Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Expanse (Amazon) [** Spoilers **]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭Evade

The limitations of live action. The Belter's should all look more like the OPA smuggler that was gravity tortured in season one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,253 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Okay, I didn’t know that. I thought that the some Belters are different based on the conditions in which they grew up or are later affect by gravity, etc in their work.

So Miller and Naomi should like that too?

It would be very interesting if they had been able to do this for all Belters in the show.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Can't remember if Miller was a belter, but yes Naomi should also be thin and tall; at least Dominique Tipper kinda had a vaguely similar physique. Some of the casting from the later seasons seemed to completely forget that requirement altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Dominique Tipper is tiny, nothing like how belters are described in the books. Miller was a belter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,314 ✭✭✭emo72

All this is irrelevant though. I don't want to see this thread bumped to the first page unless it's someone saying it's been renewed for a couple of more seasons!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,922 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Real world problems made them not bother with the height thing and go for the punk look to denote Belters.

Even Miller wasn't Belter looking enough for the books. The closest outside of gravity torture guy was the street protester OPA guy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think her physique was close enough I could suspend my disbelief, or disappointment anyway, that Naomi wasn't 2 metres tall.

Unlike Cyn in Season 5; whoever cast him clearly didn't get the brief, or didn't care anyway. TBH even a Hollywood movie, with millions of FX dollars, would have struggled with the Belters - not without completely tumbling into the Uncanny Valley.

I had a quick check on Google and no news, not so much as a rumour, of a Season 7. I think that's all we're going to get.

They could have just kept hiring skinny 6ft + people but that would put a serious limit on casting. The show was too low budget for any cgi that wouldn't look crap.

They could have just hired any and all of the local basketball players in the area 😂

I was thinking on the budget, and I reckon as they go The Expanse possibly had more wriggle room than most, despite a comparatively low total. Because being predominantly set on windowless spaceships meant there were fewer green-screen shots to process.

Ok, there was a lot - a LOT - of FX around those snazzy, floating UIs they had with their tech devices, but they were often quite discreet. While the exterior shots in space always looked amazing for their budget.

The season 1 fx were not great and that's when the belter decision was made.

The protomolecule shots looked poor in s1 too.

I also only realized last night that Fred Johnson is Klyden from Orville. He is equally great as Z in Sunny and Cutty in the wire.

• Advertisement

The most a Belter can grow up in is about 0.3g* in the good parts of Ceres usually it would be a lot less.

*also around the gravity on Mars

I haven't actually rewatched the series yet so will take your word for it; my memories of season 1 were positive enough, even if some aspects like the chaos on Eros felt smaller scale than the book.

Oh it wasnt a dig at the show. It done well with the budget and was a lot better than the usual sci-fi channel stuff.

Just on height Cara Gee is 5'5. Would you be brave enough to tell Drummer she ain't a real belter 🤣

So would would people born on Mars look more like Belters?

I had thought that the deformation of some Belters was based on living and working conditions of their parents or when they were children.

Although it would have been cool to see Belters as they should be, I can understand how it wasn’t feasible. However, it was a strange decision to have the deformed Belters at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

there was gravity Drugs that people living in low gravity were meant to get as kids growing up and as adults.

rich people got good drugs, poor people might have gotten cheep drugs, generic versions of the drugs or none at all.

some people would grow up in more gravity than others Mars = 0.375 that of Earth, some stations and asteroids would have more or less depending on the spin

and like people on the international space station work out to build/keep muscle mass, the martian marines trained to fight in 1G

also Belters trained and used drugs when they were moving to the new planets opened up by the gate, but about 20-30% of the could still not survive on the new planets and had to go back to space or died

all of that would affect the height of people in the belt, so very poor people would be tall, thin and week but the rich might not. so it was a clear way for class to be seen who had been poor growing up and who was rich or from earth.

They'd look more like the shorter Belters than they would Earthers. The casting made some of the dialogue a bit weird like when the Marines in Bobbie's unit were teasing the one born on Earth about his wrong bones despite some of them being shorter than him.

While we're on gravity related developmental issues are Lunarians ever brought up in the books? They would be as affected by low gravity issues as most of the Belters

My god that was the angriest performance in a TV drama.

I think they are Well Wallas on assignment. Not sure if generations live and die there like Mars and the Belt

• Advertisement

It has a university too so it must have some permanent population

is all that fiction or is this what science believes it would be like for people born elsewhere in the Solar System?

Yeah. Lower g for taller and weaker, higher g for shorter and stronger. It's possible we might find out the exact effects in our lifetime.

And is why Dr Who's Sontarans are tiny potato people; high gravity kept them short, muscular dwarves. One of the few times the show's science was on point lol 😂

Also why Dwarfs from the likes of Lord of the Rings are short IIRC. Closer to the core.

Apologies for bumping the thread & people mistaking it for news on a revival: but a "gameplay" trailer of the Drummer focused video-game came out.

Seeing Cara Gee talk like a normal human-being, and not a constant roiling cauldron of rage, was quite jarring lol 😂

It looks good but I wish Telltale would stop releasing their games in parts so they can branch out properly instead of having to get every branch roughly to the same place by the end of each chapter.

Agreed, and it just betrays a sense that these game developers are wannabe film directors or TV producers; as you say, the episodic format curtails the freedoms of the media, it doesn't enable it. I suppose though in this case, as you're "playing" Drummer there is an end-point you have to get to - so the choices will doubtless be twice as illusory.

At least that Star Trek game from Telltale features a whole set of new characters, so maybe it'll have a greater, more expanding storyline.

• Advertisement

Aside from the fact Drummer has to survive there's still scope for radically different branches if it wasn't episodic. Just for example, if it was a full game you could decide Drummer allies with Black Sky and part of the game has you raiding Martians around Callisto or you could go with Golden Bough and raid Earthers near Tethys, both branches having unique chatacters and set pieces. But since it's episodic you won't get that much of a choice. It might make the full game version a little shorter overall bu would really increase the replay value.

There was a PSOne star fighter sim-ish game, it might have been Colony Wars, that did something like that with how you went about the previous mission determined what mission you got next that lead to multiple endings ranging from a major victory or a crushing defeat for your side.

Advertisement