Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renegging on contract

Options
  • 25-08-2022 8:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭

Might not be the correct forum but will throw it out there.

I have currently signed a 12 month contract as a contractor to do work at a place I have contracted before (Tech contract).

Issue really is this, the contract is with bank and it takes 3/4 weeks for all checks to be performed etc.

In the mean time another company as come in and is looking to offer me another role. This role might be a better fit for me.

My checks and offical start date on the contract is still more or less pending I have a provisional start date on the contract I have signed.

If I go with the second option I will need to reneg on the contract I have just signed.

Is there ever any blow back when doing this?

I know this is par for the course but just wondering if anyone has ever had a third party firm try and force a contractor to honor the contract.

I have not started so I would assume this should be a simple thanks but no thinks situation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,337 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Do you have a break period in the first contract? Typically 4 weeks is standard. So at worst, you could say you got something else, and wouldn't be able to take up the second job for 4 weeks if the first one held you to the contract. Although that would be pretty petty, as it would be a waste of their time working with someone for 4 weeks and getting someone else in...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭ShowMeTheCash

The contract more or less states that both parties need to give 4 weels notice.

However banks usually use consultant companies these companies then try and get people like myself. So technically my contract is with the third party consultant company, they would not get me to start at the bank if I was not going to stay it would look pretty bad on their part.

I have seen it happen lots of times where someone was going to join then drop out the week before they are going to start etc.

If I made the decisions today to give "notice" on my first contract I would be giving notice a few weeks 2/3 before I was actually due to start, so not sure if the 4 weeks really means anything here.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

It’s not par for the course that people to go around breaking contracts they signed up to and nobody can tell you if there is going to be actual blow back or not but the people you are dealing with. In thirty years I only had one contractor fail to show up, another went MIA but that’s another story.

Nobody in their right mind would try to force you to work for them, so it’s very unlikely that there will be any legal action. However remember that the reason you are there is because they need a body, anybody and if you are expecting to find further contact work in the future you’ll probably find that the people you mess about will not want to put you forward for contracts in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Dante

I've done this before, the background checks for the new contract took forever so I ended up going to another client which had an immediate start. **** happens, usually its only 1 weeks notice at the beginning of a contract anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭ShowMeTheCash

What field do you work? In the last 4 years at tier 1 banks I have seen around 6 contractrors originally respond with a signed contract then reneg running up to their start-date and come back and say they have a better offer elsewhere.

It is true the third party vendor may not wish to "work" with me in the future but I find recruitment firms are just looking at their commision which is understandable, but they are not looking out for the contractor only themselves which again is totally understandable.

Nobody here is "messing" anyone around, every indivudual has the right to do what is best by them and their employment and if another company comes forward that is a better fit or values an employee more then that is par for the course.

You say... "it’s very unlikely that there will be any legal action" what possible leagal action are you referring?

• Advertisement
Advertisement