Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transgender man wins women's 100 yd and 400 yd freestyle races.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,725 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

You have my sincerest condolences if you only have the one plum to be pulled, rather reminds me of a girl I knew who, in expressing her intentions to me suggested “once you go black, you never go back”. I responded that unless she’d a third tit, I still wasn’t interested. I’m a gay racist according to her, which made me wonder did she have some kind of a persecution complex that she wanted to have sex with a gay racist. I wouldn’t, but you my friend have piqued my curiosity with your one plum which undoubtedly has to be seen to be believed 😳

It’s precisely because I am familiar with his other work, before you ever even introduced him into the discussion, that I gave the videos the benefit of the doubt, but like I said, you can still call it whatever you want. I know what I’d call it, and last time I checked, the right to freedom of expression still exists in Irish law, so I’m free to call it whatever I want. It’s not as though calling it BS is likely to have any effect whatsoever upon public order or morality.

I should suggest you familiarise yourself with Irish law before immersing yourself any further in the the cesspit you imagine has any scientific legitimacy. You might even learn something of actual value!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,517 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Your posts just get more bizarre as they go. Irish law has nothing to do with science, like I said it doesn’t care about your feelings. Read a few articles, maybe listen properly to those links I sent you and listen to an actual doctor and professor on the topic and drop the “but human rights” carry on. Your veil is very very thin.

Frank allow me to be very… frank with you.

Nobody, and you don’t have to take my word for this, but nobody cares about the science. It’s patently obvious at this stage that you don’t either. Certainly you’ll try and present scientific evidence of something, but that’s all it is - scientific evidence of something. Something completely unrelated to the issue of the right of transgender athletes to participate in sports in accordance with Irish and international human rights law.

Now, here’s the thing - there’s nothing anyone can do about people who couldn’t give a fcuk about science. But, there’s plenty people can do about people who couldn’t give a fcuk about the law. The law takes precedence over science every single day of the week, because it is laws which govern society, not science, not sports. Each of those domains are subject to the laws of the jurisdictions in which they operate.

You don’t have to like it, but you do have to live by it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

She's right about putting and approach play but she's forgetting about the drive which involves power.

"According to the data collected and analyzed, the average driving distance for male amateur club golfers in 2017 was 208.1 yards. (This number was 200 yards in 1996.) Players with a handicap of 6 or better averaged 236 yards off the tee."

"The average driving distance for female club amateurs is 146 yards. Female golfers with a handicap of 6 or better average 195 yards."

Average golfers hit their drives a surprising distance

Caitlyn Jenner defended a trans woman golfer playing in a women's golf tournament... does not have the same meaning as "Caitlyn Jenner supports trans women in women's sports" (nobody any bit reasonable takes issue with "trans athletes in sports") - especially when Jenner is on record as disagreeing with sports not being segregated based on biological sex. If there are sports where biological sex does not give a physical advantage, doesn't matter who participants identify as.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,523 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

So? Driving range isn't the end all of golfing. Let them compete together. It's not even a contact sport, none of this "women being pulverized" nonsense talking points.

To be fair though, there’s a couple of different factors involved, like the different standards between amateur and elite golf, and the players age and ability and all the rest of it -

How Far Do Female Golfers Hit Their Drives? - Scratch handicap

Scratch golfers aged 30 average 210 yards off the tee, which decreases by just four yards to 40-year-olds but then drops off significantly from 50-60.

Technique is key with the scratch player, who hits the ball out the middle of the driver on almost every shot.

A 30-year-old female scratch golfer, on average, hits their drives 46 yards longer than a 60-year-old.

This gap is wider than 10 handicaps (43 yards) and significantly wider than 20 handicaps (31 yards).

https://www.golfmonthly.com/features/the-game/how-far-do-female-golfers-hit-their-drives-233488

I don’t mind saying that 210 yards is nothing compared to how far some elite golfers in the men’s game can whack a ball so far, that it’s become a bit of an issue -

Many of the world’s best golfers are capable of driving the ball well over 300 yards. Bryson DeChambeau’s 323-yard tee average for the 2021 season leads the PGA Tour and Rory McIlroy ranks second at 319 yards. Dustin Johnson recorded a 419-yard drive in the final round of last year’s U.S. Open.

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2021-pga-tour-us-open-distance/#xj4y7vzkg

Again though it appears to be a case of much ado about nothing, as Hailey Davidson didn’t make the cut -

https://www.outsports.com/platform/amp/trans/2022/8/22/23317114/hailey-davidson-lpga-card-cut-epson-tour-trans-athlete

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Ok so peak male bone mass is 50% above that of a woman. Imagine the damage you could do to a female boxer. Your bone mass does not really decrease as a man. And in women far faster than men. I just can't get around the horror show it could be. Imagine a person used to fighting men hitting a woman in the abdomen. 1 punch could leave you infertile let alone anything worse.

Is the scapula not the most important bone in golf. larger the size the larger amount of muscle can be attached. Although glutes are important to where woman have an advantage it seems. I'm guessing it's more to do with a swing.

Ok so peak male bone mass is 50% above that of a woman

[needs citation]

• Advertisement

Why I implied a woman advantage I would have no issue with golf being man vs woman. Same with target shooting for example. Just most sports men have the advantage. Why don't we see females in F1 surely body weight would confer an advantage in fuel use.

One of the olympians I posted about the other week was the gold medalist in a skiing/shooting competition, beating the scores of her male peers.

ofc but are the points not off hitting the target not so much the ski. were talking about the biathlon ?

ahhh kk. that's more like clay pigeon shooting no reason a woman can't be better than a man at that. I have seen some amazing female target shooting in quick draw and stuff like that. I'm all for any event that the user is using something to compete. But male vs female tennis would be boring I hazard a guess. Would fully endorse females in the shot put and discus using the same weight items. Or male using the lighter one.

Nobody cares about science…get the help you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,415 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

OEJ certainly doesn't care about the science because it disagrees with his worldview.

Cherry picking facts and presenting them as “the science” in order to justify prejudice and discrimination isn’t science, it’s perpetuating ignorance. It’s akin to what’s known as ‘scientific racism’ -

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_racism

“No empirical data on transgender athletes competing at elite levels in sports? Never mind, we’ll just make up our own and call it peer-reviewed scientific evidence in order to justify our policies which are unjustifiable”

That’s not practicing scientific inquiry, and there’s nothing scientific in their methods, it’s manipulating data and abusing science. It was commonly used to justify discrimination against other groups in society when crusty old farts wanted to ignore facts which didn’t suit their narrative in order to maintain their belief in their own superiority over other people.

When they exclude the possibility of any competition, it’s easy to maintain their beliefs. I wouldn’t call it science though, notwithstanding the fact that currently there is no consensus among scientists about transgender athletes performance at elite levels in sports, never mind the whole multitude of other factors regarding their participation in the first place or their health and safety. Governing bodies do appear to offer them the same protection as they offer women in women’s sports though - that seems to consist of being perfectly willing to throw them under the bus and sit back while they are subjected to public humiliation.

And now, he is telling us what is and isn’t science. Remind us, what are your qualifications for this?

(longwinded post about racism, feelings and Broscience incoming folks, prepare yourselves)

• Advertisement

Member of society Frank, that’s all the qualifications are required to express an opinion on anything, y’know, like you’re doing - name-dropping and video-dumping without so much as even a fcuking half-baked idea of the science behind it, all the while giving me the “listen to the maaan, what are YOUR credentials!”, and accusing ME of throwing my toys out of the pram!

Jog on mate, honestly 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 8,221 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

That humans are a sexually dimorphic species with clear differences between those sexes , like many other animals, isn't half baked science or an opinion. We are pretty good at distinguishing who is male and who is female, through both scientific methods which are observable, provable, objective facts, and our own eyes and brains which over thousands of years have become pretty good at identifying who to partner/mate with. If you believe otherwise you're in cloud cuckoo land I'm afraid.

It’s all going well ceadaoin up to this point -

We are pretty good at distinguishing who is male and who is female, through both scientific methods which are observable, provable, objective facts, and our own eyes and brains which over thousands of years have become pretty good at identifying who to partner/mate with.

Not who, ‘what’, because remember it’s science and observation and objectivity and all that craic, not your subjective judgement which is loaded with observer bias.

It’d be silly of me to suggest you have at least a 50% biological advantage over me when it comes to your brain interpreting visual information 🤨 But y’know, objectively speaking, it’s a fact 😂

If you believe otherwise you're in cloud cuckoo land I'm afraid.

And again it’s back to your own subjective bias, rather like the way because I didn’t want to have sex with a particular girl, she determined that I must be either gay, racist, or both. She didn’t stick around long enough for me to ask, disappearing in a huff of coke.

So you don't dispute that humans are a sexually dimorphic species and that our sex is observable, and objectively measurable and testable? Great

Not sure what your point is there? That humans, as a species, generally have no idea of whether someone is male or female just by observing them? Do you really think that? Of course sometimes we might get it wrong for various reasons. Doesn't change the fact that our brains are hardwired to do so, and pretty well . Your claims that sex differences are "bro science", opinions or "half baked ideas" and not both observable traits and objective facts are just nonsense

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/8460447_Sex_differences_in_face_gender_recognition_in_humans

So you don't dispute that humans are a sexually dimorphic species and that our sex is observable, and objectively measurable and testable? Great 

I never have disputed it in the first place. In fact just so we’re absolutely clear - the notion that humans can change sex by mere linguistic willpower alone, is nonsense. I detest the idea of having to use terms like “trans woman”, because it’s not just an oxymoron, it’s moronic, and it’s misleading AF.

I’ll still smack them on the arse as they’re bending over to get their non-fat yoghurt in the office fridge though… I’m not that much of a cnut that I’d exclude anyone from being sexually harassed 😒

Not sure what your point is there? That humans, as a species, generally have no idea of whether someone is male or female just by observing them? Do you really think that? Of course sometimes we might get it wrong for various reasons.

We HOPE they are, depending upon our intent 😂

But it was more the way you said ‘who’, and not ‘what’ - ‘who’ being subjective, ‘what’ being objective, like when women complain about being objectified, y’know, just because some women are ok with it, shouldn’t mean the behaviour is acceptable, it’s clearly not ok to regard people as mere objects.

Doesn't change the fact that our brains are hardwired to do so, and pretty well .

Steady on, whoa there. I don’t agree with the premise of that statement at all. Our brains aren’t ‘hardwired’ to do shìt. Quite the opposite, they’re malleable AF. Neuroplasticity is a thing. Now, that being said, from the article you linked to, they appear to have conducted experiments on mice, and extrapolated that to humans based upon the idea that we have similar neurological networks. The conclusion is nowhere near the theory, but I understand what you’re driving at - it’s basically the way the idea is commonly expressed, as opposed to the way it is expressed from a scientific perspective. That’s due to attempts to popularise science. They’re basically trying to make science more relatable to the general public. That’s how we ended up with this steaming pile of junk science -

Left me fcuking cold 😒

Your claims that sex differences are "bro science", opinions or "half baked ideas" are just nonsense

No, you need to go back and look at the claims Frank is making - the effects of testosterone on the human body. But I have never disputed this, nor do I need to submit myself to sitting through at least ten hours of bullshìt peddling, to know that it’s peddling bullshìt, like James Damore levels of bullshìt. THAT is the BroScience I’m referring to, and Frank hasn’t moved beyond calling names yet, let alone gone so far as to form even a half-baked idea of his own that he doesn’t expect to be plagiarised by proxy through expecting me to listen to the videos he threw up as evidence in search of an argument.

That’s never been the way discussions have worked around here, and unless Boards changed the rules recently and told nobody, I’m going to assume the same rules still apply.

Sexual dimorphism doesn't exclude the ability to compete together.

It kind of does when the differences give one sex significant advantages over the other in many sporting events.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭plodder

“No empirical data on transgender athletes competing at elite levels in sports? Never mind, we’ll just make up our own and call it peer-reviewed scientific evidence in order to justify our policies which are unjustifiable”

That’s not practicing scientific inquiry, and there’s nothing scientific in their methods, it’s manipulating data and abusing science. It was commonly used to justify discrimination against other groups in society when crusty old farts wanted to ignore facts which didn’t suit their narrative in order to maintain their belief in their own superiority over other people.

You're still banging on about this? What you're doing here reminds me a bit of climate science deniers. They tend to say things like:

"Oh, look at this so-called science. It's only based on models and predictions. There's no empirical data to prove these models"

which is true in a limited technical sense. The models aren't easily verifiable or falsifiable. The answer is obvious though. As the saying goes "there is no planet B" to do the experiments on or to move to, if we do make the present one uninhabitable. We use the best science that is available without risking f**king everything up.

The empirical data that you are looking for is presumably trans women being allowed to compete at all levels of sport (not sure where you stand on T suppression, but some prominent high level trans athletes don't think that should even be required) and then we watch what happens over some significant period of time. How many records are broken (or necks); how many women are denied their chance at the top competitions? But after some period of time we'll have "empirical data" which proves it "conclusively", though doubtless we'll never have enough. One thing is sure, there will be some amount of disruption to women's sports.

While doing the above is not "the end of the world" in the climate sense, sports science is good and strong enough to know we don't need to endure that level of disruption and eventual disappointment to even more trans women than today, simply for the purpose of delay and avoidance of doing the right thing. The science tells us what the performance difference between men and women is, and we have data going back around 20 years on the (limited) effects of T suppression. It's a fact that many of the physiological advantages that men have which account for the performance difference are not reversed by testosterone suppression.

Video dumping, 2 videos that terrified you to the core because it makes a show of your whole argument, if we can even call it that.

You simply don’t want to even read the science or listen to it because it goes directly against your position, and you can’t handle it. Just admit that part, honesty is a great thing, even to yourself. 😘

• Advertisement

So you admit, you didn’t bother your hole to watch the videos. Rest my case, folks. Poor ol Jack wouldn’t know a scientific fact if it gave him a kiss.

Advertisement