Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who shot Michael Collins.

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Cumhachtach

100% Wild, petulant.

A historian told me, and mentioned tonight, he may have had a bit of false courage from drink taken with those he met that day.

Around 1996, the year the film came out, any discussion on Collins turned into hagiography.

I think he gets the credit he deserves now but when his life is examined his human weaknesses and less favourable traits are discussed.

I always look on him as Irelands Napoleon. Both involved in so many areas of government and military, organisational abilities and crazy energy levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,854 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It certainly suggests there might be an alternative take on the 'lost leader' thing that is a popular viewpoint. As has been suggested, he was becoming increasingly authoritarian by summer 1922 and it's anyone's guess what might have happened in the ensuing few years. For all we know, he may have continued to call himself General Michael Collins and stuck with the military uniform, which doesn't necessarily sound like someone who would be entirely keen on the 'peaceful parliamentary democracy' idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

Was a Sam Maguire Protegé, learnt the dark arts in London.

Seemingly a really fast sprinter, I remember reading that in Coogan's biography.

He was one of those painful gits who hadn't a note in his head, but thought he was Percy French after 3 pints and 2 chasers.

He wore his gun outside his pants, for all the honest world to feel.

Peter Hart's bio goes through a lot of skulduggery to get on various committees in London and how he rose through Conradh, the GAA, Volunteers etc. A very different take.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Green Peter

Just watched Cold Case Collins. I’ll leave aside the background stuff.

I hoped for more use of drone photography, graphics and perhaps not a re-en action but certainly placements on roadway. A proper use of Google maps even would help. Saying “travelled west” is just silly without reference to other place holders.

Taking the cap at face value it did offer an end to some theories. The probability, which was always high, is much stronger for a rifle shot from above. The discussion which actually showed people the size of an entry hole of a high velocity round I think will give pause for thought among reasonable doubters.

In 1922 there were well founded fears of fatal retribution among the ambush party if it became known they were there or who among them fired the fatal shot. Hence the silence. Today it is possible to say that soldiers kill soldiers and that is their duty and job.

Who shot Collins? A soldier doing his duty as he saw it. Most people who read the thread will know his name. May all of the revolutionary generation, our greatest, Rest In Peace.

I am not sure the Brits would be mad about sacrificing their own World War veterans and spy assets in exchange for a high level insider in the Fenian movement. I can see how brilliant it looks ... but the Cairo Gang were not sacrificed by British intelligence ... it did not happen.

The reality is that the Brits were never that fussed about wasting resources on Ireland. They took us for granted and treated us like slaves. They never respected or loved us enough to warrant their full attention. It was far easier arming criminals to do their dirty for them. I wouldn't make the mistake of thinking they gave enough of a phuck about us to waste any time on us.

The concept of him being a plant is pure flute.

Give him his dues, he fought bravely for the Republican movement in 3 rebellions, he gave his life for this country. Like him or hate him it is lazy and fairly disrespectful to dangle allegations of treachery around him. I have never believed it and I have always found it a distasteful slur. He never went to Europe and instead decided to stay at home and spent years planning another rebellion. He brought them to the table.

The reality is that he was murdered by his own in a nasty war that the Brits were more than happy to sit back and laugh at.

A more plausible conspiracy would be that the Brits left us to scrap it out without a care in the world. They no longer had to waste their money on a country that was no longer useful to their industrial machine. They knew fine well that there would be hell to pay and they let it happen. They knew well we were going and it was easier chancing a bonus free genocide in the free state whilst not having to let the unionists down via the Home Rule Act - which was un-enforceable. It saved their face and allowed them the satisfaction of seeing Irishmen killing each other, I can just see the chunts sniggering away down the Soho Social clubs of a Thursday evening, probably necking out whiskey an all. It also allowed them to not only appease US sympathisers but also coldly use the example of the Civil war and its bloodshed to vindicate their strategy of partition to the rest of the world. They let us screw ourselves one last time and sat back and laughed.

They would not have had the imagination to groom a republican, you cannot make one up, it is either in you or it isn't.

Collins got places because he was a talented likeable spa who had the goods to match the impression he gave that he had. Some people will never forgive him for making it all look easy and being the big fella he was. He was a natural leader and his enemies knew it, so they murdered him.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,482 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

It’s just never going to be solved, no proof will ever manifest itself and as of now and forever, all that will be further will be anecdotal tales of he said, she said….. he had a motive etc….it won’t be solved. Exhumation or otherwise…

one grave mistake was Collins call “ stop and we’ll fight them “…

That careless bravado cost him his life…live to fight another day… that was the only victory that mattered…his being alive, that’s degrees more crucial for the country is more important than bravado…the emotions of the moment may have led to him making the decision…stay and fight.

Leaders though from time to time, on the spur of the moment, make bad decisions, that very definitely was one.

the victory that day was staying alive… Collins choices reduced and ultimately cost him that chance.

Marie Cassidy won’t be of the ability to say who shot him or indeed where the shot originated. All she will have is fragments of his clothing..no body… no footage, no witnesses…. so it’s a more or less uneducated guess…

all be it one that allows her to make a few bob and the producers of the programme and RTÉ too..

Theorys will be proffered, evidence examined…. At the end…“ and we will never truly know “…… because if Cassidy could solve it, it’s already being marketed and hyped to fûck…” Collins killer identified “… more people watching etc….

it will be a non event, a bit of an interesting rehash… nothing more.

I had to turn it off, thankfully none of them were using mobiles.

Cringefest, although the scenes of him faffing around Hotel hall ways slapping volunteers on the back are more than believable.

I would imagine the free state cops and investigators were a joke. Literally anyone who could polish their boots and speak straight English got the start, as long as they had a uniform for ye. Flat caps were barred.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 hekker

True, stop and fight them was a bad idea. Touring around enemy territory in an open top car with minimal protection was a bad idea. Getting out of the car and running up the road shooting up at people whom he couldn't really see was a very bad idea.

He was young, intelligent, charismatic and good looking, which is why his death grew to be of interest. He also had several faults, like all of us, and some of them probably led to his death. Ultimately he died in a bitter war which was taking place at the time. He lost, the other side won that day. Does the detail really matter. It's done and dusted now, we're 100 years down the road with our own problems to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

The hat was the only interesting thing in the whole hour and a half!

The drama bit was shite, no idea if those accounts are actually real or not. I'm guessing they were all made up as opposed to being played out from records taken by guards at the time.

Aside from the hat, it was poor enough. "So, I think we can all agree that Michael Collins died on the 22th August 1922 at Beal na Blath due to a gunshot wound to the head". Groundbreaking...

Though it has been suggested by some pundits that his death may not have been the catastrophe for Irish democracy that everyone assumes. Collins' switch to being a military leader and general and wearing a uniform during the Civil War was a rather odd development for someone who had negotiated the Treaty and was now effective head of state. The Dáil had been shut down and Ireland was more akin to a military dictatorship by August 1922. Would Collins have reverted back to being a politician after the Civil War or would he have fancied carrying on as the military style leader? It's not entirely clear that he ever really saw himself as a parliamentary type.

You could argue that the events at Beal na Blath illustrated that he was no politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,124 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Well that cold case Collins thing was absolutely rubbish. I can not stand David McCullha. What the hell was he even doing on it? He is a broadcaster and journalist FFS.

I give it a paltry 2 out of 10.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I remember reading that when Tom Barry came up to Dublin, Collins wanted to meet him and immediately decided to wrestle him then got lost the rag when Barry got the upper hand, they had to be separated. Childish or just Collins was a typical Corkman

I recall Barry or someone else stated to Barry that when they visited Dublin they could see the lads in government were already being "corrupted", they had been given a bit of power in their various ministerial positions and wanted the whole war settled down so they could get on with running the show regardless of the compromises

Childish or typical Cork😅

To me it was very 'countryish'. I'm deep rural Ireland but it seems muck savagery for grown men. Maybe it was more common 100 years ago. Hard to call a man a statesman at that shite. They were young I suppose and maybe it was a release of sorts.

Like Tom Barry beating him, when you go in to be a hardy lad, you'll always meet a hardier one.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,576 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I always assumed he was in the thick of the fighting during the War of Independance but now it seems he hadn't much experience of being in a gunfight.

Wonder did he ever kill anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Probably not directly. Unless he shot somone in 1916. The 'Cold Case Collins' did show the extremely small entry hole in his cap. It also said it wasn't a richochet (as said at the time) or that he could have talked at all after getting hit. It looked likely to be a rifle bullet from above and from the side of his head. This doesn't rule out friendly fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Miadhc

Sure he was in Dublin during the tan war and there was little or no action here. He was running the intelligence war and sending out lads on assasination missions which was just as important. Dev was in America while most of this was going on. Collins couldn't be risked.

The whole tan war was little more than a few skirmishes tbf. The ability of Collins' men to strike at the very heart of Dublin castle was what brought the British to the negotiations table.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

To be fair, Imagine Leo or Simon Harris doing anything that he did.. 😂 He may have indulged in horseplay, but he was capable of many things. Neither would be able to lace any of the boots of anyone from around then imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,124 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Whatvan absolute waste of a show and having that waster David McC on did not help it. I could have told you he was shot from above ffs. Nothing new there.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

There was a ton of action in Dublin, and it was often nasty and up close, with civilian casualties. The Brits enforced all sorts of curfews, permits and even blackouts to try stop the IRA in Dublin. the WOI wasnt all ambushes by flying comlums in lonely boreens.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Whatever people say about Collins he brought a certain set of skills, organization, energy and determination that made it impossible for the British to continue to govern. He may not have lived up to his potential but he deserved the chance.

Yes, you argue that he was a brilliant revolutionary and the perfect man to lead the country to independence.

It's rather unclear though whether he would have been a suitable leader in peacetime. He didn't really seem to like the Dáil or enjoy any of the parliamentary stuff - he was more a man of action and constantly on the move, almost very restless in character.

It annoys so much,that so much of what went on in civil war remains unacknowledged and uncommerated by the state.....we could stick up names of soldiers killed in 1916 on a memorial, government actively saught to commerate the ric (including black and tan + auxies whom were sworn in as ric members).....but ordinary people cut down,forced out of state,attacked or murdered in unofficial reprisals is never mentioned

FFG are at best quasi Home Rulers and at worst unionists.

Advertisement