castleknock with 350 applications for 58 places.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/education/educate-together-schools-massively-over-subscribed-31001877.html

Whilst for Catholic schools around the country, oversubscription is simply not an issue (article from 2016, but again, not much has changed) -

Despite a widespread perception that 20% of primary schools are oversubscribed, a survey conducted by this newspaper has shown the figure to be less than 2%.

There are 3,200 primary schools in Ireland.

Of the 3,200 schools, 2,900 are run by the Catholic Church, which means 580 of them would need to be oversubscribed to amount to 20% of that particular sector.

However, a survey of diocesan personnel revealed that 46 Catholic primary schools are oversubscribed.

This equates to 1.6% of the 2,900 Catholic primary schools in the country.

Religious education expert Dr John Murray described the findings as “stark”.

“The actual figure is so low compared to the one that is being bandied about in the media. There is a discrepancy that is quite stark, there is no doubt about that.

“It is still a real issue for the schools that are oversubscribed but nationally it is not as big an issue as we have been led to believe,” he said.

Dr Murray insisted, based on the figures, that school oversubscription “definitely shouldn’t be an election issue”.

“People were making assumptions and things were blown out of proportion. For something of that size to be a major election issue would not make sense,” he said.

Fr Michael Drumm of the Catholic Schools Partnership (CSP) also dismissed the suggestion that there is an “enormous problem” with regard to oversubscription in schools.

“I think what is absolutely clear is that the problem is not nearly as widespread as what a lot of commentary has suggested. The number of oversubscribed schools around the country is actually very small.”

https://www.irishcatholic.com/less-than-2-of-catholic-primary-schools-are-oversubscribed-survey/

Less than 2% throughout Ireland.

Are we to believe that these children are to be scattered all over the country to different schools? Or is it far more likely that some schools are going to get swamped?

What happens if we take in another 50,000 before Christmas, will their kids not be going to school, or is that another 11,000 kids that will be enrolled in our schools, and another 100,000 next year?

So a Gaeltacht school is being made teach in English ? Jeeez… that’s the hold these people now have over those decision makersin Irish public life… I saw it coming sadly… tip of thee iceberg.

the rest, sadly that’s the same story in others parts….

literlly changing the language of schools

I'm sure they have, but I haven't looked up any figures. Lisdoonvarna comes to mind.

• Advertisement

Am I supposed to care what you do or don’t believe? My only interest was in pointing out that Daisy mentioned that she remembered some eejit poster on here saying that schools in Ireland are not oversubscribed. They’re not.

What happens if we take in another 50,000 before Christmas? I don’t know, but I hope they leave a forwarding address for Santa or they’ll be some 11,000 children waking up on Christmas morning thinking Santa’s an awful bastard when they’ve been good all year.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement