Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minister 'misinterpreted the requirements' after failure to declare second house in Longford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

What price was a house down that way in 2002, about 100k? So 10k for a deposit, that's 5k saved per year. Which is doable if you are living at home I'd imagine.

I lived at home longer than I should have, to be able to save for a deposit. It was difficult back then, but it's impossible in the current climate.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Even if you allow him one property, even the banks at the height of their craziness weren't allowing by now ex-employee (he was only in the bank for a short period) leverage that into 11 for a 20 something year old.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

He has broken the law.

He has abused his position of privilege as a well paid elected representative of the people to further his own private interests.

He was a minister responsible for company regulation, yet couldn't follow the regulations required by him to protect the democratic process, though he could follow the regulations to claim roughly €50k in expenses annually.

Nobody cares about his private life, who he sleeps with or what colour jocks he wears.

If you want to look the other way at open corruption in our society, that is your prerogative.

Most of us won't.

He is still an elected representative of the people.

This is far from over.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,763 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Well done to Fianna Fail and Fine Gael. Along with absolutely making a mess of social policy such as housing for generations they have most likely ensured a Sinn Fein Govt after the next election as their support base collapses.

Took some doing. Collins would be turning in his grave at the state of them.

• Advertisement

But FFFG haven't made a mess of housing. For the Landlords, it's exactly how they want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,043 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

This is exactly it.

It blows my mind when people keep saying we have a housing crisis. We don't.

The system is working exactly how they want it to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Well we do have a housing crisis. By design. It's still a crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

FF and FG have done exactly what they wanted. It's mission accomplished for them and their landlord/hedge fund friends.

I had to laugh at the minister with 3 chins (don't even know his name and don't care) at the opening of "affordable" apartments in Clondalkin the other day. He was delighted with himself charging people 1250 euro a month for two beds and championing this as affordable. These guys have no concept of reality.

This is the thing - they've handed the opposition (all parties) so much momentum through their continued inability to tackle housing and their ability to move from one PR disaster to the next, each time compounding the mistake by prolonging the inevitable. We've had Hogan, Cowan, Calleary, Bailey, Zappone, and now Troy in the last 2 years alone. Zappone's defence by Coveney was embarrassing, as were his frankly incredulous excuses around his phone. Coveney is also now linked to the shenanigans at An Bord Pleanala as the now disgraced and resigned Deputy Chair Paul Hyde is a childhood friend of his, they co-owned a yacht together (as men of the people do), and Coveney was the person who first appointed him to a state body (not ABP btw). The defence of Troy on both sides of the FFG divide was embarrassing for all concerned. Their ability to continually score own goals is beyond a joke at this stage.

It's inevitable SF will be in power after the next election. The only question is whether they will be in a majority or not.

Post edited by ButtersSuki on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Where are all the "politicians have a very tough job, it's 24 hours a day, non stop, they're always working" crowd?

Isn't it amazing how a lot of these politicians run multiple businesses at the same time? Clearly they do not hand off these businesses to professionals to run when they're so often forgetting things or letting things go unpaid...

Here's Ciaran Cannon, another business owner who ran up a rates bill of over 15k

• Registered Users Posts: 3,250 ✭✭✭nc6000

All Darragh O'Brien has to do is keep the head down for another few months and he'll be gone from the housing job and it's over to someone else to handle. Plenty of new schemes to be announced which do little to help and on we go for another while.

Like turning up all smiles at the opening of a food bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭Shelga

I think another aspect that has made this case strike such a nerve is the age of Troy. This is not a man in his 60s/70s, who built up property over many decades. He is the exact age that represents the slamming shut of the gate of property ownership to everyone else. As he brazenly says "I won't apologise for being a landlord", he completely fails to acknowledge that what he did would have been utterly impossible just 6 years later.

This is what angers so many people about the rollercoaster that is the property market in Ireland. It completely depends upon what stage of the boom/bust cycle you come of age in and want to settle down. I know housing is a global issue, but the speed it went from "houses for everyone!" to absolutely zero prospect of ever owning a home is pretty wild. I feel like there was a pretty small window after the recession- from about 2015 to just before the pandemic, where it may have been possible. Now, it feels like to many people, if you don't have a property by now, you never will, and will age out soon for a mortgage.

I used to feel genuinely sorry for people stuck in negative equity during the recession. I still have some sympathy, but at least while those people were dealing with the stress of huge debt, they were able to start families and realise the most basic dream of having a space to call your own. I don't think senior cabinet ministers in FFG have the slightest clue or understanding what it's like to be in your 30s, working full-time, and living in your mother's box room, saving 70% of your take-home pay for years on end, acutely aware of the ticking of your biological clock, feeling like a complete failure for being unable to achieve something that seemed easy and straightforward for your parents. Or paying 50-60% of your take home pay on rent, to pay the mortgages of people like Robert Troy, who apparently "worked hard for all he has". Does he think the rest of us don't work hard? His sense of entitlement and refusal to acknowledge the insane levels of difference for 20 year olds now compared to 2002 is fcuking disgusting. Also, don't whinge about media intrusion and then mention you bought your first house at 20- it's all people are talking about on Twitter.

From the beginning, it felt clear to me that this was never about the semantics of what was technically legal- something Martin and Varadkar completely missed. It's because he represents the massive, massive gulf between the over 40s and under 40s in this country, and epitomises their cluelessness in the face of glaring and growing inequality. We're all just so worn down by years and years of saving, and stress, and hard work, with absolutely nothing to show for it.

Way beyond Irish begrudgery, it comes down to: Why does he get 11 houses, and we get none?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

A government of landlords governing in the interest of landlords.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,465 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

A point of order but why are so many landlords getting out of the letting business?

Why are so many landlords getting out of the business of letting?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

No 16 year old with no leaving is walking into a customer relations position at a bank, even AIB. Nobody working for two years (if he did the leaving) at a low level position can save for a deposit for a house. Its one or the other. You can't get into college with no leaving unless you are applying as a mature student (over 23) or paying privately. If he did it, fair play, but its quite a hum dinger is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭FoxForce5

To me , growing up in rural Ireland, been born into the postmasters family would be silver spoon territory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭AlanG

11 properties in westmeath probably cost the same as two in Dublin. Lots of people bought additional properties based solely on the asset inflation in their first property. It's not unusual at all.

The main issue I see is the flipping of properties to the Co Co. For that the Co Co officials should be explaining.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,348 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I'd love to know who did Robert Troy know in Lucan AIB to be appointd a customer services manager as a 17 year old straight out of school?

Except they're not solely in Westmeath, they're in Dublin too.

"Lessons learned" is now a punch line. We know FF/FG will just hope it goes away. If they were smart, (but they put greed above smarts) they'd be out in front and enforcing ethics and regulations for ministers. But they won't, that's how they make their money and no point being in power if you can't fiddle.

Because they think a recession is coming so wanna cash out?

You know things are off kilter when FG are defending FF.

No, it's not that simple. There's a multitude of reasons. An upcoming recession would be one reason for some, but not many given the long-term nature of this type of investment. Other more prominent reasons include the increased regulation of landlords, the imbalance of rights in the tenant and landlord relationship, the taxes and charges levied on private landlords v those levied against institutional investors and hedge funds etc.., and the difficulties landlords face (and lost rents etc.) when trying to remove non-paying and overholding tenants.....amongst others.

Landlords have been leaving the letting business for years now, according to independent data, not just the past few months.

If its all so good for them, why are they cashing in now? Surely they should stay in the game?

People want their cake and eat it too when it comes to the question of landlords, but the facts on the ground don't hold sway to the narrative.

Have we actual stats on that? Or is it spin?

I would have thought that given the extortionate rents, it has never been a better time to be a landlord. Troy seems happy with 11 properties...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,510 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I'm not defending Robert. I think if you rooted you'd get a lot more on him. He was on the fiddle and didn't expect to get caught.

From my understanding he was born in 1982, did his Leaving Cert in June 1999 and started working in September 1999 when he'd been 17. He'd have turned 18 in January 2000.

I'm fairly sure I was told in Secondary School the banks even took on LCA's at time.

The Bank might have being doing some type of scheme back then accepting Leaving Certs. He did stuff relating to it at college.

From my understanding his parents ran the local Post Office. This may have helped him wiggle into the Bank job also. He could have of course done it on his own merit.

Regarig the mortgage he got when he was 20. It might have been small, he could have lived rent free, also the banks were meant to have been throwing money at people.

Advertisement