Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Robert Troy - Property Mogul

• 19-08-2022 2:11pm

I'm really surprised at the lack of commentary on this case here (and apologies if there is a thread I'm missing somewhere).

The mainstream media seem to have abandoned this story at this point, now that he's amended the record, clarified certain items and released the standard mea culpa, 'nothing to see here' statement.

The scandal here to me isn't about whether or not he maintained appropriate records, or notified SIPO.

It's the very fact that he, as a former Westmeath County Councillor and current sitting TD (and Junior Minister) representing Longford-Westmeath was engaged in what appear to be fully off-market transactions with Westmeath County Council, at levels that appear to be far in excess of what comparable properties in the same estates were selling for.

Most local authorities have clear parameters in place for buying properties, and virtually all require that the property be openly listed to ensure they are paying a fair market price for the property.

The comments from the Westmeath County Council Director of Services for Housing Mark Keaveney raised more questions than answers here too; by not being able to evidence a transparent, fully above board history of transactions with Troy.

I cannot understand how this story isn't getting more attention and the press seemed to have just moved on from it.

Comments

Advertisement