Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭zg3409

• Registered Users Posts: 11,356 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

What's this? Genuine discussion of ESB deliverables and holding them to their original timelines? Madness! 😱

I suspect EVANI will have trouble getting interviews with ESB in future 😒

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 9,151 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Ok fair enough, esb have 2 such hubs

I'd edit if I could

I was assuming that only one car was charging and that in this case the full 150kW was going to the ccs car as andybobandy had suggested in his rant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭loopymum

I'm in Thurles for a few days next week. Do I need to pay for parking if I'm charging at Station?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭jprboy

It used to be free some years ago but Plugshare suggests it is pay parking so hard to be sure on this one.

There is also an EasyGo 22 kW (2 sockets) at Lidl on the Slievenamon Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,341 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

So in response to the scathing criticism eCars received regarding their newly laid out site in Tralee (and it must have been scathing as Anna was ordered out in full on defensive mode), lets have a look at their reasoning behind such a poor layout.....

• Commercial Agreement with the site owner - So the agreement must have been for 3 spaces, yet there is capacity to charge 4 cars at once!! So either find a new site that will accommodate the proposed hub, or tailor the existing site to suite the agreement (i.e. don't have the AC socket and make it a 3 car hub with only 3 spaces).
    • Local traffic & population volumes - Don't see how this has a bearing on how poorly a site is laid out.
    • Electricity connection capacity & cost - no bearing on the Tralee site as it supports 3 simultaneous DC charging sessions
    • Available suitable space on site - See point 1, if the site is not suitable, find a better site.
    • Compliance with planning permission - So eCars submit poor plans, and have to abide by those poor plans. ok.
    • Site safety considerations - not sure what these are other than cars will drive in/out of spaces, and pedestrians might be walking around the cars. no difference to any carpark/forecourt anywhere in Ireland.
    • Universal Accessibility - Well this is clearly a joke as just look at the way the site is laid out.... Most EV's will only be able to use a combination of 2 of the 3 available spaces in Tralee to DC charge (with the exception of front badge chargers like MG, Leaf, Zoe etc...)
    • Best fit charger model & associated outputs - again, a pi$$ take due to the way Tralee and most other hubs are laid out... AC socket at the Tralee site (which is next to a hospital), will be used for hours on end thus blocking a DC plug for hours on end, despite there being 9 AC sockets in Tralee (10 now).

So in summary, you should blame everyone but ESB eCars for the sh1tty layouts of their sites as they can only piddle with the paddle they have!!!

And all you plebs know nothing of the struggles they face in deploying Ireland best charging network, so best to know your place and be grateful for the stellar work done to date by Irelands premier EV charging network.

And just to confirm, the AC plug at this site is now live….. So anyone looking to visit the hospital, this is a good spot for a few hours...... and I'd say parking is free.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I think the blame for poor site layouts should go to Nissan for placing the CHAdeMO connector on the front of the car ignoring all evidence that it's much safer to reverse into a space and exit by driving forwards. Hopefully soon the eCars layout person will realise that charging ports are now just as likely to on the side of a car and that a pull through layout is much more accessible

Hey we can't even get car manufacturers to agree on a side to put the petrol cap on, don't think we're gonna get them to agree on the charging port either

ECars: We're idiots but won't admit to it

Everyone: We already know...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I like my response to her.

Best Regards

Anna

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

Could we ever see the day where esb ecars sites get priority over non ecars charging sites in the event of an energy shortage?

What’s their SLA for providing power to high usage users/sites ? I presume there’s some kind of force majeure built in somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭loopymum

Junction 14

Charged my 28 ioniq up twice today & thought I ended up at the same charger each time but the last charge was so slow! Different Id each time

That's really slow isn't it

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Eirgrid is independent from ESB, ESB Networks are responsible for repairs, construction and maintenance but do not have any control over where energy is sent or used.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭wassie

MGs, Renaults and some Kias have connectors at the front of the car as well

Or are you just bashing Nissan for some unknown reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭Old diesel

I doubt eCars have done bad layouts just to suit Nissans.

I would say its a case of them making a half arsed job of making do with whatever sites they get tbh.

Im wondering if that site turns out to be less crap then it appears when you actually go to charge there.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

None of them existed in 2011-12 when the layouts of ecars chargers were standardized

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Repeated attempts to charge all failed in Tuam today. Across both charging units, struggled to have my (EasyGo) card recognised several times, and when I did manage to get a session started, it stopped within a second or two - three times.

I gave up and drove to Ballindine for a slower charge.

• Advertisement

I think that's pretty optimistic to say Ecars layout was standardsied, seems to change every 10 mins

So far we've got

• DC with 2 spaces
    • DC with 2 spaces but cable is too short to reach one (Applegreen M11)
    • DC with 4 spaces, 2 of which have an empty pillar (Castlebelligham, etc.)
    • 2x DC with 4 spaces (a truly rare beast, only 2 that I know of, Dublin Port & Galway)
    • HPC + DC with 3 spaces (Blanch, Tralee, Killcullen, Galway Plaza)
    • HPC with 2 spaces (Frankfield)
    • 2x HPC with 4 spaces (Tuam)
    • 4x HPC with 4 spaces, but half the plug are slower for stupid reasons (Mayfield)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭innrain

There is an ongoing issue with ESB chargers and 3rd parties. They simply don't work. Some time they don't work for ESB users so don't introduce another unknown in the equation. At least when using ESB account you ring the number on the charger and they can blame your car or the previous user. EasyGo can't do that for you :)

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

To be fair, I almost exclusively use eCars chargers when I'm not charging at home. Difficulties authenticating are nothing new, but the charging session repeatedly ending as soon as it starts is a new one on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭eltoastero

Recent issue at the Enniscorthy 50kW charger, I started the charging session via the app as I usually do, I knew I needed between 30 to 40 mins of charging to get at least 30kWh to continue on my journey. When I went to check the app later to see how long I'd been charging I couldn't see my charging session data (just "charger in use"). So I wander back to the charger and I still can't manage my session from the phone app, the screen doesn't give me an option to stop the charge, my RDIF card (ESB eCars own one) doesn't grant me access to my session so I've to call the customer support line (I could have hit the big red button but that's probably going to cause trouble for the next user).

Many minutes of automated rubbish telling me all about the great app I finally get (a really helpful) customer service agent and they help me stop my session ..... at 44 minutes and 50 seconds. I wonder would I have been liable for the overstay fee if I'd gone over 45 mins if I'd been delayed getting through to customer services?

Just something to watch out for, if you can't see your charging session elapsed time in the eCars app you might not be able to stop your charging session (1st time I've encountered this bug).

PS also annoying that after 45mins of DC charging and I was barely over 50% full. But I'd far rather see 50kW chargers deployed in towns than on motorway routes, where they should be minimum 100kW.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭wassie

One of the Dublin Port Circle K ecars chargers does that regularly to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,072 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Can you not stop a charge from your car itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭eltoastero

There isn't an easy way to do it (unlike a Model 3 that I rented previously, a nice big button on screen to stop charging).

The only ways I can think of doing it would be to change the setting that locks the charger in place to "never lock" and just yank the cable out, but this sounds unsafe. Or I could lower the "max charge limit" to a value less than the current SoC and that should stop the charge (but whether it allows me to unlock the charging connector - I do not know). It's certainly something I'd welcome in the car UI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,325 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

ID3 & ID4 can stop a charge via the car menu.

Advertisement